From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:15:11 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:15 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700, Adam wrote:

> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>
> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)

Linux is in the real world. No Apple device works in the real world.
In fact, Apple _hates_ their devices working in the real world.

Linux isn't supported.
It doesn't exist (to Apple).

Which is to say that Apple devices are designed ONLY for the walled garden.

When you're logged into Apple servers every moment of your life.
Apple devices, as a result, are nothing more than dumb terminals.

However, you can certainly do whatever you want to do.
If you're clever.
And with a little knowledge...

All of which has been posted before to this ng so it's in the archives.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

Check these out first, and if you have questions, ask me.

Bear in mind you can always use ShareDrop (which isn't described below
as ShareDrop came after all those tutorials were written).
<https://www.sharedrop.io/>

I've done it all, but I haven't bothered in years as my newest iPad is only
used for Google Voice nowadays - as iOS doesn't do anything Android doesn't
already do (but iOS runs GV BETTER than Android does - so it's useful).

How to copy files both ways anywhere you want to/from iPhone/iPad over USB between Windows & iOS using Linux
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/qmkDxzo4bN0/>

Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back & forth over USB at 2GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/CsU9N7FfJHk/>

How to transfer iPad photos/videos to/from Linux/Windows over Wi-Fi LAN
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/YtpKpDhWm_s/>

How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/g-js5R9lrdE/>

How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c/>

And to show how crappy Apple developers are, even Windows is a bitch
(it seems Apple hires only high school kids to do all their coding).

How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5hE4byjF930/>

Has anyone here already run a Linux iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5kbR0vzF9xE/>

Why doesn't Apple just let you manage your iOS file system natively on the PC?
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/WjeGznahZwc/>

The only place anything works with Apple is inside the walled garden.
--
Note that's more useful information that all the Apple nutjobs combined
have posted in their entire lives (as none of them know anything at all).

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usn7sg$3mai3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3753&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3753

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux
via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:27:12 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:27 UTC

On 2024-03-10 18:15, Sten deJoode wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:47:26 -0700, Adam wrote:
>
>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>> https://i.postimg.cc/QdM0WF6H/i-Pad-Files-US-Citizenship-Naturalization-Questions.png
>>
>> But, I can't seem to find the files from the iPad. Sorry, I'm an iPad
>> newbie doing this for my neighbor, who is studying to become a US
>> citizen. On top of that, the iOS is in a foreign language. :-)
>
> Linux is in the real world. No Apple device works in the real world.
> In fact, Apple _hates_ their devices working in the real world.

I hate to break it to you, Arlen...

....but real people use real Apple devices...

....to do real work...

....in the real world.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usndrb$3nnfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3754

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:08:59 -0700
 by: Adam - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:08 UTC

On 03/10/2024 06:15 PM, Sten deJoode wrote:
> [...]
>
> How to read/write access iOS file systems on Ubuntu/Windows over USB cable
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/IFC52JXBQ1c/>
>
> And to show how crappy Apple developers are, even Windows is a bitch
> (it seems Apple hires only high school kids to do all their coding).
>
> How to easily archive your iOS device and/or how to use your iOS device as a free USB stick (read & write)?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5hE4byjF930/>
>
> Has anyone here already run a Linux iFuse (libimobiledevice) port on Windows?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/5kbR0vzF9xE/>
>
> Why doesn't Apple just let you manage your iOS file system natively on the PC?
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/WjeGznahZwc/>
>
> The only place anything works with Apple is inside the walled garden.

Thanks, before posting here, I searched and found the following...

How can I access afc:// iOS files from the Ubuntu terminal?
https://superuser.com/questions/1548122/how-can-i-access-afc-ios-files-from-the-ubuntu-terminal

mint@mint:~$ idevicepair pair
SUCCESS: Paired with device 12372579df8d3ba74b44b47daaabea5f7775a86b
mint@mint:~$ usbmuxd -f -v
[01:13:47.747][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[01:13:47.747][0] Could not open lockfile // will "sudo" fix this
mint@mint:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/iPad
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/iPad’: File exists
mint@mint:~$ sudo su // "sudo ifuse" ?!?!?
root@mint:/home/mint# ifuse /mnt/iPad
There was an error accessing the mount point: Input/output error
root@mint:/home/mint# exit
exit
mint@mint:~$ sudo usbmuxd -f -v
[04:19:45.978][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
[04:19:45.978][1] Another instance is already running (pid 3671). exiting.
mint@mint:~$

Not sure about usage of "sudo su". How about using "sudo" with
"usbmuxd" and "ifuse" ?

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<uso16o$392pd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3757&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3757

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:39:20 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:08:59 -0700, Adam wrote:

> [...]
>
> mint@mint:~$ idevicepair pair
> SUCCESS: Paired with device 12372579df8d3ba74b44b47daaabea5f7775a86b
> mint@mint:~$ usbmuxd -f -v
> [01:13:47.747][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
> [01:13:47.747][0] Could not open lockfile // will "sudo" fix this
> mint@mint:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/iPad
> mkdir: cannot create directory �/mnt/iPad�: File exists
> mint@mint:~$ sudo su // "sudo ifuse" ?!?!?
> root@mint:/home/mint# ifuse /mnt/iPad
> There was an error accessing the mount point: Input/output error
> root@mint:/home/mint# exit
> exit
> mint@mint:~$ sudo usbmuxd -f -v
> [04:19:45.978][3] usbmuxd v1.1.1 starting up
> [04:19:45.978][1] Another instance is already running (pid 3671). exiting.
> mint@mint:~$
>
> Not sure about usage of "sudo su". How about using "sudo" with

I have done what you want to do, and yet it's highly probable nobody on
this list has done it except me, so it's almost 100% chance none of them
know anything about it (plus most of them are Apple religious nut cases,
who are literally morons).

BTW, the reason I've done it is because I'm not stupid.
Most of the people on this list are stupid.

You can tell by the idiotic answers that they give you, none of which work
since all they know is the walled garden and Apple marketing
advertisements. They can't think outside the walled garden.

Anyway, the problem I have helping you is I haven't done it in years, but I
documented every step of the way, so take a look at the references I gave
you which were written at the time that I did it).

Bearing in mind NONE OF THIS IS DOCUMENTED anywhere, the key is this error:
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg>

Notice that until you know a trick, you can't WRITE to anywhere on the iOS
filesystem that you want to write to - so you get this error.
Error while creating directory x.
There was an error creating the directory in
gphoto2://%5Busb%3A001,003%5D/DCIM/101Apple.

I hesitate to give you the secret because Apple, once they know of
something that works outside the walled garden with their products, they
shut it down (like they did with Sharepod working without iTunes and
without needing an Apple ID and being able to move any file you want).
<https://i.postimg.cc/MT0CxMbZ/ipod007.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/rsj2G0KZ/ipod006.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/7hwyTMYT/ipod005.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/25LmpSK3/ipod004.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZF4RR17/ipod003.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/hPMKTwm4/ipod002.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/jdRsWKLk/ipod001.jpg>

Given Apple coders are so anti consumer they break everything
that works, you'll need to look at the next photo in the set.
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios000.jpg> Ubuntu before iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios010.jpg> Trust This Computer?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios020.jpg> Allow device access?
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios030.jpg> iOS mounts on Ubuntu
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios040.jpg> View iOS filesystem
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios050.jpg> Including DCIM folder
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios060.jpg> For both read & write
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios070.jpg> If you know a trick
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios080.jpg> This is the trick!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios090.jpg> Which nobody knows!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios100.jpg> iFuse is Ubuntu native
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios110.jpg> iFuse mounts Windows
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios120.jpg> iFuse mounts iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios130.jpg> iFuse mounts all!
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios140.jpg> read and write iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios150.jpg> Copy Win10 to iOS
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios160.jpg> Any file you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios170.jpg> Anywhere you want
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=18_ios180.jpg> Read & write all!

See the trick above. I don't want to spell it out lest Apple break it.
When you get the full read/write to/from the entire iOS
file system over USB without any special tools or hardware,
let us know you're successful.

But don't say how you did it as Apple will break it.
They don't want their devices working in the real world.