From: memyself@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Networking problem
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:02:01 -0500
 by: EGK - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 19:02 UTC

I have a home network setup running windows 11 and windows 10 machines. When
I first start my laptop running windows 11 in the morning I automatically
see the shared windows 10 machines in the "Network".

When I click on the machinees in the Network, I get an error message that
something is wrong or I don't have permissions to connect. If I try
multiple times eventually it does connect and works fine until I shut down
again. I'll add that when I mapped a network share using the win10
machine's IP address then it connects instantly.

I've checked the win10 machine's power settings thinking maybe the network
card was "sleeping" but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what to
look for?

Re: Networking problem

<uq8pou$20jq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4803&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4803

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Networking problem
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:27:56 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 21:27 UTC

On 2/10/2024 2:02 PM, EGK wrote:
> I have a home network setup running windows 11 and windows 10 machines. When
> I first start my laptop running windows 11 in the morning I automatically
> see the shared windows 10 machines in the "Network".
>
> When I click on the machinees in the Network, I get an error message that
> something is wrong or I don't have permissions to connect. If I try
> multiple times eventually it does connect and works fine until I shut down
> again. I'll add that when I mapped a network share using the win10
> machine's IP address then it connects instantly.
>
> I've checked the win10 machine's power settings thinking maybe the network
> card was "sleeping" but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what to
> look for?

The test matrix to prove Windows networking works, is huge.

Even if they had quality assurance at Microsoft, it's not
like you could assure anyone this stuff works.

When you're not in a Domain, then the "account design" is an
approximation or an emulation of a domain, in a limited sense.

Win box -------------- Linux box # Sometimes there is a flash of brilliance
| | # and it "just works".
Bullwinkle:12345 Bullwinkle:12345 # Most of the time though, File Sharing is not nearly like that.

There can be a couple Troubleshooters, and yesterday, sharing
wasn't working until I ran a Troubleshooter after boot. The
network one has a couple classical network stack reset commands
in it, and that seems to be helping. Why ? I don't know why this
helps. I see some of these symptoms come and go with time.
A certain symptom will disappear for six months, then come back.

To see Control Panels, use right-click Start, then the Run box

control.exe

Once the folder appears, pin to task bar for future use.
There may be a Troubleshooter item in there.

Paul

Re: Networking problem

<0nrfsild7a3gpq4chv6b0011dnubos7r9t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4804&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#4804

From: memyself@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:52:16 -0500
 by: EGK - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 21:52 UTC

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:27:56 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 2/10/2024 2:02 PM, EGK wrote:
>> I have a home network setup running windows 11 and windows 10 machines. When
>> I first start my laptop running windows 11 in the morning I automatically
>> see the shared windows 10 machines in the "Network".
>>
>> When I click on the machinees in the Network, I get an error message that
>> something is wrong or I don't have permissions to connect. If I try
>> multiple times eventually it does connect and works fine until I shut down
>> again. I'll add that when I mapped a network share using the win10
>> machine's IP address then it connects instantly.
>>
>> I've checked the win10 machine's power settings thinking maybe the network
>> card was "sleeping" but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what to
>> look for?
>>

>The test matrix to prove Windows networking works, is huge.
>
>Even if they had quality assurance at Microsoft, it's not
>like you could assure anyone this stuff works.
>
>When you're not in a Domain, then the "account design" is an
>approximation or an emulation of a domain, in a limited sense.
>
> Win box -------------- Linux box # Sometimes there is a flash of brilliance
> | | # and it "just works".
> Bullwinkle:12345 Bullwinkle:12345 # Most of the time though, File Sharing is not nearly like that.
>
>There can be a couple Troubleshooters, and yesterday, sharing
>wasn't working until I ran a Troubleshooter after boot. The
>network one has a couple classical network stack reset commands
>in it, and that seems to be helping. Why ? I don't know why this
>helps. I see some of these symptoms come and go with time.
>A certain symptom will disappear for six months, then come back.
>
>To see Control Panels, use right-click Start, then the Run box
>
> control.exe
>
>Once the folder appears, pin to task bar for future use.
>There may be a Troubleshooter item in there.
>
> Paul

I've tried the troubleshooters and they never find anything wrong even after
getting the erorr message.

It's not that big a deal I guess because, like I said, it works immediately
if I map the network share using the machine's IP address. I've just never
figured out why it takes multiple tries from the Network icon or the Network
area of file Explorer to access another machine. After about half a dozen
or so tries, it will finally connect and work fine till the next day.

Windows networking has always been like voodoo.