Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others. -- Berry Kercheval

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / New Gmail spam filters

SubjectAuthor
* New Gmail spam filtersAndrew
+- New Gmail spam filtersD
+* New Gmail spam filtersJohn McCue
|`* New Gmail spam filtersSn!pe
| +- New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
| `* New Gmail spam filtersAdam W.
|  `- New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
+- New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
`* New Gmail spam filtersnoel
 +- New Gmail spam filtersD
 +* New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
 |`* New Gmail spam filtersSn!pe
 | +* New Gmail spam filterscandycanearter07
 | |`- New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
 | `- New Gmail spam filtersThe Doctor
 `- on Ausics NNTP authentication (Was: Re: New Gmail spam filters)Julieta Shem

1
New Gmail spam filters

<ukla62$utlu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3785&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3785

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: New Gmail spam filters
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:44 UTC

Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
filters could not.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/gmails-ai-powered-spam-detection-is-its-biggest-security-upgrade-in-years/

I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
and wonderful tool to Google Groups. It would probably be sufficient if
they just applied to fresh input rather than posts inserted via other
NNTP servers.
That would really simplify the work of NNTP admins, although "single
point of failure" springs to mind.

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<20231204.230746.aa381da0@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3786&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3786

From: noreply@mixmin.net (D)
Subject: Re: New Gmail spam filters
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:07:46 +0000
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:07 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100, Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
>being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
>interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
>filters could not.
>https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/gmails-ai-powered-spam-detection-is-its-biggest-security-upgrade-in-years/
>I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
>and wonderful tool to Google Groups. It would probably be sufficient if
>they just applied to fresh input rather than posts inserted via other
>NNTP servers.
>That would really simplify the work of NNTP admins, although "single
>point of failure" springs to mind.

the easiest solution would be for google to simply pull the plug on
their "google2news" gateway . . . a way to atone in the xmas spirit

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<ukln8c$3jqgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3787&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3787

From: jmccue@magnetar.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:27:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:27 UTC

Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
> Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection.
<snip>

> I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
> and wonderful tool to Google Groups.
<snip>

Zero to none, IMO I think google is trying to kill USENET
on purpose. Why, no telemetry and they cannot use it to
determine who to send adds to.

IIRC, there seems to be an up-tick in new USENET users.
Maybe by sending all that spam these new users will leave
because they do not know how to set a filter.

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<1ql8nbn.1aud9ot8h0ai7N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3788&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3788

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:55:44 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 23:55 UTC

John McCue <jmccue@magnetar.jmcunx.com> wrote:

> Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
> > Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection.
> <snip>
>
> > I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
> > and wonderful tool to Google Groups.
> <snip>
>
> Zero to none, IMO I think google is trying to kill USENET
> on purpose. Why, no telemetry and they cannot use it to
> determine who to send adds to.
>
> IIRC, there seems to be an up-tick in new USENET users.
> Maybe by sending all that spam these new users will leave
> because they do not know how to set a filter.

I suspect that is the case. I don't suppose that the TLAs would be
heartbroken if uncensorable Usenet died either.

It occurs to me that depeering Google Groups or (ideally) Google
closing their GG to/from Usenet gateway might be a two-edged sword.
If GG does become divorced from Usenet, Google can simply direct GG
posters to their own ersatz Google Groups and just pretend that Usenet
doesn't exist.

My personal opinion: Divorce Google Groups now; depeer them,
killfile them, whatever it takes.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<uklqse$1uj9$8@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3789&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3789

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:29:02 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:29 UTC

In article <ukla62$utlu$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
>being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
>interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
>filters could not.
>https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/12/gmails-ai-powered-spam-detection-is-its-biggest-security-upgrade-in-years/
>
>I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
>and wonderful tool to Google Groups. It would probably be sufficient if
>they just applied to fresh input rather than posts inserted via other
>NNTP servers.
>That would really simplify the work of NNTP admins, although "single
>point of failure" springs to mind.

Laughable!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<uklqtd$1uj9$9@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3790&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3790

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 00:29:33 -0000 (UTC)

In article <1ql8nbn.1aud9ot8h0ai7N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>,
Sn!pe <snipeco.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>John McCue <jmccue@magnetar.jmcunx.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>> > Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection.
>> <snip>
>>
>> > I wonder what the chances are of the company applying this awe-inspiring
>> > and wonderful tool to Google Groups.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Zero to none, IMO I think google is trying to kill USENET
>> on purpose. Why, no telemetry and they cannot use it to
>> determine who to send adds to.
>>
>> IIRC, there seems to be an up-tick in new USENET users.
>> Maybe by sending all that spam these new users will leave
>> because they do not know how to set a filter.
>>

>I suspect that is the case. I don't suppose that the TLAs would be
>heartbroken if uncensorable Usenet died either.
>
>It occurs to me that depeering Google Groups or (ideally) Google
>closing their GG to/from Usenet gateway might be a two-edged sword.
>If GG does become divorced from Usenet, Google can simply direct GG
>posters to their own ersatz Google Groups and just pretend that Usenet
>doesn't exist.
>
>My personal opinion: Divorce Google Groups now; depeer them,
>killfile them, whatever it takes.
>
>--
>^�^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
> My pet rock Gordon just said "Klaatu barada nikto."
>
> Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Depeer Google Groups now and be done with them!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<656e97bb$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3792&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3792

From: deletethis@invalid.lan (noel)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: 5 Dec 2023 13:23:39 +1000
 by: noel - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 03:23 UTC

On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
> being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
> interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
> filters could not.

Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.

pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<6cd0f0ff34580efc67082e15d92307dd@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3793&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3793

From: J@M (D)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 05:42:28 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 04:42 UTC

On 5 Dec 2023 13:23:39 +1000, noel <deletethis@invalid.lan> wrote:
>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:
>> Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
>> being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
>> interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
>> filters could not.
>
>Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.
>pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
>spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
>those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D

big plus ones... and this is way off-topic, but just for the record...

Roger Harry Daltrey was born to Harry John & Grace Irene Stone-Daltrey
at the four-storey Hammersmith Hospital(0W14:09,51N30:59)72 Du Cane Rd,
London "just before 2 AM" Wednesday 1 March 1944 1:55 AM DST(AA/HR/mem;
transit JD 2431150.5381); 15 Percy Rd(0W14:23,51N30:07).

John Alec Entwistle was born to Herbert & Queenie Maud Lee-Entwistle at the
four-storey Hammersmith Hospital(0W14:09,51N30:59)72 Du Cane Rd London, Mon-
day 9 October 1944 6 PM DST(AA/HR/mem); 81a Southfield Rd(0W15:37,51N30:09).

Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend was born to Clifford Blandford & Betty V. Dennis-
Townshend at the three-storey Chiswick Maternity Hospital(0W14:45,51N29:20)Nether-
avon Rd, Chiswick, London, England, Saturday 19 May 1945 3 PM BDST h2e(AA/HR/mem).

Keith John Moon was born to Alfred Charles & Kathleen Winifred Hopley-Moon
at Central Middlesex Hospital(0W16:03,51N31:52)Acton Ln, Park Royal London
England on Friday 23 August 1946(AA/BR).

a lot of great music, tommy album was my fav

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<ukmdn8$9lg$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3794&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3794

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 05:50:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 05:50 UTC

In article <656e97bb$1@news.ausics.net>, noel <deletethis@invalid.lan> wrote:
>On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
>> being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
>> interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
>> filters could not.
>

>Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.
>
>pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
>spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
>those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D

Many feel this way about GG.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<1ql9j5n.qsttum1avt749N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3795&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3795

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 11:14:51 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 11:14 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

> In article <656e97bb$1@news.ausics.net>, noel <deletethis@invalid.lan> wrote:
> >On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 20:44:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> >
> >> Gmail is moving to (or has moved to) AI-powered spam detection. This is
> >> being touted as a big deal but what it seems to be about is better
> >> interpretation of weird garbage which humans can read but their previous
> >> filters could not.
> >

> >Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.
> >
> >pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
> >spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
> >those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D
>
> Many feel this way about GG.

+1
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just said "Don't Be Evil!"

Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<ukn950$5afd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3797&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3797

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 07:38:37 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 13:38 UTC

On 12/5/23 05:14, Sn!pe wrote:
> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

>>> Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.
>>>
>>> pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
>>> spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
>>> those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D
>>
>> Many feel this way about GG.
>
> +1

+2

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<ukngj6$5st$2$arnold@news.chmurka.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3798&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3798

From: gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid (Adam W.)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:45:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vCtIj/tyWpGbiK3dk/+UzjK7qbc= sha256:NX6WcX7EB8h3uvCLJcQ6h6eHmgrp79Tidpz2rPPuFLw=
sha1:KfZuCgNsXzBSpu4DV0K+FeTi1RE= sha256:MST6bm+oI/Jfpwa3EXFq+Y6E9x5D4rT2Wusk/IXW0h8=
 by: Adam W. - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:45 UTC

Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

> or (ideally) Google closing their GG to/from Usenet gateway

They will do it. Sooner or later, but eventually they will kill this
gateway.

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<uknh4t$2brf$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3799&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3799

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:55:10 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:55 UTC

In article <1ql9j5n.qsttum1avt749N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>,
Sn!pe <snipeco.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

>> >Hows that "Who" song go, meet the new boss , *same as the old* boss.
>> >
>> >pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
>> >spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
>> >those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D
>>
>> Many feel this way about GG.
>
>+1
>--
>^�^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
> My pet rock Gordon just said "Don't Be Evil!"
>
> Google Groups articles not seen here unless poster is whitelisted.

Inn is a powerful tool!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<uknh5a$2brf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3800&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3800

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:55:22 -0000 (UTC)

In article <ukn950$5afd$2@dont-email.me>,
candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>On 12/5/23 05:14, Sn!pe wrote:
>> The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

>>> Many feel this way about GG.
>>
>> +1
>
>+2

+3

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: New Gmail spam filters

<uknh5t$2brf$4@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3801&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3801

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 15:55:41 -0000 (UTC)

In article <ukngj6$5st$2$arnold@news.chmurka.net>,
Adam W. <gof-cut-this-news@cut-this-chmurka.net.invalid> wrote:
>Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> or (ideally) Google closing their GG to/from Usenet gateway
>
>They will do it. Sooner or later, but eventually they will kill this
>gateway.

If they know how!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

on Ausics NNTP authentication (Was: Re: New Gmail spam filters)

<87fs0gr08m.fsf_-_@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3802&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#3802

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: on Ausics NNTP authentication (Was: Re: New Gmail spam filters)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 15:08:09 -0300
sha1:4G5A1opeFXHIVwb+ld2GXHv8o14=
 by: Julieta Shem - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 18:08 UTC

noel <deletethis@invalid.lan> writes:

[...]

> pretty happy over here all the same since we reject all google posts, my
> spam complaints fo0r over a month have totalled *ZERO* since ridding
> those fools from stealing my resources... happy days :D

Ausics provides free Usenet access to Australian Residential,
Educational, and Mobile users.

Access is I.P. Address based, requiring no sign-ups, personal info,
usernames or passwords.

Source:
https://newsgroups.ausics.net/

That's nice. Great to have a good example.