(It is an old Debian tradition to leave at least twice a year ...) -- Sven Rudolph

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

SubjectAuthor
* Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouRick
+- Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouAndy Burns
+* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouEd Cryer
|`* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouRick
| +- Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouEd Cryer
| `* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouCarlos E. R.
|  `- Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouPaul
`* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouJoel
 `* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouRick
  `* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouJoel
   `* Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouRick
    `- Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to YouJoel

1
Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukfu63$2fd4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3891&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3891

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:48:34 -0500
 by: Rick - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:48 UTC

Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a pop
up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are choices
to "Use precise location" or "Not now".

I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never saw
this message before, so why is it starting now? And how do I get rid of it?

For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this on
the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my setup
that's causing this.

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<kt1cs1F2lcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3892&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3892

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:54:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:54 UTC

Rick wrote:

> Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a
> pop up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are
> choices to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>
> I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never
> saw this message before, so why is it starting now?  And how do I get
> rid of it?
>
> For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this
> on the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my
> setup that's causing this.

Have you recently used the Microsoft Phone Link application? That might
feed GPS data to your Win11 Location Service, which might then let your
browser know it's available, and it asks if you want to allow it?

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukfunn$2fdb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3893&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3893

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:57:19 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:57 UTC

Rick wrote:
> Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a
> pop up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are
> choices to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>
> I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never
> saw this message before, so why is it starting now?  And how do I get
> rid of it?
>
> For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this
> on the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my
> setup that's causing this.
It's not you; it's Google and their update of Chrome.
Try this.
Open Chrome.
At the top right click More Settings.
Click Privacy and Security. Site Settings.
Click Location.
Choose the option you want as your default setting. (Don't Allow Sites
To See Your Location)
Ed

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukg1l8$2ftl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3897&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3897

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:47:52 -0500
 by: Rick - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:47 UTC

"Ed Cryer" wrote in message news:ukfunn$2fdb7$1@dont-email.me...

>Rick wrote:
>> Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a
>> pop up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are
>> choices to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>>
>> I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never
>> saw this message before, so why is it starting now? And how do I get rid
>> of it?
>>
>> For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this
>> on the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my
>> setup that's causing this.
>
>It's not you; it's Google and their update of Chrome.
>Try this.
>
>Open Chrome.
>At the top right click More Settings.
>Click Privacy and Security. Site Settings.
>Click Location.
>Choose the option you want as your default setting. (Don't Allow Sites To
>See Your Location)
>
>Ed

Okay, so when I do that I see two choices for the default: "Sites Can Ask
for Your Location" (which is selected, which explains why Google is asking)
and "Don't allow sites to see your location. " Then below that are some
sites that have somehow been coded as exceptions - sites that are not
allowed to see your location and then sites that are allowed to see your
location. All good.

Thing is, I actually don't have a problem with the default being to allow
sites to ask, since for most sites it would only be an occasional prompt,
and I'm usually going to say yes if it’s a restaurant or a map direction
program or something similar. Other than Google, it's pretty rare for a
site to ask permission to see my location, so occasional prompts are no big
thing. But I use Google several times a day, so I would prefer to set
Google specifically to not use my location. Problem is, I can't see how to
set a site as an exception. I can delete sites that are in the exception
list, but how do I add a site to the list?

--

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukg9l9$2gsu2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3902&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3902

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:03:59 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:03 UTC

Rick wrote:
> "Ed Cryer"  wrote in message news:ukfunn$2fdb7$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting
>>> a pop up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and
>>> underneath are choices to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>>>
>>> I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and
>>> never saw this message before, so why is it starting now?  And how do
>>> I get rid of it?
>>>
>>> For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about
>>> this on the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change
>>> to my setup that's causing this.
>>
>> It's not you; it's Google and their update of Chrome.
>> Try this.
>>
>> Open Chrome.
>> At the top right click More Settings.
>> Click Privacy and Security. Site Settings.
>> Click Location.
>> Choose the option you want as your default setting. (Don't Allow Sites
>> To See Your Location)
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Okay, so when I do that I see two choices for the default:  "Sites Can
> Ask for Your Location" (which is selected, which explains why Google is
> asking) and "Don't allow sites to see your location. "  Then below that
> are some sites that have somehow been coded as exceptions - sites that
> are not allowed to see your location and then sites that are allowed to
> see your location.   All good.
>
> Thing is, I actually don't have a problem with the default being to
> allow sites to ask, since for most sites it would only be an occasional
> prompt, and I'm usually going to say yes if it’s a restaurant or a map
> direction program or something similar.  Other than Google, it's pretty
> rare for a site to ask permission to see my location, so occasional
> prompts are no big thing.  But I use Google several times a day, so I
> would prefer to set Google specifically to not use my location.  Problem
> is, I can't see how to set a site as an exception.  I can delete sites
> that are in the exception list, but how do I add a site to the list?
>
> --
Add it as a "trusted site".
ed

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ncnnmihljf3flhv35kua84kt1mhecf6g7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3906&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3906

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 21:28:56 -0500
 by: Joel - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 02:28 UTC

"Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

Are you using an older computer to post with, or recycling WLM into
Win11 by force?

>Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a pop
>up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are choices
>to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>
>I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never saw
>this message before, so why is it starting now? And how do I get rid of it?
>
>For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this on
>the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my setup
>that's causing this.

Is your Google account connected to your smartphone, by which it would
know your location?

--
Joel W. Crump

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukgpvi$2j93o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3908&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3908

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 21:42:57 -0500
 by: Rick - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 02:42 UTC

"Joel" wrote in message news:ncnnmihljf3flhv35kua84kt1mhecf6g7m@4ax.com...

>"Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>Are you using an older computer to post with, or recycling WLM into
>Win11 by force?

No, it's a new Win 11 computer, but I am continuing to use WLM because I'm
accustomed to the UI and don't feel like converting to Thunderbird or other
freebie alternatives.

>>Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a
>>pop
>>up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are
>>choices
>>to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>>
>>I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never
>>saw
>>this message before, so why is it starting now? And how do I get rid of
>>it?
>>
>>For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this on
>>the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my setup
>>that's causing this.
>

>Is your Google account connected to your smartphone, by which it would
>know your location?

I do have the Google app on my IOS smartphone, but location tracking is
turned off for the app. However the Chrome app is set to track location
while using the Chrome app, so I suppose if I ever use Google under Chrome
it could know my location that way.

--

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<e0unmipeoo1d09pa275ste35bgb9foog5l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3910&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3910

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 22:47:50 -0500
 by: Joel - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

"Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>>Are you using an older computer to post with, or recycling WLM into
>>Win11 by force?
>
>No, it's a new Win 11 computer, but I am continuing to use WLM because I'm
>accustomed to the UI and don't feel like converting to Thunderbird or other
>freebie alternatives.

Intriguing.

>>>Recently when I do a Google search under Chrome, I've started getting a
>>>pop
>>>up message that says "See Results Closer to You?" and underneath are
>>>choices
>>>to "Use precise location" or "Not now".
>>>
>>>I've been using windows 11, Chrome and Google for a few years and never
>>>saw
>>>this message before, so why is it starting now? And how do I get rid of
>>>it?
>>>
>>>For some reason, I'm finding surprisingly little information about this on
>>>the web, so I'm wondering if I inadvertently made some change to my setup
>>>that's causing this.
>>
>>Is your Google account connected to your smartphone, by which it would
>>know your location?
>
>I do have the Google app on my IOS smartphone, but location tracking is
>turned off for the app. However the Chrome app is set to track location
>while using the Chrome app, so I suppose if I ever use Google under Chrome
>it could know my location that way.

If Chrome for iOS is your main browser on the iPhone, I'd suspect
that, but otherwise I'd doubt it. In my case, I have an Android
phone, so my Google account is fairly tied between the devices.

--
Joel W. Crump

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<ukguem$2nla5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3912&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3912

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:59:17 -0500
 by: Rick - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 03:59 UTC

"Joel" wrote in message news:e0unmipeoo1d09pa275ste35bgb9foog5l@4ax.com...

>"Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>Are you using an older computer to post with, or recycling WLM into
>>>Win11 by force?
>>
>>No, it's a new Win 11 computer, but I am continuing to use WLM because I'm
>>accustomed to the UI and don't feel like converting to Thunderbird or
>>other
>>freebie alternatives.
>

>Intriguing.

>>>Is your Google account connected to your smartphone, by which it would
>>>know your location?
>>
>>I do have the Google app on my IOS smartphone, but location tracking is
>>turned off for the app. However the Chrome app is set to track location
>>while using the Chrome app, so I suppose if I ever use Google under Chrome
>>it could know my location that way.
>

>If Chrome for iOS is your main browser on the iPhone, I'd suspect
>that, but otherwise I'd doubt it. In my case, I have an Android
>phone, so my Google account is fairly tied between the devices.

Yes, Chrome is my primary browser on the iPhone, so that could be where it
gets it. I am always logged on to Google on both the iPhone and PC so I
know a lot of info (such as bookmarks) is shared between both.

--

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<atvnmi1vtjqg9uodac12e7boims850fd5b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3913&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3913

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 23:51:06 -0500
 by: Joel - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 04:51 UTC

"Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>I do have the Google app on my IOS smartphone, but location tracking is
>>>turned off for the app. However the Chrome app is set to track location
>>>while using the Chrome app, so I suppose if I ever use Google under Chrome
>>>it could know my location that way.
>>
>>If Chrome for iOS is your main browser on the iPhone, I'd suspect
>>that, but otherwise I'd doubt it. In my case, I have an Android
>>phone, so my Google account is fairly tied between the devices.
>
>Yes, Chrome is my primary browser on the iPhone, so that could be where it
>gets it. I am always logged on to Google on both the iPhone and PC so I
>know a lot of info (such as bookmarks) is shared between both.

I suspect that Google is making use of what it knows across devices.

--
Joel W. Crump

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<kteg67FpmpvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3945

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 19:11:19 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 18:11 UTC

On 2023-12-02 20:47, Rick wrote:
> "Ed Cryer"  wrote in message news:ukfunn$2fdb7$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> Rick wrote:

> Thing is, I actually don't have a problem with the default being to
> allow sites to ask, since for most sites it would only be an occasional
> prompt, and I'm usually going to say yes if it’s a restaurant or a map
> direction program or something similar.  Other than Google, it's pretty
> rare for a site to ask permission to see my location, so occasional
> prompts are no big thing.  But I use Google several times a day, so I
> would prefer to set Google specifically to not use my location.  Problem
> is, I can't see how to set a site as an exception.  I can delete sites
> that are in the exception list, but how do I add a site to the list?

Many sites want to know your precise location as a manner of identifying
you, specially when hopping from site to site. They can then better
learn what adverts you might be interested on.

They also want to know the details of your machine, for the same purpose.

It makes more sense on phones, but also works on computers.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Google Prompt to See Results Closer to You

<uktqmm$1fcni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3960&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3960

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 20:15:01 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:15 UTC

On 12/7/2023 1:11 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-02 20:47, Rick wrote:
>> "Ed Cryer"  wrote in message news:ukfunn$2fdb7$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> Rick wrote:

>> Thing is, I actually don't have a problem with the default being to allow sites to ask, since for most sites it would only be an occasional prompt, and I'm usually going to say yes if it’s a restaurant or a map direction program or something similar.  Other than Google, it's pretty rare for a site to ask permission to see my location, so occasional prompts are no big thing.  But I use Google several times a day, so I would prefer to set Google specifically to not use my location.  Problem is, I can't see how to set a site as an exception.  I can delete sites that are in the exception list, but how do I add a site to the list?
>
> Many sites want to know your precise location as a manner of identifying you, specially when hopping from site to site. They can then better learn what adverts you might be interested on.
>
> They also want to know the details of your machine, for the same purpose.
>
> It makes more sense on phones, but also works on computers.

Not only do you collect information for some
mis-guided ideas of your own. A more important usage,
is the sale of the information to other companies.

A hint as to just how lucrative this is, is watching the
CPU cores being pegged on your computer, when you visit
various popular web sites. What requires billions of CPU cycles
exactly ? Does Amazon recording my taste in Argyle socks,
really take as much CPU as calculating PI to a million digits ?

What I notice is, I bought a fancy CPU, and it's *slower* than
a Core2 on WinXP. This is Not Good, Citizen. That energy isn't
going into rendering the screen. It's being used for... something else.

Paul