Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. -- Russian Proverb

computers / misc.phone.mobile.iphone / Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?

SubjectAuthor
* Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?Alan Browne
`* Re: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?Alan
 `- Re: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?Alan Browne

1
Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?

<t_4mM.12142$pHT8.10467@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4417&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#4417

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 20:30:17 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 00:30 UTC

Yesterday my Wi-Fi on this iMac went off.

No way to connect it to my router.

I could see other (familiar) neighbor's routers.

Fired up iStumbler - usually I'd see a dozen or more local WiFi's over 2
bands. Now only seeing a few at a time.

Did all the usual stuff. The names of the routers would change from
time to time.

Occasionally it would connect to one of my 4 WiFi spots (2 private + 2
guest). No internet traffic.

Reviewed and reset everything.

Removed and restored the WiFi from Preferences.

"Make Service Inactive" - reboot - "Make Service Active".

SMC reset
PRAM reset

Briefly today, one of the guest WiFi's worked for about 10 minutes
before dropping out again.

<sigh>

Took the iMac screen off (this is the slim edge edition - I never
re-sealed it after a disk change, so just removed the packing tape that
was holding the screen on....)
Disconnected and removed the display.
Disconnected the RF connectors, examined them - fine, restored.

Unscrewed the antennas from the edges, examined, cleaned (in case of
metal particles).

Noted that the grounding "fingers" that bond <cough> the backshell to
the display assembly around the main electronics could potentially touch
the antennas. Put Kapton tape in between to make sure there would be no
contact when the display "pressed" these in again.

Re-assembled.

Still no Wi-Fi other than a brief burst of 2 or 3 minutes on a guest access.

Deleted a pile of related files in
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (per a guide online) and
re-booted.

The behaviour smacks to me of failing WiFi hardware - the intermittency
of known WiFi access points appearing and disappearing.

At first thought the antennas or cables - but they are fine as far as I
can see.

No bluetooth issues - but not sure if it's the same chip. From the h/w
config I don't believe so. (Both are Broadcom).

Any ideas appreciated.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?

<u7an7h$l2a6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4421&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#4421

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 17:47:45 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 00:47 UTC

On 2023-06-25 17:30, Alan Browne wrote:

> Yesterday my Wi-Fi on this iMac went off.
>
> No way to connect it to my router.
>
> I could see other (familiar) neighbor's routers.
>
> Fired up iStumbler - usually I'd see a dozen or more local WiFi's over 2
> bands.  Now only seeing a few at a time.
>
> Did all the usual stuff.  The names of the routers would change from
> time to time.
>
> Occasionally it would connect to one of my 4 WiFi spots (2 private + 2
> guest).  No internet traffic.
>
> Reviewed and reset everything.
>
> Removed and restored the WiFi from Preferences.
>
> "Make Service Inactive" - reboot - "Make Service Active".
>
> SMC reset
> PRAM reset
>
> Briefly today, one of the guest WiFi's worked for about 10 minutes
> before dropping out again.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Took the iMac screen off (this is the slim edge edition - I never
> re-sealed it after a disk change, so just removed the packing tape that
> was holding the screen on....)
> Disconnected and removed the display.
> Disconnected the RF connectors, examined them - fine, restored.
>
> Unscrewed the antennas from the edges, examined, cleaned (in case of
> metal particles).
>
> Noted that the grounding "fingers" that bond <cough> the backshell to
> the display assembly around the main electronics could potentially touch
> the antennas.  Put Kapton tape in between to make sure there would be no
> contact when the display "pressed" these in again.
>
> Re-assembled.
>
> Still no Wi-Fi other than a brief burst of 2 or 3 minutes on a guest
> access.
>
> Deleted a pile of related files in
> /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (per a guide online) and
> re-booted.
>
> The behaviour smacks to me of failing WiFi hardware - the intermittency
> of known WiFi access points appearing and disappearing.
>
> At first thought the antennas or cables - but they are fine as far as I
> can see.
>
> No bluetooth issues - but not sure if it's the same chip.  From the h/w
> config I don't believe so. (Both are Broadcom).
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

At the very least you should reboot in Safe Mode (hold down the Shift key).

Re: Wi-Fi dying on my iMac?

<Pp5mM.92455$k4z1.47458@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4422&group=misc.phone.mobile.iphone#4422

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 20:59:27 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 00:59 UTC

On 2023-06-25 20:47, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-06-25 17:30, Alan Browne wrote:

>> Any ideas appreciated.
>>

> At the very least you should reboot in Safe Mode (hold down the Shift key).

At the very least I should have posted this in the right newsgroup.

I'll try that tomorrow. Thx.