From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: “What_was_the_code_name_for_64-bit_Windows?
”_by_Raymond_Chen
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:21:51 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:21 UTC

“What was the code name for 64-bit Windows?” by Raymond Chen
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20231205-00/?p=109103

Heh.

Lynn

Re: ?What was the code name for 64-bit Windows?? by Raymond Chen

<sft1nit03qkutsjs4iuu8vp7tfemncbesg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3933&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3933

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: ???What was the code name for 64-bit Windows???? by Raymond Chen
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 17:40:55 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:40 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>“What was the code name for 64-bit Windows?” by Raymond Chen
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20231205-00/?p=109103
>
>Heh.

Say what you will about M$, but they want Windows to be a real OS,
competitive in serious use to Linux or any other OS, how they manage
to incorporate so much and have it run smoothly, I can't honestly say,
but I have nevertheless found Linux to have a more common sense,
lighter architecture, and thus not just a resource hog as Windows
increases in being constantly. A lot of folks will say that, using
the present as an example, continuing to run Windows 10 is the answer.
But I thought the point of running M$ was to have the bleeding edge of
desktop computing - that's Win11, today, soon to be 12. The way one
hits a dead end with Windows OS upgrades on same hardware makes the
whole point of having it lost. Linux doesn't do that.

--
Joel W. Crump

Re: “What was the code name for 64-bit Windows?” by Raymond Chen

<ukqvao$uvkr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3934&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3934

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re:_“What_was_the_code_name_for_64-bit_Windows?
”_by_Raymond_Chen
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:15:30 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:15 UTC

Joel wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> “What was the code name for 64-bit Windows?” by Raymond Chen
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20231205-00/?p=109103
>>
>> Heh.
>

> Say what you will about M$, but they want Windows to be a real OS,
> competitive in serious use to Linux or any other OS, how they manage
> to incorporate so much and have it run smoothly, I can't honestly say,
> but I have nevertheless found Linux to have a more common sense,
> lighter architecture, and thus not just a resource hog as Windows
> increases in being constantly. A lot of folks will say that, using
> the present as an example, continuing to run Windows 10 is the answer.
> But I thought the point of running M$ was to have the bleeding edge of
> desktop computing - that's Win11, today, soon to be 12. The way one
> hits a dead end with Windows OS upgrades on same hardware makes the
> whole point of having it lost.

But that's the whole point of Microsoft's existence! Make the current
hardware and software obsolete, so you can sell new stuff to the poor users.

--
Graham J