From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: What is org.freedesktop.platform?
Date: 13 Apr 2024 10:56:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:56 UTC

Installing updates on my new Mint-xfce system and it keeps wanting to add
items from org.freedesktop.platform which seems to be associated with
Flatpak.

This may arise from my installing HandBrake (system version) and HandBrake
(Flatpak version) because I thought they were different programs.

Does xfce need all of this org.freedesktop.platform stuff? As seems to be
normal with Flatpak it wants me to authorise each app individually which
is wearing my wrists out.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: What is org.freedesktop.platform?

<uvepql$36bj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3716&group=alt.os.linux#3716

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: What is org.freedesktop.platform?
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:27:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:27 UTC

On 4/13/2024 6:56 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Installing updates on my new Mint-xfce system and it keeps wanting to add items from org.freedesktop.platform which seems to be associated with Flatpak.
>
> This may arise from my installing HandBrake (system version) and HandBrake (Flatpak version) because I thought they were different programs.
>
> Does xfce need all of this org.freedesktop.platform stuff? As seems to be normal with Flatpak it wants me to authorise each app individually which is wearing my wrists out.

It looks like some sort of helper routines.

https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/available-runtimes.html

This is all part of mixing different packaging schemes
in the same tree. It might involve "work" :-) When you
do these things, you are "signing on for the maintenance".

That's why you normally test in a burner install, to get
the practical experience, then decide whether this
is potential daily driver material.

*******

Now, people should not have to know about this map, but this map
is filled with little villages. There are strange people in some
of the villages, who like to build from source. Other villages,
have package manager programs you would not want to touch with
a barge pole.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

And there are also villages with automation, electricity and hot running water.

Your job is to select carefully, where you will live, and
what aspect interests you.

Paul

Re: What is org.freedesktop.platform?

<xn0okjbkc4tukvc008@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3717&group=alt.os.linux#3717

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: 13 Apr 2024 21:42:27 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:42 UTC

On 13/04/2024 in message <uvepql$36bj7$1@dont-email.me> Paul wrote:

>On 4/13/2024 6:56 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>Installing updates on my new Mint-xfce system and it keeps wanting to add
>>items from org.freedesktop.platform which seems to be associated with
>>Flatpak.
>>
>>This may arise from my installing HandBrake (system version) and HandBrake
>>(Flatpak version) because I thought they were different programs.
>>
>>Does xfce need all of this org.freedesktop.platform stuff? As seems to be
>>normal with Flatpak it wants me to authorise each app individually which
>>is wearing my wrists out.
>>

>It looks like some sort of helper routines.
>
>https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/available-runtimes.html
>
>This is all part of mixing different packaging schemes
>in the same tree. It might involve "work" :-) When you
>do these things, you are "signing on for the maintenance".
>
>That's why you normally test in a burner install, to get
>the practical experience, then decide whether this
>is potential daily driver material.
>
>*******
>
>Now, people should not have to know about this map, but this map
>is filled with little villages. There are strange people in some
>of the villages, who like to build from source. Other villages,
>have package manager programs you would not want to touch with
>a barge pole.
>
>https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg
>
>And there are also villages with automation, electricity and hot running
>water.
>
>Your job is to select carefully, where you will live, and
>what aspect interests you.
>
> Paul

Thank you, that sounds very much like what I am doing at the moment :-)

I have re-installed Mint-xfce, I may eventually get a badge for installing
it! I will stick to only installing programs that have a "system" option,
if there's something I need that is Flatpak only I will shout for help!!!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who