Computer programs expand so as to fill the core available.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

SubjectAuthor
* EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediabad sector
+- Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaCarlos E.R.
`* Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaMarco Moock
 `* Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediabad sector
  +- Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaMarco Moock
  +- Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaDaniel65
  +- Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaCarlos E.R.
  `* Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediaPaul
   `- Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other mediabad sector

1
EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<1Z6dnY5yX--n4F74nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=alt.os.linux#3216

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 07:53:14 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media
 by: bad sector - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:53 UTC

Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be at
the bottom/beginning?

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<18ec9kxo66.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3217&group=alt.os.linux#3217

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 14:47:13 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 13:47 UTC

On 2024-02-07 13:53, bad sector wrote:

> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be at
> the bottom/beginning?

Fixed position starting at LBA 0.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<uq0pm5$1idq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=alt.os.linux#3218

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:37:24 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:37 UTC

On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:

> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be
> at the bottom/beginning?

Please describe more precisely what you mean.
The EFI system partition can be anywhere.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<wKOdnfZu3ssMY174nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3219&group=alt.os.linux#3219

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:05:05 -0500
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 22:05 UTC

On 2/7/24 15:37, Marco Moock wrote:
> On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:
>
>> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be
>> at the bottom/beginning?
>
> Please describe more precisely what you mean.
> The EFI system partition can be anywhere.

I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any partition
10 or 11 before 2. If I can put EFI anywhere then I can use 1-9 for
OS'es and place all the others above. Otherwise (and I just did this but
can easily back out) I start OS partitions with 11 with the also-rans
1-10 (like EFI, swap, some datas).

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<uq2370$1sr9a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3222&group=alt.os.linux#3222

From: mm+usenet@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:26:08 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:26 UTC

Am 07.02.2024 schrieb bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>:

> On 2/7/24 15:37, Marco Moock wrote:
> > On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:
> >
> >> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to
> >> be at the bottom/beginning?
> >
> > Please describe more precisely what you mean.
> > The EFI system partition can be anywhere.
>
> I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any
> partition 10 or 11 before 2. If I can put EFI anywhere then I can use
> 1-9 for OS'es and place all the others above. Otherwise (and I just
> did this but can easily back out) I start OS partitions with 11 with
> the also-rans 1-10 (like EFI, swap, some datas).

Should work.

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<uq23u9$1ssul$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3223&group=alt.os.linux#3223

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:38:36 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:38 UTC

bad sector wrote on 8/2/24 9:05 am:
> On 2/7/24 15:37, Marco Moock wrote:
>> On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it
>>> to be at the bottom/beginning?
>>
>> Please describe more precisely what you mean. The EFI system
>> partition can be anywhere.
>
> I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any
> partition 10 or 11 before 2. If I can put EFI anywhere then I can use
> 1-9 for OS'es and place all the others above. Otherwise (and I just
> did this but can easily back out) I start OS partitions with 11 with
> the also-rans 1-10 (like EFI, swap, some datas).

Might it help if you called the partitions '01', '02', '03', etc, or
would the leading Zero's be ignored??
--
Daniel

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<nmve9kxbi9.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3224&group=alt.os.linux#3224

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:57:27 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:57 UTC

On 2024-02-07 23:05, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/7/24 15:37, Marco Moock wrote:
>> On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be
>>> at the bottom/beginning?
>>
>> Please describe more precisely what you mean.
>> The EFI system partition can be anywhere.
>
> I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any partition
> 10 or 11 before 2.

Grub will list ALL OSES no matter where you put them in the disk or
where you place the ESP partition (that's its proper name).

Actually, it is a script. This is done by os-prober. Just edit the big
script to make it do whatever you want. Easy peasy.

:-P

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<uq38g7$23e3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3225&group=alt.os.linux#3225

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 14:02:31 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:02 UTC

On 2/7/2024 5:05 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/7/24 15:37, Marco Moock wrote:
>> On 07.02.2024 um 07:53 Uhr bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Can it be anywhere on the disk or is there an imperative for it to be
>>> at the bottom/beginning?
>>
>> Please describe more precisely what you mean.
>> The EFI system partition can be anywhere.
>
> I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any partition 10 or 11 before 2. If I can put EFI anywhere then I can use 1-9 for OS'es and place all the others above. Otherwise (and I just did this but can easily back out) I start OS partitions with 11 with the also-rans 1-10 (like EFI, swap, some datas).

The essence of being a multibooter, is recognizing when
boot methods are using partition numbers and not BLKIDs.

A lot of Linux is BLKIDs, but not all of it!

Despite our thinking that it is the year 2024, it really isn't.
It's still 1980 for some things.

This is why, we do things in a defensive manner.
We install Windows first, so it won't upset GRUB.
Our second Windows can be parachuted in, it does not have to be installed.
A number of things can be parachuted (cloned over from another disk).
Things to the left, are progressively more brittle.

GPT Partitioned

1 2 3 4
+-----+------+---------------+--------------+-----------------+--------------+-----------------+----------+----------+----------+--------+
| MBR | EFS | MSR 16MB NoFS | Windows C: | System Reserved | Windows D: | System Reserved | Ubuntu | Mint | Slack | Swap |
+-----+------+---------------+--------------+-----------------+--------------+-----------------+----------+----------+----------+--------+
\-------------- Remove as a set ---------------/ \----- Our second Windows ---/ \----------- Mix as you wish ------------/

Because you made EFS the first partition, no matter how many times
some software renumbers and paves the 64KB GPT partition tables,
EFS continues to work. Make EFS #1 all the time. Things will
work slightly better. Make sure EFS is the right size, before
stacking any more cakes.

I showed a recipe the other day, which allows a Windows user to control
the size of *all* of the four partitions on the left. For best results.
You don't have to accept the random numbers their installer uses. EFS
should be 500MB (for Linux usage), and System Reserved these days, 1GB
may be a safe size. The last WinRE.wim was 670MB or so.

Also, don't stick data partitions before Windows C:

It's generally not a good idea to put vanity partitions too far
to the left, in case you later need to delete them.

Vanity materials and well-designed materials, go to the right.

Linux gdisk has the ability to put more than one EFS on the disk.
Don't do that. I already tested. While my back was turned, some
OS *deleted* the second EFS on me :-)

Paul

Re: EFI/UEFI position on disk or other media

<wz-dnT4z4Jrhxlv4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3226&group=alt.os.linux#3226

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 07:06:12 -0500
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:06 UTC

On 2/8/24 14:02, Paul wrote:
> On 2/7/2024 5:05 PM, bad sector wrote:

>>> Please describe more precisely what you mean.
>>> The EFI system partition can be anywhere.
>>
>> I want to slice my laptop ssd so that grub will not list any partition 10 or 11 before 2. If I can put EFI anywhere then I can use 1-9 for OS'es and place all the others above. Otherwise (and I just did this but can easily back out) I start OS partitions with 11 with the also-rans 1-10 (like EFI, swap, some datas).
>>
> The essence of being a multibooter, is recognizing when
> boot methods are using partition numbers and not BLKIDs.
>
> A lot of Linux is BLKIDs, but not all of it!
>
> Despite our thinking that it is the year 2024, it really isn't.
> It's still 1980 for some things.
>
> This is why, we do things in a defensive manner.
> We install Windows first, so it won't upset GRUB.
> Our second Windows can be parachuted in, it does not have to be installed.
> A number of things can be parachuted (cloned over from another disk).
> Things to the left, are progressively more brittle.
>
> GPT Partitioned
>
> 1 2 3 4
> +-----+------+---------------+--------------+-----------------+--------------+-----------------+----------+----------+----------+--------+
> | MBR | EFS | MSR 16MB NoFS | Windows C: | System Reserved | Windows D: | System Reserved | Ubuntu | Mint | Slack | Swap |
> +-----+------+---------------+--------------+-----------------+--------------+-----------------+----------+----------+----------+--------+
> \-------------- Remove as a set ---------------/ \----- Our second Windows ---/ \----------- Mix as you wish ------------/
>
> Because you made EFS the first partition, no matter how many times
> some software renumbers and paves the 64KB GPT partition tables,
> EFS continues to work. Make EFS #1 all the time. Things will
> work slightly better. Make sure EFS is the right size, before
> stacking any more cakes.

A lot has transpired since my last, the short of the long being that I
got totally fed up with microcancer's hanky-panky and have finally just
dumped it off the laptop with which it had come. I did make a backup of
the entire 1tb disk in case I should ever sell it but by the time I get
there it'll probably be toast anyway, which is exactly the fate that had
cought up with my previous laptop, an asus gaming thing. Thanks to your
help I also managed to create a bootable usb w10 installer so I got that
angle covered as well.

For the first time I have also managed to get w10 working as well with
my usb gx-100 as w7 did with the old me-80 in vBox. So coming out of
this landmark turn I sliced my t480 up but using 80gb OS partitions
which I am populating these days (when time permits). W-10 will be there
in vBox in at least half of them if not all (the ONLY thing I need it
for remaning the handling of the guitar effects board).

> I showed a recipe the other day, which allows a Windows user to control
> the size of *all* of the four partitions on the left. For best results.
> You don't have to accept the random numbers their installer uses. EFS
> should be 500MB (for Linux usage), and System Reserved these days, 1GB
> may be a safe size. The last WinRE.wim was 670MB or so.

It's horror show, I gave it 1gb, reluctantly committing to it because
the taiwan hardware maffia apparently has.

> Also, don't stick data partitions before Windows C:
>
> It's generally not a good idea to put vanity partitions too far
> to the left, in case you later need to delete them.
>
> Vanity materials and well-designed materials, go to the right.
>
> Linux gdisk has the ability to put more than one EFS on the disk.
> Don't do that. I already tested. While my back was turned, some
> OS *deleted* the second EFS on me :-)
>
> Paul

I used to put data next to the end while always leaving some unused but
now with my new numbering scheme to assure sorted grub menus it's #10,
and instead of 7 with only 6 distros, it looks like this:

# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 953.87 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 1F5BF8E3-EF76-4A16-BF3E-78B891EAB2B3

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 2099199 2097152 1G EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2 2099200 14682111 12582912 6G Linux swap
/dev/nvme0n1p3 14682112 14684159 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p4 14684160 14686207 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p5 14686208 14688255 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p6 14688256 14690303 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p7 14690304 14692351 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p8 14692352 14694399 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p9 14694400 14696447 2048 1M Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p10 14696448 979386367 964689920 460G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p11 979386368 1147158527 167772160 80G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p12 1147158528 1314930687 167772160 80G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p13 1314930688 1482702847 167772160 80G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p14 1482702848 1650475007 167772160 80G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p15 1650475008 1818247167 167772160 80G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p16 1818247168 1986019327 167772160 80G Linux root (x86)
/dev/nvme0n1p17 1986019328 2000408575 14389248 6.9G Linux filesystem