Dennis Ritchie is twice as bright as Steve Jobs, and only half wrong. -- Jim Gettys

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

SubjectAuthor
* Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)MarioCCCP
+* Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)J.O. Aho
|`* Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)MarioCCCP
| `* Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)J.O. Aho
|  `- Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)MarioCCCP
+* Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)Killadebug
|`- Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)MarioCCCP
`* Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)David W. Hodgins
 `- Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)MarioCCCP

1
Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<usk7a1$2uotc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3451&group=alt.os.linux#3451

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:58:57 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:58 UTC

Sillily (LOL) I tried a Dist Upgrade (Linux MX dist upgrade
from Wildflower to Libretto) without following exactly the
procedure in the MX 23 Forum
here :
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/upgrading-from-mx-21-to-mx-23-without-reinstalling/
I resume the steps below
Upgrade Steps:
1) Upgrade your system to the latest packages with:
sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
sudo apt install mx23-archive-keyring
3) Change sources to point to bookworm release (search
all .list files and replace “bullseye” with “bookworm”):
find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec sudo sed -i
's/bullseye/bookworm/g' {} +
4) Add non-free-firmware to debian sources (or by hand:
edit the debian.list and add “non-free-firmware” to each deb
line):
grep -qF 'non-free-firmware'
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list || sudo sed -i
's/non-free/non-free non-free-firmware/g'
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
5) Upgrade packages (make sure nothing important is
removed at this step: examine the prompt before you press “y”):
sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade

Now, acting sillily basing on what I recalled, I performed
all stages FORGETTING 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:

The upgrade resulted in PARTIAL success (and failure
overall). I dunno exactly what was upgraded and what not.
I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the
package mx23-archive-keyring was no longer available.
Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been
overwritten by hand.
Am I right ?
Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to
locate the correct package name, which apparently is neither
mx23-archive-keyring nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and
moreover the URL could be wrong too or both), but well, as I
was saying : Is it still a way to install a single package
from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in the
new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?
Some core package, resulting NOT SIGNED, refuse to be
upgraded, so such keys are necessary.
I hope I was able to explain sufficiently sth I don't
understand myself.
Tnx for any advice for this mess (the system runs, and
reports itself as the OLD one, even if it upgraded many
hundreds of packages)

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<l55qc0Fe30cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3452&group=alt.os.linux#3452

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:20:00 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:20 UTC

On 10/03/2024 12.58, MarioCCCP wrote:

> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the package
> mx23-archive-keyring  was no longer available.
> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been overwritten
> by hand.

Think step 1 already did some changes, but step 3 will take care of all
3rd party repositories.

> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to locate the
> correct package name, which apparently is neither mx23-archive-keyring
> nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and moreover the URL could be wrong too
> or both), but well, as I was saying : Is it still a way to install a
> single package from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in
> the new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?

wget
https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb

sudo apt install -f ./mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb

and then continue from step 5 if you are sure you have done the changes
needed for the repo files, cross your fingers and hope it will work.

--
//Aho

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<uskc5a$2vpe4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3453&group=alt.os.linux#3453

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:21:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:21 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:58:57 +0100, MarioCCCP wrote:

> Sillily (LOL) I tried a Dist Upgrade (Linux MX dist upgrade from
> Wildflower to Libretto) without following exactly the procedure in the
> MX 23 Forum
>
> here :
> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/upgrading-from-mx-21-to-mx-23-without-
reinstalling/

> I resume the steps below
>
> Upgrade Steps:
>
> 1) Upgrade your system to the latest packages with:
>
> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>
> sudo apt install mx23-archive-keyring
>
> 3) Change sources to point to bookworm release (search all .list
> files and replace “bullseye” with “bookworm”):
>
> find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec sudo sed -i 's/bullseye/bookworm/g'
> {} +
>
> 4) Add non-free-firmware to debian sources (or by hand:
> edit the debian.list and add “non-free-firmware” to each deb line):
>
> grep -qF 'non-free-firmware'
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list || sudo sed -i 's/non-free/non-free
> non-free-firmware/g'
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
>
> 5) Upgrade packages (make sure nothing important is removed at this
> step: examine the prompt before you press “y”):
>
> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>

> Now, acting sillily basing on what I recalled, I performed all stages
> FORGETTING 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>

> The upgrade resulted in PARTIAL success (and failure overall). I dunno
> exactly what was upgraded and what not.
>
> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the package
> mx23-archive-keyring was no longer available.
> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been overwritten
> by hand.
> Am I right ?
>
> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to locate the
> correct package name, which apparently is neither mx23-archive-keyring
> nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and moreover the URL could be wrong too
> or both), but well, as I was saying : Is it still a way to install a
> single package from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in
> the new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?
>
> Some core package, resulting NOT SIGNED, refuse to be upgraded, so such
> keys are necessary.
>
> I hope I was able to explain sufficiently sth I don't understand myself.
>
> Tnx for any advice for this mess (the system runs, and reports itself as
> the OLD one, even if it upgraded many hundreds of packages)

Mario,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully you made a complete backup
BEFORE your tried the upgrade. In your present situation you should do a
full restore.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<op.2ke4fwpla3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3454&group=alt.os.linux#3454

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:46:34 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:46 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 07:58:57 -0400, MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:

> Sillily (LOL) I tried a Dist Upgrade (Linux MX dist upgrade
> from Wildflower to Libretto) without following exactly the
> procedure in the MX 23 Forum
>
> here :
> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/upgrading-from-mx-21-to-mx-23-without-reinstalling/
>
> I resume the steps below
>
> Upgrade Steps:
>
> 1) Upgrade your system to the latest packages with:
>
> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>
> sudo apt install mx23-archive-keyring
>
> 3) Change sources to point to bookworm release (search
> all .list files and replace “bullseye” with “bookworm”):
>
> find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec sudo sed -i
> 's/bullseye/bookworm/g' {} +
>
> 4) Add non-free-firmware to debian sources (or by hand:
> edit the debian.list and add “non-free-firmware” to each deb
> line):
>
> grep -qF 'non-free-firmware'
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list || sudo sed -i
> 's/non-free/non-free non-free-firmware/g'
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
>
> 5) Upgrade packages (make sure nothing important is
> removed at this step: examine the prompt before you press “y”):
>
> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>

> Now, acting sillily basing on what I recalled, I performed
> all stages FORGETTING 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>

> The upgrade resulted in PARTIAL success (and failure
> overall). I dunno exactly what was upgraded and what not.
>
> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the
> package mx23-archive-keyring was no longer available.
> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been
> overwritten by hand.
> Am I right ?
>
> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to
> locate the correct package name, which apparently is neither
> mx23-archive-keyring nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and
> moreover the URL could be wrong too or both), but well, as I
> was saying : Is it still a way to install a single package
> from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in the
> new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?
>
> Some core package, resulting NOT SIGNED, refuse to be
> upgraded, so such keys are necessary.
>
> I hope I was able to explain sufficiently sth I don't
> understand myself.
>
> Tnx for any advice for this mess (the system runs, and
> reports itself as the OLD one, even if it upgraded many
> hundreds of packages)

https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/

I've never used ubuntu, so don't know how to actually install the package.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<uslesg$376hp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3460&group=alt.os.linux#3460

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:14:23 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:14 UTC

On 10/03/24 13:46, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 07:58:57 -0400, MarioCCCP
> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>

>> Sillily (LOL) I tried a Dist Upgrade  (Linux MX dist upgrade
>> from Wildflower to Libretto)  without following exactly the
>> procedure in the MX 23 Forum
>>
>> here :
>> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/upgrading-from-mx-21-to-mx-23-without-reinstalling/
>>
>> I resume the steps below
>>
>> Upgrade Steps:
>>
>> 1)    Upgrade your system to the latest packages with:
>>
>> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>>
>> 2)    Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>>
>> sudo apt install mx23-archive-keyring
>>
>> 3)    Change sources to point to bookworm release (search
>> all .list files and replace “bullseye” with “bookworm”):
>>
>> find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec sudo sed -i
>> 's/bullseye/bookworm/g' {} +
>>
>> 4)    Add non-free-firmware to debian sources (or by hand:
>> edit the debian.list and add “non-free-firmware” to each deb
>> line):
>>
>> grep -qF 'non-free-firmware'
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list || sudo sed -i
>> 's/non-free/non-free non-free-firmware/g'
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
>>
>> 5)    Upgrade packages (make sure nothing important is
>> removed at this step: examine the prompt before you press
>> “y”):
>>
>> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>>

>> Now, acting sillily basing on what I recalled, I performed
>> all stages FORGETTING 2)  Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>>

>> The upgrade resulted in PARTIAL success (and failure
>> overall). I dunno exactly what was upgraded and what not.
>>
>> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the
>> package  mx23-archive-keyring  was no longer available.
>> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been
>> overwritten by hand.
>> Am I right ?
>>
>> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to
>> locate the correct package name, which apparently is neither
>> mx23-archive-keyring nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and
>> moreover the URL could be wrong too or both), but well, as I
>> was saying : Is it still a way to install a single package
>> from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in the
>> new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?
>>
>> Some core package, resulting NOT SIGNED, refuse to be
>> upgraded, so such keys are necessary.
>>
>> I hope I was able to explain sufficiently sth I don't
>> understand myself.
>>
>> Tnx for any advice for this mess (the system runs, and
>> reports itself as the OLD one, even if it upgraded many
>> hundreds of packages)
>
> https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/
oh God bless you ! I'll try it on wednsday ... finger crossed
CIAO
:D

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<uslf3o$376hp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3461&group=alt.os.linux#3461

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:18:16 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:18 UTC

On 10/03/24 14:20, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 10/03/2024 12.58, MarioCCCP wrote:
>
>> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the
>> package mx23-archive-keyring  was no longer available.
>> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been
>> overwritten by hand.
>
> Think step 1 already did some changes, but step 3 will take
> care of all 3rd party repositories.
>
>> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable
>> to locate the correct package name, which apparently is
>> neither mx23-archive-keyring nor mx23-archive-key or
>> suilar, and moreover the URL could be wrong too or both),
>> but well, as I was saying : Is it still a way to install a
>> single package from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER
>> 21 Repo) in the new system, and then repeat the upgrade
>> procedure ?
God bless you too :D

> wget https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
where exactly WGET puts the downloaded file ? Is it there
some standard default location ? Or it saves it in the
current directory ? If so, should I position the terminal on
root folder or, ig, some APT related folder ?

> sudo apt install -f ./mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
I assume I should be positioned in the folder above, or am I
wrong ?

> and then continue from step 5 if you are sure you have done
> the changes needed for the repo files, cross your fingers
> and hope it will work.
yes I'll repeat the "full upgrade", hoping also the package
suspended as not signed, would eventually result signed and
proceed.
TY

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<uslfdm$37cln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3462&group=alt.os.linux#3462

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:23:34 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:23 UTC

On 10/03/24 14:21, Killadebug wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:58:57 +0100, MarioCCCP wrote:
>
>> Sillily (LOL) I tried a Dist Upgrade (Linux MX dist upgrade from
>> Wildflower to Libretto) without following exactly the procedure in the
>> MX 23 Forum
>>
>> here :
>> https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/upgrading-from-mx-21-to-mx-23-without-
> reinstalling/
>>
>> I resume the steps below
>>
>> Upgrade Steps:
>>
>> 1) Upgrade your system to the latest packages with:
>>
>> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>>
>> 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>>
>> sudo apt install mx23-archive-keyring
>>
>> 3) Change sources to point to bookworm release (search all .list
>> files and replace “bullseye” with “bookworm”):
>>
>> find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec sudo sed -i 's/bullseye/bookworm/g'
>> {} +
>>
>> 4) Add non-free-firmware to debian sources (or by hand:
>> edit the debian.list and add “non-free-firmware” to each deb line):
>>
>> grep -qF 'non-free-firmware'
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list || sudo sed -i 's/non-free/non-free
>> non-free-firmware/g'
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
>>
>> 5) Upgrade packages (make sure nothing important is removed at this
>> step: examine the prompt before you press “y”):
>>
>> sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
>>

>> Now, acting sillily basing on what I recalled, I performed all stages
>> FORGETTING 2) Install mx23-archive-keyring:
>>

>> The upgrade resulted in PARTIAL success (and failure overall). I dunno
>> exactly what was upgraded and what not.
>>
>> I then, late alas, to do step 2) afterwards, but then the package
>> mx23-archive-keyring was no longer available.
>> Maybe it belonged to the ORIGINAL MX21 Repo, that had been overwritten
>> by hand.
>> Am I right ?
>>
>> Is it still a way (I tried using WGET, failing, as unable to locate the
>> correct package name, which apparently is neither mx23-archive-keyring
>> nor mx23-archive-key or suilar, and moreover the URL could be wrong too
>> or both), but well, as I was saying : Is it still a way to install a
>> single package from a given repo (the original WILDFLOWER 21 Repo) in
>> the new system, and then repeat the upgrade procedure ?
>>
>> Some core package, resulting NOT SIGNED, refuse to be upgraded, so such
>> keys are necessary.
>>
>> I hope I was able to explain sufficiently sth I don't understand myself.
>>
>> Tnx for any advice for this mess (the system runs, and reports itself as
>> the OLD one, even if it upgraded many hundreds of packages)
>
> Mario,
> Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully you made a complete backup
> BEFORE your tried the upgrade. In your present situation you should do a
> full restore.

mmm, not really care, the system has almost no valuable data
on it, and moreover, it apparently works fine (simply, some
core components failed to be updated, likely the kernel
itself, since it still reports 6.1 when the candidate should
have been 6.5 or so).
Strange but such half-upgraded system seems to still be able
to run. Maybe all of the upgrades on dependent package, can
rely on 6.1 kernel. I mean : I had an older distro, but I
just upgraded the kernel manually (Wildflower usually runs
kernel 5.XXX, not 6.XXX).
I'll try the solutions proposed by Mr Jo-Aho and Hodgins
before giving up this upgrade. It's a laptop I am not even
using, I just wanted to refresh it a bit for possible later
use. I have an incredible tendency to mess up :D :D :D

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<l57om1Fn83pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3467&group=alt.os.linux#3467

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:03:29 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:03 UTC

On 11/03/2024 00.18, MarioCCCP wrote:
> On 10/03/24 14:20, J.O. Aho wrote:

>> wget
>> https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
>
> where exactly WGET puts the downloaded file ? Is it there some standard
> default location ? Or it saves it in the current directory ? If so,
> should I position the terminal on root folder or, ig, some APT related
> folder ?

If you don't specify any output location, then it will do that in the
directory where you are at the moment, the same way as touch will create
a file in the directory if you just provide a filename (please don't
just add a path after the current wget example, as you need to use the
-O option, more information: man wget ).

>> sudo apt install -f ./mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
>
> I assume I should be positioned in the folder above, or am I wrong ?

No, in current folder, see the difference

../ = current folder
.../ = folder one step closer to root (not root user home directory, but
the root directory which is /).

--
//Aho

Re: Signature Key for a REPO (Linux MX)

<usnks9$3pbep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3476&group=alt.os.linux#3476

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:08:57 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:08 UTC

On 11/03/24 08:03, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 00.18, MarioCCCP wrote:
>> On 10/03/24 14:20, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>>> wget
>>> https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx23-archive-keyring/mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
>>
>> where exactly WGET puts the downloaded file ? Is it there
>> some standard default location ? Or it saves it in the
>> current directory ? If so, should I position the terminal
>> on root folder or, ig, some APT related folder ?
>
> If you don't specify any output location, then it will do
> that in the directory where you are at the moment, the same
> way as touch will create a file in the directory if you just
> provide a filename (please don't just add a path after the
> current wget example, as you need to use the -O option, more
> information: man wget ).
>

>>> sudo apt install -f ./mx23-archive-keyring_2023.6.6_all.deb
>>
>> I assume I should be positioned in the folder above, or am
>> I wrong ?
>
> No, in current folder, see the difference

sorry for my bad english : with "above" I didn't mean a
level up, but in the aforesaid example (so the current folder)

> ./ = current folder
> ../ = folder one step closer to root (not root user home
> directory, but the root directory which is /).

Ok tnx !