Our way is peace. -- Septimus, the Son Worshiper, "Bread and Circuses", stardate 4040.7.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Enabling Java

SubjectAuthor
* Enabling Javajason_warren@ieee.org
+* Re: Enabling Javajason_warren@ieee.org
|`* Re: Enabling Javamick
| `- Re: Enabling Javajason_warren@ieee.org
+- Re: Enabling JavaRalph Fox
+- Re: Enabling JavaVanguardLH
`* Re: Enabling JavaPaul
 `- Re: Enabling JavaJason

1
Enabling Java

<MPG.404ebc69449d34b9896a2@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5030&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5030

From: jason_warren@ieee.org (jason_warren@ieee.org)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Enabling Java
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:57:47 -0500
 by: jason_warren@ieee.or - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
and Edge and all three give the same result.

Any ideas?

Re: Enabling Java

<MPG.404ec027d68f4f3a9896a3@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5031&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5031

From: jason_warren@ieee.org (jason_warren@ieee.org)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Enabling Java
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:13:49 -0500
 by: jason_warren@ieee.or - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:13 UTC

In article <MPG.404ebc69449d34b9896a2@reader80.eternal-
september.org>, jason_warren@ieee.org says...

> I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
> When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
> me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
> reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
> and Edge and all three give the same result.
>
> Any ideas?

It seems the version of Java I had installed was obsolete,
so I installed the most up-to-date version. It still doesn't
work, tells me to enable Java. :-(

Re: Enabling Java

<mn.1d417e83c7d1abda.143772@junk.mail>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5032&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5032

From: nospam@junk.mail (mick)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 22:25:44 GMT
 by: mick - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:25 UTC

On 03/03/2024 22:13:49, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
> In article <MPG.404ebc69449d34b9896a2@reader80.eternal-
> september.org>, jason_warren@ieee.org says...
>>
>> I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
>> When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
>> me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
>> reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
>> and Edge and all three give the same result.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> It seems the version of Java I had installed was obsolete,
> so I installed the most up-to-date version. It still doesn't
> work, tells me to enable Java. :-(

Did you re-boot after installing the newer version of Java?

--
mick

Re: Enabling Java

<po6auid81b50omgg7kc34v6dq4d09bs077@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5035&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5035

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 13:51:46 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 00:51 UTC

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:57:47 -0500, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:

> I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
> When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
> me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
> reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
> and Edge and all three give the same result.
>
> Any ideas?

Check whether that message pop-up actually says "Java", or whether it
says "JavaScript". JavaScript is not Java, and Java is not JavaScript.

Those web browsers have not supported Java since last decade. To even
run Java in the web browser, you would need an old 32-bit version of
the browser. And to download and install an old browser plug-in from
Oracle -- which AFAIK Oracle no longer provides.

Firefox: see <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1231039>
Chrome: see <https://www.java.com/en/download/help/chrome.html>
Edge: is based on Chrome and the same applies.
Oracle: see <https://blogs.oracle.com/java/post/further-updates-to-moving-to-a-plugin-free-web>

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Better keep under an old hedge, then creep under a new furze-bush.

Re: Enabling Java

<MPG.404ec686fbd498d69896a4@reader80.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5036&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5036

From: jason_warren@ieee.org (jason_warren@ieee.org)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 23:24:40 -0500
 by: jason_warren@ieee.or - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 04:24 UTC

In article <mn.1d417e83c7d1abda.143772@junk.mail>,
nospam@junk.mail says...

> Did you re-boot after installing the newer version of Java?

Yes.

Re: Enabling Java

<1p9ps5hh7szjr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5038&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5038

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 23:30:42 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 05:30 UTC

"jason_warren@ieee.org" <jason_warren@ieee.org> wrote:

> I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
> When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
> me to enable Java.

Is this a link (URL) to a private page available only after logging in,
or is it a public link that anyone can use? Hard to diagnose a vaguely
described web page. We don't where you were at fcc.gov, because you
didn't say.

I doubt the FCC still uses Java for public web pages. They might on an
internal web server used by their employees in some web docs, but
unlikely for the web pages they dole out the public. Java is not
installed anymore of the vast majority of Windows versions.

> I found the settings page for Java and it reports that it is already
> enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge and all three give the same
> result.

Java and Javascript are NOT the same. Be clear on just what the popup
said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

You can disable Javascript in some web browsers through tweak settings,
like Firefox in about:config, or use an add-on that programmatically
toggles the Javascript setting. Mozilla removed the about:config
setting to disable Javascript (you can add it, but it'll get ignored),
and required programmatic changes (using an add-on).

Are you using an adblocker? Some, like NoScript, will disable
Javascript. I use uBlock Origin which can disable Javascript in
Firefox, but I don't have it disabling Javascript by default. Lots of
NoScript users disable Javascript by default, and have to alter NoScript
to allow Javascript when necessary.

Have you tried disabling all add-ons, or use safe mode in your web
browser, to check if add-ons are interferring with using Javascript at
the web site?

Refresh Firefox which actually creates a new profile which will be
devoid of any add-ons, config changes, or about:config tweaks you did.
That does not delete the old profile. You can switch between profiles
using Firefox's Profile Manager (firefox.exe -P): normally use your own
profile for how you configured it, and switch to the default (install
time) profile to troubleshoot problems with web sites.

Re: Enabling Java

<us5lol$3d8jb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5052&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5052

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:33:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 23:33 UTC

On 3/3/2024 4:57 PM, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
> I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
> When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
> me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
> reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
> and Edge and all three give the same result.
>
> Any ideas?

"Save As" "Web Page complete"

then have a look at the file set in the attached folder.

The front page of fcc.gov is using Javascript.
And includes a "JS" file written by staff at Google.

It's possible you have an adblocker, which blocks Javascript.

Paul

Re: Enabling Java

<MPG.4052b6f58131cdb79896af@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5075&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5075

From: jason_warren@INVALID.ieee.org (Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:23:42 -0500
 by: Jason - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:23 UTC

In article <us5lol$3d8jb$1@dont-email.me>, nospam@needed.invalid says...

> On 3/3/2024 4:57 PM, jason_warren@ieee.org wrote:
> > I am trying to use the FCC.gov website to renew a license.
> > When I click the appropriate link, a message pops up telling
> > me to enable Java. I found the settings page for Java and it
> > reports that it is already enabled. I tried Firefox, Chrome
> > and Edge and all three give the same result.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> "Save As" "Web Page complete"
>
> then have a look at the file set in the attached folder.
>
> The front page of fcc.gov is using Javascript.
> And includes a "JS" file written by staff at Google.
>
> It's possible you have an adblocker, which blocks Javascript.
>
> Paul

I did some googling to see if I'm the only one encountering this.
Nope, many have. I sent a support request to the FCC and received
a reply a day leter including different links to the innards of
the ULS (licensing service) and voila they worked.