"We came. We saw. We kicked its ass." -- Bill Murray, _Ghostbusters_

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7

SubjectAuthor
* Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7carson
+* Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7carson
|`- Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7Paul
`- Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7DK

1
Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7

<aeo9eh1lvehl3upae9gmi0m60k0rit9gg9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3594

From: carson@invalidated.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:47:46 -0500
 by: carson@invalidated.com - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:47 UTC

My wife has a Lenovo laptop which is about 15 years old.

Lenovo's Repair cannot solve the problem.

The Acronis backup is no good because the laptop cannot reach Windows
to do anything. Only Lenovo's Repair comes on at boot. It cannot
solve the problem after running for about five minutes or so.

Does this sound like some computer repair outfit will be able to
somehow reach the original Windows install?

My wife did not receive a Windows 7 install disk with the machine when
purchased new.

I see the current price of Windows 7 installs are almost $400.

With all the choices of ISO, USB installs, product keys, etc., etc., I
don't have a clue what to do. If the repair shop cannot get to the
original installation, I ain't paying $400 bucks for an old OS.

I'd most likely buy a used computer with Windows 7 on it. My wife
likes Win 7. I, personally, wouldn't touch the MS spyware10 or 11.

I'm wondering what the chances are of somebody reaching the original
OS.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7

<nho9eh50tk9547vvhug0kdrqmqa20d143s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3595&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3595

From: carson@invalidated.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:48:40 -0500
 by: carson@invalidated.com - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:48 UTC

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:47:46 -0500, carson@invalidated.com wrote:

>My wife has a Lenovo laptop which is about 15 years old.

Sorry, wrong group.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7

<tc33op$3r8fa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3596

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:13:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:13 UTC

On 7/30/2022 3:48 AM, carson@invalidated.com wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:47:46 -0500, carson@invalidated.com wrote:
>
>> My wife has a Lenovo laptop which is about 15 years old.
>>

> Sorry, wrong group.

So the disk is worn out, and you never made a *full* backup ?

You need such backups, any time you lose a HDD, and need
to spin up a new HDD in its place.

I would slave up the HDD out of the laptop, to your
technician machine, and have a look at what partitions
are there and so on.

It probably has an MBR if the repair is coming up.
I don't think the entire disk is toast. But I
also don't feel you're out of the woods either.

Discovery is the next step.

Paul

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Won't Boot Into Windows 7

<tc4mhs$3rmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3597&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3597

From: dk@no.email.thankstospam.net (DK)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 01:40:24 GMT
 by: DK - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 01:40 UTC

In article <aeo9eh1lvehl3upae9gmi0m60k0rit9gg9@4ax.com>, carson@invalidated.com wrote:

>The Acronis backup is no good because the laptop cannot reach Windows
>to do anything.

If you ever made a full disk backup with Acronis, you should be able to run
Acronis Rescue disk off CD or thumb drive (it typically just loads minimal
Linux to work or there are options to run Anronis Windows under WinPE
environment).

This should get your system back *provided* that your disk is still physically
healthy.

DK