From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: ATT: Ralph Fox
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:14 UTC

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>this technology is supposed to make life easier????

In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
the UK).

My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.

(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
here...)

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<ecc5ehhphqvl3kiakp9i353abab25l2i3v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4476

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:07 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>
>>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>>this technology is supposed to make life easier????
>>
>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was

Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
back wall or any other. <G>

I always enter either through the front door or the garage.

>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>the UK).
>
>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.

I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.

Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.

>(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
>connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
>daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
>for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
>here...)

I use a VoIP service which works through an OBI100 which also sits
next to my router on my desk.

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<n7g7hh5g9i4lausk1s8uljuafas4n761t4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4547&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4547

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:06:15 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:06 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:00:14 +0100, hsg@h-gee.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>>When the TV drops it's Internet and satellite connection and I call the
>>>customer help line I start to enter a marathon of running up and down
>>>stairs to reset the fiber router then enter passwords to screen apps - all
>>>this technology is supposed to make life easier????
>>>
>>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
>
>Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
>back wall or any other. <G>
>
>I always enter either through the front door or the garage.

Doh! I meant of course where the coax connection entered the house!
(Guess the joke is on me...)

>>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>>the UK).
>>
>>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.
>

>I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
>just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
>modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.
>
>Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
>combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
>against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
>modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
>what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
>with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.

Yup - It has worked successfully without a hitch at gigabit speeds for
2+ years. It's a wired / wireless unit. Nobody is currently using
wireless in our home but I will be soon when I reactivate my late
wife's iPad.

>>(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
>>connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
>>daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
>>for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
>>here...)
>
>I use a VoIP service which works through an OBI100 which also sits
>next to my router on my desk.

Re: ATT: Ralph Fox

<fsh7hhdik4084d83hc5eguqbt4qbsv5o0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4548&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4548

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:33:25 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:33 UTC

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:06:15 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:07:49 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:14:51 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>In my case my cable company asked me where I would like to enter the
>>>house and I gave them the back wall of the house where my office was
>>
>>Since I have no magical powers, I never enter my house through a wall,
>>back wall or any other. <G>
>>
>>I always enter either through the front door or the garage.
>
>Doh! I meant of course where the coax connection entered the house!
>(Guess the joke is on me...)
>

>>>(later my daughter's bedroom when she got tired of sharing with her
>>>sister - which which is now mostly unoccupied as she's relocated to
>>>the UK).
>>>
>>>My new location is only 10' through a closet wall and I later got them
>>>to relocate the outdoor connection so it's just adjacent to my
>>>computer desk meaning if I stick my elbow out I can touch the router.
>>

>>I use a cable modem, and the modem is connected to a cable TV outlet
>>just down the wall from where the modem sits on my computer desk. The
>>modem is connected to a router that sits next to it on my desk.
>>
>>Since you said "router," not "modem," my guess is that you have a
>>combination router/modem. As with almost any kind of device, I'm
>>against combination units. I don't want to have to replace both the
>>modem and he router if one of them dies. Moreover, I want to select
>>what I consider to be the best of each type without having to deal
>>with compromises because two different devices are in the same box.
>
>Yup - It has worked successfully without a hitch at gigabit speeds for
>2+ years.

Glad to hear it, but my point is that there are no guarantees. Things
do fail, sooner or later.

>It's a wired / wireless unit. Nobody is currently using
>wireless in our home but I will be soon when I reactivate my late
>wife's iPad.
>
>>>(I recently relocated a phone but no closer outlet is available so I
>>>connected it from the next room with 3 - 25' extension phone cables
>>>daisy chained together thereby making the phone location convenient
>>>for me as opposed to the person it was set up for but no longer lives
>>>here...)
>>
>>I use a VoIP service which works through an OBI100 which also sits
>>next to my router on my desk.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: ATT: Ralph Fox