CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

SubjectAuthor
* can vBox be a shared resource?bad sector
+* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Grant Taylor
|`* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?bad sector
| +- Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Paul
| `- Re: vBox can be a shared nightmarebad sector
+* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?J.O. Aho
|+* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Grant Taylor
||`* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?J.O. Aho
|| `- Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Grant Taylor
|`- Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Paul
`* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Jasen Betts
 `* Re: can vBox be a shared resource?bad sector
  `- Re: can vBox be a shared resource?Paul

1
can vBox be a shared resource?

<IV2dnYxpT9duQCP4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3179&group=alt.os.linux#3179

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:44:34 -0500
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: can vBox be a shared resource?
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:44 UTC

I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
drive under .../vBoxes/w10p. To have the same access to this virtual
windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
version in those distros is different?

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<upmrse$b2v$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3180&group=alt.os.linux#3180

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: can vBox be a shared resource?
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:13:34 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:13 UTC

On 2/3/24 18:44, bad sector wrote:
> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
> drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this virtual
> windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
> VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
> version in those distros is different?

I don't know. But if you don't have anything to loose (or have a backup
of the vBox files), I'd definitely give it a try.

I'd create things in the oldest vBox version and open them in the newer
versions. This is to make sure that you don't accidentally create
something using a feature in a newer version that an older version can't
use.

That being said, I doubt there are many things that would qualify like this.

I think it should work.

Try it and find out.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<Rhycna9kPbGfnCL4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3181&group=alt.os.linux#3181

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 22:14:09 -0500
From: forgetit@invalid.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:14 UTC

On 2/3/24 21:13, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 2/3/24 18:44, bad sector wrote:
>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a
>> data drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this
>> virtual windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just
>> point VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the
>> vBox version in those distros is different?
>
> I don't know.  But if you don't have anything to loose (or have a backup
> of the vBox files), I'd definitely give it a try.
>
> I'd create things in the oldest vBox version and open them in the newer
> versions.  This is to make sure that you don't accidentally create
> something using a feature in a newer version that an older version can't
> use.
>
> That being said, I doubt there are many things that would qualify like
> this.
>
> I think it should work.
>
> Try it and find out.

I had it installed and running a w10 under Suse Tumbleweed, convinced
that once installed the w10.iso file was no longer be needed. So I also
installed vBox under AvLinux, pointed it to the same folder and the only
thing needed was to place the w10.iso file back where I had removed it
from. It now works. Tried slpkg to install it to Slackware with similar
intentions but got

"No such package virtualbox-kernel-6.1.44: Can't build"

--
Life's just like toilet paper, the closer to the end the faster it unrolls.

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<upn5q1$3hcdd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3182&group=alt.os.linux#3182

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:02:55 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:02 UTC

On 2/3/2024 10:14 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/3/24 21:13, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> On 2/3/24 18:44, bad sector wrote:
>>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this virtual windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox version in those distros is different?
>>
>> I don't know.  But if you don't have anything to loose (or have a backup of the vBox files), I'd definitely give it a try.
>>
>> I'd create things in the oldest vBox version and open them in the newer versions.  This is to make sure that you don't accidentally create something using a feature in a newer version that an older version can't use.
>>
>> That being said, I doubt there are many things that would qualify like this.
>>
>> I think it should work.
>>
>> Try it and find out.
>
> I had it installed and running a w10 under Suse Tumbleweed, convinced that once installed the w10.iso file was no longer be needed. So I also installed vBox under AvLinux, pointed it to the same folder and the only thing needed was to place the w10.iso file back where I had removed it from. It now works. Tried slpkg to install it to Slackware with similar intentions but got
>
> "No such package virtualbox-kernel-6.1.44: Can't build"

Dependency at bottom of page.

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/system/virtualbox/

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/system/virtualbox-kernel/

There are materials for download, near the bottom of the page.

Paul

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<l29r9sFt5sbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3185&group=alt.os.linux#3185

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:11:40 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:11 UTC

On 04/02/2024 01:44, bad sector wrote:

> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
> drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this virtual
> windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
> VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
> version in those distros is different?

I wouldn't do this, virtualbox can be iffy with a bad matching virtual
guest addition.

--
//Aho

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<upossf$dit$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3187&group=alt.os.linux#3187

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:42:55 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:42 UTC

On 2/4/24 10:11, J.O. Aho wrote:
> I wouldn't do this, virtualbox can be iffy with a bad matching virtual
> guest addition.

There is some concern about this.

But I think that you're fairly safe if you install and use the add-ons
from the oldest of the hosting virtual box instances.

Every VirtualBox, et al., that I've ever used would happily use guest
additions from an older version of VirtualBox. It might encourage you
to upgrade them, but that's a different annoyance.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<l2acrbF1m6pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=alt.os.linux#3188

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:11:07 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:11 UTC

On 04/02/2024 21.42, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 2/4/24 10:11, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> I wouldn't do this, virtualbox can be iffy with a bad matching virtual
>> guest addition.
>
> There is some concern about this.
>
> But I think that you're fairly safe if you install and use the add-ons
> from the oldest of the hosting virtual box instances.

There can be things that breaks in this case too, copy'n'paste between
host/client has many times stopped working when having older guest
add-on and also the shared folders can stop working on those with newer
virtualbox version.

> Every VirtualBox, et al., that I've ever used would happily use guest
> additions from an older version of VirtualBox.  It might encourage you
> to upgrade them, but that's a different annoyance.

I tend to use virtualbox only for testing stuff, kvm för instances I
want more seriously run as I can then give dedicated graphics cards.

--
//Aho

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<upovnt$3rfom$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3189&group=alt.os.linux#3189

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:31:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:31 UTC

On 2/4/2024 11:11 AM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 04/02/2024 01:44, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this virtual windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox version in those distros is different?
>
> I wouldn't do this, virtualbox can be iffy with a bad matching virtual guest addition.

Don't mix major versions.

Don't run a V6-prepared VM with 6.1.44 additions, in a V5 VirtualBox.
The graphics model is different. V5 has one choice. V6 has three choices.

A VBox with 6.1.38 Additions may receive a warning when run on a 6.1.44 Virtualbox.

Working with Appliances (.OVA) is also littered with hazards
too numerous to mention. Just because you Exported a VM to an OVA,
does not mean a damn thing :-)

This is like herding turtles. All the turtles will try to install the
version of VirtualBox they want to install, you'll be wanting to do
something else. Like, say you had six boot OSes, all with various
package managers. Would you be able to lock all the versions
and avoid trouble ? You'd need to be a very patient Wizard to do that.

And in your container, *never* put unnecessary materials. In one other
group a few days ago, someone is telling me they've done a P2V
on a 2TB drive. Don't do that! The maintenance downsides are infinite.
A dynamic container between 10GB and 20GB, is where you want to be.
Absolutely, there are cases where more support materials end up in
the container, but then the work done in the container was never
that practical in the first place. A VM is not suited to every use case.

Paul

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<upp4nq$h6d$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3190&group=alt.os.linux#3190

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:56:58 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:56 UTC

On 2/4/24 15:11, J.O. Aho wrote:
> There can be things that breaks in this case too, copy'n'paste between
> host/client has many times stopped working when having older guest
> add-on and also the shared folders can stop working on those with newer
> virtualbox version.

There's always a possibility of something breaking.

Aside: I've never found copy and paste between host and guest to be
reliable even with a single host OS.

> I tend to use virtualbox only for testing stuff, kvm för instances I
> want more seriously run as I can then give dedicated graphics cards.

I too have viewed VirtualBox as a wonderful labing / experimenting
resource and used other options for production.

That being said, I did run VirtualBox and PHP VirtualBox web interface
for a while. I ended up switching to VMware because I thought it's
VMware Remote Console to be better for my use case (at the time). -- I
think it was a combination of a slightly better user experience and much
easier administration wherein I didn't need to bother with VNC server
port reservation for highly dynamic guest inventory. -- I question if
I might change that decision the next time I need to tangle with licenses.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: vBox can be a shared nightmare

<izednYnWc_vErV34nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3191&group=alt.os.linux#3191

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:48:25 -0500
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: Re: vBox can be a shared nightmare
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 00:48 UTC

On 2/3/24 22:14, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/3/24 21:13, Grant Taylor wrote:
>> On 2/3/24 18:44, bad sector wrote:
>>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a
>>> data drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this
>>> virtual windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just
>>> point VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if
>>> the vBox version in those distros is different?
>>
>> I don't know.  But if you don't have anything to loose (or have a
>> backup of the vBox files), I'd definitely give it a try.
>>
>> I'd create things in the oldest vBox version and open them in the
>> newer versions.  This is to make sure that you don't accidentally
>> create something using a feature in a newer version that an older
>> version can't use.
>>
>> That being said, I doubt there are many things that would qualify like
>> this.
>>
>> I think it should work.
>>
>> Try it and find out.
>
> I had it installed and running a w10 under Suse Tumbleweed, convinced
> that once installed the w10.iso file was no longer be needed. So I also
> installed vBox under AvLinux, pointed it to the same folder and the only
> thing needed was to place the w10.iso file back where I had removed it
> from. It now works. Tried slpkg to install it to Slackware with similar
> intentions but got
>
> "No such package virtualbox-kernel-6.1.44: Can't build"

Just as well, with all the warnings received I think I'll just forget
this one. The vBox package itself is an almost unique version in every
installed distro, I can just as easily set up a dedicated w10 in each.

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<urhmap$3dcmp$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3353&group=alt.os.linux#3353

From: usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:40:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:40 UTC

On 2024-02-04, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
> drive under .../vBoxes/w10p. To have the same access to this virtual
> windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
> VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
> version in those distros is different?

there's a change that different versions of virtualbox mat present a
different hardware signature, how windows licencing responds to multiple
"hardware changes" is anyones guess.

--
Jasen.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<ZZ6cnXyHIobw9UH4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3356&group=alt.os.linux#3356

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 05:31:09 -0500
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:31 UTC

On 2/26/24 04:40, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2024-02-04, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>>
>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
>> drive under .../vBoxes/w10p. To have the same access to this virtual
>> windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
>> VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
>> version in those distros is different?
>
> there's a change that different versions of virtualbox mat present a
> different hardware signature, how windows licencing responds to multiple
> "hardware changes" is anyones guess.

Thanks, that was 3 weeks ago, since then the solutions:problems ratio
has evolved form an ideal 10:1 to a practical 1:10, or rather 0:10
because the sole objective in my using windows even under vBox is still
illusive :-(

Re: can vBox be a shared resource?

<urhr39$2gc7s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3358&group=alt.os.linux#3358

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 06:02:00 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:02 UTC

On 2/26/2024 5:31 AM, bad sector wrote:
> On 2/26/24 04:40, Jasen Betts wrote:
>> On 2024-02-04, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just installed w10 in a Tumbleweed vBox, all the files going to a data
>>> drive under .../vBoxes/w10p.  To have the same access to this virtual
>>> windows from Slowroll or from Devuan for example, do I just point
>>> VirtualBox to that same directory? Will this cause issues if the vBox
>>> version in those distros is different?
>>
>> there's a change that different versions of virtualbox mat present a
>> different hardware signature, how windows licencing responds to multiple
>> "hardware changes" is anyones guess.
>

> Thanks, that was 3 weeks ago, since then the solutions:problems ratio has evolved form an ideal 10:1 to a practical 1:10, or rather 0:10 because the sole objective in my using windows even under vBox is still illusive :-(

When a guy is down on his luck...

https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB

Paul