From: gfretwell@aol.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Warez?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:49:35 -0500
 by: gfretwell@aol.com - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:49 UTC

In the 21st century, does anyone really trust an executable they got
from a shady source on the internet?
I understand decades ago, there were folks who put cracked versions on
the internet that were clean just as an ego trip or to stick it to the
"man".
Now days I would count on 99% of them to just be a trojan, worm or
some other malware.

Re: Warez?

<onscni5eivunlhjda9qkhvq302id0oc9fi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4142&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#4142

From: marcus@invalid.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Warez?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:33:58 -0600
 by: marcus@invalid.com - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 02:33 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:49:35 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>In the 21st century, does anyone really trust an executable they got
>from a shady source on the internet?
>I understand decades ago, there were folks who put cracked versions on
>the internet that were clean just as an ego trip or to stick it to the "man".

A few decades back I got tons of great programs through a few trusted
warez groups. I don't remember if any were bad stuff when checked
with an AV, but that's how safe it was back then. I still have many
of them that I use every day. Today, I wouldn't go near such groups
or sites. Too many people have gotten too mean and nasty since then.
Trust no AV or any other so-called security program. The present day
virus spreading bums are usually ahead of those "security" programs.

>Now days I would count on 99% of them to just be a trojan, worm or
>some other malware.

Re: Warez?

<affea067-f456-44d0-b12b-cfcd4c24fa52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4172&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#4172

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:54:40 -0800 (PST)
From: drlmccoymd@gmail.com (mike mike)
 by: mike mike - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:54 UTC

On Sunday, December 10, 2023 at 7:34:03 PM UTC-7, mar...@invalid.com wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:49:35 -0500, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
>
> >In the 21st century, does anyone really trust an executable they got
> >from a shady source on the internet?
> >I understand decades ago, there were folks who put cracked versions on
> >the internet that were clean just as an ego trip or to stick it to the "man".
> A few decades back I got tons of great programs through a few trusted
> warez groups. I don't remember if any were bad stuff when checked
> with an AV, but that's how safe it was back then. I still have many
> of them that I use every day. Today, I wouldn't go near such groups
> or sites. Too many people have gotten too mean and nasty since then.
> Trust no AV or any other so-called security program. The present day
> virus spreading bums are usually ahead of those "security" programs.
> >Now days I would count on 99% of them to just be a trojan, worm or
> >some other malware.

I got the best firewall I ever had from a warez site decades ago, black ice defender.

Re: Warez?

<-T2dnegiX4FFAR74nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4219&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#4219

From: mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 02:03:04 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 02:03 UTC

mar...@invalid.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:49:35 -0500, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In the 21st century, does anyone really trust an executable they
got
> > from a shady source on the internet?
> > I understand decades ago, there were folks who put cracked
versions on
> > the internet that were clean just as an ego trip or to stick it
to the "man".
> > A few decades back I got tons of great programs through a few
trusted
> > warez groups. I don't remember if any were bad stuff when
checked
> > with an AV, but that's how safe it was back then. I still have
many
> > of them that I use every day. Today, I wouldn't go near such
groups
> > or sites. Too many people have gotten too mean and nasty since
then.
> > Trust no AV or any other so-called security program. The present
day
> > virus spreading bums are usually ahead of those
"security" programs.
> > Now days I would count on 99% of them to just be a trojan, worm
or
> > some other malware.
> >
> mike mike wrote:
>

> I got the best firewall I ever had from a warez site decades ago,
black ice defender.

What makes it better than any other - just curious because I’ve never
used it

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657223728#657223728