From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Java 5 issue on VMS Alpha
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:20:26 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 02:20 UTC

This version of Java is way out of support both generally
by SUN/Oracle and for VMS by HP(E).

But I still has it running.

Playing with some web services in Tomcat I tend to end up
with the following error:

global_alloc: out of global space, file
JDEV:[fastvm.srcjava.runtime]globals.c;1, line 50

and Tomcat shutdown.

I have tried increasing -Xmx and -XX:MaxPermSize,
but it did not help.

I have tried increasing PGFLQUOTA, but it did not help.

Any suggestions?

Arne

Re: Java 5 issue on VMS Alpha

<uob95i$2jnoi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33178&group=comp.os.vms#33178

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Java 5 issue on VMS Alpha
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:30:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:30 UTC

On 2024-01-17, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

If you turn on image accounting, do you get any extra clues ?

Failing that, running your failing command from a newly logged in process
and then _immediately_ logging out will result in the process accounting
record showing some peak values used. You may be able to get some
clues from there, or at least eliminate some possible causes.

Simon.

Re: Java 5 issue on VMS Alpha

<uobbna$2k993$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33181&group=comp.os.vms#33181

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:14:01 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:14 UTC

On 1/18/2024 8:30 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2024-01-17, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> Any suggestions?
>
> If you turn on image accounting, do you get any extra clues ?
>
> Failing that, running your failing command from a newly logged in process
> and then _immediately_ logging out will result in the process accounting
> record showing some peak values used. You may be able to get some
> clues from there, or at least eliminate some possible causes.

It is running in a separate process, so I did have logout accounting
info.

I had also checked and double checked the "Peak virtual size"
to PGFLQUOTA - even tried increasing PGFLQUOTA anyway just in
case a gigantic allocation failed.

But after your post explicit talking about logging in and
logging out then I looked again and I noticed something -
the process is not running under the account starting the
process (SYSTEM) but under the same account as
Apache httpd (APACHE$WWW).

Slapping myself hard.

After increasing PGFLQUOTA on that account then everything worked fine.

A debug printf with a reference to file and line number
in the C source is obviously not up to neither VMS nor Java
error reporting standard, but given that SUN/Oracle stopped
support in 2009 and HPE in 2020 then I will have to live
with that.

So thanks.

Arne