Hackers of the world, unite!

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / Recent spam and servers comparison

SubjectAuthor
* Recent spam and servers comparisonSpiros Bousbouras
+* Recent spam and servers comparisonrek2 hispagatos
|`- Recent spam and servers comparisonThe Doctor
`* Recent spam and servers comparisonRetro Guy
 `* Recent spam and servers comparisonSpiros Bousbouras
  +- Recent spam and servers comparisonD
  `- Recent spam and servers comparisonThe Doctor

1
Recent spam and servers comparison

<G7+qhYh16j=oZgIwD@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3219&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3219

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Recent spam and servers comparison
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:15:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:15 UTC

This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...

accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through

news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.

news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
there remain
<8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
<498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
<288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>

news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
<8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .

Thank you to all the admins responsible for all the great clean up
job.

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<ufurl7$2b2e5$2@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3225&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3225

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: Recent spam and servers comparison
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:16:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:16 UTC

On 2023-10-08, Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...
>
> accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through
>
> news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.
>
> news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
> there remain
> <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
> <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
> <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>
>
> news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
> lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
> news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
><8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .
>

> Thank you to all the admins responsible for all the great clean up
> job.

I just installed cleanfeed on our server,
I think I asked this 1 month or go but lost the thread,
how will I go about blocking all google groups on
cleanfeed server side so my users do not have to do it
on their clients ( I asked none needs or wants to habe google groups
posts )

ReK2

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<368af4429d2ac41b9fdbcd2ff9490eac@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3226&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3226

Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:43:20 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:43 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...

> accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through

> news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.

> news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
> there remain
> <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
> <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
> <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>

> news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
> lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
> news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
> <8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .

Thank you for posting the name of a group being spammed (sci.lang.japan).
It helps to know groups to monitor. While the filtering is by message
content, not groups, it's helpful to know where to look to find stuff
not being filtered.

> Thank you to all the admins responsible for all the great clean up
> job.

Thanks! I handle i2pn2.org, also other admins are doing a great job. I
think eternal-september.org is attacking the spam well, and will only
get better. It takes time to improve the filters while watching out
for false positives.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<kUawxVIWGTH2xjC4y@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3227&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3227

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:29:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:29 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:43:20 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:
> Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>
> > This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...
>
> > accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through
>
> > news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.
>
> > news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
> > there remain
> > <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
> > <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
> > <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>
>
> > news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
> > lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
> > news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
> > <8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .
>
> Thank you for posting the name of a group being spammed (sci.lang.japan).
> It helps to know groups to monitor. While the filtering is by message
> content, not groups, it's helpful to know where to look to find stuff
> not being filtered.

comp.lang.cobol and comp.theory have also had a recent explosion of
spam but it seems to be of the same kind as comp.lang.c .

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<a3df526970adf41b85f270d4bdaf6480@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3228&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3228

From: J@M (D)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 23:34:03 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:34 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:29:16 -0000 (UTC), Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:43:20 +0000
>retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:
>> Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>> > This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...
>> > accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through
>> > news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.
>> > news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
>> > there remain
>> > <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
>> > <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
>> > <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>
>>
>> > news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
>> > lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
>> > news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
>> > <8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .
>>
>> Thank you for posting the name of a group being spammed (sci.lang.japan).
>> It helps to know groups to monitor. While the filtering is by message
>> content, not groups, it's helpful to know where to look to find stuff
>> not being filtered.
>
>comp.lang.cobol and comp.theory have also had a recent explosion of
>spam but it seems to be of the same kind as comp.lang.c .

thus by example, using freeware 40tude Dialog to demote *googlegroups.com*
message-id and reference headers to -9999 instead of simply deleting them,
and using local system time(00:00-24:00|MT/UT-7) for daily/monthly totals,
since the beginning of this year 1 Jan 2023, totals from googlegroups.com:

alt.comp.freeware = 26601
comp.lang.c = 20643
comp.lang.cobol = 262
comp.theory = 3740
sci.lang.japan = 6260

etc... as everyone knows, that's only an tiny sample of the mass invasion
of the horrid ectoplasmic goo

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<ufvhlb$72p$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3230&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3230

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:31:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:31 UTC

In article <ufurl7$2b2e5$2@matrix.hispagatos.org>,
rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org> wrote:
>On 2023-10-08, Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...
>>
>> accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through
>>
>> news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.
>>
>> news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
>> there remain
>> <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
>> <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
>> <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>
>>
>> news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
>> lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
>> news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
>><8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .
>>

>> Thank you to all the admins responsible for all the great clean up
>> job.
>

>I just installed cleanfeed on our server,
>I think I asked this 1 month or go but lost the thread,
>how will I go about blocking all google groups on
>cleanfeed server side so my users do not have to do it
>on their clients ( I asked none needs or wants to habe google groups
>posts )
>
>ReK2

You should do so now.

>--
>- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
>- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2
>- https://keyoxide.org/A31C7CE19D9C58084EA42BA26C0B0D11E9303EC5

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
An oil stain on the carpet is not removed by picking up the litter. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Recent spam and servers comparison

<ufvhmk$72p$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3231&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3231

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:32:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 00:32 UTC

In article <kUawxVIWGTH2xjC4y@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:43:20 +0000
>retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:
>> Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>>
>> > This isn't meant to be authoritative or comprehensive but...
>>
>> > accessing comp.lang.c and sci.lang.japan through
>>
>> > news.cyber23.de : all the spam still present.
>>
>> > news.i2pn2.org : comp.lang.c completely clean ; for sci.lang.japan
>> > there remain
>> > <8f95a880-73d7-4456-8399-aaa50ef6aa84n@googlegroups.com>
>> > <498f932b-642f-40f8-bc19-f92790344f80n@googlegroups.com>
>> > <288fbb5a-b3bf-4568-a547-bdcf73495583n@googlegroups.com>
>>
>> > news2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de : somewhere inbetween ; still a
>> > lot of the comp.lang.c spam (but not as much as you see with
>> > news.cyber23.de) but clean sci.lang.japan apart from
>> > <8404feee-2d97-4c48-b671-8fd9a6424294n@googlegroups.com> .
>>
>> Thank you for posting the name of a group being spammed (sci.lang.japan).
>> It helps to know groups to monitor. While the filtering is by message
>> content, not groups, it's helpful to know where to look to find stuff
>> not being filtered.
>
>comp.lang.cobol and comp.theory have also had a recent explosion of
>spam but it seems to be of the same kind as comp.lang.c .

UGH!