From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Bitcoin scam via SSH, SMS and registration
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 17:47:51 -0400
sha1:Ru4aFe57TZR1iFMTRfIgDQ0P7nI=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 21:47 UTC

I love exploring spam, especially Bitcoin scam.

A few days ago one scam came which asks you to do a login via SSH, what I
did:

User: neertrektl4
Password :BDWnNB
16.170.239.178

The other via web on orchidcoin dot net with

Id: 97654621
Password: TG22M487.

It claims to has the bitcoin number
bc1q5mdrw6zsnumwk7hsy4vyd2c528tugzdyq3u2sa, although this appears to be
8 digits longer than usual.

In both cases it had to exactly be these credentials (random numbers were
not accepted). Both cases - of course - want you to first donate some
bitcoins before you get your million dollars. Interestingly in case of
the SSH method "your" bitcoin number needs to be (pseudo?) valid. So I
used one from a list of bitcoin scammers I collected, and it went
through.

The web version then wants to send an SMS code to a phone. Again it seems
to be real, because after I entered a random phone number the web page
said it sent a text message to that number, and you now have to enter the
PIN you received. So I stuck here not giving my real number.

Elaborate scam!

While I think I know how this scam works I am especially puzzled of why
using SSH. People knowing and be able to use SSH should have some brains,
thus not falling on this scam.
--
Andreas

Re: Bitcoin scam via SSH, SMS and registration

<82s9o2q6-65so-8r11-p85q-6no44n3sr1q5@zvaqfcevat.pbz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=453&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#453

From: dritz@mindspring.com (David Ritz)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: Bitcoin scam via SSH, SMS and registration
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 00:23:40 -0500
 by: David Ritz - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 05:23 UTC