There are some things worth dying for. -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

SubjectAuthor
* Outlook is replacing Windows MailThe Chief
+- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailJoerg Walther
+* Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailJoel
|`- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailBig Al
+* Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailVanguardLH
|`* Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
| `* Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailVanguardLH
|  `- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailEd Cryer
+- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows MailThe Chief
`- Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<5a2hmi120dk9po9vue24m403hi3ctak35e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3856

From: 9thInf-1stCav@VietVet.org (The Chief)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:12:12 -0500
 by: The Chief - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:12 UTC

The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
and get the same on each.
I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<fs9hmih82arem90chu95vjl1e9dn16j9b5@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3860&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3860

From: joerg.walther@gmail.com (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:19:46 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:19 UTC

The Chief wrote:

>The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
>Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".

I wouldn't use it, M$ transfers all your passwords and your data into
its cloud and uses it for ads:
https://mailbox.org/en/post/warning-new-outlook-sends-passwords-mails-and-other-data-to-microsoft

-jw-

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<sschmi9j1a7ph71k0fc1cpldou2qjubo7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3862

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:14:09 -0500
 by: Joel - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:14 UTC

The Chief <9thInf-1stCav@VietVet.org> wrote:

>The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
>Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
>I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
>Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
>Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
>brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
>already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
>account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
>and get the same on each.
>I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
>messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

I was using the public beta, I paid $20 as an annual fee to M$ to get
rid of the ads, but will not renew it now that I've flushed Windows. I
had two email accounts, my Microsoft account and my Google account,
both of which were perfect for the neo-Outlook beta. Under Linux,
though, I just have Chrome tabs open to both inboxes, the secondary
browser is ideal for Gmail, I could even run Edge for Microsoft's
stuff, since they bothered to release a Linux version of it.

--
Joel W. Crump

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<o7xor87ish6h.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3866&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3866

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:49:05 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 18:49 UTC

The Chief <9thInf-1stCav@VietVet.org> wrote:

> The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
> Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
> I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
> Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
> Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
> brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
> already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
> account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
> and get the same on each.
> I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
> messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

For me, their webmail client has become excrutiatingly slow. Takes over
2 minutes to fully paint while reporting "Transferring data from
res.cdn.office.net ...". Even after finally painting all the elements
in its web page, it continues for another 5 minutes to say "Transferring
data from res.cdn.office.net ...". I login, and then go start a new pot
of coffee to come back later.

Another reason I rarely use their webmail client are the e-mails *they*
inject into your Inbox that are ads. Even say "[Ad] ..." at the right
end of the From field. I'm a freeloader: my MS accounts are free. You
cannot select and then delete their e-mailed ads. You have to
individually use the trash can icon they show in the From field of each
ad-sponsored message.

I do not see the "2024 Outlook is replacing ..." banner. I do see a
"Get Outlook with no Ads $1.99 a month" at the bottom of the tree pane.
Of course, Microsoft continues their confusion with naming their e-mail
service as "Outlook" while they still have a standalone software product
called "Outlook". So, I have to wonder if the "Outlook" replacement
will be some new UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app, or if they
decided to dole out Outlook, the program, for free, like they did with
Notebook. I use their Android app for e-mail on my smartphone, but
cannot find a free UWP app for Windows.

What I have read online is Microsoft is discontinuing support for the
Mail and Calendar UWP apps, but unclear is if they're just going to
rename them to Outlook.

I have MS Outlook from the Office 2019 Pro Plus bundle, but I haven't
bothered to go back to it yet. I'm still using eM Client (paid to get
past 2 account limit) as my local e-mail client.

As for reference to Yahoo, many colleges and companies don't bother to
waste resources on hardware and manpower to provide their own e-mail
server. They contract that out. They could contract with MS, or other
e-mail providers. Some contract out to Yahoo.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/mail-amp-calendar-apps-will-be-replaced-with-new-outlook-for/m-p/3850309

Lists only Microsoft and Gmail accounts as getting migrated to the new
Outlook app. Yahoo, and other provider accounts, won't get migrated.
They plan to add Yahoo later, but not at first.

If you're still using the Mail and Calendar UWP apps instead of a decent
client (there are *tons* of better and free clients), don't jump on the
New Outlook app until it really is ready. If you're still using the
rather inane Mail and Calendar apps, what doesn't it do that you need
(which cannot be handled by better clients)?

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<ukamhs$1fjt5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3867&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3867

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:07:40 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:07 UTC

On 11/30/23 11:14 AM, this is what Joel wrote:
> I could even run Edge for Microsoft's
> stuff, since they bothered to release a Linux version of it.
I kinda like the edge on Linux.
If you change the launcher/menu item to
/usr/bin/microsoft-edge-stable --force-device-scale-factor=1.1
you get a bit larger UI.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<ukasds$1gj3f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3874&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3874

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:47:11 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:47 UTC

The Chief wrote:
> The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
> Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
> I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
> Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
> Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
> brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
> already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
> account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
> and get the same on each.
> I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
> messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

They've taken the opportunity to route you all over their latest gewgaws
when you try to get in or out.
You're pestered to join this and that feed. They'll gladly feed you
their news, tailored (of course) in their interest. And your responses
will all go to "give you more relevant ads" and (my cynical appraisal)
"make your life better" by filling it with garbage, false news, gutter
gossip and the misguided feeling that they have something worth having.

Ed

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<htekmilc223m293dseu3ib5kj04vg46err@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3884&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3884

From: 9thInf-1stCav@VietVet.org (The Chief)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 15:04:00 -0500
 by: The Chief - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:04 UTC

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I haven't seen any adds or things
like that. But I've learned enough to stay away from the "New
Outlook". Thanks again.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:12:12 -0500, The Chief
<9thInf-1stCav@VietVet.org> wrote:

>The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
>Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
>I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
>Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
>Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
>brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
>already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
>account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
>and get the same on each.
>I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
>messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<ukeim1$28vkr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3885

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 23:26:07 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 06:26 UTC

The Chief wrote on 11/30/23 6:12 AM:
> The Webmail banner says......In 2024 Outlook is replacing Windows
> Mail and Calendar...toggle "Try the new Outlook".
> I tried the new Outlook. Only one of five mail accounts transfered.
> Click on any of the others and it wants to "Sync" your Yahoo account.
> Hmmm, didn't know it was a Yahoo account. Click continue and it
> brings up a permissions window...OK...and I get "The email account has
> already been added".....well DUH!! The only option is to remove the
> account. Absolutely no help. I have two machines, one Win10 and Win11
> and get the same on each.
> I can find no options to ADD, or edit, a mail account? Has anyone
> messed with this version of Outlook, or is it just me?

For Windows 11 there has been some reported variation when previously
using the Windows included email client(Mail) and Outlook(new) with
accounts setup in 'Mail' being or not being fully transferred to
Outlook(new).
- in the majority of cases the non-transferred accounts are thos
configured for POP3 in the old Mail app.

The variation in the reports appears to be related to how one accesses
the Outlook(new) app.
1. Clicking/touching etc. on the Outlook(new) app in Windows 11(Start
Menu, Pinned shortcut, Search)
2. Clicking/sliding the slider(upper rigtht)in the Mail app to switch to
Outlook(new)

When performing (1) only selective email accounts appear to initially
transfer into the Outlook(new) app
- reports indicate the missing accounts may take up to 48 hrs to
appear, in some cases POP3 or IMAP may not appear(the majority being
POP3). It's unclear if waiting longer than 48 hrs since too many report
they manually added the missing account in the Outlook(new app)
When performing (2) all accounts in the Mail app are present(transfer)
to the Outlook(new ) and are retained thereafter when accessing
Outlook(new) via the method in (1) - Start, Pinned shortcut, Search

Note: On this end, my primary email client is Outlook(i.e. the program
included in Microsoft 365 Office(Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook,
Access, Publisher)
- Not using or having a need for the Mail app or the Outlook(new app) and
not having previously opened the Outlook(new) app:

As a test, I setup 4 email accounts in the Mail app(Outlook.com, Gmail,
Yahoo, and my isp with the respective server protocol configurations -
Exchange, Imap, Imap, Pop3.
Once done, I used(2) to open the Outlook(new) app. - only 3 accounts were
present - the Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo - all three of these accounts
were autoconfigured. The missing isp account using POP3 was manually
configured with the POP/SMPT, Port, Authentication settings.
Returning to the Mail app, verifying those 4 accounts presence and
functionality, I moved the slider in the Mail app to 'Try the new Outlook'
=> Once the new app opened all accounts were present
Closing both the Mail and Outlook(new apps) then opening the Outlook(new
app) in the Start, Apps list, pinned shortcut, or search thereafter
retained all email accounts. The Gmail, Yahoo, and Cox account requiring
further setup(allow access to sync).
- One other unique change(and for a reason explained below) - the isp
account that was setup manually with POP3 in the Windows 11 Mail app was
converted to IMAP.
Why? The Outlook(new) app supports 3rd party accounts using the
following protocols.
=====> 3rd party account support (Gmail, Yahoo!, iCloud and other IMAP
accounts)
- i.e. no POP3 option in Outlook(new).
This was known way back on 2022 when it first became available as an
option in the Windows Insider channel. This same information can be found
in MSFT's online support documentation(available when Outlook[new] was
released to the general public and deployed as an option in the Mail app
and later deployed via the MSFT store to Win11/Win10 devices)
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/getting-started-with-the-new-outlook-for-windows-656bb8d9-5a60-49b2-a98b-ba7822bc7627>

To add an account in the Outlook(new) app
=> scroll down to the bottom in the navigation pane(the left hand side
pane that lists your email accounts - at the bottom and below all email
accounts is the 'Add Account' feature/option.
- and remember POP3 **is not/no longer** a supported option. And
unlikely to be supported in the future due to it's non-sync feature(i.e.
only downloads Inbox, not other server folders and content)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<ukemv7$29gdk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3886&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3886

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 00:39:16 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 07:39 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 11/30/23 11:49 AM:

Replied to a lot of items inline. Hope its helpful.

> I do not see the "2024 Outlook is replacing ..." banner. I do see a
> "Get Outlook with no Ads $1.99 a month" at the bottom of the tree pane.
> Of course, Microsoft continues their confusion with naming their e-mail
> service as "Outlook" while they still have a standalone software product
> called "Outlook". So, I have to wonder if the "Outlook" replacement
> will be some new UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app, or if they
> decided to dole out Outlook, the program, for free, like they did with
> Notebook. I use their Android app for e-mail on my smartphone, but
> cannot find a free UWP app for Windows.

If looking in the web mail Outlook UI(via a browser), the 'Outlook is
replacing' doesn't apply. It applies to the local Windows 11/10
Mail/Calendar app, the approach is make the local app more consistent
with the Outlook.com UI and likewise further eventually integrate with
free Microsoft Account(MSA) online features(Office online free apps -
Word, Excel, OneDrive, etc.).

Outlook(the Office program) will not be dolled out for free <g>. Nor will
the local Outlook.new or Outlook.com web UI ever reach the feature/option
level present in Outlook(the desktop client included in Office).

> What I have read online is Microsoft is discontinuing support for the
> Mail and Calendar UWP apps, but unclear is if they're just going to
> rename them to Outlook.

It's not a rename, but a replacement. The old app/package is retained
currently for supposedly, a learning transition period. It will be
removed from Windows as well as the ability to currently reinstall the
package via PowerShell, if removed by the current user in Windows.

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/mail-amp-calendar-apps-will-be-replaced-with-new-outlook-for/m-p/3850309
> Lists only Microsoft and Gmail accounts as getting migrated to the new
> Outlook app. Yahoo, and other provider accounts, won't get migrated.
> They plan to add Yahoo later, but not at first.

Unfortunately, the techcommunity article by a non-MSFT employee is an
older and outdated article.
More recent information directly from MSFT personnel is available(Sept 2023)
"Whether your email service of choice is Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, Gmail,
Yahoo, iCloud, or a provider that uses IMAP (or all of the above), you
can use the new Outlook for Windows"
<https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/new-outlook-for-windows-now-available/ba-p/3932068>
- the outdated article was penned by a Microsoft M365 MVP, the more
current by a MSFT employee in the Outlook(for Windows) program.
- As you know, everything on the internet is not up to date...and can
be quite common for some MSFT MVP's to not update articles when new
information has been released. In fairness to the MVP(who's only been in
the program for 1 yr.), she does indicate revision dates in her article -
coincidentally, that 'revision date' method was one I continually
recommended for over a dozen years as a MSFT MVP when posting/penning
articles on MSFT's web sites or personal blogs/web sites to ensure it was
understood, the posted content was only accurate up to the time it was
posted.

> If you're still using the Mail and Calendar UWP apps instead of a decent
> client (there are *tons* of better and free clients), don't jump on the
> New Outlook app until it really is ready. If you're still using the
> rather inane Mail and Calendar apps, what doesn't it do that you need
> (which cannot be handled by better clients)?

Agreed. There are better traditional email clients(Thunderbird, SeaMonkey
anbd other 3rd party offerings) or even more full featured clients(e.g.
if one has Office 365 or M365 that includes Outlook).
Whether or not the Outlook(new) app will ever be ready...well,
Outlook.com the web UI and the local included email apps have been in a
state of change almost forever. For Windows included mail
programs...'really ready' might be a pipe dream.
- Do note, that does not mean even its current deployed condition -the
Mail app or the Outlook(new) app that it will meet(or more than meet) the
needs of some/many users.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<xzhoebagl2oy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3887

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 02:47:57 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:47 UTC

winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/new-outlook-for-windows-now-available/ba-p/3932068
(dated Sep 21 2023)

Yet the OP shows that 2 months later the auto-migrate of his Yahoo
account failed. I'm assuming the errors he saw mentioning Yahoo meant
the accounts actually pointed at Yahoo. He said he didn't know some
accounts in Mail were pointing at Yahoo. Not sure how a user wouldn't
know to what e-mail servers his client points. Even when using college
or company accounts that contract out to Yahoo, the client is configured
to connect to Yahoo.

However, the OP also says he cannot determine how to add/edit an account
in "new" Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/getting-started-with-the-new-outlook-for-windows-656bb8d9-5a60-49b2-a98b-ba7822bc7627
https://office-insider-media.azurefd.net/media/2023/03/Outlook-Spring_1.jpg

Those show the left pane having an "Add account" at the bottom. While
it is there, perhaps it is disabled (grayed out) until you select an
appropriate node in the tree pane.

Re: Outlook is replacing Windows Mail

<ukga3h$2h626$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3903&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3903

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:12:01 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 22:12 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 12/2/23 1:47 AM:
> winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/new-outlook-for-windows-now-available/ba-p/3932068
> (dated Sep 21 2023)
>
> Yet the OP shows that 2 months later the auto-migrate of his Yahoo
> account failed. I'm assuming the errors he saw mentioning Yahoo meant
> the accounts actually pointed at Yahoo. He said he didn't know some
> accounts in Mail were pointing at Yahoo. Not sure how a user wouldn't
> know to what e-mail servers his client points. Even when using college
> or company accounts that contract out to Yahoo, the client is configured
> to connect to Yahoo.
>
> However, the OP also says he cannot determine how to add/edit an account
> in "new" Outlook.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/getting-started-with-the-new-outlook-for-windows-656bb8d9-5a60-49b2-a98b-ba7822bc7627
> https://office-insider-media.azurefd.net/media/2023/03/Outlook-Spring_1.jpg
>
> Those show the left pane having an "Add account" at the bottom. While
> it is there, perhaps it is disabled (grayed out) until you select an
> appropriate node in the tree pane.

The OP in this thread(Windows 11 group) in my news client has two posts.
The first the initial post, the second - thanking everyone. No mention of
two months etc. Both OP posts are within 37 hours of each other(Nov 30,
Dec 1)/

The far left column is the Navigation pane, the center column is the
Folder Pane, the next two and to the right of the Folder pane are the
Message Pane, then Preview Pane.

If your terminology is calling the first column the 'Tree Pane'(instead
of the Navigation pane) the Mail icon needs to be the active selection
for the accounts to appear to have the Add Account option.

If your terminology calling the 2nd column the 'Tree Pane'(instead of the
Folder pane' then as long as long as that pane is present showing the
Favorites, and account folders, nothing else needs to be selected to have
the Add accounts option(i.e. Always there, never grayed out)

Thre OP(The Chief) mentioned not being able to find how to edit and
existing account. Once an account is configured properly no other
settings modifications are available. If an account is misconfigured
during setup and does not function, the account needs to be removed,
added anew and configured properly - Outlook.com type
accounts(Outlook/Hotmail/Live/MSn.com and 3rd party email account
registered as an MSA use auto-configure as Exchange, all other accounts
use the protocol determined by the domain server but never POP3(i.e.
IMAP, unless the account is a supported work/school with afiak would use
Exchange when the work/school account is admin configured properly)

I can repeatedly remove and add a Yahoo account letting it autoconfigure,
authenticate for syncing, and setup
- Once configured the Yahoo account, just like a Gmail account
setup(sync for email, Contacts, Calendar) the Yahoo account setup yields
a functional email(send, receive, etc), a People/Contacts synced with the
Yahoo account's online contacts and a Calendar synced with Yahoo counts
online calendar.
- Note: For People/Contacts each account has its own unique and
accessible People/Contacts and Calendar, not mixed or merged. The account
used to send an email uses that accounts Contacts/People.

--