From: dchmelik@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: buggy MS intellimouse driver?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 06:35:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 06:35 UTC

We use many GNU/Linux with MS Intellimouse (four-button) from late 1990s
Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 (mostly relatively new overstock) to recent
years so-called Classic Intellimouse. Since 2010s we've had more & more
problems with these and I wonder if the driver has serious/critical bugs.

We've used them (since 1997) on Slackware, Devuan, Kubuntu, Mint, KDE Neon
GNU/Linuxes and I also tested OpenSUSE, RedHat/clones (Rocky, Fedora),
Gentoo, Arch (SystemRescue) GNU/Linuxes.

Daily on every single one, occasionally/regularly mouse moves
intermittently/'choppy' or even stops for maybe 10 to 30+secs or just
permanently until unplug & replug or restarting X or rebooting. It
happens with both Intellimouse Explorer & 'Classic'.

My parents thought the problem might be mouse-pad, so they removed it and
used mouse on table, which didn't fix anything. We noticed Intellimouse
Classic doesn't seem to work much at all (unusable) on standard/classic
blue mouse-pads but works on a white one (better than on a table that
looks like woodgrain).

I also use plain two-button USB MS mice mostly on servers I don't use GUI
much if at all, so don't know it's a general MS mouse problem but their
other mice have different drivers (when you install Slackware you select
from MS Intellimouse or other USB or PS/2 mice).

We also briefly tested Wayland possibly with same problem, but don't
consider it 'production ready' for many reasons (nor do some/many others).

The 'choppy' Intellimouse problem has happened across at least six
different desktop PCs (and maybe some laptops) on every GNU/Linux they
have/had. I don't notice the problem on FreeBSD UNIX (which of course
originally is designed/standardized/engineered with a plan ahead of time
instead of 'make it up as you go along').

Did anyone else have this happen and is there any solution or anywhere I
can report bugs?

Re: buggy MS intellimouse driver?

<cj93ckxhiu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3470&group=alt.os.linux#3470

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: buggy MS intellimouse driver?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:21:32 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:21 UTC

On 2024-03-11 07:35, David Chmelik wrote:
> We use many GNU/Linux with MS Intellimouse (four-button) from late 1990s
> Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 (mostly relatively new overstock) to recent
> years so-called Classic Intellimouse. Since 2010s we've had more & more
> problems with these and I wonder if the driver has serious/critical bugs.
>
> We've used them (since 1997) on Slackware, Devuan, Kubuntu, Mint, KDE Neon
> GNU/Linuxes and I also tested OpenSUSE, RedHat/clones (Rocky, Fedora),
> Gentoo, Arch (SystemRescue) GNU/Linuxes.
>
> Daily on every single one, occasionally/regularly mouse moves
> intermittently/'choppy' or even stops for maybe 10 to 30+secs or just
> permanently until unplug & replug or restarting X or rebooting. It
> happens with both Intellimouse Explorer & 'Classic'.
>
> My parents thought the problem might be mouse-pad, so they removed it and
> used mouse on table, which didn't fix anything. We noticed Intellimouse
> Classic doesn't seem to work much at all (unusable) on standard/classic
> blue mouse-pads but works on a white one (better than on a table that
> looks like woodgrain).
>
> I also use plain two-button USB MS mice mostly on servers I don't use GUI
> much if at all, so don't know it's a general MS mouse problem but their
> other mice have different drivers (when you install Slackware you select
> from MS Intellimouse or other USB or PS/2 mice).
>
> We also briefly tested Wayland possibly with same problem, but don't
> consider it 'production ready' for many reasons (nor do some/many others).
>
> The 'choppy' Intellimouse problem has happened across at least six
> different desktop PCs (and maybe some laptops) on every GNU/Linux they
> have/had. I don't notice the problem on FreeBSD UNIX (which of course
> originally is designed/standardized/engineered with a plan ahead of time
> instead of 'make it up as you go along').
>
> Did anyone else have this happen and is there any solution or anywhere I
> can report bugs?

Each distribution has its own bug system. I know that on openSUSE you
could report this on its Bugzilla system. They would probably tell you
to report upstream somewhere.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: buggy MS intellimouse driver?

<usndt9$3nod1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3475&group=alt.os.linux#3475

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:10:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

David Chmelik <dchmelik@gmail.com> wrote at 06:35 this Monday (GMT):
> We use many GNU/Linux with MS Intellimouse (four-button) from late 1990s
> Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 (mostly relatively new overstock) to recent
> years so-called Classic Intellimouse. Since 2010s we've had more & more
> problems with these and I wonder if the driver has serious/critical bugs.
>
> We've used them (since 1997) on Slackware, Devuan, Kubuntu, Mint, KDE Neon
> GNU/Linuxes and I also tested OpenSUSE, RedHat/clones (Rocky, Fedora),
> Gentoo, Arch (SystemRescue) GNU/Linuxes.
>
> Daily on every single one, occasionally/regularly mouse moves
> intermittently/'choppy' or even stops for maybe 10 to 30+secs or just
> permanently until unplug & replug or restarting X or rebooting. It
> happens with both Intellimouse Explorer & 'Classic'.
>
> My parents thought the problem might be mouse-pad, so they removed it and
> used mouse on table, which didn't fix anything. We noticed Intellimouse
> Classic doesn't seem to work much at all (unusable) on standard/classic
> blue mouse-pads but works on a white one (better than on a table that
> looks like woodgrain).
>
> I also use plain two-button USB MS mice mostly on servers I don't use GUI
> much if at all, so don't know it's a general MS mouse problem but their
> other mice have different drivers (when you install Slackware you select
> from MS Intellimouse or other USB or PS/2 mice).
>
> We also briefly tested Wayland possibly with same problem, but don't
> consider it 'production ready' for many reasons (nor do some/many others).
>
> The 'choppy' Intellimouse problem has happened across at least six
> different desktop PCs (and maybe some laptops) on every GNU/Linux they
> have/had. I don't notice the problem on FreeBSD UNIX (which of course
> originally is designed/standardized/engineered with a plan ahead of time
> instead of 'make it up as you go along').
>
> Did anyone else have this happen and is there any solution or anywhere I
> can report bugs?

I have the same bug with a modern Logitech mouse, though unplugging it
from the USB-C hub and directly into my laptop fixes it.

Re: buggy MS intellimouse driver?

<uth7aj$26ema$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3503&group=alt.os.linux#3503

Followup: alt.comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
From: dchmelik@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:57:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:57 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:10:01 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:
> David Chmelik <dchmelik@gmail.com> wrote at 06:35 this Monday (GMT):
>> We use many GNU/Linux with MS Intellimouse (four-button) from late
>> 1990s Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 (mostly relatively new overstock) to
>> recent years so-called Classic Intellimouse. Since 2010s we've had
>> more & more problems with these and I wonder if the driver has
>> serious/critical bugs.
>>
>> We've used them (since 1997) on Slackware, Devuan, Kubuntu, Mint, KDE
>> Neon GNU/Linuxes and I also tested OpenSUSE, RedHat/clones (Rocky,
>> Fedora), Gentoo, Arch (SystemRescue) GNU/Linuxes.
>>
>> Daily on every single one, occasionally/regularly mouse moves
>> intermittently/'choppy' or even stops for maybe 10 to 30+secs or just
>> permanently until unplug & replug or restarting X or rebooting. It
>> happens with both Intellimouse Explorer & 'Classic'.
>>
>> My parents thought the problem might be mouse-pad, so they removed it
>> and used mouse on table, which didn't fix anything. We noticed
>> Intellimouse Classic doesn't seem to work much at all (unusable) on
>> standard/classic blue mouse-pads but works on a white one (better than
>> on a table that looks like woodgrain).
>>
>> I also use plain two-button USB MS mice mostly on servers I don't use
>> GUI much if at all, so don't know it's a general MS mouse problem but
>> their other mice have different drivers (when you install Slackware you
>> select from MS Intellimouse or other USB or PS/2 mice).
>>
>> We also briefly tested Wayland possibly with same problem, but don't
>> consider it 'production ready' for many reasons (nor do some/many
>> others).
>>
>> The 'choppy' Intellimouse problem has happened across at least six
>> different desktop PCs (and maybe some laptops) on every GNU/Linux they
>> have/had. I don't notice the problem on FreeBSD UNIX (which of course
>> originally is designed/standardized/engineered with a plan ahead of
>> time instead of 'make it up as you go along').
>>
>> Did anyone else have this happen and is there any solution or anywhere
>> I can report bugs?
>
> I have the same bug with a modern Logitech mouse, though unplugging it
> from the USB-C hub and directly into my laptop fixes it.

Apparently it's often caused by dirty mice... optical ones get dirty by
dust and other stuff getting in the hole underneath, which needs blowing
out.