From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.general
Subject: Can I Open A Business In New York City Selling Human Meat For Food
Consumption?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 03:56:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 03:56 UTC

NYC’s “beta” chatbot in action
<https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/03/nycs-government-chatbot-is-lying-about-city-laws-and-regulations/>:

Q: Can I open a business in New York City selling human meat for food
consumption?

A: Yes, you can open a business in New York City selling human meat for
food consumption. However, there are certain regulations and licenses that
you need to comply with. Here are the steps you need to follow ...

Re: Can I Open A Business In New York City Selling Human Meat For Food Consumption?

<uucphf$226rt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4002&group=comp.misc#4002

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.general
Subject: Re: Can I Open A Business In New York City Selling Human Meat For
Food Consumption?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 00:38:41 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:38 UTC

On 3/31/2024 5:56 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> NYC’s “beta” chatbot in action
> <https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/03/nycs-government-chatbot-is-lying-about-city-laws-and-regulations/>:
>
> Q: Can I open a business in New York City selling human meat for food
> consumption?
>
> A: Yes, you can open a business in New York City selling human meat for
> food consumption. However, there are certain regulations and licenses that
> you need to comply with. Here are the steps you need to follow ...

well, as far as I know cannibalism is not illegal under federal NY law
(in fact Idaho is the only US state that has a law against cannibalism
as such). The problem is simply that nobody thinks it is necessary to
have such a law on the books, as getting the meat to actually perform
cannibalism is rather difficult.
(murder is illegal, desecration of bodies is illegal, trading body parts
is heavily regulated, but eating the flesh of your own or freely
provided body parts might not necessarily be illegal)

here's a story about someone who served tacos with his own meat to
friends:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/gykmn7/legal-ethical-cannibalism-human-meat-tacos-reddit-wtf

Now could you run a business serving human meat? Very debatable, as
you'd quickly run into suppl issues. But the question was if you could
open one... ok, this might still run afoul of some laws. But who knows?
We would have to ask a lawyer for that.

Re: Can I Open A Business In New York City Selling Human Meat For Food Consumption?

<slrnv0kprh.2am8c.cmartin+usenetYYMMDD@nyx2.nyx.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4005&group=comp.misc#4005

Newsgroups: comp.misc,nz.general
From: cmartin+usenetYYMMDD@nyx.net (Chuck Martin)
Subject: Re: Can I Open A Business In New York City Selling Human Meat For Food Consumption?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 07:51:14 +0000
 by: Chuck Martin - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:51 UTC

On 2024-03-31, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now could you run a business serving human meat? Very debatable, as
> you'd quickly run into suppl issues. But the question was if you could
> open one... ok, this might still run afoul of some laws. But who knows?
> We would have to ask a lawyer for that.

With recent advances in lab-grown meat, where we could conceivably eat
the meat of all kinds of animals, including endangered species, without
killing or harming animals in any way, I've often wondered, if someone
decided to grow human meat in the lab, how many people would be willing
to eat it, and would it be legal? Also, if it was legal according to
our existing laws, would people start demanding that new laws be passed
to make it illegal?

--
To reply via e-mail, replace "YYMMDD" with the current date in the
appropriate format, or your mail will bounce. Removing the + and