Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers. -- Tom Lehrer

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

SubjectAuthor
* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gSpiros Bousbouras
+* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowMike Terry
|+- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowThe Doctor
|+- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,D
|+* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowAndrew
||+* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowcandycanearter07
|||`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now readRetro Guy
||| `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now readThe Doctor
||`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowThe Doctor
|| `* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowAndrew
||  +* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowcandycanearter07
||  |`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now readEric M
||  | +* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at Spiros Bousbouras
||  | |`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at Sn!pe
||  | | +* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowcandycanearter07
||  | | |+- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gFrank Slootweg
||  | | |`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gSn!pe
||  | | | `* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowcandycanearter07
||  | | |  `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowThe Doctor
||  | | +- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now readEric M
||  | | `* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran areDavid Ritz
||  | |  `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at Sn!pe
||  | `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now readThe Doctor
||  `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowThe Doctor
|`* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowScott Dorsey
| +- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,D
| +* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,D
| |+* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gSpiros Bousbouras
| ||`- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,D
| |`- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,The Doctor
| `* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gSpiros Bousbouras
|  +- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gSpiros Bousbouras
|  `- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gThe Doctor
+- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at gThe Doctor
+* apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowcandycanearter07
|`- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowThe Doctor
`- apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are nowJakob Bohm

Pages:12
Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<uhurqe$10o8$19@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3559&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3559

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now
read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:51:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:51 UTC

In article <uhtp8c$3nhoa$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <uht2te$3me4m$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
>> Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:

>>> What I'm hoping is that this is just a temporary measure while they work
>>> something else out. Various admins needed several days - including
>>> false starts - to develop working solutions, Google will have QA
>>> measures in place so they won't be able to move that quickly.
>>
>> Google should be tossing abusers off!
>>

>If the tossers toss the abusers off, the abusive spammer tossers just
>return with new email addresses (and they don't even need to be gmail)
>and start tossing their spam around again.
>I can't remember, does gmail get checked for spam on their servers? If
>it does then they are 80% of the way there.

Now if they can get 100% there!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<uhurr6$10o8$20@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3560

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read
only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:51:50 -0000 (UTC)

In article <f28f15e35c379d9f68754b80276cad66@news.novabbs.org>,
Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:
>candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> What I'm hoping is that this is just a temporary measure while they work
>>> something else out.  Various admins needed several days - including
>>> false starts - to develop working solutions, Google will have QA
>>> measures in place so they won't be able to move that quickly.
>
>> A man can dream. I'm betting this is a permanent "solution".
>
>I don't know if it is permanent, but it is lazy. If Ray, Adam, I and others
>can filter spam, I would think Google could do it.

If they are bright enough.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<uhursn$10o8$21@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3561

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:52:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:52 UTC

In article <-DYV2fOXO6q4DgsT2w0RF1F0FHU@jntp>,
Eric M <conanospamic@gmail.com> wrote:
>Le 01/11/2023 à 16:53, candycanearter07 a écrit :
>
>> On 11/1/23 10:01, Andrew wrote:
>
>>> If the tossers toss the abusers off, the abusive spammer tossers just
>>> return with new email addresses (and they don't even need to be gmail)
>>> and start tossing their spam around again.
>>> I can't remember, does gmail get checked for spam on their servers?  If
>>> it does then they are 80% of the way there.
>
>> There is a spam folder. It's effectiveness is something I'm not sure of.
>
>Gmail filters a lot of spam, sometimes there is a false positive but it's
>rare. Apparently they don't want to use that on Google Groups.

So much for AI a la Google!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<a487bbd40f4a932a3a13293ff0c2a554@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3562

From: J@M (D)
Subject: Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++,
and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 02:14:29 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 01:14 UTC

On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>Mike Terry <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>>What will Google do assuming the spammers just move on to another group? They wouldn't want to make
>>ALL their groups read only, and it can't be hard for the spammers to identify new target groups that
>>haven't been locked down yet?
>
>That's basically the question.
>And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
>--scott

p.s. has googlegroups ever been known to reinstate/reactivate posting
from a problematic group after they've locked down that group or
is it permanent? e.g., heavily googlespammed "alt.comp.freeware"
has gone over thirty (30) hours without a peep from headquarters;
perhaps they're simply reloading for the next barrage of possibly
heavier attacks than ever before (August logged 8218 googlespams),
or might it be that alt.comp.freeware has been put into lockdown?

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<uhuuvo$1pbr3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3563

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
read only at google groups
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 20:45:28 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 01:45 UTC

On 11/1/23 13:59, Sn!pe wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>>>

>>> I think Gmail uses a different mechanism: every time a Gmail user marks
>>> a junkmail as spam Google is aware of it and moves the spam to the
>>> user's junk mailbox. That mechanism is not available to them for News
>>> because News users do not feed back real-time spam reports to them.
>>>
>>> That is not intended to be an apologia for Google's negligent pollution
>>> of Usenet, only stating a view.
>>>

>> You could still have a "mark as spam" button and have them update the
>> filters and such. Maybe even have a local newsgroup for dealing with
>> spam (google-groups.spam or something).
>>

> But, but, the author of my Newsreader has retired; who will program a
> so there ~is no~ 'feedback to Google' mechanism.
>
> It isn't as though Google have anything to do with Usenet anyway;
> they've simply usurped the Usenet group namespace for their ersatz
> "Google Groups" mailing list setup.

Maybe back in the day they did care about Usenet more?

also side note i love the word ersatz and wish ppl used it more last
time ive heard it was like in ASOUE.

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<wUKu2AdLDw3rFasb9@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3565

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 02:14:29 +0100 (CET)
D <J@M> wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> >Mike Terry <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
> >>What will Google do assuming the spammers just move on to another group? They wouldn't want to make
> >>ALL their groups read only, and it can't be hard for the spammers to identify new target groups that
> >>haven't been locked down yet?
> >
> >That's basically the question.
> >And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
> >--scott
>
> p.s. has googlegroups ever been known to reinstate/reactivate posting
> from a problematic group after they've locked down that group or
> is it permanent?

Years ago they made unavailable comp.lang.c
[

From: RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: comp.lang.c banned from Google interface - hooray
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 22:59:14 -0000 (UTC)

[...]

Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26126455
]

and some other groups but they reinstated them later. On the other hand ,
I have been told (<BGlHbeAV7eBlFAX9@perry.uk>) that uk.railway has
been removed completely.

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<yiKHtwW1i0xJoqJOm@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3566

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:20:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:20 UTC

On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.

Same for sci.lang.japan .

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<SSpbbbMmlXLrw5uxy@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3567

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 10:29:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 10:29 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:20:26 -0000 (UTC)
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
>
> Same for sci.lang.japan .

Even worse for comp.theory .

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<ui027u$160$18@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3569&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3569

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:47:10 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:47 UTC

In article <a487bbd40f4a932a3a13293ff0c2a554@dizum.com>, D <J@M> wrote:
>On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>Mike Terry <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>>>What will Google do assuming the spammers just move on to another
>group? They wouldn't want to make
>>>ALL their groups read only, and it can't be hard for the spammers to
>identify new target groups that
>>>haven't been locked down yet?
>>
>>That's basically the question.
>>And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
>>--scott
>
>p.s. has googlegroups ever been known to reinstate/reactivate posting
> from a problematic group after they've locked down that group or
> is it permanent? e.g., heavily googlespammed "alt.comp.freeware"
> has gone over thirty (30) hours without a peep from headquarters;
> perhaps they're simply reloading for the next barrage of possibly
> heavier attacks than ever before (August logged 8218 googlespams),
> or might it be that alt.comp.freeware has been put into lockdown?

GG is spamtroller haven!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<ui028m$160$19@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3570&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3570

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:47:34 -0000 (UTC)

In article <uhuuvo$1pbr3$3@dont-email.me>,
candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>On 11/1/23 13:59, Sn!pe wrote:
>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>>

>>> You could still have a "mark as spam" button and have them update the
>>> filters and such. Maybe even have a local newsgroup for dealing with
>>> spam (google-groups.spam or something).
>>>

>> But, but, the author of my Newsreader has retired; who will program a
>> so there ~is no~ 'feedback to Google' mechanism.
>>
>> It isn't as though Google have anything to do with Usenet anyway;
>> they've simply usurped the Usenet group namespace for their ersatz
>> "Google Groups" mailing list setup.
>>

>Maybe back in the day they did care about Usenet more?
>
>also side note i love the word ersatz and wish ppl used it more last
>time ive heard it was like in ASOUE.

Take back Usenet!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<ui02ag$160$20@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3571&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3571

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:48:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:48 UTC

In article <yiKHtwW1i0xJoqJOm@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 1 Nov 2023 21:51:38 -0000
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
>
>Same for sci.lang.japan .

Scumbaggers!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: apparently comp.arch, comp.lang.c++, and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups

<e87ad43eb72f424af2c909f8332c5454@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3572&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3572

From: J@M (D)
and com.lang.fortran are now read only at google groups
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 13:38:18 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 12:38 UTC

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:14:09 -0000 (UTC), Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 02:14:29 +0100 (CET) D <J@M> wrote:
>> >That's basically the question.
>> >And comp.os.vms is totally inundated now.
>> >--scott
>> p.s. has googlegroups ever been known to reinstate/reactivate posting
>> from a problematic group after they've locked down that group or
>> is it permanent?
>
>Years ago they made unavailable comp.lang.c
> From: RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.misc
> Subject: comp.lang.c banned from Google interface - hooray
> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 22:59:14 -0000 (UTC)
> [...]
> Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26126455
>and some other groups but they reinstated them later. On the other hand ,
>I have been told (<BGlHbeAV7eBlFAX9@perry.uk>) that uk.railway has
>been removed completely.

(using Tor Browser 13.0.1)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26126455
>Comp.lang.c Google Group has been banned (groups.google.com)
>347 points by veltas on Feb 13, 2021 | hide | past | favorite | 189 comments
>zafiro17 on Feb 13, 2021 | prev | next [�]
>On behalf of Usenet users everywhere, this is excellent news, and I wouldn't
>be surprised if Usenetters begin stuffing other useful newsgroups with crap
>in order to removed from Google as well.
>Google's assimilation of Usenet content had promise at first but quickly
>turned into a dystopia and the general consensus on Usenet is that Google
>has been a disaster for Usenet.
>_kst_ on Feb 13, 2021 | parent | next [�]
>Google had the most complete archive of comp.lang.c (and the rest of Usenet).
>That archive is now inaccessible.
>Users posting to comp.lang.c through Google Groups were a problem --
>especially with the recent bug that caused GG posts to comp.lang.c++ to have
>the "++" quietly dropped.
>If Google made its archive of all Usenet newsgroups available, I'd be fine
>with them dropping the posting interface. (And some users actually managed
>to post to comp.lang.c through Google Groups without breaking things.)
[end quoted excerpt . . . lots of interesting reading on that longer page]

so the sudden halt of googlespams in any newsgroup could be only temporary
or lasting, depending on whether the google groups interface to that group
is made read-only or removed...like a virus that is quarantined or deleted