From: Roberta@Roberta.com (Roberta)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Sandbox
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:38:41 -0800
 by: Roberta - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:38 UTC

I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.

What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?

Links please.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Sandbox

<cxy51yhcykxc$.n0dhrusueu21$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3816&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3816

From: jj4public@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Sandbox
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 05:34:25 +0700
 by: JJ - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:34 UTC

On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:38:41 -0800, Roberta wrote:
> I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.
>
> What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?
>
> Links please.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Sandboxie.

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v5.40

Use the XP version.

Newer versions no longer support XP.

Re: Sandbox

<d513nhh2nbhn9d4b1cseau6h5nqs99qiks@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3817&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3817

From: Harlan@simulated_addy.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 18:01:24 -0600
 by: Harlan@simulated_addy.com - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:01 UTC

On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:38:41 -0800, Roberta <Roberta@Roberta.com>
wrote:

>I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.
>
>What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?
>
>Links please.
>
>Thank you in advance.

You could use something a heck of a lot simpler than Sandboxie.

http://www.toolwiz.com/lead/toolwiz_time_freeze.php

Simple as it comes. Been using for some time with XP and Windows 7
with no problems. Don't have any anti virus program on my machine.
Time Freeze dumps everything - good or bad - after a reboot.

Re: Sandbox

<c863nhpnfbulu121qqt3g0s77j35ikcuc5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3819&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3819

From: Berry@ferco.net
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:27:17 -0600
 by: Berry@ferco.net - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 01:27 UTC

wrote:

>I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.
>
>What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?
>
>Links please.
>
>Thank you in advance.

http://www.toolwiz.com/lead/toolwiz_time_freeze.php

or

https://sandboxie-plus.com/

I use Time Freeze.

Re: Sandbox

<tksfea$1me73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3820&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3820

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:16:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 04:16 UTC

On 11/13/2022 5:34 PM, JJ wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:38:41 -0800, Roberta wrote:
>> I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.
>>
>> What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?
>>
>> Links please.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sandboxie.
>
> https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v5.40
>
> Use the XP version.
>
> Newer versions no longer support XP.

The rich history of the product is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie_Plus

I get the impression Sandboxie was used to run a single
application in a "box". Whereas Sandboxie_Plus switches
this to sandboxing the entire OS.

The ability to use the thing then, may be just a bit
simpler with the Windows XP version.

Any time you use sandboxes or Internet Cafe ("C: freezers") software,
you *must* understand the technical limitations, before using one.
Imagine running a malware in there, and something happens and your
main C: drive is ruined. You're using an unsupported OS, with
an unsupported version of a security product. (A sandbox is still
a security product, because it "promises some kind of security"
if you use it.) It helps to have a backup of your system,
in case of an emergency developing.

Note that, the github site kinda sucks, because with an older
browser, you get a "spinning wheel", instead of a list
of downloads. I could not tell you right off hand, which
browser will not present the spinning wheel. Maybe Waterfox Classic ?

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v5.40

# What the spinning wheel hides, on a crappy browser

Note: For Windows XP, use SandboxieInstall32_xp.exe

Assets 6

SandboxieInstall32.exe 2.23 MB Apr 9, 2020
SandboxieInstall32_xp.exe 2.23 MB Apr 9, 2020 <=== WinXP link
SandboxieInstall64.exe 2.79 MB Apr 9, 2020
xp_src_patch.zip 44.3 KB Apr 9, 2020
Source code (zip) Apr 9, 2020 (small download)
Source code (tar.gz) Apr 9, 2020 (small download)

You might be able to try some other tool (wget, curl, aria2c)
to access the URL. These things may not be stored on the
server as "blobs", especially the source code is likely
pulled from the tree as individual files dynamically and then they make
a ZIP out of it. I would try this with "wget" or similar.
It might just work.

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/download/v5.40/SandboxieInstall32_xp.exe

If you don't have a wget, you can pull one out of here.

https://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline119.zip <=== this is a win7 version

wsusoffline119.zip
wsusoffline
bin
wget.exe
Size: 4,425,048 bytes (4321 KiB)
SHA256: 1908C52CC8B3F573C719451874B0CCE62C89D965D733F403FC0E8F67480434FD

Then you can try:

cd /d C:\path\to\downloaded\wgetexe\
wget https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/download/v5.40/SandboxieInstall32_xp.exe

Paul

Re: Sandbox

<bjj3nh9okkp86lhciif3ljrb9sgipcr8er@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3821&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3821

From: Harlan@simulated_addy.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:33:59 -0600
 by: Harlan@simulated_addy.com - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 05:33 UTC

On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:16:10 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/13/2022 5:34 PM, JJ wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:38:41 -0800, Roberta wrote:
>>> I was reading posts and saw discussion about Sandbox.
>>>
>>> What Sandbox is recommended for Win XP Pro 32 SP3 bit ?
>>>
>>> Links please.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Sandboxie.
>>
>> https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v5.40
>>
>> Use the XP version.
>>
>> Newer versions no longer support XP.

Del

Use Time Freeze. It can be set to simply protect the entire C: drive
each time XP boots. You can exclude some programs from it's
protection, but I believe that should never be done.

http://www.toolwiz.com/lead/toolwiz_time_freeze.php

>Any time you use sandboxes or Internet Cafe ("C: freezers") software,
>you *must* understand the technical limitations, before using one.
>Imagine running a malware in there, and something happens and your
>main C: drive is ruined.

Why would someone worry about having malware on their computer if
there never has been such a problem? It's silly to alway think the
worst and end up screwing yourself being over protective. It it ain't
broke, don't fix it.

<You're using an unsupported OS, with
>an unsupported version of a security product.

An "usupported" OS does not mean one is unprotected. It depends on a
lot more than just the OS to get infected.

As for "unsupported" security products go, how how about TrueCrypt
7.1a, or PGP versions like 6.5.8 ckt which has never had the slightest
hint of being broken?

>(A sandbox is still a security product, because it "promises some
> kind of security")

>if you use it.) It helps to have a backup of your system,
>in case of an emergency developing.

One should always have their C: drive imaged or backed up - no matter
what programs or OS they are using.

Deleted a long list of more tekkie nonsense one doesn't need.

These tekkies are never happy until they download enough "Security"
crap that finally causes some problem or other. They then post endless
threads trying to solve it.

Get Time Freeze. All you have to do is install it, set it to boot
with Windows, and you're protected. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED.

> Paul

Enough is enough of this constant adding more and more security crap
to a computer. Most users don't know what the hell most of it does
anway, and many screw them selves up fooling around with these
programs.