From: Roberta@Roberta.com (Roberta)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: eMail Client
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:15:08 -0800
 by: Roberta - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 15:15 UTC

What we have is Win XP SP3 32bit laptops.
We have very simple needs.

We need an eMail Client that will work with GMail,

The last version of Thunderbird 52.9.1 (32 bit) will not allow adding a
GMail eMail.

It does go to GMail for acceptance and GMail seems to allow but back to
Thunderbird and the addition of this GMail account never completes. We
have to Cancel the Mail Account Setup window.
The setting Thunderbird uses seem OK including showing the new GMail
security requirements.

Incoming IMAP imap.gmail.com 993 SSL/TLS OAuth2
Outgoing SMTP smtp.gmail.com 465 SSL/TLS OAuth2

Suggestions for an eMail client that will work.

Thank you in advance.

Re: eMail Client

<JEbcL.102038$8ga9.100981@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3811&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3811

Subject: Re: eMail Client
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: Johnd@Booogus.com (John Dulak)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:33:59 -0500
 by: John Dulak - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:33 UTC

On 11/13/2022 10:15 AM, Roberta wrote:

> What we have is Win XP SP3 32bit laptops.
> We have very simple needs.
>
> We need an eMail Client that will work with GMail,
>
> The last version of Thunderbird 52.9.1 (32 bit) will not allow adding a GMail
> eMail.
>
> It does go to GMail for acceptance and GMail seems to allow but back to
> Thunderbird and the addition of this GMail account never completes.  We have to
> Cancel the Mail Account Setup window.
> The setting Thunderbird uses seem OK including showing the new GMail security
> requirements.
>
> Incoming IMAP imap.gmail.com 993 SSL/TLS OAuth2
> Outgoing SMTP smtp.gmail.com 465 SSL/TLS OAuth2
>
> Suggestions for an eMail client that will work.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Roberta:

This is what I dod to make T-Bird and Gmail play nice on Windows XP.

SOLVED - Gmail vs Thunderbird on Windows XP.

Gmail has announced that they will be ending access to the service with "Less
Secure" applications on May 30. From that date on POP3 access will no longer
work and Gmail will only accept connections via IMAP using oAuth2.0.

This causes a problem for those of us using older software and operating systems
like Thunderbird running on Windows XP.

I have spent considerable time looking into this and I have finally found
something that WORKS!

Older versions of Thunderbird know nothing about IMAP and oAuth2.0 so I had to
find a version of T-Bird that could do both. The last version of T-bird that ran
on XP was version 52.9.1 available here;

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/52.9.1/win32/en-US/Thunderbird%20Setup%2052.9.1.exe

T-bird is good at not messing with your old accounts and emails when upgrading
so I just installed over the old version and everything except one add-on was
inherited.

Since I already had a Gmail account in T-bird that used POP3 I created a new
account to use IMAP/oAuth2.0. (The accounts must have different names or T-bird
will complain) I managed to create a new Gmail account which defaulted to
IMAP/oAuth2 and the servers and port numbers agree with what I could find on the
web.

HOWEVER it would NOT connect to the Gmail servers. I get a "sign in with Google"
window and enter Email and PW but it goes into some sort of endless loop!! After
some searching I found out that Gmail has an idiotsyncrasy in its oAuth2
implementation!!! The good news is there is an easy fix.

From;

https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider/issues/26#issuecomment-547994463

It appears that google has just changed their oauth process and started
rejecting oauth requests based on the User-Agent header.

Changing "general.useragent.compatMode.firefox" preference to true fixes the
issue, google authentication works again.

There is unfortunately no switch in the program's settings to change the user
agent in Thunderbird. What you need to do is add a hidden parameter to the
advanced configuration to do that.

In T-bird click on Tools > Options > Advanced > General tab > Config Editor
button. You may see a warning message - Click on "I'll be careful" to continue.
Right click somewhere in the parameter list window and choose New > Boolean from
the pop up menu. Into the name field paste;

general.useragent.compatMode.firefox

Then click OK. It should now appear in the parameter list window with a boolean
value of "True". If not you can change it by right clicking on it and choose
"Toggle".

When you FIRST check Gmail with this account you will have to enter your Gmail
address / password and choose to "Allow" T-bird to access Gmail.

If you have emails in an old T-Bird Gmail POP3 account you can now copy then
over to the new Gmail IMAP/oAuth account's inbox.

If you want to Download emails from Gmail to your local machine so you can view
them without network access do this;

Select Tools > Account Settings from the menu.
Select the Synchronization & Storage category for the desired IMAP account. ...
Click Advanced.
Check Download for the Inbox folder and any others you want available offline.
Click OK > OK.

From;
https://www.lifewire.com/offline-imap-email-inbox-thunderbird-1173086

HTH &GL

John

--
\\\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

Re: eMail Client

<tkrj5a$1mk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3812&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3812

From: Roberta@Roberta.com (Roberta)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:13:28 -0800
 by: Roberta - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:13 UTC

It worked !

Thank you so much !

Re: eMail Client

<k%ycL.104152$2Rs3.74183@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3823&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3823

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: Johnd@Booogus.com (John Dulak)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:08:14 -0500
 by: John Dulak - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:08 UTC

On 11/13/2022 3:13 PM, Roberta wrote:
> It worked !
>
> Thank you so much !
On 11/13/2022 3:13 PM, Roberta wrote:
> It worked !
>
> Thank you so much !

Roberta:

Glad you got it to work for you. You will find that every so often (~6 Months)
Gmail will ask you to re-enter your email address and password to "Allow" T-Bird
to access your Gmail acount. Re-enter them and all will be well.

John

--
\\\||///