One man's constant is another man's variable. -- A. J. Perlis

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

SubjectAuthor
* Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"Hans Bachner
+* Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"Simon Clubley
|+- Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"John H. Reinhardt
|`- Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"Camiel Vanderhoeven
`* Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"Subcommandante XDelta
 `* Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"gcalliet
  `- Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"Camiel Vanderhoeven

1
Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<l87i0kFcg4sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34109&group=comp.os.vms#34109

From: hans@bachner.priv.at (Hans Bachner)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for
OpenVMS"
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:58:27 +0200
 by: Hans Bachner - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:58 UTC

Here's the official announcement:

<https://vmssoftware.com/about/news/2024-04-15-camiel-v-chief-architect-and-strategist-for-openvms/>

Hans.

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<uvmdkf$12lpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34111&group=comp.os.vms#34111

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:47:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:47 UTC

On 2024-04-16, Hans Bachner <hans@bachner.priv.at> wrote:
> Here's the official announcement:
>
><https://vmssoftware.com/about/news/2024-04-15-camiel-v-chief-architect-and-strategist-for-openvms/>

First, congratulations Camiel.

Second, after 10 years of what was originally going to be a 3-year port,
I imagine Clair is looking to retire for good this time, so if you are
reading this Clair, I wish you well, and thanks for everything you have
done to drive development to this point.

[BTW, I am surprised the above announcement didn't say anything about taking
on some of Clair's responsibilities, unlike the earlier discussion here.]

Simon.

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<uvn1te$16ua1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34113&group=comp.os.vms#34113

From: vlf@star.enet.dec.com (Subcommandante XDelta)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
OpenVMS"
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:34:01 +1000
 by: Subcommandante XDelt - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:34 UTC

On 17/04/2024 12:58 am, Hans Bachner wrote:
> Here's the official announcement:
>
> <https://vmssoftware.com/about/news/2024-04-15-camiel-v-chief-architect-and-strategist-for-openvms/>
>

> Hans.

May he have a productive sojourn for preferable outcomes for VMS ecosystem, in the near and the long term - across generations of both people and hardware.

Two phronesis principles:

1. Pay close attention, and heed the received wisdom, advice, and navigational guidance, from Gerard Calliet (Asterix) and the VMS Generations group. (the Hoff', of course, is the Druid Getafix).

2. Pay close attention, and heed the received wisdom, advice, and navigational guidance, inklings gleaned from the proceedings and transactions of the august comp.os.vms collegial colloquium, the collective wisdom of the old hands, that still draw breath. (Or at least assign an AI/LLM instance to give you daily, weekly, and monthy summaries)

As always, light a candle.

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<l88kdaFhgb2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34115&group=comp.os.vms#34115

From: johnhreinhardt@thereinhardts.org (John H. Reinhardt)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
OpenVMS"
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:45:30 -0500
 by: John H. Reinhardt - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 00:45 UTC

On 4/16/2024 12:47 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> [BTW, I am surprised the above announcement didn't say anything about taking
> on some of Clair's responsibilities, unlike the earlier discussion here.]
>
> Simon.

There was an announcement somewhere that I saw which mentioned Camiel taking some of Clair's responsibilities. Maybe it was on the VSI FaceBook page.

--
John H. Reinhardt

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<l89s55Fn5mfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34121&group=comp.os.vms#34121

From: gerard.calliet@pia-sofer.fr (gcalliet)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
OpenVMS"
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:03:50 +0200
 by: gcalliet - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:03 UTC

Le 17/04/2024 à 01:34, Subcommandante XDelta a écrit :
> On 17/04/2024 12:58 am, Hans Bachner wrote:
>> Here's the official announcement:
>>
>> <https://vmssoftware.com/about/news/2024-04-15-camiel-v-chief-architect-and-strategist-for-openvms/>
>>

>> Hans.
>
> May he have a productive sojourn for preferable outcomes for VMS ecosystem, in the near and the long term - across generations of both people and hardware.
>
> Two phronesis principles:
>
> 1. Pay close attention, and heed the received wisdom, advice, and navigational guidance, from Gerard Calliet (Asterix) and the VMS Generations group. (the Hoff', of course, is the Druid Getafix).
>
> 2. Pay close attention, and heed the received wisdom, advice, and navigational guidance, inklings gleaned from the proceedings and transactions of the august comp.os.vms collegial colloquium, the collective wisdom of the old hands, that still draw breath. (Or at least assign an AI/LLM instance to give you daily, weekly, and monthy summaries)
>
> As always, light a candle.
Dear Subcommandante XDelta (Obelix?) "que la force soit avec toi".
("Obelix" is for the strenght, not for the mind, of course, don't take
offense).

I light a candle, too.

Gérard Calliet

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<uvoqeh$1m673$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34122&group=comp.os.vms#34122

From: camiel.vanderhoeven@vmssoftware.com (Camiel Vanderhoeven)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
OpenVMS"
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:38:55 +0200
 by: Camiel Vanderhoeven - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:38 UTC

Simon Clubley wrote:
> First, congratulations Camiel.

Thank you!

> Second, after 10 years of what was originally going to be a 3-year port,
> I imagine Clair is looking to retire for good this time, so if you are
> reading this Clair, I wish you well, and thanks for everything you have
> done to drive development to this point.

Clair is not retiring; he is going to cut back his hours a bit, but I'm
very glad that we don't have to do without his invaluable contributions yet.

> [BTW, I am surprised the above announcement didn't say anything about taking
> on some of Clair's responsibilities, unlike the earlier discussion here.]

I'm not taking on Clair's title of "CTO" for a reason, and that's
because it's not a one-on-one transfer of Clair's responsibilities. I'm
taking on a lot(but not all) of responsibilities that were Clair's, some
that were others', and some that were not clearly defined before.

Camiel

Re: Camiel Vanderhoeven appointed "Chief Architect and Strategist for OpenVMS"

<uvoqki$1m673$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=34123&group=comp.os.vms#34123

From: camiel.vanderhoeven@vmssoftware.com (Camiel Vanderhoeven)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
OpenVMS"
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:42:09 +0200
 by: Camiel Vanderhoeven - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:42 UTC

gcalliet wrote:
> Le 17/04/2024 à 01:34, Subcommandante XDelta a écrit :
>> As always, light a candle.
> Dear Subcommandante XDelta (Obelix?) "que la force soit avec toi".
> ("Obelix" is for the strenght, not for the mind, of course, don't take
> offense).
>
> I light a candle, too.

Merci chers amis!

Thank you for the advice and kind words.

Camiel