Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 09:43:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Problems printing from Anne (Amstrad Word Processor emulator),
current release
From: rwdeane@gmail.com (rwd...@gmail.com)
 by: rwd...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 17:43 UTC

Has anyone been able to print from Anne (Seasip Joyce/Anne) to an emulated printer?

I have tried all the permutations and find the printer is always offline. I can only attempt this to virtual printers, not to a real locally attached parallel printer.

Since an emulated printer e.g. LP or LPR across the network is always on line I assume this is a bug. I have not found any method to configure it further.

I found the source code too intimidating to hunt for the bug myself.

Tested under recent Linux Mint.

Cheers
Richard

Re: Problems printing from Anne (Amstrad Word Processor emulator), current release

<CNB*0bf+y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5054&group=comp.os.cpm#5054

From: jacobn@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Jacob Nevins)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
current release
Date: 06 Feb 2023 18:07:12 +0000 (GMT)
Originator: jacobn@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Jacob Nevins - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 18:07 UTC

rwd...@gmail.com <rwdeane@gmail.com> writes:
>Has anyone been able to print from Anne (Seasip Joyce/Anne) to an
>emulated printer?
>
>I have tried all the permutations and find the printer is always
>offline. I can only attempt this to virtual printers, not to a real
>locally attached parallel printer.
>
>Since an emulated printer e.g. LP or LPR across the network is always on
>line I assume this is a bug. I have not found any method to configure it
>further.

I've reproduced the same sort of thing with Joyce 2.5.0 (with the file
backend rather than the pipe used with 'lpr', but they share a lot of
code), have some suspicions, and am investigating.

(Sorry to be vague -- I've got to the point where the OS doesn't report
the printer as offline any more, but not to the point where I get any
actual output in my file.)

Re: Problems printing from Anne (Amstrad Word Processor emulator), current release

<561f9836-090d-4feb-b0b7-4353f544584dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5055&group=comp.os.cpm#5055

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 10:39:01 -0800 (PST)
current release
From: rwdeane@gmail.com (rwd...@gmail.com)
 by: rwd...@gmail.com - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 18:39 UTC

On Monday, 6 February 2023 at 18:07:15 UTC, Jacob Nevins wrote:
> rwd...@gmail.com <rwd...@gmail.com> writes:
> >Has anyone been able to print from Anne (Seasip Joyce/Anne) to an
> >emulated printer?
> >
> >I have tried all the permutations and find the printer is always
> >offline. I can only attempt this to virtual printers, not to a real
> >locally attached parallel printer.
> >
> >Since an emulated printer e.g. LP or LPR across the network is always on
> >line I assume this is a bug. I have not found any method to configure it
> >further.
> I've reproduced the same sort of thing with Joyce 2.5.0 (with the file
> backend rather than the pipe used with 'lpr', but they share a lot of
> code), have some suspicions, and am investigating.
>
> (Sorry to be vague -- I've got to the point where the OS doesn't report
> the printer as offline any more, but not to the point where I get any
> actual output in my file.)

Thanks for confirming. Not me going mad then. I had it working on Joyce under CP/M but had seen some problems printing when I first recently started tinkering with locoscript, and I assumed it was me doing something wrong learning locoscript.
I'd noted that there is a lot of common code between Joyce & Anne, but not been able to devote the time to delve into the code. I act as carer to my sick/disabled wife and whilst I get plenty of time for a hobby, it is in the form of small chunks of time, and the necessary interruptions break the concentration needed to understand source code , coupled with retirement brain rot, I am not as mentally agile as I was when I was 25 - 35 years old, when I could keep a stack of issues in my head. My wife has commented that I remember computer related things better than DIY/Housework/Gardening, which of course is the proper order of things :)

Good luck with identifying the problem.

Cheers
Richard