"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

computers / comp.misc / Re: Facebook gets more useless

SubjectAuthor
* Facebook gets more uselessJim Jackson
+* Re: Facebook gets more uselessRich
|`- Re: Facebook gets more uselessThe Real Bev
+* Re: Facebook gets more uselessThe Real Bev
|+* Re: Facebook gets more uselesscandycanearter07
||`* Re: Facebook gets more uselessThe Real Bev
|| `* Re: Facebook gets more uselesscandycanearter07
||  `* Re: Facebook gets more uselessThe Real Bev
||   `- Re: Facebook gets more uselesscandycanearter07
|`- Re: Facebook gets more uselessJim Jackson
`- Re: Facebook gets more uselessD

1
Facebook gets more useless

<slrnv2cce4.23d.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4176&group=comp.misc#4176

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Facebook gets more useless
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:45:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:45 UTC

I know - don't use it! But ...

Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
stuff in my feed.

Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
to see painfull.

The more I see of facebook the less I like.

sorry for the rant

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v0670d$12nqt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4180&group=comp.misc#4180

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Facebook gets more useless
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:33:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:33 UTC

Jim Jackson <jj@franjam.org.uk> wrote:

> I know - don't use it! But ...
>
> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
> stuff in my feed.
>
> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
> to see painfull.

This is to be expected. Facebook's sole purpose for existing is to
market your eyeballs to advertisers. The more that they can keep you
"in facebook" the more money they make from those advertisers that want
to buy your eyeball time. Therefore it is profitable for them to
"suggest" all likes of "other things" for you to "be interested" in on
facebook, because if they do so, some percentage of those ads will
result in more facebook usage (translation: more eyeballs sold to
advertisers).

It may not work for you, but for the multi-million others that they
sent the same 'invites' too, a large enough share of them did "join"
yet another group such that facebook's profit increased, so from
facebook's perspective, the attempt was a positive gain for them.

> The more I see of facebook the less I like.

I saw facebook as nothing more than the "AOL" of the internet. AOL was
crapola during its time, just as facebook is crapola now. So I never
joined. Still don't have a facebook account.

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v07a8f$1dpg8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4186&group=comp.misc#4186

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:34:37 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 03:34 UTC

On 4/22/24 2:45 AM, Jim Jackson wrote:
> I know - don't use it! But ...
>
> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
> stuff in my feed.
>
> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
> to see painfull.
>
> The more I see of facebook the less I like.
>
> sorry for the rant

No need. It sucks. I've made my facebook experience as close to usenet
as I can, but it's miles away.

If you're using firefox or chrome, install the Social Fixer extension.
It will enable you to filter out a LOT of the annoying stuff -- like
anything with 'suggested' in any part of the post. You should already
be using adblock plus...

--
Cheers, Bev
This is Usenet. We *are* the trained body for dealing

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v07amk$1ds2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4187&group=comp.misc#4187

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:42:10 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 03:42 UTC

On 4/22/24 10:33 AM, Rich wrote:

> I saw facebook as nothing more than the "AOL" of the internet. AOL was
> crapola during its time, just as facebook is crapola now. So I never
> joined. Still don't have a facebook account.

I do because the people in the usenet groups I subscribed to migrated.
Some refused, and they've just disappeared. With some effort you can
eliminate pretty much everything except posts from 'friends' and perhaps
'friends of friends', but you're only likely to see the posts from the
first 30 that you've designated as favorites or something like that.

THAT's the worst thing. You can only see a subset of what you want to
see and you don't see stuff from random people -- which is one of the
good things about usenet. You get to meet interesting strangers.

Facebook sucks, but it's pretty much the only crap game in town.

--
Cheers, Bev
This is Usenet. We *are* the trained body for dealing
with psychotics. -- A. Dingley

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<4142d2c9-042c-ec41-74c6-f7bdb2353f3f@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4191&group=comp.misc#4191

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:59:57 +0200
 by: D - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:59 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Jim Jackson wrote:

> I know - don't use it! But ...
>
> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
> stuff in my feed.
>
> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
> to see painfull.
>
> The more I see of facebook the less I like.
>
> sorry for the rant

Don't use it. ;)

My sins are the fediverse and usenet instead.

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v08ids$1mbuj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4196&group=comp.misc#4196

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:00:13 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:00 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 03:34 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 4/22/24 2:45 AM, Jim Jackson wrote:
>> I know - don't use it! But ...
>>
>> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
>> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
>> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
>> stuff in my feed.
>>
>> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
>> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
>> to see painfull.
>>
>> The more I see of facebook the less I like.
>>
>> sorry for the rant
>
> No need. It sucks. I've made my facebook experience as close to usenet
> as I can, but it's miles away.
>
> If you're using firefox or chrome, install the Social Fixer extension.
> It will enable you to filter out a LOT of the annoying stuff -- like
> anything with 'suggested' in any part of the post. You should already
> be using adblock plus...

I'm suprised they haven't fought that extension yet.

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v08pec$1ntjn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4200&group=comp.misc#4200

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:59:56 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:59 UTC

On 4/23/24 8:00 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 03:34 this Tuesday (GMT):
>> On 4/22/24 2:45 AM, Jim Jackson wrote:
>>> I know - don't use it! But ...
>>>
>>> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
>>> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
>>> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
>>> stuff in my feed.
>>>
>>> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
>>> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
>>> to see painfull.
>>>
>>> The more I see of facebook the less I like.
>>>
>>> sorry for the rant
>>
>> No need. It sucks. I've made my facebook experience as close to usenet
>> as I can, but it's miles away.
>>
>> If you're using firefox or chrome, install the Social Fixer extension.
>> It will enable you to filter out a LOT of the annoying stuff -- like
>> anything with 'suggested' in any part of the post. You should already
>> be using adblock plus...
>
> I'm suprised they haven't fought that extension yet.

They made him change its name and they've done something to disable some
of the more useful bits, but it's probably not worth their time and
effort. What IS amazing is that the adblock* extensions still work. And
what's more amazing is that people complain about ads and don't use
adblocks :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"One's chances of winning the lottery are not appreciably

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v08q1g$1o4g9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4202&group=comp.misc#4202

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:10:08 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:10 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 16:59 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 4/23/24 8:00 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 03:34 this Tuesday (GMT):

>>> No need. It sucks. I've made my facebook experience as close to usenet
>>> as I can, but it's miles away.
>>>
>>> If you're using firefox or chrome, install the Social Fixer extension.
>>> It will enable you to filter out a LOT of the annoying stuff -- like
>>> anything with 'suggested' in any part of the post. You should already
>>> be using adblock plus...
>>
>> I'm suprised they haven't fought that extension yet.
>
> They made him change its name and they've done something to disable some
> of the more useful bits, but it's probably not worth their time and
> effort. What IS amazing is that the adblock* extensions still work. And
> what's more amazing is that people complain about ads and don't use
> adblocks :-(

Figures. Maybe people are scared of adblockers?

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<slrnv2ftdt.dlb.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4203&group=comp.misc#4203

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:54:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

On 2024-04-23, The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/24 2:45 AM, Jim Jackson wrote:
>> I know - don't use it! But ...
>>
>> Several groups I'm involved with use it, so I created an account.
>> Minimal, and wrong, personal info, set to just follow the groups I
>> needed to follow, and all worked fine. I was getting just the recent
>> stuff in my feed.
>>
>> Until just now, when I'm getting loads of suggestions of groups to
>> follow that I'm not interested in! It makes following the stuff I want
>> to see painfull.
>>
>> The more I see of facebook the less I like.
>>
>> sorry for the rant
>
> No need. It sucks. I've made my facebook experience as close to usenet
> as I can, but it's miles away.

yes doesn't even compare :-(

> If you're using firefox or chrome, install the Social Fixer extension.
> It will enable you to filter out a LOT of the annoying stuff -- like
> anything with 'suggested' in any part of the post. You should already
> be using adblock plus...

I use ublock origin - and don't see many adverts. But thanks for the
addon recommendation.

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v093a3$1q5i6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4205&group=comp.misc#4205

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:48:18 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

On 4/23/24 10:10 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 16:59 this Tuesday (GMT):

>>> I'm suprised they haven't fought that extension yet.
>>
>> They made him change its name and they've done something to disable some
>> of the more useful bits, but it's probably not worth their time and
>> effort. What IS amazing is that the adblock* extensions still work. And
>> what's more amazing is that people complain about ads and don't use
>> adblocks :-(
>
> Figures. Maybe people are scared of adblockers?

More likely they've never heard of them. There are tons of people who
don't even know about settings/preferences -- for any of the software
they use.

--
Cheers, Bev
"They redundantly repeated themselves over and over again

Re: Facebook gets more useless

<v09409$1qcbj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4206&group=comp.misc#4206

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:00:09 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:00 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 19:48 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On 4/23/24 10:10 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote at 16:59 this Tuesday (GMT):

>>> They made him change its name and they've done something to disable some
>>> of the more useful bits, but it's probably not worth their time and
>>> effort. What IS amazing is that the adblock* extensions still work. And
>>> what's more amazing is that people complain about ads and don't use
>>> adblocks :-(
>>
>> Figures. Maybe people are scared of adblockers?
>
> More likely they've never heard of them. There are tons of people who
> don't even know about settings/preferences -- for any of the software
> they use.

Fair. Of course, that means Google fighting them backfired a bit.