Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: Authorising Installation

SubjectAuthor
* Authorising InstallationJeff Gaines
`* Re: Authorising InstallationJoerg Walther
 +* Re: Authorising InstallationJeff Gaines
 |+- Re: Authorising InstallationJoerg Walther
 |`- Re: Authorising InstallationPaul
 `- Re: Authorising InstallationJ.O. Aho

1
Authorising Installation

<xn0okbq83yreh9001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3704&group=alt.os.linux#3704

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Authorising Installation
Date: 8 Apr 2024 08:44:11 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:44 UTC

I installed HandBrake and HandBrake Video Converter on my new Linux
installation.

HandBrake was a "System" install and asked for authorisation once. The
Video Converter had a heap of dependencies and was a Flatpak install -
which asked for separate authorisation for each library and each change of
depository!

Is that a feature of Flatpak? Should it be avoided?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Authorising Installation

<fof71jdl8s3ktih0rro9t760citpfc0s3m@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3705&group=alt.os.linux#3705

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Authorising Installation
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 12:03:01 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:03 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

>I installed HandBrake and HandBrake Video Converter on my new Linux
>installation.

I am confused, you mention two installs, but there is just one
HandBrake.

>HandBrake was a "System" install and asked for authorisation once. The
>Video Converter had a heap of dependencies and was a Flatpak install -
>which asked for separate authorisation for each library and each change of
>depository!

Your information is quite contradictory. A Flatpak is a program install
which includes the main program and all dependencies in one big packet
which runs in its own kind of sandbox. You have to authorise this only
once. It sounds like you also installed a second version of handbrake,
not a Flatpak, which of course, being a video converter, comes with all
kinds of dependencies, which you authorised.

>Is that a feature of Flatpak? Should it be avoided?

That is up to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak

-jw-

Re: Authorising Installation

<xn0okbsmz11yvjc003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3706&group=alt.os.linux#3706

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 8 Apr 2024 10:13:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:13 UTC

On 08/04/2024 in message
<fof71jdl8s3ktih0rro9t760citpfc0s3m@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de> Joerg Walther
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>I installed HandBrake and HandBrake Video Converter on my new Linux
>>installation.
>
>I am confused, you mention two installs, but there is just one
>HandBrake.
>
>>HandBrake was a "System" install and asked for authorisation once. The
>>Video Converter had a heap of dependencies and was a Flatpak install -
>>which asked for separate authorisation for each library and each change of
>>depository!
>
>Your information is quite contradictory. A Flatpak is a program install
>which includes the main program and all dependencies in one big packet
>which runs in its own kind of sandbox. You have to authorise this only
>once. It sounds like you also installed a second version of handbrake,
>not a Flatpak, which of course, being a video converter, comes with all
>kinds of dependencies, which you authorised.
>
>>Is that a feature of Flatpak? Should it be avoided?
>
>That is up to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak
>
>-jw-

The second program is called "HandBrake Transcoder" which says it can
convert between different formats and was only available as a Flatpak. I
installed HandBrake first then the transcoder once HandBrake install was
complete so all the authorisations definitely arose from the Transcoder
install.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Authorising Installation

<33l71jhu4olvv9sp12r20iq07fo4alp8sg@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3707&group=alt.os.linux#3707

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:27:19 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:27 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

>The second program is called "HandBrake Transcoder" which says it can
>convert between different formats and was only available as a Flatpak. I
>installed HandBrake first then the transcoder once HandBrake install was
>complete so all the authorisations definitely arose from the Transcoder
>install.

Most likely it's the same thing, once as a Flapak, once as a normal
package.

-jw-

Re: Authorising Installation

<l7ige7F5fqpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3709&group=alt.os.linux#3709

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:22:47 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:22 UTC

On 08/04/2024 12.03, Joerg Walther wrote:

> Your information is quite contradictory. A Flatpak is a program install
> which includes the main program and all dependencies in one big packet
> which runs in its own kind of sandbox.

Not always true, can be for applications with a small dependency tree,
but just think of all the things GIMP and GPaint are depending on, it
would be quite big packages and you would need to download loads even if
the two programs share a lot of same dependencies. The maintainer has
also to keep track of vulnerabilities and bugs in all the dependencies
they need. so they tend to have dependencies to other flatpaks like
mesa, xorg and so on, to lessen the work they need to do. So a flatpak
you see listed and install may pull in a number of other flatpaks.

https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2018/09/07/on-flatpak-dependencies/

--
//Aho

Re: Authorising Installation

<uv1l5r$3nh5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3711&group=alt.os.linux#3711

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:47:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:47 UTC

On 4/8/2024 6:13 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 08/04/2024 in message <fof71jdl8s3ktih0rro9t760citpfc0s3m@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de> Joerg Walther wrote:
>
>> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> I installed HandBrake and HandBrake Video Converter on my new Linux
>>> installation.
>>
>> I am confused, you mention two installs, but there is just one
>> HandBrake.
>>
>>> HandBrake was a "System" install and asked for authorisation once. The
>>> Video Converter had a heap of dependencies and was a Flatpak install -
>>> which asked for separate authorisation for each library and each change of
>>> depository!
>>
>> Your information is quite contradictory. A Flatpak is a program install
>> which includes the main program and all dependencies in one big packet
>> which runs in its own kind of sandbox. You have to authorise this only
>> once. It sounds like you also installed a second version of handbrake,
>> not a Flatpak, which of course, being a video converter, comes with all
>> kinds of dependencies, which you authorised.
>>
>>> Is that a feature of Flatpak? Should it be avoided?
>>
>> That is up to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatpak
>>
>> -jw-
>
> The second program is called "HandBrake Transcoder" which says it can convert between different formats and was only available as a Flatpak. I installed HandBrake first then the transcoder once HandBrake install was complete so all the authorisations definitely arose from the Transcoder install.

Are you executing a command to invoke flatpaks specifically ?

If you're using "sudo synaptic", the handbrake in there is
a pair of .deb, one is "handbrake" and one is "handbrake-cli"
for command line invocation.

Synaptic on Ubuntu has Debian .deb installs and it can
invoke "snap install something" as a second means of
achieving a result. If you want flatpak or appimage,
then those steps can probably be managed, but there
would be a different recipe/ceremony for that and
at least partially outside the confines of the tree.

Programs use libraries, and the libraries need to be
installed if they are not currently resident.

If you have a web page for the recipe/ceremony you
carried out, post the URL for comment.

Paul