Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion. -- Mike Coleman

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

SubjectAuthor
* Is this the end of SLJ?Spiros Bousbouras
+* Is this the end of SLJ?The Doctor
`- Is this the end of SLJ?llp

Pages:12
Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<KFko=svzezKy2O9s3@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3411&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3411

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: Is this the end of SLJ?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:20:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:20 UTC

[ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
J Stressman <jstressman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 5:46:33 PM UTC-4, Jim Breen wrote:
> > Any ideas on how to stop the flood of Thai spam?
>
> Who has the moderation ability in this group to actually delete spam? If
> one of us normally reports it, it will hide it from the person who reports
> it, but not anyone else in the room. Google might look into it further, but
> there's no guarantee anything else will happen.
>
> Someone with moderation ability should be able to actually delete these
> messages from the group, but without Google taking action to actually block
> these accounts, it would seem to require constant moderation to clear out
> the spam.

First things first : usenet is *** not *** googlegroups. googlegroups simply
provides a web interface to usenet.

sci.lang.japan is unmoderated. Even with a moderated newsgroup , after a
message gets approved by the moderator , it gets transmitted to many servers
around the world. Each server has its own filtering policies and only the
administrator of that particular server can delete messages , for whatever
reason. The original approving moderator no longer can affect the decision.

The right place to discuss usenet spam is news.admin.net-abuse.usenet and
indeed there have been dozens of posts on the issue in the last few weeks. I
note that sci.lang.japan is not the worst hit group.

But many people also raise the issue on some of the affected groups , either
because they don't know of the existence of news.admin.net-abuse.usenet or
because they are reluctant to venture beyond their usual usenet hang-outs.
This is a poor state of affairs because it means that the same discussions
get repeated again and again on many different groups (and it's off-topic for
most of them) and the transmission of useful information happens a lot more
slowly than it could otherwise.

I will summarise here the conclusions for the residents of sci.lang.japan ;
regular readers of news.admin.net-abuse.usenet won't learn anything new.

googlegroups seems to be abandonware and reports of spam using the
googlegroups facility have at most as a result to hide the spam from the user
who did the reporting when they are logged in to their Google account ; but
there don't seem to be in operation any googlegroups filters which get
trained by the reporting so that they prevent any new spam from being
injected. So reporting the spam through googlegroups is mostly a waste of
time. I don't expect this will change.

The only solution for people who use googlegroups to access usenet (or
sci.lang.japan in particular) is to switch to using a newsreader. Advice on
that can be had from news.software.readers .Most newsreaders offer filtering
facilities and using those it should be easy to remove most of the spam. But
even without using those , some servers already filter most of the spam. For
example news.i2pn2.org (but it occasionally goes too far ; for example it
has filtered the opening post of this thread).

Whether sci.lang.japan is going to die depends on various factors. The
group doesn't get many legitimate posts anyway. From the few it gets , my
estimate is that around 40% of the posters use googlegroups. If they are
willing to do the extra effort now and switch to using a newsreader , the
group will continue to do no worse (and possibly no better) than it does
now. If they can't be bothered to switch to using a newsreader , they may
eventually simply get fed up and stop using the group altogether. Even then
, sci.lang.japan won't die but it will be worse off. Naturally , I hope they
will choose the first option.

> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en
>
> I've reported literally thousands of the spam messages in this group lately,
> and I don't think it's accomplished much of anything. I'm open to ideas.

Many people over the years have. They have all said that it's a waste of
time.

--
If you plan on watching this stoned, go ahead, it'll be magnificent.
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw9362053/

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh60mg$2jdo$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3413&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3413

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41 UTC

In article <KFko=svzezKy2O9s3@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>group doesn't get many legitimate posts anyway. From the few it gets , my
>estimate is that around 40% of the posters use googlegroups. If they are
>willing to do the extra effort now and switch to using a newsreader , the
>group will continue to do no worse (and possibly no better) than it does
>now. If they can't be bothered to switch to using a newsreader , they may
>eventually simply get fed up and stop using the group altogether. Even then
>, sci.lang.japan won't die but it will be worse off. Naturally , I hope they
>will choose the first option.
>
>> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en
>>
>> I've reported literally thousands of the spam messages in this group lately,
>> and I don't think it's accomplished much of anything. I'm open to ideas.
>
>Many people over the years have. They have all said that it's a waste of

Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?

>--
>If you plan on watching this stoned, go ahead, it'll be magnificent.
> https://www.imdb.com/review/rw9362053/

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3415&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3415

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:49:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:49 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?

I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
off and you can form your own opinion.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh61hf$2he6$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3416&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3416

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:55:43 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:55 UTC

In article <RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
>doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>
>I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
>sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
>don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
>the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
>off and you can form your own opinion.

I am blocking GG on my server so I might have to use GG :-(
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<ZrVac41EIFPBFXWCH@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3417

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:05:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:05 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:55:43 -0000 (UTC)
doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
> In article <RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>,
> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
> >doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
> >> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
> >
> >I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
> >sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
> >don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
> >the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
> >off and you can form your own opinion.
>
> I am blocking GG on my server so I might have to use GG :-(

So don't use your server , use news.cyber23.de .If you have w3m installed
then a quick way is

w3m -o nntpserver=news.cyber23.de news:sci.lang.japan

..You can switch to different groups from within w3m .If you prefer lynx ,
you can do

lynx news://news.cyber23.de/sci.lang.japan

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh6au0$39b39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3419&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3419

From: richard.nospam@gmail.invalid (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:36:00 +0100
 by: Richard Harnden - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:36 UTC

On 23/10/2023 15:41, The Doctor wrote:

> Is this [sci.lang.japan] like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?

From a quick look: Yes - basically adverts for 'slots' gambling sites.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh6c2n$39o5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3420&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3420

From: richard.nospam@gmail.invalid (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:55:32 +0100
 by: Richard Harnden - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:55 UTC

On 23/10/2023 15:20, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> [ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]
>
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
> J Stressman <jstressman@gmail.com> wrote:.
>
>> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en

That has a "Was this article helpful (y/n)?" at the bottom.

Say "no" and use the feedback form to explain to GG what usenet is.

Maybe it'll get someone at Google's attention. (Probably just get
ignored like everything else)

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh6i1i$32k2f$1@news.usenet.ovh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3421&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3421

From: llp@news.usenet.ovh (llp)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:37:21 +0200
 by: llp - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:37 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
> [ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]

> I will summarise here the conclusions for the residents of sci.lang.japan ;
> regular readers of news.admin.net-abuse.usenet won't learn anything new.
>
> googlegroups seems to be abandonware and reports of spam using the
> googlegroups facility have at most as a result to hide the spam from the user
> who did the reporting when they are logged in to their Google account ; but
> there don't seem to be in operation any googlegroups filters which get
> trained by the reporting so that they prevent any new spam from being
> injected. So reporting the spam through googlegroups is mostly a waste of
> time. I don't expect this will change.
>
> The only solution for people who use googlegroups to access usenet (or
> sci.lang.japan in particular) is to switch to using a newsreader. Advice on
> that can be had from news.software.readers .Most newsreaders offer filtering
> facilities and using those it should be easy to remove most of the spam. But
> even without using those , some servers already filter most of the spam. For
> example news.i2pn2.org (but it occasionally goes too far ; for example it
> has filtered the opening post of this thread).
>
> Whether sci.lang.japan is going to die depends on various factors. The
> group doesn't get many legitimate posts anyway. From the few it gets , my
> estimate is that around 40% of the posters use googlegroups. If they are
> willing to do the extra effort now and switch to using a newsreader , the
> group will continue to do no worse (and possibly no better) than it does
> now. If they can't be bothered to switch to using a newsreader , they may
> eventually simply get fed up and stop using the group altogether. Even then
> , sci.lang.japan won't die but it will be worse off. Naturally , I hope they
> will choose the first option.
>
>> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en
>>
>> I've reported literally thousands of the spam messages in this group lately,
>> and I don't think it's accomplished much of anything. I'm open to ideas.
>
> Many people over the years have. They have all said that it's a waste of
> time.

Use a server with a clean sci.lang.japan.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh6pur$2l09$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3422&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3422

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:52:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:52 UTC

In article <uh6c2n$39o5f$1@dont-email.me>,
Richard Harnden <richard.harnden@invalid.com> wrote:
>On 23/10/2023 15:20, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>> [ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
>> J Stressman <jstressman@gmail.com> wrote:.
>>
>>> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en
>>>

>That has a "Was this article helpful (y/n)?" at the bottom.
>
>Say "no" and use the feedback form to explain to GG what usenet is.
>
>Maybe it'll get someone at Google's attention. (Probably just get
>ignored like everything else)

Just hoping?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh7237$hfd$5$arnold@news.chmurka.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3423&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3423

From: gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:11:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:faTGqmuUEliC1pz/+BrQxzrf6l0= sha256:p9K4rbFqb166UzYLzp+qFiYY8VMxJcVbMwJf1RfQMQw=
sha1:6daXZ7hO2AGiQExSBLONg7XpHPU= sha256:7T83Bj5w8e1f06lWPJfglPG2SQBKJSV7YNdFRGeQYs4=
 by: Adam W. - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:11 UTC

In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?

If it's Thai then probably like pl.soc.polityka. It's getting spammed in
large amounts in some Asian language. Spamassassin on E-S (propagated with
NoCeMs) catches many such posts, but some still get through. I took a look
at sci.lang.japan and it looks similar to what's on pl.soc.polityka.

The rule to remove these messages should be simple (just detect some
characters from that alphabet in subject, that's one thing these posts
have in common) and some posters already do it on their side. I'll play
with it on my server. I'll check if these posts have References or not. If
not, then I'll probably make a rule to exclude posts with References from
the filter (to avoid killing a post if a legitimate poster responds to a
spam -- it's not advisable, but shouldn't be punishable).

Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider installing a
newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one of
newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't require
any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these messages
with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already filtered on
the server you choose). If you don't find a suitable server, let us know
in this thread (many newsadmins read the group this message was
crossposted to).

I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
them.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh734g$1nf$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3424

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:29:04 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:29 UTC

In article <uh7237$hfd$5$arnold@news.chmurka.net>,
Adam W. <gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid> wrote:
>In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>
>If it's Thai then probably like pl.soc.polityka. It's getting spammed in
>large amounts in some Asian language. Spamassassin on E-S (propagated with
>NoCeMs) catches many such posts, but some still get through. I took a look
>at sci.lang.japan and it looks similar to what's on pl.soc.polityka.
>
>The rule to remove these messages should be simple (just detect some
>characters from that alphabet in subject, that's one thing these posts
>have in common) and some posters already do it on their side. I'll play
>with it on my server. I'll check if these posts have References or not. If
>not, then I'll probably make a rule to exclude posts with References from
>the filter (to avoid killing a post if a legitimate poster responds to a
>spam -- it's not advisable, but shouldn't be punishable).
>
>Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider installing a
>newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one of
>newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't require
>any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these messages
>with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already filtered on
>the server you choose). If you don't find a suitable server, let us know
>in this thread (many newsadmins read the group this message was
>crossposted to).
>
>I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
>great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
>them.

It is headin that way!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<edee92bbea77a24b9fa75bf377940af0@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3425

From: J@M (D)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:06:25 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 01:06 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:11:19 -0000 (UTC), gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) wrote:
>In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>
>If it's Thai then probably like pl.soc.polityka. It's getting spammed in
>large amounts in some Asian language. Spamassassin on E-S (propagated with
>NoCeMs) catches many such posts, but some still get through. I took a look
>at sci.lang.japan and it looks similar to what's on pl.soc.polityka.
>The rule to remove these messages should be simple (just detect some
>characters from that alphabet in subject, that's one thing these posts
>have in common) and some posters already do it on their side. I'll play
>with it on my server. I'll check if these posts have References or not. If
>not, then I'll probably make a rule to exclude posts with References from
>the filter (to avoid killing a post if a legitimate poster responds to a
>spam -- it's not advisable, but shouldn't be punishable).
>Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider installing a
>newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one of
>newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't require
>any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these messages
>with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already filtered on
>the server you choose). If you don't find a suitable server, let us know
>in this thread (many newsadmins read the group this message was
>crossposted to).
>I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
>great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
>them.

by now, most newsgroup subscribers have set their favorite newsreader
to automatically filter out all googlespam & pointless x-posted junk,
but for those not using a newsreader with scoring features to demote/
delete googlespam and x-posts, 40tude Dialog is easy to setup and use.
40tude Dialog version 2.0.15.84 (4d2b38.exe, 3.8 MB) is an "oldie but
goodie"(dialog.exe, 7 Feb 2005) but it works great on Windows 11/7/XP
and works especially well with Omnimix using Tor for maximum security:
https://download.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/40tude-Dialog/FREE.html
https://www.danner-net.de/om.htm
https://www.torproject.org/

scoring is easy: to filter "googlegroups" and "x-post" spam, connect
to your favorite newsserver using Omnimix w/Tor on "localhost", user
and password "omnimix"; get grouplist, subscribe to any newsgroup(s),
retrieve 100s of headers, set "Scoring and actions" syntax to demote
googlegroups to -9999, xpost to -9998, and set colors to darken them:

[*]
-9999 Message-ID googlegroups.com
-9999 References googlegroups.com
!setcolor(olive;gray) Message-ID googlegroups.com
!setcolor(gray;olive) References googlegroups.com
!ignore Message-ID googlegroups.com
-9998 Xpost %>2
!setcolor(purple;maroon) Xpost %>2

then in "Group" menu, click "Apply scoring and actions on selected groups";
40tude Dialog "Help"[F1], "Scoring/Actions Syntax" explains how this works:
>Scoring and actions is one of Dialog's most powerful features. The syntax
>and actually most of the code is from Jurgen Haible's excellent local mail-
>and newsserver Hamster.
>What is Scoring?
>Scoring is the process of assigning a number between -9999 and +9999 to a
>message by applying scoring rules to the message. A scoring rule usually
>analyzes one header field of the message and if it this header field matches
>a certain text, a score value is assigned. For example, you can create a
>scoring rule that assign the highest score value +9999 to all messages that
>have your email address in the From header field, so that your messages
>always receive a score of +9999.
>The score value is shown in the header list in green for positive scores
>and in red for negative scores:
>Note that the list of headers can be sorted by score (with or without
>threading), so scoring can be used to visually organize and separate
>important from unimportant messages...."
[end quote]

adding additional scoring rules may be desirable in some newsgroups,
but simply ignoring articles/threads by pressing "i" probably works
better for most users, and keeps the "filters.dat" file compact and
simple; "googlespam" has been flooding many 100s of busy newsgroups,
so simply using "!delete" instead of "!ignore" all googlegroups.com
articles is surest way to eliminate it altogether, but scoring them
"-9999" is more fun, and shows how much googlespam is being demoted

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<XnsB0A7242408736F28C@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3426

From: blue.mountains@org.invalid (Wasabi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 02:33:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Wasabi - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 02:33 UTC

gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) wrote:

> Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider
installing a
newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one
of
> newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't
require
> any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these
messages
> with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already
filtered on
> the server you choose)

eternal-september.org is free and seems to be successfully filtering
the spam - I've seen none of the spam being referred to on slj.
(Just a shame there's almost no real traffic these days either!)

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<rb8kPatbEqdcCVLUN@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3427

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:08:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:08 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:11:19 -0000 (UTC)
gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) wrote:
> Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider installing a
> newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one of
> newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't require
> any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these messages
> with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already filtered on
> the server you choose). If you don't find a suitable server, let us know
> in this thread (many newsadmins read the group this message was
> crossposted to).

Even simpler , they should save the thread "Free News Servers Listing" from
April 2023 on news.admin.peering .

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<C3MPeEw0NowTCyaX9@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3428&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3428

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,sci.lang.japan
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:23:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:23 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:55:32 +0100
Richard Harnden <richard.nospam@gmail.invalid> wrote:
> On 23/10/2023 15:20, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> > [ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
> > J Stressman <jstressman@gmail.com> wrote:.
> >
> >> https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9792297?hl=en

The link has things like "To locate a group that you don't own" and also

If you're the owner of a group that has been marked as spam or has a lot
spam content, you might want to delete the whole group. You can't restore
a group after you delete it.

..This suggests that the page is intended for the googlegroups message boards
rather than the googlegroups interface to usenet. The last piece of advice is
so ludicrous that it suggests that Google also considers its own message
boards abandonware.

> That has a "Was this article helpful (y/n)?" at the bottom.
>
> Say "no" and use the feedback form to explain to GG what usenet is.
>
> Maybe it'll get someone at Google's attention. (Probably just get
> ignored like everything else)

--
Some people say there is a God. Some say there is no God. Personally ,
I feel the truth lies probably somewhere between these two extremes.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<0c8f5d25f6258b7fdfdf25135ee6ea45@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3429

From: J@M (D)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:47:22 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:47 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 02:33:10 -0000 (UTC), Wasabi <blue.mountains@org.invalid> wrote:
>gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) wrote:
>> Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider
>installing a
>newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one
>of
>> newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't
>require
>> any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these
>messages
>> with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already
>filtered on
>> the server you choose)
>
>eternal-september.org is free and seems to be successfully filtering
>the spam - I've seen none of the spam being referred to on slj.
>(Just a shame there's almost no real traffic these days either!)

at this writing, nearly *nine thousand* (8757) googlegroups.com posts/replies
have flooded the <sci.lang.japan> newsgroup since 1 October 2023 and counting;
by stark contrast, only *twenty one* (21) non-googlegroups.com posts since 20
March 2023, with only *one* (1) article since 1 October 2023... one all month?

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<1f62fdc65c4510dff605524e9916efaa@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3430

From: J@M (D)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:17:35 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 04:17 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:08:38 -0000 (UTC), Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 00:11:19 -0000 (UTC)
>gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) wrote:
>> Note to Google Groups users from SLJ: you should consider installing a
>> newsreader (a program for reading Usenet) and getting access to one of
>> newsservers (many are free, run by volunteers, and some even don't require
>> any registration). Then at least you'll be able to filter these messages
>> with a rule in the newsreader program (if they're not already filtered on
>> the server you choose). If you don't find a suitable server, let us know
>> in this thread (many newsadmins read the group this message was
>> crossposted to).
>
>Even simpler , they should save the thread "Free News Servers Listing" from
>April 2023 on news.admin.peering .

(30 articles in the thread) . . .

From: Syber Shock <admin@sybershock.com>
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,news.admin.peering,rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Free News Servers Listing
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 03:59:49 -0500
>A list of free news server providers now lives at:
>https://sybershock.com/#usenet
>Peer operators and usenetizens: if there are more that may be added to
>the list please post them here or send to the sysop email on the site
>or in this message header.
>I would like to find and list every free NNTP host possible. This
>should include local niche sites that don't feed yet do allow public
>access.
[end quote]

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<05d035d1bd26ae934df94eca05d31446@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3431&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3431

From: J@M (D)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:32:42 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 04:32 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 03:23:37 -0000 (UTC), Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:55:32 +0100
>Richard Harnden <richard.nospam@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>> On 23/10/2023 15:20, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>> > [ Crossposting to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet ]
>The link has things like "To locate a group that you don't own" and also
> If you're the owner of a group that has been marked as spam or has a lot
> spam content, you might want to delete the whole group. You can't restore
> a group after you delete it.
>.This suggests that the page is intended for the googlegroups message boards
>rather than the googlegroups interface to usenet. The last piece of advice is
>so ludicrous that it suggests that Google also considers its own message
>boards abandonware.
snip
>--
>Some people say there is a God. Some say there is no God. Personally ,
>I feel the truth lies probably somewhere between these two extremes.
> J.B. Morton

off topic but... if "God" is what makes existence, then "God" must be more than
existence, so it follows that "God" may not really exist...why would it need to?

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<wwv1qdkx846.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3432&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3432

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:06:49 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:06 UTC

gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) writes:
> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>
> If it's Thai then probably like pl.soc.polityka. It's getting spammed in
> large amounts in some Asian language. Spamassassin on E-S (propagated with
> NoCeMs) catches many such posts, but some still get through. I took a look
> at sci.lang.japan and it looks similar to what's on pl.soc.polityka.
>
> The rule to remove these messages should be simple (just detect some
> characters from that alphabet in subject, that's one thing these posts
> have in common) and some posters already do it on their side. I'll play
> with it on my server.

It needs RFC2047-decoding if you’re doing it in a server-side filter,
which is annoying but doable.

There’s a _lot_ of other spam left in comp.lang.c even after eliminating
the Thai-characters messages though. I’ve not yet identified enough
commonality to kill it.

> I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
> great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
> them.

Google products do tend to get withdrawn...

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh95vs$mjc$10@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3433&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3433

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:30:04 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:30 UTC

In article <wwv1qdkx846.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) writes:
>> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>>
>> If it's Thai then probably like pl.soc.polityka. It's getting spammed in
>> large amounts in some Asian language. Spamassassin on E-S (propagated with
>> NoCeMs) catches many such posts, but some still get through. I took a look
>> at sci.lang.japan and it looks similar to what's on pl.soc.polityka.
>>
>> The rule to remove these messages should be simple (just detect some
>> characters from that alphabet in subject, that's one thing these posts
>> have in common) and some posters already do it on their side. I'll play
>> with it on my server.
>
>It needs RFC2047-decoding if you’re doing it in a server-side filter,
>which is annoying but doable.
>
>There’s a _lot_ of other spam left in comp.lang.c even after eliminating
>the Thai-characters messages though. I’ve not yet identified enough
>commonality to kill it.
>
>> I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
>> great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
>> them.
>
>Google products do tend to get withdrawn...

Google+ is more successful than Google Groups!

>--
>https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uh9eqv$79ma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3434&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3434

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:00:50 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:00 UTC

On 10/24/23 14:30, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <wwv1qdkx846.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.) writes:
>>> I have a feeling that Google Groups will be killed one day anyway (to the
>>> great relief of many newsadmins), like many other Google products before
>>> them.
>>
>> Google products do tend to get withdrawn...
>>

> Google+ is more successful than Google Groups!

At least people know Google+, even if as a punch line.

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uhbi3o$j5o$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3435&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3435

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: sci.lang.japan,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: 25 Oct 2023 17:09:12 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:09 UTC

In article <RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
>doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>
>I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
>sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
>don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
>the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
>off and you can form your own opinion.

It is similar spam injected in a similar way. Much like the spam on
comp.os.vms and on comp.protocols.time.ntp. It is more or less a universal
problem across usenet. Many sites sites just dump all Google postings or
dump anything with "UTF-8" in a malformed subject line.
--scott

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<34823ab1aaeae2f38009f9d1b34fa5be@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3436&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3436

From: J@M (D)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:09:36 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:09 UTC

On 25 Oct 2023 17:09:12 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>In article <RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>,
>Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
>>doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>>> Is this like comp.arch or comp.lang.c?
>>I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
>>sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
>>don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
>>the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
>>off and you can form your own opinion.
>
>It is similar spam injected in a similar way. Much like the spam on
>comp.os.vms and on comp.protocols.time.ntp. It is more or less a universal
>problem across usenet. Many sites sites just dump all Google postings or
>dump anything with "UTF-8" in a malformed subject line.
>--scott

plus ones . . . particularly the part about "dump all Google postings"
^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<uhcacr$167o$23@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3437&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3437

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:03:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:03 UTC

In article <34823ab1aaeae2f38009f9d1b34fa5be@dizum.com>, D <J@M> wrote:
>On 25 Oct 2023 17:09:12 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>In article <RJZgNzzq7otMBCT65@bongo-ra.co>,
>>Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>I'm not sure what you're asking. If the question is whether the spam on
>>>sci.lang.japan is as bad as it is on comp.arch or comp.lang.c , I
>>>don't know. Try the groups through a server which doesn't seem to filter
>>>the spam (news.cyber23.de doesn't seem to do so) and with your own filters
>>>off and you can form your own opinion.
>>
>>It is similar spam injected in a similar way. Much like the spam on
>>comp.os.vms and on comp.protocols.time.ntp. It is more or less a universal
>>problem across usenet. Many sites sites just dump all Google postings or
>>dump anything with "UTF-8" in a malformed subject line.
>>--scott
>
>plus ones . . . particularly the part about "dump all Google postings"
> ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

I do that!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Is this the end of SLJ?

<205e6c945685f1c2d525b41342d01013@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3438&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3438

From: J@M (D)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:27:17 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 01:27 UTC

On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:03:39 -0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>In article <34823ab1aaeae2f38009f9d1b34fa5be@dizum.com>, D <J@M> wrote:
>>On 25 Oct 2023 17:09:12 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>>It is similar spam injected in a similar way. Much like the spam on
>>>comp.os.vms and on comp.protocols.time.ntp. It is more or less a universal
>>>problem across usenet. Many sites sites just dump all Google postings or
>>>dump anything with "UTF-8" in a malformed subject line.
>>>--scott
>>
>>plus ones . . . particularly the part about "dump all Google postings"
>
>I do that!
>--
>Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
>Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!

(using Tor Browser 13.0.1)
https://mindspring.com
>Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead
>Tor Browser detected an issue and did not continue to mindspring.com. The website
>is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.
>What can you do about it?
>Your computer clock is set to Oct 25, 2023. Make sure your computer is set to the
>correct date, time, and time zone in your system settings, and then refresh
>mindspring.com.
>If your clock is already set to the right time, the website is likely misconfigured,
>and there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. You can notify the website's
>administrator about the problem.
>Learn more...
>https://support.mozilla.org/1/firefox/115.4.0/WINNT/en-US/time-errors
> Go Back(Recommended) Advanced...
>mindspring.com uses an invalid security certificate.
>The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate has expired.
>Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_ISSUER_CERTIFICATE
>View Certificate
>Certificate
>php8.earthlink.serverguy.cloud
>Validity
>Not Before Wed, 24 Feb 2021 08:06:13 GMT
>Not After Tue, 25 May 2021 08:06:13 GMT
> Go Back(Recommended) Accept the Risk and Continue...
>502 Bad Gateway
>Microsoft-Azure-Application-Gateway/v2
(bridges didn't work either, tried) . . .
https://web.archive.org/web/19961219135430/https://mindspring.com/
>Welcome to MindSpring Enterprises. MindSpring is an Internet service provider based in Atlanta, GA.
>We are dedicated to providing superior service to our customers.
>(c) 1996 MindSpring Enterprises, Inc.
>1430 West Peachtree St. NW, Suite 400
>Atlanta, GA 30309
[end quoted excerpts]

glad you've ixnayed the unequivocally detestable ghoul goo groups...
if only the google admins would do the right thing and pull the plug