Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

SubjectAuthor
* Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Frank Slootweg
+* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.KenW
|+* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Andy Burns
||+* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Ken Blake
|||`* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Andy Burns
||| `- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.KenW
||+- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Ralph Fox
||`- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|`* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Ken Blake
| `- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Paul
|`* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Frank Slootweg
| `* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Paul
|  +- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  `- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Frank Slootweg
+- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Zaghadka
`* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Zaghadka
 `* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Ken Blake
  `* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Andy Burns
   `* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Ken Blake
    `* Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.Zaghadka
     `- Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvkl51.huc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4276&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4276

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.
Date: 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:03 UTC

I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
layout of icons on the Taskbar.

Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
very recently.

Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed

2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
Systems (KB5023706)

so I kind of suspect this update.

I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.

Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
*to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
what I'm asking about).

My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.

Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<2ujr1itfgua1a2mrpmdm5otl6vsb7pj12j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4278

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:29:38 -0600
 by: KenW - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:29 UTC

On 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote:

> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>
> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>very recently.
>
> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>
>2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>Systems (KB5023706)
>
>so I kind of suspect this update.
>
> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>
> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>*to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>what I'm asking about).
>
> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>
> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?

I can only move my program icons and not system ones.

KenW

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvkjeu$1o703$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4279&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4279

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:34:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:34 UTC

On 3/24/2023 12:03 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>
> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
> very recently.
>
> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>
> 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
> Systems (KB5023706)
>
> so I kind of suspect this update.
>
> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
> Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>
> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
> all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
> *to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
> what I'm asking about).
>
> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
> dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>
> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?

Works here. Let's see if we're talking about the same thing or not.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/xC6PRrGj/taskbar-move-icon.gif

I don't think Taskbar has a lock, and the lock might not lock out
such a behavior anyway.

Paul

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<k86216Fls86U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4280&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4280

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:38:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:38 UTC

KenW wrote:

> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>
> I can only move my program icons and not system ones.

So to speak a little more precisely, do you mean you can move items
within the taskbar, but not icons within the system tray?

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<h5or1i5i1il9gg9g86tt43c96ib8ruov7g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4282&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4282

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:43:00 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:43 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:29:38 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>
>> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>>very recently.
>>
>> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>>
>>2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>>Systems (KB5023706)
>>
>>so I kind of suspect this update.
>>
>> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>>Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>>
>> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>>all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>>*to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>>what I'm asking about).
>>
>> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>>dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>>
>> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?
>
>I can only move my program icons and not system ones.

I have only one icon on my task bar that I'd call "System." It's for
Settings. There's no problem moving it.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<iaor1itc27210g4g67fjn7n69crjiobeus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4283&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4283

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:44:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:44 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:38:59 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>KenW wrote:
>
>> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>
>> I can only move my program icons and not system ones.
>
>So to speak a little more precisely, do you mean you can move items
>within the taskbar, but not icons within the system tray?

I can also move icons within the system tray without a problem.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<1hor1i1j6hluir5p6k6l02mgeplrj3o5e0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4284&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4284

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:48:18 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:48 UTC

On 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT, in alt.comp.os.windows-11, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>
> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>very recently.
>
> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>
>2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>Systems (KB5023706)
>
>so I kind of suspect this update.

There is an uninstall update option in Apps>Advanced App
Settings>Uninstall Updates

You could test the theory, and maybe even a reinstall will fix the
glitch.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<k866rjFmi01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4285&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4285

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:01:20 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:01 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> I can also move icons within the system tray without a problem.

Depends which icons, the wired/wif/sound/battery/clock icons form an
immovable "clump". Other icons like bluetooth, onedrive, taskmanager
etc are draggable.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<ssor1idf9h2s0i7ngjm4doboikobvg8qq1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4286&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4286

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 07:15:11 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:15 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:38:59 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> KenW wrote:
>> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>
>> I can only move my program icons and not system ones.
>
> So to speak a little more precisely, do you mean you can move items
> within the taskbar, but not icons within the system tray?

I can move *program icons* which are pinned to the taskbar.
I cannot move the Windows icon or the icons next to it which you may
turn on or off at
Start >> Settings >> Personalization >> Taskbar >> 'Taskbar items'.

Screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_tvkl51__drag-icons-within-taskbar-on-win11.png>

The latter is what I assume KenW is calling the system ones.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𝘚𝘦𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬𝘴, 𝘴𝘰 𝘣𝘶𝘴𝘺 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘬?
𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘢𝘹 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘋𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<k6ur1i9a3aggnmlr3ep6ljrosj1b1thivb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4288&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4288

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:29:25 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:29 UTC

wrote:

> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>
> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>very recently.
>
> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>
>2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>Systems (KB5023706)
>
>so I kind of suspect this update.
>
> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>
> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>*to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>what I'm asking about).
>
> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>
> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?

Hmm. There were changes to the system tray (now called the notification
area) in that update.

I had no problem with moving those either, but dragging to the hidden
icon area no longer opens it. So you have to drag it to the zone's arrow
to unpin (a pin with a slash icon appears), and then move them in the
hidden icons area after you open it up. That took a bit for me to figure
out.

They are all now also permanently set at touch spacing, even if you don't
have touch.

??

I guess if you're a touch user it's an improvement.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvl1ia.jic.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4289&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4289

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 24 Mar 2023 19:35:35 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/24/2023 12:03 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
> > layout of icons on the Taskbar.
> >
> > Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
> > very recently.
> >
> > Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
> >
> > 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
> > Systems (KB5023706)
> >
> > so I kind of suspect this update.
> >
> > I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
> > Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
> >
> > Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
> > all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
> > *to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
> > what I'm asking about).
> >
> > My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
> > dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
> >
> > Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?
> >

> Works here. Let's see if we're talking about the same thing or not.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/xC6PRrGj/taskbar-move-icon.gif
>
> I don't think Taskbar has a lock, and the lock might not lock out
> such a behavior anyway.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing.

In your example you swapped - assumingly by dragging - the Thunderbird
and Notepad icons. I can't do that, they're stuck.

And let's indeed concentrate on what others called 'program icons',
i.e. of stuff like Thunderbird, etc., not icons of 'special' 'system'
stuff like Start, Search, etc.. (The latter category of icons is also
stuck, but is not my main concern at the moment.)

FTR, your winver output is the same as mine, same Version (22H2), OS
Build (22621.1413) and Home.

So far a complete mystery.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<o9vr1i1eff1aka8a6vffubqtcfcb5hd1tt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4290&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4290

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:42:55 -0600
 by: KenW - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:42 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:01:20 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I can also move icons within the system tray without a problem.
>
>Depends which icons, the wired/wif/sound/battery/clock icons form an
>immovable "clump". Other icons like bluetooth, onedrive, taskmanager
>etc are draggable.
+1

KenW

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<qovr1idms23skiu2rdcjne7qdmdb7p8d23@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4291&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4291

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:51:51 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:51 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:29:25 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT, in alt.comp.os.windows-11, Frank Slootweg
>wrote:
>
>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>
>> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>>very recently.
>>
>> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>>
>>2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>>Systems (KB5023706)
>>
>>so I kind of suspect this update.
>>
>> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>>Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>>
>> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>>all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>>*to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>>what I'm asking about).
>>
>> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>>dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>>
>> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?
>
>Hmm. There were changes to the system tray (now called the notification
>area) in that update.

It was never officially called the system tray. That was just an
informal name for it that some people used (and some still do).

>I had no problem with moving those either, but dragging to the hidden
>icon area no longer opens it. So you have to drag it to the zone's arrow
>to unpin (a pin with a slash icon appears), and then move them in the
>hidden icons area after you open it up. That took a bit for me to figure
>out.
>
>They are all now also permanently set at touch spacing, even if you don't
>have touch.
>
>??
>
>I guess if you're a touch user it's an improvement.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<k86e7eFnm9pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4292&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4292

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:07:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:07 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> It was never officially called the system tray. That was just an
> informal name for it that some people used (and some still do).

Microsoft refer to it as that in the settings app

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/win11-system-tray-settings.png>

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<gs3s1iha2ogle4h51ed35sknp3tdkccu4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4293

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:01:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:01 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:07:06 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> It was never officially called the system tray. That was just an
>> informal name for it that some people used (and some still do).
>
>Microsoft refer to it as that in the settings app
>
><http://andyburns.uk/misc/win11-system-tray-settings.png>

OK, I guess some of those people are at Microsoft.

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvlk4a$1tidp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4294&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4294

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:52:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 01:52 UTC

On 3/24/2023 3:35 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>> On 3/24/2023 12:03 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>>
>>> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>>> very recently.
>>>
>>> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>>>
>>> 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>>> Systems (KB5023706)
>>>
>>> so I kind of suspect this update.
>>>
>>> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>>> Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>>>
>>> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>>> all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>>> *to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>>> what I'm asking about).
>>>
>>> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>>> dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>>>
>>> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?
>>>

>> Works here. Let's see if we're talking about the same thing or not.
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/xC6PRrGj/taskbar-move-icon.gif
>>
>> I don't think Taskbar has a lock, and the lock might not lock out
>> such a behavior anyway.
>
> Yes, we're talking about the same thing.
>
> In your example you swapped - assumingly by dragging - the Thunderbird
> and Notepad icons. I can't do that, they're stuck.
>
> And let's indeed concentrate on what others called 'program icons',
> i.e. of stuff like Thunderbird, etc., not icons of 'special' 'system'
> stuff like Start, Search, etc.. (The latter category of icons is also
> stuck, but is not my main concern at the moment.)
>
> FTR, your winver output is the same as mine, same Version (22H2), OS
> Build (22621.1413) and Home.
>
> So far a complete mystery.

I'm not finding the right kind of answers right now in Google.

I tested in a Windows 11 VM which is mostly unmodified, and the
icons there can be moved sideways, allowing reorder of the taskbar.
There is the usual "combining" behavior as well, so there is
not a taskbar icon for each window on the screen. Similar windows
are all hidden in one icon. Like, if I have six Explorer windows
open, there is just one File Explorer icon on the Taskbar right now.

Paul

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvm3aj$22lvm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4295&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4295

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 23:11:28 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:11 UTC

Andy Burns wrote on 3/24/2023 9:38 AM:
> KenW wrote:
>
>> Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>
>> I can only move my program icons and not system ones.
>
> So to speak a little more precisely, do you mean you can move items
> within the taskbar, but not icons within the system tray?

I doubt that was the intent of that statement.
System Icons on the Taskbar that Windows by design places on the
Taskbar(or pinned by the User when available)
e.g. The Windows(blue square), the Search icon, Chat, etc).
Program icons are typically pinnable(e.g. Shortcut with properties to Pin
to Taskbar and also program *.exe are usually pinnable to Taskbar)

Icons on the right side of the Taskbar are special icons - defined as
'System Tray' icons and treated differently than Taskbar icons - they are
not 'System' icons.

As far as the op's comment - Update KB5023706 did not cause the op's
problem. No code in that update to modify the Taskbar functionality(only
DCOM and AD Domain - both updates for security reasons)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvm4is$22r4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4296&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4296

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 23:32:58 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:32 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 3/24/2023 10:43 AM:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:29:38 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> On 24 Mar 2023 16:03:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer drag icons *within* the Tasbar, i.e. to re-arrange the
>>> layout of icons on the Taskbar.
>>>
>>> Despite Google searches implying the contrary, I'm sure that worked
>>> very recently.
>>>
>>> Today I did a 'Update and restart' which installed
>>>
>>> 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>>> Systems (KB5023706)
>>>
>>> so I kind of suspect this update.
>>>
>>> I looked at the Taskbar settings (right-click on the Taskbar ->
>>> Taskbar settings), but did not find anythiing relevant.
>>>
>>> Google searches only seems to talk about drag-and-drop not working at
>>> all (but it works in File Explorer, on the Desktop, etc.) and dragging
>>> *to* the Taskbar not working (that seems the case as well, but is not
>>> what I'm asking about).
>>>
>>> My problem is dragging icons *within* the Taskbar, for example
>>> dragging a Thunderbird icon to the left or the right.
>>>
>>> Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions/fixes?
>>
>> I can only move my program icons and not system ones.
>

> I have only one icon on my task bar that I'd call "System." It's for
> Settings. There's no problem moving it.

Settings is not a System icon, it is treated like other apps, pin-able
and moveable unlike the the Windows, Search, Chat, Widgets, and Taskview
icons(which by design aren't branded as 'icons' but 'Buttons'

As far as the term 'System Tray' nomenclature.
- look in Taskbar Settings - you'll notice the nomenclature used is
'system tray' and once that configuration feature is opened/expanded,
those items are referenced as 'icons' not buttons. :)
- fyi...the term 'System Tray' was adopted by Microsoft in Windows
8(over 11 yrs. ago).

Semantics to a certain extent, but accurate terminology for Windows for
some time.
--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvm5uk$2329r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4297

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 23:56:17 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:56 UTC

Paul wrote on 3/24/2023 6:52 PM:

> I tested in a Windows 11 VM which is mostly unmodified, and the
> icons there can be moved sideways, allowing reorder of the taskbar.
> There is the usual "combining" behavior as well, so there is
> not a taskbar icon for each window on the screen. Similar windows
> are all hidden in one icon. Like, if I have six Explorer windows
> open, there is just one File Explorer icon on the Taskbar right now.
>
>    Paul

File Explorer treatment of its icons started changing some time ago when
the Taskbar feature provided the ability to pin multiple File Explorer
folders to the File Explorer icon(drag and drop was one route, rt. click
a shortcut[for a folder]).
The current File Explorer icon on the Taskbar is treated differently than
in the past(Win8/10) - drag/drop, rt. click folder shortcut no longer
pins to the File Explorer icon.
- One can pin a folder to the Taskbar per se as an individual item via
somewhat convoluted method.
(Create shortcut, Edit properties adding 'explorer' to the front of the
shortcut's Target, change icon, then use the 'Show more options' to
access 'Pin to Taskbar' item) - but it still won't pin it to the File
Explorer icon!

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvmn3u.j7s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4299

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 25 Mar 2023 10:49:32 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 10:49 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/24/2023 3:35 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> >> Works here. Let's see if we're talking about the same thing or not.
> >>
> >> [Picture]
> >>
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/xC6PRrGj/taskbar-move-icon.gif
> >>
> >> I don't think Taskbar has a lock, and the lock might not lock out
> >> such a behavior anyway.
> >
> > Yes, we're talking about the same thing.
> >
> > In your example you swapped - assumingly by dragging - the Thunderbird
> > and Notepad icons. I can't do that, they're stuck.
> >
> > And let's indeed concentrate on what others called 'program icons',
> > i.e. of stuff like Thunderbird, etc., not icons of 'special' 'system'
> > stuff like Start, Search, etc.. (The latter category of icons is also
> > stuck, but is not my main concern at the moment.)
> >
> > FTR, your winver output is the same as mine, same Version (22H2), OS
> > Build (22621.1413) and Home.
> >
> > So far a complete mystery.
>
> I'm not finding the right kind of answers right now in Google.

Yes, I didn't find anything either. As I mentioned, there are reports
of (and fixes for) *similar* problems - i.e. drag(-and-drop) related
problems - but not *this* problem, dragging 'program' icons *within* the
Taskbar.

I'll let it rest for the moment. It's more an annoyance - have to more
closely watch where I'm clicking - than a problem.

As Winston mentioned, KB5023706 (2023-03 Cumulative Update) is not
likely to be related, so I won't risk uninstalling it.

> I tested in a Windows 11 VM which is mostly unmodified, and the
> icons there can be moved sideways, allowing reorder of the taskbar.
> There is the usual "combining" behavior as well, so there is
> not a taskbar icon for each window on the screen. Similar windows
> are all hidden in one icon. Like, if I have six Explorer windows
> open, there is just one File Explorer icon on the Taskbar right now.

Yes, the "combining" behavior works as usual.

Anyway, thanks everybody for all the responses!

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<ktst1itjencquv8qbkfjl0mu4lijr07td4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4300&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4300

From: zaghadka@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:23:01 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 13:23 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:01:35 -0700, in alt.comp.os.windows-11, Ken Blake
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:07:06 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> It was never officially called the system tray. That was just an
>>> informal name for it that some people used (and some still do).
>>
>>Microsoft refer to it as that in the settings app
>>
>><http://andyburns.uk/misc/win11-system-tray-settings.png>
>

>OK, I guess some of those people are at Microsoft.

So do most third-party developers. Amazon Music specifically mentions
"minimize to the system tray" in its settings for instance. Thunderbird
asks to "show a tray icon."

I beg to differ that it is "some people." It's "most people and
developers." The latter being the most important.

But yeah, it's apparently never been "officially" called that. Fair
point. It's officially called the "notification area."

Lately, I have noticed a push to call it the "notification area" in
guides, and thus pointed it out because you need to Google on that to get
a complete answer these days.

AFAIC, horse. barn. left. Official doesn't matter when you're giving tech
support for third-party applications and it's the _de facto_ name for it.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.

<tvni4r$2af9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4304&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4304

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:30:31 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 19:30 UTC

Zaghadka wrote on 3/25/2023 6:23 AM:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:01:35 -0700, in alt.comp.os.windows-11, Ken Blake
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:07:06 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Microsoft refer to it as that in the settings app
>>>
>>> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/win11-system-tray-settings.png>
>>

>> OK, I guess some of those people are at Microsoft.
>
> So do most third-party developers. Amazon Music specifically mentions
> "minimize to the system tray" in its settings for instance. Thunderbird
> asks to "show a tray icon."
>
> I beg to differ that it is "some people." It's "most people and
> developers." The latter being the most important.
>
> But yeah, it's apparently never been "officially" called that. Fair
> point. It's officially called the "notification area."
>
> Lately, I have noticed a push to call it the "notification area" in
> guides, and thus pointed it out because you need to Google on that to get
> a complete answer these days.
>
> AFAIC, horse. barn. left. Official doesn't matter when you're giving tech
> support for third-party applications and it's the _de facto_ name for it.

In the earlier Windows days(7 and b/f), MSFT never officially called it
the 'system tray', later o/s(like 11) the term by inclusion in Settings
and MSFT doc articles became the official designation

In Windows 10/11(maybe even 8x-can't recall exactly) the Notification
'area'[1] is a 'pop-up' that is typically accessed by a:
- a notice (note a subset of different apps can be toggled on/off in
Settings)
- clicking the Clock/date
- the Notification icon(present when a notice is available)
- the Do Not Disturb icon(present when Do Not Disturb is enabled)

[1] The correct term atm, is Notification Center
Note: Even though some variation does still exist in Win11 if accessing
via the run command shell for notification 'area'
explorer shell:::{05d7b0f4-2121-4eff-bf6b-ed3f69b894d9}
- doing so shows the old nomenclature, but the ability to select items
may/may not be possible(i.e. existing Win11 options accessed via
'Settings' app may take precedent system wide)

--

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Cannot drag icons *within* the Taskbar.