From: Me@me.com (Me)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Problem with Launch in Browser
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:00:43 +0000
 by: Me - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:00 UTC

When opening an HTML email using Control + L (launch in browser), the page always opens with what appears to be the wrong character encoding.

Instead of an inverted comma, I see a black diamond with a ? inside.

I am using Chrome as my default browser and I have a Chrome extension that allows me to set the character encoding back to Western (Windows-1252) and then all is well.

I just wondered if this was an Agent issue or a browser issue?

Thanks

Re: Problem with Launch in Browser

<tkffnhhosf0flkr51ovg03gkigsfro56c9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4670&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4670

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Problem with Launch in Browser
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 06:32:11 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:32 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:00:43 +0000, Me wrote:

> When opening an HTML email using Control + L (launch in browser), the
> page always opens with what appears to be the wrong character encoding.
>
> Instead of an inverted comma, I see a black diamond with a ? inside.
>
> I am using Chrome as my default browser and I have a Chrome extension
> that allows me to set the character encoding back to Western
> (Windows-1252) and then all is well.
>
> I just wondered if this was an Agent issue or a browser issue?

Neither. It is an issue with the message's HTML code itself.

The HTML code is missing one of these:

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🔠🔡🔢🔣🔤

Re: Problem with Launch in Browser

<orahnhd5a4f1ilpef1h594k305aq92jed7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4671&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4671

From: Me@me.com (Me)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:10:42 +0000
 by: Me - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:10 UTC

On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 06:32:11 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:00:43 +0000, Me wrote:
>
>> When opening an HTML email using Control + L (launch in browser), the
>> page always opens with what appears to be the wrong character encoding.
>>
>> Instead of an inverted comma, I see a black diamond with a ? inside.
>>
>> I am using Chrome as my default browser and I have a Chrome extension
>> that allows me to set the character encoding back to Western
>> (Windows-1252) and then all is well.
>>
>> I just wondered if this was an Agent issue or a browser issue?
>

>Neither. It is an issue with the message's HTML code itself.
>
>The HTML code is missing one of these:

Thank you Ralph, so it is out of my control then?

Re: Problem with Launch in Browser

<jrbinhdbg45tjcma4e8ccm5vpgpp7ab48m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4672&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4672

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:39:25 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:39 UTC

On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:10:42 +0000, Me wrote:

> Thank you Ralph, so it is out of my control then?

Indeed so.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

🎈🐦🥧🌥️

Re: Problem with Launch in Browser

<a27pnh9ek7g58cm3hih6mmvvjehgbvhsc1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4675&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4675

From: Me@me.com (Me)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:56:52 +0000
 by: Me - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:56 UTC

On Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:39:25 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:10:42 +0000, Me wrote:
>
>> Thank you Ralph, so it is out of my control then?
>
>Indeed so.

Thanks Ralph.

I do wonder why so many, if not all, of my HTML attachments are like that though when opened through Agent, which in turn opens the document in Chrome.

Within the article, there is often a link to open the same page "in a browser", and when I click that, the document displays correctly, hence my thought that Agent might be doing something strange.

Re: Problem with Launch in Browser

<rr2qnhpipb4ve8qdk8260s1is5qkhj0rck@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4678&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4678

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:10:42 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 18:10 UTC

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:56:52 +0000, Me wrote:

> I do wonder why so many, if not all, of my HTML attachments are like that
> though when opened through Agent, which in turn opens the document in
> Chrome.
>
> Within the article, there is often a link to open the same page "in a
> browser", and when I click that, the document displays correctly, hence
> my thought that Agent might be doing something strange.

When you view an HTML email in an email program, the email also has
a 'Content-Type' header which tells the email program what the
character encoding is.

When viewing the HTML via an http(s) link, there are two ways in which
your web browser can be told what the character encoding is.

1) The web server's HTTP(s) response headers may contain a
'Content-Type' header which says what the character encoding is.

2) Or, the HTML code itself may contain a meta tag which says what
the character encoding is.

The 'Content-Type' header is not part of the HTML file. When you
launch the HTML as a file in your browser, the browser does not have
the 'Content-Type' header.

It seems your message is using a Content-Type header but not a meta
tag.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
Vita brevis, ars longa
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne