From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: China: Government Starts Phasing Out American Processors,
Operating Systems on Government Computers
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:06:52 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 15:06 UTC

On 2/04/2024 12:24 am, Governor Swill wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 00:25:14 +1100, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> But if their warnings are taken seriously and acted upon?
>>>
>>> The global cooling climate change proponents of the nineteen sixties and seventies saw
>>> government act to remove from their exhausts those chemicals and particulates that caused
>>> planetary cooling.
>>
>> There were no global cooling climate change proponents.
>
> Yes. There were.
>
> "On April 28, 1975, Newsweek published an article called, “The Cooling World,” in which
> writer and science editor, Peter Gwynne, described a significant chilling of the world’s
> climate, with evidence “accumulating so massively that meteorologists are hard-pressed to
> keep up with it.”"
> <https://fox59.com/news/national-world/what-climate-scientists-were-predicting-in-the-1970s/>

You are confusing alarmist twaddle - designed to attract the reader's
attention and get more of them to buy that copy of Newsweek - with some
sort of popular or widely held opinion. I was around then, and read one
or two of those sorts of articles, and didn't take them seriously, and
nobody else did either. I'd got my Ph.D. in chemistry by then, and had
actually met H.S. Johnson - he'd been the overseas examiner on my Ph.D.
thesis - so my opinion was tolerably well-informed.

> This prediction turned out to be baseless. Nevertheless, reducing sulphur in auto and
> coal plant emissions as well as reducing particulates has allowed more solar heating of
> the surface. Are there no effects from the change in oxides of nitrogen emissions?

https://naei.beis.gov.uk/overview/ghg-overview

lists seven direct greenhouse gases and four more that have indirect
effects. Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a direct greenhouse gas and the nitrogen
oxides (No, N2O3 and NO2) have indirect effects.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney