An authority is a person who can tell you more about something than you really care to know.

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / USENET considered near death

SubjectAuthor
* USENET considered near deathJulieta Shem
+* USENET considered near deathAndrew
|+* USENET considered near deathRetro Guy
||+* USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|||`- USENET considered near deathScott Dorsey
||`* USENET considered near deathRichard Harnden
|| `- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|+- USENET considered near deathD
|+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|`* USENET considered near deathcandycanearter07
| `* USENET considered near deathAdam H. Kerman
|  +* USENET considered near deathJulieta Shem
|  |+* USENET considered near deathTom Furie
|  ||`- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|  |`- USENET considered near deathcandycanearter07
|  `* USENET considered near deathD
|   `* USENET considered near deathBlueshirt
|    `- USENET considered near deathD
+* USENET considered near deathRetro Guy
|+* USENET considered near deathMarco Moock
||`* USENET considered near deathRetro Guy
|| `- USENET considered near deathIvo Gandolfo
|+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|`* USENET considered near deathAndy Burns
| +- USENET considered near deathRetro Guy
| `- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
+- USENET considered near deathD
+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
+* USENET considered near deathBlueshirt
|+* USENET considered near deathrek2 hispagatos
||+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
||`* USENET considered near deathAndy Burns
|| `- USENET considered near deathGrant Taylor
|`- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
+* USENET considered near deathRichard Harnden
|+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|`- USENET considered near deathD
+* USENET considered near deathnoel
|+- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
|`* USENET considered near deathJulieta Shem
| `* USENET considered near deathnoel
|  `* USENET considered near deathJulieta Shem
|   `- USENET considered near deathThe Doctor
+- USENET considered near deathRichard Harnden
`* USENET considered near death - SlashdotAndrew
 +* USENET considered near death - SlashdotAndy Burns
 |+- USENET considered near death - SlashdotThe Doctor
 |`* USENET considered near death - SlashdotAndrew
 | `- USENET considered near death - SlashdotD
 +* USENET considered near death - SlashdotThe Doctor
 |`- USENET considered near death - SlashdotBlueshirt
 +* USENET considered near death - SlashdotD
 |`- USENET considered near death - Slashdotimmibis
 `* USENET considered near death - SlashdotRichard Harnden
  +- USENET considered near death - SlashdotAndrew
  `- USENET considered near death - SlashdotD

Pages:123
USENET considered near death

<87fs029s01.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4085&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4085

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: USENET considered near death
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 10:49:50 -0300
sha1:y98jymsodkFtbPzqTqciowiyAiI=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:49 UTC

Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
Author: Rob Pegoraro
Date: December 16, 2023

In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of Usenet’s
developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin, shrugging off its
possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20 years is a great run
for anything.”

Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.

Source:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkbc5$6gcm$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4086&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4086

From: Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov (Andrew)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Re: USENET considered near death
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:14:29 +0100
 by: Andrew - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

Julieta Shem wrote:

> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
> Author: Rob Pegoraro
> Date: December 16, 2023

> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of Usenet’s
> developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin, shrugging off its
> possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20 years is a great run
> for anything.”
>
> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>
> Source:
> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.

Re: USENET considered near death

<95a3824930f0e7c413e1c02fb7db97fb@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4087&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4087

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:17:58 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:17 UTC

Julieta Shem wrote:

> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
> Author: Rob Pegoraro
> Date: December 16, 2023
<snip>
> Source:
> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

I don't think Usenet is going anywhere. google-groups was a false inflation in Usenet numbers. Most ppl there had no idea what is Usenet. I'm guessing some do not understand the notification message they're seeing.

Others are signing up at real news servers. I know I'm seeing an increase in new users on my servers, and I believe others are also.

Usenet may die when the last of us running servers that were Usenet users way back are finally gone. That might not be too long in the future, but a few decades at least.

--
Retro Guy

Re: USENET considered near death

<cdcc00e0023090240e0af63d0429ee8d$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4088&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4088

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:23:27 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:23 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:14:29 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> Julieta Shem wrote:
>>
>> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>> Date: December 16, 2023

>> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of
>> Usenet’s developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin,
>> shrugging off its possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20
>> years is a great run for anything.”
>>
>> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-
support

> That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.

Yep. It reads (to me anyway) as, "Google disconnects from Usenet, no way
Usenet can survive without them."

You would think the author would have taken the time to read in some
news.* groups and find out what's going on. My guess is he has no idea
about the spam problem, no idea that people are standing up to maintain
Usenet despite the (basically) attacks from Google. I doubt he has read a
newsgroup in many years, at least not via ggroups.

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkd5s$2ei7f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4089&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4089

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:45:16 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:45 UTC

Am 16.12.2023 um 14:17:58 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:

> Others are signing up at real news servers. I know I'm seeing an
> increase in new users on my servers, and I believe others are also.

How much did that since yesterday?

How much in the past?

Re: USENET considered near death

<81f1d001bd136fb3d58814db887073ee@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4090&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4090

From: J@M (D)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:48:46 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:48 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:14:29 +0100, Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Julieta Shem wrote:
>> Source:
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
>
>That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.

they want to keep their bosses happy . . . temporality is continually dying,
and the infallible council may continue changing their minds without notice

Re: USENET considered near death

<2e05fd17f5292c61c7ec07ab78a3ebd4@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4091&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4091

From: J@M (D)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:53:46 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:53 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 10:49:50 -0300, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
>https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

(using Tor Browser 13.0.6 to open this suspicious link)
https://uk.pcmag.com/social-media/150146/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
[end quote]

Re: USENET considered near death

<9e8527b0b8f8187112b7ba7f370acb7f$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4092&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4092

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:04:38 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:04 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:45:16 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 16.12.2023 um 14:17:58 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:
>
>> Others are signing up at real news servers. I know I'm seeing an
>> increase in new users on my servers, and I believe others are also.
>
> How much did that since yesterday?
>
> How much in the past?

My servers are not well known and small, so the numbers are small, but I
see a 650% increase in daily sign-ups yesterday.

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkfef$2tp6$22@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4094&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4094

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:23:59 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:23 UTC

In article <87fs029s01.fsf@yaxenu.org>, Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:

> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>Author: Rob Pegoraro
> Date: December 16, 2023
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of Usenet’s
>developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin, shrugging off its
>possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20 years is a great run
>for anything.”
>
>Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>Source:
>https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

Google drops, nothing ended.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkfia$2tp6$23@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4095&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4095

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:26:02 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:26 UTC

In article <ulkbc5$6gcm$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
Andrew <Doug@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Julieta Shem wrote:
>>
>> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>> Date: December 16, 2023

>> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of Usenet’s
>> developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin, shrugging off its
>> possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20 years is a great run
>> for anything.”
>>
>> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
>>

>That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.

Exactly!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkfj8$2tp6$24@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4096&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4096

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:26:32 -0000 (UTC)

In article <95a3824930f0e7c413e1c02fb7db97fb@news.novabbs.org>,
Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:
>Julieta Shem wrote:
>
>> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>> Date: December 16, 2023
><snip>
>> Source:
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
>
>I don't think Usenet is going anywhere. google-groups was a false
>inflation in Usenet numbers. Most ppl there had no idea what is Usenet.
>I'm guessing some do not understand the notification message they're
>seeing.
>
>Others are signing up at real news servers. I know I'm seeing an
>increase in new users on my servers, and I believe others are also.
>
>Usenet may die when the last of us running servers that were Usenet
>users way back are finally gone. That might not be too long in the
>future, but a few decades at least.

Spot on correct!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkfk6$2tp6$25@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4097&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4097

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:27:02 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:27 UTC

In article <cdcc00e0023090240e0af63d0429ee8d$1@news.novabbs.org>,
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:14:29 +0100, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Julieta Shem wrote:
>>>
>>> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>>> Date: December 16, 2023
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>>> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of
>>> Usenet’s developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin,
>>> shrugging off its possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20
>>> years is a great run for anything.”
>>>
>>> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-
>support
>>>

>> That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.
>
>Yep. It reads (to me anyway) as, "Google disconnects from Usenet, no way
>Usenet can survive without them."

Bull!!

>You would think the author would have taken the time to read in some
>news.* groups and find out what's going on. My guess is he has no idea
>about the spam problem, no idea that people are standing up to maintain
>Usenet despite the (basically) attacks from Google. I doubt he has read a
>newsgroup in many years, at least not via ggroups.

The ill informed needs an education!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ku5v6pFfmgmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4099&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4099

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:48:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:48 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> I'm seeing an increase in new users on my servers

Where I've noticed any posters saying the end of G2 might mean they
leave usenet altogether, I've been pointing them to a relevant group on
your servers ...

Re: USENET considered near death

<f7cd0aa9f03de207ab42e826d6aff397$1@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4100&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4100

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:02:05 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:02 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:48:40 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing an increase in new users on my servers
>
> Where I've noticed any posters saying the end of G2 might mean they
> leave usenet altogether, I've been pointing them to a relevant group on
> your servers ...

I wouldn't doubt that a majority will no longer post to groups that are
part of Usenet. They may or may not be aware of Usenet, but they'll just
move on to other web based forums which will most likely be a walled
garden that disappears when the site disappears.

The chatter in groups over the last couple of months with g-g users trying
to drag ppl to facebook or reddit instead of a real Usenet server shows
how some think.

Btw, when I mention "my servers" I'm really meaning news.i2pn2.org. I
consider the websites that sync with Usenet to be websites (yes, I know
they run on servers :)

At least with my forums, I could turn into a huge a-hole and start banning
ppl, but they could just find all the groups elsewhere, with all the
messages intact, unlike f-book, reddit, etc.

Re: USENET considered near death

<nnd$38ca27c8$3af7290f@32d74c3a4656ea04>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4102&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4102

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:32:41 +0100
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.hispagatos.org!news.nntp4.net!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!2001:67c:174:101:1:67:202:6.MISMATCH!feed.abavia.com!abe006.abavia.com!abp002.abavia.com!reseller!not-for-mail
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:32 UTC

Julieta Shem wrote:

> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
> Author: Rob Pegoraro
> Date: December 16, 2023

> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of
> Usenet’s developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin,
> shrugging off its possible demise: “Times and technologies
> change--20 years is a great run for anything.”
>
> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>
> Source:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support

What an ignorant article... clearly written by somebody who never
understood what Usenet actually was and wasn't. Google Groups was
never Usenet. Anybody believing otherwise is just plain ignorant.

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkjop$1p42e$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4104&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4104

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:37:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:37 UTC

> What an ignorant article... clearly written by somebody who never
> understood what Usenet actually was and wasn't. Google Groups was
> never Usenet. Anybody believing otherwise is just plain ignorant.

I agree 100% also Usenet is having a comeback people is tired of bloated web
pages with trackers and cookies and shit.

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkjvm$65d$20@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4107&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4107

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:41:26 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:41 UTC

In article <ku5v6pFfmgmU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>Retro Guy wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing an increase in new users on my servers
>
>Where I've noticed any posters saying the end of G2 might mean they
>leave usenet altogether, I've been pointing them to a relevant group on
>your servers ...

Those are the cheap spamtrollers!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkk35$65d$21@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4108&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4108

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:43:17 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

In article <nnd$38ca27c8$3af7290f@32d74c3a4656ea04>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Julieta Shem wrote:
>

>> Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>> Date: December 16, 2023

>> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of
>> Usenet’s developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin,
>> shrugging off its possible demise: “Times and technologies
>> change--20 years is a great run for anything.”
>>
>> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>>
>> Source:
>>
>https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
>
>What an ignorant article... clearly written by somebody who never
>understood what Usenet actually was and wasn't. Google Groups was
>never Usenet. Anybody believing otherwise is just plain ignorant.

Any comment areas?

Nope! time for a SM rant!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkk40$65d$22@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4109&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4109

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:43:45 -0000 (UTC)

In article <ulkjop$1p42e$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>,
rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org> wrote:

>> What an ignorant article... clearly written by somebody who never
>> understood what Usenet actually was and wasn't. Google Groups was
>> never Usenet. Anybody believing otherwise is just plain ignorant.
>
>I agree 100% also Usenet is having a comeback people is tired of bloated web
>pages with trackers and cookies and stuff.

pcmag is out to lunch!

>--
>- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
>- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2
>- https://keyoxide.org/A31C7CE19D9C58084EA42BA26C0B0D11E9303EC5

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: USENET considered near death

<ku64mhFigr9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4110&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4110

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:22:24 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:22 UTC

rek2 hispagatos wrote:

> I agree 100% also Usenet is having a comeback people is tired of bloated web
> pages with trackers and cookies and shit.

At best, some old-time users coming back, but I've seen a couple of "If
google goes, I'll probably give-up" responses.

Not many new/young users around ... and I sense the old timers don't
want to invite people who can't find it for themselves?

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkort$2ge36$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4112&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4112

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:04:45 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:04 UTC

On 12/16/23 08:14, Andrew wrote:
> Julieta Shem wrote:
>>
>>   Title: End of an Era: Google Groups to Drop Usenet Support
>> Author: Rob Pegoraro
>>    Date: December 16, 2023

>> In early 2000, I wrote a column for the Washington Post about the
>> growing uselessness of many newsgroups in which I quoted one of Usenet’s
>> developers, computer-science professor Steve Bellovin, shrugging off its
>> possible demise: “Times and technologies change--20 years is a great run
>> for anything.”
>>
>> Almost 24 years later, that quote has held up better than Usenet.
>>
>> Source:
>> https://www.pcmag.com/news/end-of-an-era-google-groups-to-drop-usenet-support
>>

> That article totally misses the point, absolutely clueless.

And this is what I was worried about, potential new users seeing this
and writing off Usenet as a dead service. Most people probably didn't
know what Usenet was beforehand..

Re: USENET considered near death

<ulkpl8$2glj2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4113&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4113

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:18:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:18 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>>. . .

>And this is what I was worried about, potential new users seeing this
>and writing off Usenet as a dead service. Most people probably didn't
>know what Usenet was beforehand..

Surely you can find something else to worry about. How about that asteroid
collision that will trigger an apolyptic event?

Can everyone help the O.P. by suggesting things to be overly dramatic
about?

Re: USENET considered near death

<87il4y7zx1.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4115&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4115

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:41:46 -0300
sha1:jZgu8boWx8yJeoYtH81O5EwTzMI=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:41 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

[...]

>> And this is what I was worried about, potential new users seeing this
>> and writing off Usenet as a dead service. Most people probably didn't
>> know what Usenet was beforehand..

Remember that potential users had not even heard of USENET until now
that Google gave it this amazing press (of the new dead thing). We
could discover that people love dead things or things that won't die.
Die Hard was a popular movie some time. Speaking of movies...

> Surely you can find something else to worry about. How about that asteroid
> collision that will trigger an [apocalyptic] event?
>
> Can everyone help the O.P. by suggesting things to be overly dramatic
> about?

One suggestion that follows-up on yours is to watch Melancholia from
2011. Here's the official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZGwvxhXvw

Re: USENET considered near death

<20231216.185111.2e243519@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4116&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4116

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:51:11 +0000
From: noreply@mixmin.net (D)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:51 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:18:16 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>>>. . .
>>And this is what I was worried about, potential new users seeing this
>>and writing off Usenet as a dead service. Most people probably didn't
>>know what Usenet was beforehand..
>
>Surely you can find something else to worry about. How about that asteroid
>collision that will trigger an apolyptic event?
>Can everyone help the O.P. by suggesting things to be overly dramatic
>about?

a cheerful lying in state ceremony could be held after the 22 february
deadline ... here lyeth google2news ... diis manibus ... rest in peace

Re: USENET considered near death

<nnd$1ff8319e$33529ca0@3488570c01038f6b>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4117&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#4117

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:56:58 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:56 UTC

D wrote:

> a cheerful lying in state ceremony could be held after the 22
> february deadline ... here lyeth google2news ... diis manibus ...
> rest in peace

You forgot the 'good riddance' bit...