From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:12:07 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:12 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:35:16 -0700, Adam wrote:

> Thanks, good to know. I knew there was some iOS file system rules I was
> missing. So simple yet so hard to find when you need to know. But, these
> types of file system rules are really arbitrary and senseless.
> Come on, Apple !!

That Apple nut job named "Your Name" is dead wrong.
All the nutcases know nothing about how iOS works in the real world.

What you need is the Linux command listed below in my images.
It turns the iPad into a USB stick.

None of the Apple nut cases you're talking to will know any of this.
(They refuse to believe that Apple doesn't work in the real world.)

None of those Apple nut jobs, Your Name included, have any clue how to
interface an Apple device into the real world. The reason is simple.
a. They only know what works inside the walled garden
b. Hence, they never interfaced anything with the real world
c. They only know what Apple has fed them

Since Apple doesn't support the real world, Apple hasn't told them anything
about the real world.

> Also, just invested in a Plug-n-Play USB adapter for iPad. This should
> make it easier for my neighbor.

If you know what I know (see below for the extremely important command that
almost nobody knows which took me many many many hours to find but only
takes you one second to run) which turns the iPad into a USB drive.

No need for ANY software or hardware.
You just have to know the command.

None of the Apple nut jobs will know anything about the real world.

> But, the "archaic" DCIM file system rule
> is really an embarrassment for a pioneer company like Apple.
> It may have been fine when it was hidden back then but it is now
> sticking out like a sore thumb.
> Come on, Apple !!

Years ago, when I got my first iPad, I was dual booting to Ubuntu daily (in
the early Canonical Unity days) and I came to this very ng asking for help.

The Apple responders were all assholes (such as nospam, Jolly Roger, Alan
Baker, etc.) because they _hated_ that iOS ignores Linux interoperability.

At that time, what happened was one version of iOS worked with iFuse.
The next didn't. Apple broke something. I could look up what it was,
but it doesn't matter. The answer from the religious nut cases was
Linux interoperability was "not needed" and "not wanted", which is the
answer these Apple nut cases give to everything that every other operating
system except iOS easily does. (For example, iOS barely works with Windows,
and yet Ubuntu dual-boot works perfectly with Windows - simultaneously, on
the Windows file system - even when Windows isn't even booted).

In those days, long ago, there was David Empson who was the only Apple
responder on this newsgroup who knew anything about Apple products.

The rest (Alan Browne, Haemactylus, Your Name, etc.) masturbate to Apple
advertisements, but they don't actually understand anything about iOS.

I don't know much about iOS either, as it's a piece of shit operating
system; but I test it out empirically (less now than ever before since it's
so limited of an operating system, all it does is Google Voice without
creating a Google Account on the device - which I use instead of Google
Voice on Android - which does create a Google Account on the device).

It's been a few years since I interfaced iOS to Ubuntu, but it is true that
you have to stick things in places that Apple will let you stick them.

Looking at my old images, see if any of these images I took long ago will
help you get past the walled garden that the Apple nut jobs refuse to
believe exists (they're all like Trumpists who believe what they're told).

They think the only world that exists is inside the walled garden.
Hence, Apple can say that the real world (linux) isn't ever supported.

From my iFuse images folder... I did years ago what you are trying to do.
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2x0f9Js/files14.jpg> Simultaneous Linux, win & iOS
<https://i.postimg.cc/g269S8rT/files13.jpg> How does macOS work with iOS?
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVJf72fN/files12.jpg> iOS hacks very often will fail
<https://i.postimg.cc/cChf8mx1/files11.jpg> idiot iOS hacks just to copy
<https://i.postimg.cc/9MGdc2s7/files10.jpg> Android is 2-way fast over USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/mDx3xkp4/files09.jpg> iOS only DCIM & only 1-way
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xcCBngd/files08.jpg> iOS is just a dumb brick
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjK4nHwf/files07.jpg> Ubuntu is two-way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/Jhmy9KH7/files06.jpg> Ubuntu uses iFuse for magic
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqg61Rh8/files05.jpg> Ubuntu, movies _to_ iOS on USB
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMk7tvZW/files04.jpg> Ubuntu is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/d3SGkdgr/files03.jpg> Android is two way, everything
<https://i.postimg.cc/L8b18Zmx/files02.jpg> iOS "Files" is not useful
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFkXsJ0X/files01.jpg> iOS/Win is 1-way & DCIM only

Without that one command, the iOS device is just a dumb read-only brick.
BTW, I hope Apple didn't BLOCK that Linux command in later iOS releases!

Please go through my images, one by one, and try to reproduce as all you
need is iFuse installed on Ubuntu, plus a USB cable, plus an iPad.