From: ThatWouldBeTelling@thevillage.com (EricP)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Google Groups ending Usenet access
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:34:59 -0500
 by: EricP - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:34 UTC

John Dallman wrote:
> "Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups
> (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe
> to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to
> view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February
> 22, 2024 on Google Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server
> and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google
> will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content
> with other NNTP servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the
> current Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not
> be affected."
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>
> John

The Google-sourced flood is continuing on other groups such
as comp.os.vms which was an active group until this happened.
You can see the occasional plea for help mixed in amongst
the sea of spam.

Re: Google Groups ending Usenet access

<oNZeN.1833$Wbff.1218@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=35760&group=comp.arch#35760

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:55:16 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 14:55 UTC

EricP <ThatWouldBeTelling@thevillage.com> writes:
>John Dallman wrote:
>> "Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups
>> (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe
>> to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to
>> view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February
>> 22, 2024 on Google Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google�s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server
>> and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google
>> will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content
>> with other NNTP servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the
>> current Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not
>> be affected."
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>>
>> John
>
>The Google-sourced flood is continuing on other groups such
>as comp.os.vms which was an active group until this happened.
>You can see the occasional plea for help mixed in amongst
>the sea of spam.

The referenced article indicates that google will terminate
peering in february 2024.

The downside is that the archive that they purchased when acquiring
DejaNews will not be updated as of that date, as they won't accept
articles from NNTP peers after that.