FORTRAN rots the brain. -- John McQuillin

computers / comp.os.vms / Memory Safe Programming Languages

SubjectAuthor
* Memory Safe Programming LanguagesStephen Hoffman
+- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
`* Re: Memory Safe Programming Languagesbill
 +- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
 +* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesSimon Clubley
 |`* Re: Memory Safe Programming Languagesbill
 | +* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
 | |+- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
 | |`* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesScott Dorsey
 | | `- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesSimon Clubley
 | +* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesArne Vajhøj
 | |`* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
 | | `* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesArne Vajhøj
 | |  `- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesLawrence D'Oliveiro
 | `* Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesSimon Clubley
 |  `* Re: Memory Safe Programming Languagesbill
 |   +- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesArne Vajhøj
 |   `- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesDan Cross
 `- Re: Memory Safe Programming LanguagesScott Dorsey

1
Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usavtr$m80c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33672&group=comp.os.vms#33672

From: seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Memory Safe Programming Languages
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:57:47 -0500
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:57 UTC

Recent US Goverment recommendations on programming:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Final-ONCD-Technical-Report.pdf

From a related document from US NSA: "Examples of memory safe language
include Python, Java, C#, Go, Delphi/Object Pascal, Swift, Ruby, Rust,
and Ada."

https://media.defense.gov/2023/Apr/27/2003210083/-1/-1/0/CSI_SOFTWARE_MEMORY_SAFETY_V1.1.PDF

OpenVMS has three of those languages available, so there's that.
(Python, Java, and the available Pascal probably also counts.)

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usb1u3$mj3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33673&group=comp.os.vms#33673

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:32 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:57:47 -0500, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> Recent US Goverment recommendations on programming:
>
> https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Final-ONCD-Technical-Report.pdf

Big discussion about this over on comp.lang.c. It’s clear some see this
kind of recommendation as a threat.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<l4sik4F7ocmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33674&group=comp.os.vms#33674

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:12:35 -0500
 by: bill - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:12 UTC

On 3/6/2024 6:57 PM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:

> Recent US Goverment recommendations on programming:
>
> https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Final-ONCD-Technical-Report.pdf
>
> From a related document from US NSA: "Examples of memory safe language
> include Python, Java, C#, Go, Delphi/Object Pascal, Swift, Ruby, Rust,
> and Ada."
>
> https://media.defense.gov/2023/Apr/27/2003210083/-1/-1/0/CSI_SOFTWARE_MEMORY_SAFETY_V1.1.PDF
>
> OpenVMS has three of those languages available, so there's that.
> (Python, Java, and the available Pascal probably also counts.)

And 40 years ago we had safe C. We all know how well that
survived. If people weren't willing to choose memory safety
back then, why would they be expected to now?

Hmmm... I don't see Jovial on that list. Are they going to
try and force the Air Force to use Ada again?

bill

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usb62i$n7qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33675&group=comp.os.vms#33675

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:42:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:42 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:12:35 -0500, bill wrote:

> And 40 years ago we had safe C. We all know how well that
> survived.

MISRA still is in production use today.

> Are they going to try and force the Air Force to use Ada again?

Did it ever stop?

The life-support system on the International Space Station was written
in Ada. And then there is SPARK
<https://devclass.com/2022/11/08/spark-as-good-as-rust-for-safer-coding-adacore-cites-nvidia-case-study/>,
which is producing a subset of Ada with even stronger correctness
properties. I gather their aim is ultimately to include the whole of
Ada in that set.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usd1pj$16n8t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33676&group=comp.os.vms#33676

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:41:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:41 UTC

On 2024-03-06, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

> And 40 years ago we had safe C. We all know how well that
> survived. If people weren't willing to choose memory safety
> back then, why would they be expected to now?

There's no such thing as a "safe" language.

What there is are "safer" languages in which it is a lot harder to
make accidental mistakes, and harder for accidental mistakes you do
make to remain undetected, especially if you use the full capabilities
of the language.

For one really simple example, don't just try to write C code using
Ada syntax, and place everything in plain Integers, but use the full
data type modelling capabilities of the language.

Also, use ranged data types to constrain the allowed values (which was
something that Rust couldn't properly do the last time I checked;
attempts to implement this in Rust were part of some addon library,
not part of the core language).

The recommendation is to switch to using these "safer" languages, not
some mythical "safe" language.

Simon.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<l4unkmF7ocvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33677&group=comp.os.vms#33677

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:50:29 -0500
 by: bill - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:50 UTC

On 3/7/2024 1:41 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2024-03-06, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And 40 years ago we had safe C. We all know how well that
>> survived. If people weren't willing to choose memory safety
>> back then, why would they be expected to now?
>>

> There's no such thing as a "safe" language.
>
> What there is are "safer" languages in which it is a lot harder to
> make accidental mistakes, and harder for accidental mistakes you do
> make to remain undetected, especially if you use the full capabilities
> of the language.
>
> For one really simple example, don't just try to write C code using
> Ada syntax, and place everything in plain Integers, but use the full
> data type modelling capabilities of the language.
>
> Also, use ranged data types to constrain the allowed values (which was
> something that Rust couldn't properly do the last time I checked;
> attempts to implement this in Rust were part of some addon library,
> not part of the core language).
>
> The recommendation is to switch to using these "safer" languages, not
> some mythical "safe" language.

But my argument is that C had the chance to be one of those
"safer" languages. Users rejected it. Have to wonder why.

And, on another note regarding C and Ada. The original GNAT
compiler converted Ada into C and compiled it with GCC. Now,
it seems to me that points at two possible concepts. One is
that if Ada can be done in C then it has all the same flaws
and warts. Not sure I would like to go in that direction.
The other is much more interesting. And that is the concept
that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada. The question
then becomes why isn't it? See my first paragraph. :-)

bill

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdaaa$18du3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33678&group=comp.os.vms#33678

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:07:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:07 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:50:29 -0500, bill wrote:

> And that is the concept that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada.

Not without help, though: namely, the constraints imposed by an Ada
compiler.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdc2e$18t67$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33679&group=comp.os.vms#33679

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:37:18 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:37 UTC

On 3/7/2024 3:50 PM, bill wrote:
> On 3/7/2024 1:41 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2024-03-06, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And 40 years ago we had safe C.  We all know how well that
>>> survived.  If people weren't willing to choose memory safety
>>> back then, why would they be expected to now?
>>
>> There's no such thing as a "safe" language.

>> The recommendation is to switch to using these "safer" languages, not
>> some mythical "safe" language.
>
> But my argument is that C had the chance to be one of those
> "safer" languages.  Users rejected it.  Have to wonder why.

Being memory safe does not work for some C usage (direct HW access).

And we don't know much about the implementation quality of that
80's C compiler you keep referring to. Even a good idea can be
fucked up by a bad implementation.

Or maybe the time was not ready for it then but is now. The
p-code idea was a not a big success back then, but today
the same concept is more widely used than compiling to
native code.

> And, on another note regarding C and Ada.  The original GNAT
> compiler converted Ada into C and compiled it with GCC.

Like GnuCOBOL today?

I thought Gnat always worked like other GCC compilers.

>   Now,
> it seems to me that points at two possible concepts.  One is
> that if Ada can be done in C then it has all the same flaws
> and warts.  Not sure I would like to go  in that direction.
> The other is much more interesting.  And that is the concept
> that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada.  The question
> then becomes why isn't it?  See my first paragraph.   :-)

I don't think that logic is true.

The language level of safety very much depend on the
definition of the language.

If language X is transpiled into language Y (instead
of compiled to native object code), then it is very
much possible for X compiler to prevent something that
Y compiler allows. X can be memory safe even though Y is
not.

Arne

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdil4$1a50p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33681&group=comp.os.vms#33681

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:29:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:37:18 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> If language X is transpiled into language Y (instead of compiled to
> native object code), then it is very much possible for X compiler to
> prevent something that Y compiler allows. X can be memory safe even
> though Y is not.

The same applies very much to machine code, of course. That’s why we don’t
need a separate term “transpile” to distinguish the process from what
“compile” does.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdjnm$1ablt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33682&group=comp.os.vms#33682

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:48:07 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:48 UTC

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 16:37:18 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> If language X is transpiled into language Y (instead of compiled to
>> native object code), then it is very much possible for X compiler to
>> prevent something that Y compiler allows. X can be memory safe even
>> though Y is not.
>
> The same applies very much to machine code, of course. That’s why we don’t
> need a separate term “transpile” to distinguish the process from what
> “compile” does.

The convention (today) is:

compile = transform to lower level language
transpile = transform to same level language

It is what it is.

Arne

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdn9f$cqf$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33683&group=comp.os.vms#33683

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 8 Mar 2024 00:48:47 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 00:48 UTC

bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hmmm... I don't see Jovial on that list. Are they going to
>try and force the Air Force to use Ada again?

All the stuff we used to do in Jovial and in Hal/S, we do in C now.
It's definitely a step down. Ada is a better choice for realtime
stuff but it doesn't compile down very compactly. I like the coroutines.
--scott

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usdnet$1b1km$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33684&group=comp.os.vms#33684

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 00:51:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 00:51 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:48:07 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> The convention (today) is:
>
> compile = transform to lower level language
> transpile = transform to same level language

But C is at a lower level than Ada.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usf30j$1n3ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33687&group=comp.os.vms#33687

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:14:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:14 UTC

On 2024-03-07, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

> But my argument is that C had the chance to be one of those
> "safer" languages. Users rejected it. Have to wonder why.

Did it fix only one special case - buffer overflows - or was it
a safer language in general ? For example, how strong was type
checking in this safer C ?

> And, on another note regarding C and Ada. The original GNAT
> compiler converted Ada into C and compiled it with GCC. Now,
> it seems to me that points at two possible concepts. One is
> that if Ada can be done in C then it has all the same flaws
> and warts. Not sure I would like to go in that direction.
> The other is much more interesting. And that is the concept
> that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada. The question
> then becomes why isn't it? See my first paragraph. :-)

Well, that's a load of nonsense and shows a total lack of understanding
of how compilers work. All compiled languages are ultimately compiled
into assembly language opcodes. That doesn't mean they are only as safe
as the assembly language they are compiled into.

OTOH, it could sound like the reasoning of someone trying to desperately
claim that C is somehow as safe as Ada. :-)

Also, how long did this GNAT compiler that translated into C
actually exist for ? Was it something that once existed for a couple
of years about 30-35 years ago and was never used again.

I first started really using Ada compilers around the gcc 2.8 timeframe
(IIRC) and have never encountered this Ada to C translator you speak of.

Simon.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usf5lb$5ad$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33688&group=comp.os.vms#33688

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 8 Mar 2024 14:00:11 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:00 UTC

John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:

>We don't have memory-safe instruction sets. The idea isn't impossible,
>but it would be a lot more complex and/or restrictive than any of the
>currently popular instruction sets.

iAPX 432.

I see a great need.
--scott

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<l50m6uF7ocvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33689&group=comp.os.vms#33689

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:38:21 -0500
 by: bill - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:38 UTC

On 3/8/2024 8:14 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2024-03-07, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But my argument is that C had the chance to be one of those
>> "safer" languages. Users rejected it. Have to wonder why.
>>

> Did it fix only one special case - buffer overflows - or was it
> a safer language in general ? For example, how strong was type
> checking in this safer C ?

Misuse of functions
mismatched parameters
array indexing/out of bounds
stray pointers
Arithmetic errors/division by 0/overflow
misuse of standard I/O
misuse of string functions

Don't know what else it might have done as all I have are
the descriptions in the Software Sourcebooks.

As an interesting side note, this was not only available for
all the PDP-11 OSes it was also available for Ultrix-32 and
VMS.

>> And, on another note regarding C and Ada. The original GNAT
>> compiler converted Ada into C and compiled it with GCC. Now,
>> it seems to me that points at two possible concepts. One is
>> that if Ada can be done in C then it has all the same flaws
>> and warts. Not sure I would like to go in that direction.
>> The other is much more interesting. And that is the concept
>> that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada. The question
>> then becomes why isn't it? See my first paragraph. :-)
>>

> Well, that's a load of nonsense and shows a total lack of understanding
> of how compilers work. All compiled languages are ultimately compiled
> into assembly language opcodes. That doesn't mean they are only as safe
> as the assembly language they are compiled into.

Well, I did discount explanation 1. :-)

But, explanation 2 still stands. If the "safe" code written in
Ada can be converted to C then, obviously, the same "safe" code
could be written directly using C. The question really is why do
programmers choose not to.

> OTOH, it could sound like the reasoning of someone trying to desperately
> claim that C is somehow as safe as Ada. :-)

It is. It is not any shortcoming in the language that makes C
"unsafe". It is the practices of the programmers.

> Also, how long did this GNAT compiler that translated into C
> actually exist for ? Was it something that once existed for a couple
> of years about 30-35 years ago and was never used again.

Really don't remember. That was more than a lifetime ago in
computer years. :-)

> I first started really using Ada compilers around the gcc 2.8 timeframe
> (IIRC) and have never encountered this Ada to C translator you speak of.

A lot of the early Gnu compilers started as translations to C
and compilation with GCC. P2C, F2C As has been stated many times,
C is really just a slightly higher level than assembler.
You know, one can easily write buffer overflows, out of bounds arrays,
type mismatches, etc. with assembler but no one blames the assembler
for it.

bill

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usfa2b$1orpe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33690&group=comp.os.vms#33690

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:15:24 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:15 UTC

On 3/8/2024 9:38 AM, bill wrote:
> On 3/8/2024 8:14 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2024-03-07, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And, on another note regarding C and Ada.  The original GNAT
>>> compiler converted Ada into C and compiled it with GCC.  Now,
>>> it seems to me that points at two possible concepts.  One is
>>> that if Ada can be done in C then it has all the same flaws
>>> and warts.  Not sure I would like to go  in that direction.
>>> The other is much more interesting.  And that is the concept
>>> that C can, obviously, be just as safe as Ada.  The question
>>> then becomes why isn't it?  See my first paragraph.   :-)
>>>

>> Well, that's a load of nonsense and shows a total lack of understanding
>> of how compilers work. All compiled languages are ultimately compiled
>> into assembly language opcodes. That doesn't mean they are only as safe
>> as the assembly language they are compiled into.
>
> Well, I did discount explanation 1.  :-)
>
> But, explanation 2 still stands.  If the "safe" code written in
> Ada can be converted to C then, obviously, the same "safe" code
> could be written directly using C.  The question really is why do
> programmers choose  not to.

Programmers are human. They try their best but they make mistakes.

If a large number of programmers write a huge application, then
there will be big number of mistakes made. Inevitable.

And this is where the language comes in:

mistakes causing compile time error => mistakes get fixed during development

mistakes causing runtime error => mistakes get fixed during development
if found in test *or* result in unavailability of functionality in
production if not found in test

mistakes causing undefined behavior => mistakes get fixed during
development if found in test *or* result in unavailability of
functionality or data corruption or data leak or combination in
production if not found in test

>> OTOH, it could sound like the reasoning of someone trying to desperately
>> claim that C is somehow as safe as Ada. :-)
>
> It is.  It is not any shortcoming in the language that makes C
> "unsafe".  It is the practices of the programmers.

The definition of a safe language is not a language that allows
safe code - the definition of a safe language is a language that
enforces safe code.

Arne

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usfb9h$bq8$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33691&group=comp.os.vms#33691

From: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:36:17 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
 by: Dan Cross - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:36 UTC

In article <l50m6uF7ocvU3@mid.individual.net>,
bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>[snip]
>But, explanation 2 still stands. If the "safe" code written in
>Ada can be converted to C then, obviously, the same "safe" code
>could be written directly using C. The question really is why do
>programmers choose not to.

Not really. The generated "safe" code need not be as safe as
the original source Ada. For example, if this Ada compiler that
generates C does array bounds checking, and can statically
verify that an array access is within bounds, it need not
insert that check in the generated C code. Similarly with all
sorts of things; verifying alignment, weird type casts, etc.
The Ada compiler can generate spaghetti C that is unreadable to
a human and it doesn't matter, because it's just an intermediate
representation.

>> OTOH, it could sound like the reasoning of someone trying to desperately
>> claim that C is somehow as safe as Ada. :-)
>
>It is. It is not any shortcoming in the language that makes C
>"unsafe". It is the practices of the programmers.

This is reductio ad absurdum. There's a lot in the language not
to be liked. Quick, is the following always well-defined?

uint16_t
mul(uint16_t a, uint16_t b)
{ return a * b;
}

It's super easy to trivially fall over UB in C.

>> Also, how long did this GNAT compiler that translated into C
>> actually exist for ? Was it something that once existed for a couple
>> of years about 30-35 years ago and was never used again.
>
>Really don't remember. That was more than a lifetime ago in
>computer years. :-)
>

>> I first started really using Ada compilers around the gcc 2.8 timeframe
>> (IIRC) and have never encountered this Ada to C translator you speak of.
>
>A lot of the early Gnu compilers started as translations to C
>and compilation with GCC. P2C, F2C As has been stated many times,
>C is really just a slightly higher level than assembler.
>You know, one can easily write buffer overflows, out of bounds arrays,
>type mismatches, etc. with assembler but no one blames the assembler
>for it.

Sure they do. There's a reason that, these days, assembler is
mostly a _target_ and not a source language. There are
exceptions of course, but these usually fall into the domain of
either legacy code (z/Arch assembler, MACRO-32) or specialized
use (e.g., the supervisor instruction set in an OS). Most
programs these days are written in higher level languages
because we know that a) programming in assembler is often
tedious and b) it is error-prone.

- Dan C.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usftc1$1t89i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33693&group=comp.os.vms#33693

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:44:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:44 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), John Dallman wrote:

> We don't have memory-safe instruction sets.

The CHERI project is reviving the old “capability” idea, which might help.
Arm’s “Morello” research chip is part of that
<https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/26/cheri_computer_runs_kde/>.

> The same applies to compiling a memory-safer language (ADA) into a
> memory-unsafe language (C). The resulting C is memory-safer, but this
> isn't obvious from the code and isn't provable.

If the original language is provably safe, that should carry over into the
code it generates.

Re: Memory Safe Programming Languages

<usn0eq$3kev1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=33699&group=comp.os.vms#33699

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:20:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:20 UTC

On 2024-03-08, John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <usf5lb$5ad$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
> Dorsey) wrote:
>> John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
>> > We don't have memory-safe instruction sets. The idea isn't
>> > impossible, but it would be a lot more complex and/or restrictive
>> > than any of the currently popular instruction sets.
>>
>> iAPX 432.
>
> What the hell. I've collected various PDFs and will read up on it.

Also note what primary language it used. :-) It was a good idea, but the
technology of the time simply was not yet up to it. Reminds me of the
1993 Newton compared to the PDAs we had as standard a decade or so later.

Simon.