"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." -- Voltaire

devel / comp.theory / Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

SubjectAuthor
* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Charlie-Boo
+* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Richard Damon
|`* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Charlie-Boo
| `* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Richard Damon
|  `* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Jeffrey Rubard
|   `* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Jeffrey Rubard
|    `- Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Jeffrey Rubard
`* Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Julio Di Egidio
 `- Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?Jeffrey Rubard

1
Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<865bc1f2-ae48-48cb-8140-4fb96fb33eeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48837&group=comp.theory#48837

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?
From: shymathguy@gmail.com (Charlie-Boo)
 by: Charlie-Boo - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:11 UTC

Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program.

Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
How many different programs can we create?

C-B

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<jzqGM.457182$xMqa.162772@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48838&group=comp.theory#48838

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Richard@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 13:24:31 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:24 UTC

On 8/26/23 1:11 PM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
> Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
> We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
> We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
> We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program.
>
> Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
> How many different programs can we create?
>
> C-B

A fundamental property of programming is that you can create an infinite
variation of programs that achieve a given goal. At least as long as the
requirements are written semantically (this is the result we need to
generate) and not with syntactic limits (it must be written this way).

THough you have a syntactic restriction in your definition (we can't
"call" A or B, since you can always replace a call to a function with
the code for that function, and you specified we have the code, we can
use this property.

Now, the question comes down to terminology, if you have multipe ways of
implementing a given algorithm, are they all "one program", or is each
implementation consider a different program.

Normal terminology calls them diferent programs, so your answer is infinite.

There may be a finite (but large) practical limit established by the
language you express the program in, and the machine it will be run on.

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<6f144545-d915-436d-b90d-a610ae747dfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48852&group=comp.theory#48852

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 11:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: shymathguy@gmail.com (Charlie-Boo)
 by: Charlie-Boo - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 18:43 UTC

On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 1:24:35 PM UTC-4, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 8/26/23 1:11 PM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> > Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
> > Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
> > We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
> > We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
> > We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program..
> >
> > Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
> > How many different programs can we create?
> >
> > C-B
> A fundamental property of programming is that you can create an infinite
> variation of programs that achieve a given goal. At least as long as the
> requirements are written semantically (this is the result we need to
> generate) and not with syntactic limits (it must be written this way).
>
> THough you have a syntactic restriction in your definition (we can't
> "call" A or B, since you can always replace a call to a function with
> the code for that function, and you specified we have the code, we can
> use this property.
>
> Now, the question comes down to terminology, if you have multipe ways of
> implementing a given algorithm, are they all "one program", or is each
> implementation consider a different program.
>
> Normal terminology calls them diferent programs, so your answer is infinite.
>
> There may be a finite (but large) practical limit established by the
> language you express the program in, and the machine it will be run on.
I said use common programming language constructs e.g. PHP. As you create alternatives, you start to see the difference between algorithm and implementation.
Perhaps the simplest way is 3 parts. Assuming variable name conflicts are removed:
1. The code for A but save the value returned in variable A.
2. The code for B but save the value returned in variable B.
3. return A&&B

There ae LOTS more.

C-B

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<H88JM.815109$SuUf.772249@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48853&group=comp.theory#48853

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Richard@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 15:54:31 -0700
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 22:54 UTC

On 9/2/23 11:43 AM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 1:24:35 PM UTC-4, Richard Damon wrote:
>> On 8/26/23 1:11 PM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
>>> Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
>>> Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
>>> We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
>>> We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
>>> We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program.
>>>
>>> Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
>>> How many different programs can we create?
>>>
>>> C-B
>> A fundamental property of programming is that you can create an infinite
>> variation of programs that achieve a given goal. At least as long as the
>> requirements are written semantically (this is the result we need to
>> generate) and not with syntactic limits (it must be written this way).
>>
>> THough you have a syntactic restriction in your definition (we can't
>> "call" A or B, since you can always replace a call to a function with
>> the code for that function, and you specified we have the code, we can
>> use this property.
>>
>> Now, the question comes down to terminology, if you have multipe ways of
>> implementing a given algorithm, are they all "one program", or is each
>> implementation consider a different program.
>>
>> Normal terminology calls them diferent programs, so your answer is infinite.
>>
>> There may be a finite (but large) practical limit established by the
>> language you express the program in, and the machine it will be run on.
> I said use common programming language constructs e.g. PHP. As you create alternatives, you start to see the difference between algorithm and implementation.
> Perhaps the simplest way is 3 parts. Assuming variable name conflicts are removed:
> 1. The code for A but save the value returned in variable A.
> 2. The code for B but save the value returned in variable B.
> 3. return A&&B
>
> There ae LOTS more.
>
> C-B

Which is basically what I said.

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<755767dd-c4f6-425e-a71d-38de42064acen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48864&group=comp.theory#48864

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: jeffreydanielrubard@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:06 UTC

On Sunday, September 3, 2023 at 3:54:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 9/2/23 11:43 AM, Charlie-Boo wrote:

> >> A fundamental property of programming is that you can create an infinite
> >> variation of programs that achieve a given goal. At least as long as the
> >> requirements are written semantically (this is the result we need to
> >> generate) and not with syntactic limits (it must be written this way).
> >>
> >> THough you have a syntactic restriction in your definition (we can't
> >> "call" A or B, since you can always replace a call to a function with
> >> the code for that function, and you specified we have the code, we can
> >> use this property.
> >>
> >> Now, the question comes down to terminology, if you have multipe ways of
> >> implementing a given algorithm, are they all "one program", or is each
> >> implementation consider a different program.
> >>
> >> Normal terminology calls them diferent programs, so your answer is infinite.
> >>
> >> There may be a finite (but large) practical limit established by the
> >> language you express the program in, and the machine it will be run on..
> > I said use common programming language constructs e.g. PHP. As you create alternatives, you start to see the difference between algorithm and implementation.
> > Perhaps the simplest way is 3 parts. Assuming variable name conflicts are removed:
> > 1. The code for A but save the value returned in variable A.
> > 2. The code for B but save the value returned in variable B.
> > 3. return A&&B
> >
> > There ae LOTS more.
> >
> > C-B
> Which is basically what I said.

"Clap, clap, clap."

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<c4e359cb-7736-4f5a-85bc-308e57bfa9ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48865&group=comp.theory#48865

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:05:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: theleasthappyfella@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:05 UTC

On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 11:06:19 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Sunday, September 3, 2023 at 3:54:35 PM UTC-7, Richard Damon wrote:

> > > I said use common programming language constructs e.g. PHP. As you create alternatives, you start to see the difference between algorithm and implementation.
> > > Perhaps the simplest way is 3 parts. Assuming variable name conflicts are removed:
> > > 1. The code for A but save the value returned in variable A.
> > > 2. The code for B but save the value returned in variable B.
> > > 3. return A&&B
> > >
> > > There ae LOTS more.
> > >
> > > C-B
> > Which is basically what I said.
> "Clap, clap, clap."

Wider World: This is some of the worst 'claptrap' I have ever seen.

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<526a1e7f-fd5d-4b7f-8bff-14b75ae300bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48866&group=comp.theory#48866

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: theleasthappyfella@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 1:05:54 PM UTC-7, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 11:06:19 AM UTC-7, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Which is basically what I said.
> > "Clap, clap, clap."
> Wider World: This is some of the worst 'claptrap' I have ever seen.

The people "fooled" are primarily themselves, and that's unfortunate.

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<5c18e51b-163f-47b6-abe3-e4618dff0a69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48867&group=comp.theory#48867

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 00:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: julio@diegidio.name (Julio Di Egidio)
 by: Julio Di Egidio - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 07:42 UTC

On Saturday, 26 August 2023 at 19:11:13 UTC+2, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
> Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
> We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
> We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
> We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program.
>
> Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
> How many different programs can we create?

Spammers, more or less demented, this one is more: but there's
only one kind, the kind that should be shot into outer space...

*Spammer Alert*

Julio

Re: Simple Programming Problem but How Many Ways to Do It?

<2008cf82-73a4-45af-8385-f982c9c9242en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=48869&group=comp.theory#48869

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: theleasthappyfella@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:17 UTC

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 12:42:39 AM UTC-7, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 August 2023 at 19:11:13 UTC+2, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> > Program 1 returns a Boolean value call it A.
> > Program 2 returns a Boolean value call it B.
> > We want one program that returns A ^ B (the value of A and B).
> > We don’t want to call 1 and 2.
> > We want to take the code in these two programs and create a new program..
> >
> > Assume we have the common commands and expression elements e.g. those of PHP.
> > How many different programs can we create?
> Spammers, more or less demented, this one is more: but there's
> only one kind, the kind that should be shot into outer space...
>
> *Spammer Alert*
>
> Julio

"Guys, I think your 'work' was more relevant in previous decades."