Just go with the flow control, roll with the crunches, and, when you get a prompt, type like hell.

computers / comp.misc / Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

SubjectAuthor
* The Continuous Amnesia IssueBen Collver
+* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
|`* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueKerr-Mudd, John
| `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
|  `- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
+* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueJavier
|`* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
| `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
|  `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
|   +* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
|   |+* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
|   ||`- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
|   |`* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueScott Dorsey
|   | `- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueD
|   `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueScott Alfter
|    +- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
|    `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueDave Yeo
|     `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
|      `* Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueDave Yeo
|       `- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueLawrence D'Oliveiro
+- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueStefan Ram
+* Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Lawrence D'Oliveiro
|+* Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Richard Kettlewell
||+* Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Stefan Ram
|||`* Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Stefan Ram
||| `- Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Lawrence D'Oliveiro
||+- Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Stefan Ram
||`* Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Ben Collver
|| `- Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Richard Kettlewell
|`- Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)Scott Dorsey
+- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueEric Pozharski
`- Re: The Continuous Amnesia IssueEric Pozharski

Pages:12
Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<v01ba4$m6o$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4167&group=comp.misc#4167

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue
Date: 20 Apr 2024 21:15:48 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:15 UTC

In article <7c490eda-e041-8cdd-5bcf-5b886a32f65f@example.net>,
D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 2024, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:03:26 +0200, D wrote:
>>
>>> Do note that in europe the fashion du jour is to appoint children to
>>> senior political office ...
>>
>> They tend to score higher on measures of democracy than the US does,
>> though.
>
>And lower on freedom.

Depends. If you look at the total percentage of population currently
incarcerated, the US is an order of magnitude higher than any European
country.

On the other hand, the US does have some interesting protections that
most European countries don't have. That's mostly not a problem there,
but situations can be imagined where it might become one.

It really is interesting seeing how much Americans are just plain afraid
of things in ways that Europeans aren't.
--scott

Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<v01gbs$3t449$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4168&group=comp.misc#4168

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:42:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:42 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:05:31 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Didn't your declaration of independence start out with all men are
> equal?

Remember, the authors of that were mostly slave owners. By “men” they
meant “white men”. They didn’t mean “nonwhites” and they didn’t mean
“women”.

It was a “democracy” in the original, Athenian sense. Not the way it is
understood in actual democracies these days.

Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<wxYUN.10152$kQxc.1262@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4169&group=comp.misc#4169

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: dave.r.yeo@gmail.com (Dave Yeo)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:50:44 -0700
 by: Dave Yeo - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:50 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:05:31 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Didn't your declaration of independence start out with all men are
>> equal?
>
> Remember, the authors of that were mostly slave owners. By “men” they
> meant “white men”. They didn’t mean “nonwhites” and they didn’t mean
> “women”.
>
> It was a “democracy” in the original, Athenian sense. Not the way it is
> understood in actual democracies these days.

You mean where slaves had rights, a course to citizenship and could buy
their freedom, as well being protected from violence by the State? Also
not a racial thing.
Dave

Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<v01snm$335k$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4170&group=comp.misc#4170

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 02:13:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 02:13 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:50:44 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:05:31 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>>> Didn't your declaration of independence start out with all men are
>>> equal?
>>
>> Remember, the authors of that were mostly slave owners. By “men” they
>> meant “white men”. They didn’t mean “nonwhites” and they didn’t mean
>> “women”.
>>
>> It was a “democracy” in the original, Athenian sense. Not the way it is
>> understood in actual democracies these days.
>>
> You mean where slaves had rights, a course to citizenship and could buy
> their freedom, as well being protected from violence by the State? Also
> not a racial thing.

OK, the Dumbfuckistani Founding Fathers missed that bit. ;)

Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<6e79c719-731a-2f6c-b829-56a5f2ca52e0@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4171&group=comp.misc#4171

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:24:49 +0200
 by: D - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:24 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In article <7c490eda-e041-8cdd-5bcf-5b886a32f65f@example.net>,
> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>>> They tend to score higher on measures of democracy than the US does,
>>> though.
>>
>> And lower on freedom.
>
> Depends. If you look at the total percentage of population currently
> incarcerated, the US is an order of magnitude higher than any European
> country.

Oh how I would wish that europe in general, and sweden in particular, had
more people incarcerated. Shootings and bombings by criminal immigrant
gangs is sky rocketing in sweden and the police has lost control
completely.

> On the other hand, the US does have some interesting protections that
> most European countries don't have. That's mostly not a problem there,
> but situations can be imagined where it might become one.
>
> It really is interesting seeing how much Americans are just plain afraid
> of things in ways that Europeans aren't.

And the reverse I'd say. many europeans have trouble sleeping due to
Donald Trump and americans being allowed to own guns.

> --scott

Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)

<v03bc6$gh8$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4173&group=comp.misc#4173

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Code Reuse (was Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue)
Date: 21 Apr 2024 15:29:10 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:29 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:34:53 -0000 (UTC), Ben Collver wrote:
>
>> The discussion moved at a level as if nobody ever had said or written a
>> single word about reusability in the past 50 years.
>
>That’s because most of that 50 years was spent talking about it, not
>actually doing it.

In the eighties, everybody was talking about code reuse and how it would
be the future and how all of our problems would go away.

Not we have people throwing together code that consists entirely of library
calls without actually understanding what those library calls are really doing.

>I think the problem is pretty much solved now. Open Source has become the
>established way to develop most parts of the software stack (except
>perhaps the most specialized bits at the top). And code reuse follows very
>naturally from the ability to share, modify and redistribute other
>people’s code.

There isn't enough modification and redistribution. We need to add two
numbers, so why not just link in this giant math library?
--scott

Re: The Continuous Amnesia Issue

<slrnv2el1e.ol8.apple.universe@freight.zombinet>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4190&group=comp.misc#4190

From: apple.universe@posteo.net (Eric Pozharski)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 06:24:46 +0000
 by: Eric Pozharski - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 06:24 UTC

with <slrnv1rafb.3l3.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain> Ben Collver wrote:

*SKIP* [ 2 lines 1 level deep]
> by Uwe Friedrichsen October 2, 2020

Sure thing, topic should be discussed with whoever started it. Not
going to happen, I guess.

*SKIP* [ 72 lines 1 level deep]

> What happened? It kept me a while thinking. Eventually, I realized
> that I had observed a disease of our whole industry in its purest
> form: We continuously forget what we have learned. We always reinvent
> everything from scratch. My personal observation is that discussions
> in the IT community start over about every 5 years [1]. That is how
> long we remember as a community. After that we need to rediscover your
> insights from scratch.

One thing must be made prominent: People who fancy cons are not
representative sample of The Cheap Laborforce of The Industry. With
this notion I conclude that people who fall in this slot tend to burn
out in five years (for whatever reasons). But that's OK, they are
promptly replaced with new ones.

*CUT* [164 lines 2 levels deep]