From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: get-Disk a user?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:17:24 -0800
 by: T - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:17 UTC

Hi All,

Is the "|" command in power shell the same as the
"Pipe" command everywhere else?

Is there a way to run the following PowerShell command
as a user and not just as administrator? (Get-StorageReliabilityCounter
requires administrator.)

Get-Disk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select-Object -Property "*"

Many thanks,
-T

Re: get-Disk a user?

<upujpv$148gs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4755&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4755

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: get-Disk a user?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:44:45 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:44 UTC

On 2/6/2024 4:17 PM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is the "|" command in power shell the same as the
> "Pipe" command everywhere else?
>
> Is there a way to run the following PowerShell command
> as a user and not just as administrator?  (Get-StorageReliabilityCounter
> requires administrator.)
>
> Get-Disk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select-Object -Property "*"
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

"Through WMI, a developer can use the CIM to create classes that represent hard disk drives"

"Get-StorageReliabilityCounter : Access to a CIM resource was not available to the client"

Doesn't WMI "smell of Administrator" ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation

Judging by the output when I look at that command line invocation,
it's calling SMART, and that might require administrator in any case,
as it's a physical disk thing. Just the same as examining sectors
on /dev/sda in HxD requires administrator, as you are effectively
thwarting all the permissions a file system has, when you
scrape sectors that way.

Now when I ran your command, it did not return the Temperature.
Maybe it's not smart enough to do SSDs ? I guess I should be
connecting a HDD, and seeing if that has a temperature listed.

I know that if Microsoft was running a "service", it would
run as SYSTEM, and it should be able to evaluate such things.
Then you could, as a mere user, call the service and get the info.
Some SSD toolkits collect wear data, including a projected
"drop dead" date for an SSD.

Perhaps a scheduled task could run once a day, and collect the table ?
They run as SYSTEM I think, by default.

As long as some service runs as an intermediary, that might
avoid the need for Administrator to poke at the SMART directly.

*******

When I run Crystal, that needs Administrator.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/KzbM3dh6/crystaldiskinfo-administrator.gif

Paul

Re: get-Disk a user?

<upuni8$14m42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4756&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4756

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:48:55 -0800
 by: T - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:48 UTC

On 2/6/24 16:44, Paul wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 4:17 PM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is the "|" command in power shell the same as the
>> "Pipe" command everywhere else?
>>
>> Is there a way to run the following PowerShell command
>> as a user and not just as administrator?  (Get-StorageReliabilityCounter
>> requires administrator.)
>>
>> Get-Disk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select-Object -Property "*"
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> "Through WMI, a developer can use the CIM to create classes that represent hard disk drives"
>
> "Get-StorageReliabilityCounter : Access to a CIM resource was not available to the client"
>
> Doesn't WMI "smell of Administrator" ???
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation
>
> Judging by the output when I look at that command line invocation,
> it's calling SMART, and that might require administrator in any case,
> as it's a physical disk thing. Just the same as examining sectors
> on /dev/sda in HxD requires administrator, as you are effectively
> thwarting all the permissions a file system has, when you
> scrape sectors that way.
>
> Now when I ran your command, it did not return the Temperature.
> Maybe it's not smart enough to do SSDs ? I guess I should be
> connecting a HDD, and seeing if that has a temperature listed.
>
> I know that if Microsoft was running a "service", it would
> run as SYSTEM, and it should be able to evaluate such things.
> Then you could, as a mere user, call the service and get the info.
> Some SSD toolkits collect wear data, including a projected
> "drop dead" date for an SSD.
>
> Perhaps a scheduled task could run once a day, and collect the table ?
> They run as SYSTEM I think, by default.
>
> As long as some service runs as an intermediary, that might
> avoid the need for Administrator to poke at the SMART directly.
>
> *******
>
> When I run Crystal, that needs Administrator.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/KzbM3dh6/crystaldiskinfo-administrator.gif
>
> Paul

Thank you!

I | a pipe?

Re: get-Disk a user?

<upusu6$198rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4757&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4757

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 22:20:36 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 03:20 UTC

On 2/6/2024 8:48 PM, T wrote:
> On 2/6/24 16:44, Paul wrote:
>> On 2/6/2024 4:17 PM, T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is the "|" command in power shell the same as the
>>> "Pipe" command everywhere else?
>>>
>>> Is there a way to run the following PowerShell command
>>> as a user and not just as administrator?  (Get-StorageReliabilityCounter
>>> requires administrator.)
>>>
>>> Get-Disk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select-Object -Property "*"
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>>     "Through WMI, a developer can use the CIM to create classes that represent hard disk drives"
>>
>> "Get-StorageReliabilityCounter : Access to a CIM resource was not available to the client"
>>
>> Doesn't WMI "smell of Administrator" ???
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation
>>
>> Judging by the output when I look at that command line invocation,
>> it's calling SMART, and that might require administrator in any case,
>> as it's a physical disk thing. Just the same as examining sectors
>> on /dev/sda in HxD requires administrator, as you are effectively
>> thwarting all the permissions a file system has, when you
>> scrape sectors that way.
>>
>> Now when I ran your command, it did not return the Temperature.
>> Maybe it's not smart enough to do SSDs ? I guess I should be
>> connecting a HDD, and seeing if that has a temperature listed.
>>
>> I know that if Microsoft was running a "service", it would
>> run as SYSTEM, and it should be able to evaluate such things.
>> Then you could, as a mere user, call the service and get the info.
>> Some SSD toolkits collect wear data, including a projected
>> "drop dead" date for an SSD.
>>
>> Perhaps a scheduled task could run once a day, and collect the table ?
>> They run as SYSTEM I think, by default.
>>
>> As long as some service runs as an intermediary, that might
>> avoid the need for Administrator to poke at the SMART directly.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> When I run Crystal, that needs Administrator.
>>
>>     [Picture]
>>
>>      https://i.postimg.cc/KzbM3dh6/crystaldiskinfo-administrator.gif
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> Thank you!
>
> I | a pipe?

Sorry, forgot that bit.

Of course it's a pipe.

If you break your command down into pieces, it's really
hard to tell exactly what the selection and action is
in that sequence. The Select-Object is causing a
crazy amount of "stuff" to come out. But I don't know why
it is doing that.

Paul

Re: get-Disk a user?

<upv60v$1abtf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4758&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4758

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:55:43 -0800
 by: T - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 05:55 UTC

On 2/6/24 19:20, Paul wrote:
>> Is | a pipe?
> Sorry, forgot that bit.
>
> Of course it's a pipe.
>
> If you break your command down into pieces, it's really
> hard to tell exactly what the selection and action is
> in that sequence. The Select-Object is causing a
> crazy amount of "stuff" to come out. But I don't know why
> it is doing that.
>
> Paul

Crazy stuff indeed. That is one reason why I do
not like power shell. It is difficult to figure out
what the heck is happening. It ain't like bash
at all.

That being said, it has some clever funcions
that I do use.