From: jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: MA: High School to lock students' cell phones during school day [telecom]
Date: 20 May 2023 03:08:19 -0000
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Jeff Jonas - Sat, 20 May 2023 03:08 UTC

>Chicopee Comprehensive High to lock students’ cell phones during school day, joining Chicopee High
>CHICOPEE – Comprehensive High School will soon be locking up
>teenagers’ cell phones in magnetic pouches

Umm, errr, yes, no, maybe?

At first glance I agree that cellphones are abused and too distracting.
But isn't the easier solution for the students
to just not bring their cellphones to school at all?

And what if there's an emergency where ALL cellphones ought to be available?

--

Re: MA: High School to lock students' cell phones during school day [telecom]

<20230520144448.GB333257@telecomdigest.us>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4358

From: malQRMassimilation@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 20 May 2023 10:44:48 -0400
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sat, 20 May 2023 14:44 UTC

On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 03:08:19AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:
> >Chicopee Comprehensive High to lock students’ cell phones during school day, joining Chicopee High
> >CHICOPEE – Comprehensive High School will soon be locking up
> >teenagers’ cell phones in magnetic pouches
>
> Umm, errr, yes, no, maybe?
>
> At first glance I agree that cellphones are abused and too distracting.
> But isn't the easier solution for the students
> to just not bring their cellphones to school at all?

Heaven forfend! That’s Communist! That’s Un-Americun! That’s
unprofitable! How could you even suggest that all the young,
impressionalbe consumers-in-training be denied access to
advertisements while they are forming the brand-loyalties and
consumption habits which will provide a basis for Americun industry
and marketing for the rest of their lives?

> And what if there's an emergency where ALL cellphones ought to be available?
Such as an AR-15 in the hands of another child? Calls for help won’t
make any difference worth mentioning: we don’t need panicked children
to sound the alarm. We need courage from our leaders who live off the
campaign contributions of the arms industry.

The school administrators and teachers are just tired of having
contradictory sources of information in the hands of children whom
aren't yet well-enough indoctrinated to ignore viewpoints other than
the ones the schools are paid to inculcate into their pointy little
heads.

Bill Horne

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address for direct replies)

Re: MA: High School to lock students' cell phones during school day [telecom]

<20230520194835.96FE5DDE4168@ary.qy>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4365&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4365

From: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 20 May 2023 15:48:35 -0400
Sender: alias@iecc.com
Cleverness: minimal
 by: John Levine - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:48 UTC

It appears that Bill Horne <malQRMassimilation@gmail.com> said:
>On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 03:08:19AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:
>> >Chicopee Comprehensive High to lock students’ cell phones during school day, joining Chicopee High
>> >CHICOPEE – Comprehensive High School will soon be locking up
>> >teenagers’ cell phones in magnetic pouches
>>
>> Umm, errr, yes, no, maybe?
>>
>> At first glance I agree that cellphones are abused and too distracting.
>> But isn't the easier solution for the students
>> to just not bring their cellphones to school at all?
>
>Heaven forfend! That’s Communist! That’s Un-Americun!

More to the point, it's impractical.

While I would think it was fine if the school told my daughter not to
have her phone while she's at school, I would just as soon she did
have it while walking there and back. Plenty of high school kids go
directly from school to work and other places where it's OK to have a
phone.

R's,
John

MA: High School to lock students' cell phones during school day [telecom]

<20230419123124.GA81913@telecomdigest.us>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4885&group=comp.dcom.telecom#4885

From: submissions@telecom-digest.org (The Telecom Digest)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 19 Apr 2023 12:31:24 +0000
Sender: alias@iecc.com
 by: The Telecom Digest - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:31 UTC

Chicopee Comprehensive High to lock students’ cell phones during school day, joining Chicopee High

By Jeanette DeForge

CHICOPEE – Comprehensive High School will soon be locking up
teenagers’ cell phones in magnetic pouches, after staff at its sister
high school have reported seeing students’ grades and concentration
levels improve when they did the same.

Comprehensive High School is planning to implement a program where
students are each given a cell phone pouch that is locked with
specialized magnets when they enter the school. At dismissal, the
phones are unlocked.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/08/chicopee-comprehensive-high-to-lock-students-cell-phones-during-school-day-joining-chicopee-high.html