From: digest-replies@telecom-digest.org (Telecom Digest Moderator)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: The Rise and Fall of the Telecom Bubble
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:09:26 -0500
Sender: alias%iecc.com
 by: Telecom Digest Moder - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:09 UTC

https://www.fabricatedknowledge.com/p/lessons-from-history-the-rise-and

Unlike in 2000, the pure AI companies of interest today are private or
capped profit vehicles. So there’s a loss of visibility because they are
private. AI will result in successful companies, but I believe many of
the small AI companies of today will fail to make it. Tomorrow’s winners
are probably born today, but that’s some time. What I think has the most
direct analogy is the capacity building during the telecom bubble and
today’s AI infrastructure spending splurge. So let’s talk about it.

1995-6: The Internet and Deregulation of Telecommunications
On April 30th, the NSFnet, the precursor to the internet, was
decommissioned. This was the beginning of commercial and private
internet use and where our story begins. Excitement about the internet
was nascent then, and despite the high-flying late 1990s, the bull
spirit was alive and well with the first internet IPO of Netscape on
August 9, 1995. At the time, Netscape had the most market share in
internet browsers but almost no revenue or profits. This would be the
beginning of the speculative frenzy that culminated in 2000.