"Don't drop acid, take it pass-fail!" -- Bryan Michael Wendt

devel / comp.os.cpm / Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

SubjectAuthor
* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Dave McGuire
+* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Captain Nemo
|+- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Dave McGuire
|`* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52dxf
| +* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Douglas Miller
| |+* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Captain Nemo
| ||`* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Douglas Miller
| || `* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52dxf
| ||  `* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Douglas Miller
| ||   `* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52KP2 KP2
| ||    +* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Douglas Miller
| ||    |+- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52yeti
| ||    |`* Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Dave McGuire
| ||    | `- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52comp.os.cpm
| ||    `- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Steve Nickolas
| |`- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52bill
| `- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Dave McGuire
`- Gary Kildall, dead at age 52Paolo Amoroso

1
Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<udqdef$2k80$1@mail.neurotica.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4917&group=comp.os.cpm#4917

From: mcguire@lssmuseum.org (Dave McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Subject: Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:16:31 -0400
 by: Dave McGuire - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:16 UTC

On 9/11/23 21:00, KP2 KP2 wrote:
> [...]
>> Silicon Valley legend has it that Kildall, a passionate private
>> pilot, missed a crucial meeting because he decided to go flying
>> instead. While Kildall did fly that morning, Rolander said, he
>> attended the afternoon meeting.
>> IBM decided to hedge its bets. During a visit to tiny
>> Microsoft Corp., to obtain a version of its BASIC programming
>> language, IBM inquired if the company also could provide an
>> operating system.
>> Microsoft moves in
>> Even though he didn't have one, Microsoft founder Bill Gates
>> readily agreed to IBM's request. He bought a CP/M clone called
>> DOS from Seattle Computer Products, a company run by a friend
>> of Gates, for $250,000. That program became MS-DOS, proably
>> the most widely used software in the world, and helped turn
>> Gates into a billionaire.
>> Kildall had earlier sued Seattle Computer Products for
>> copyright infringement. When he confronted IBM with the fact,
>> IBM responded that it would agree to license CP/M as well -- if
>> Kildall agreed never to sue. He did, only to discover when the
>> IBM PC was introduced that the price of DOS was $40, while the
>> price of CP/M-86 was $200 more.
>> "It was only through inadequately sharp business hustling that
>> MS-DOS took the IBM cake when, by rights, CP/M should have done
>> so," Warren said.
>> But hard-nosed business was not Kildall's style.
>> "Basicly I am a gadget-oriented person," Kildall said in 1981.
>> "I like to work with gadgets, dials and knobs. I'm not a very
>> competitive person. I'm forced into it."
>> Kildasll remained active in the industry until his death. He
>> was Digital Research chairman until 1991, when Novell Inc.
>> bought the company. He started an early multimedia company in
>> Monterey in 1985, and later moved to Austin, Texas, to persue
>> the field. He recently returned to Monterey and spent the last
>> year and a half writing an unpublished book on the computer
>> industry called "Computer Connections."
>> Kildall was born in Seattle on May 19, 1942, and studied
>> computer science at the University of Washington, eventually
>> earning a Ph.D. He then took his post at the Naval
>> Postgraduate School.
>> Kildall met McEwen while in high school. The two married in
>> 1963 and were divorced 20 years later. Kildall married his
>> second wife, Karen, in 1986. They were recently divorced.
>> Kildall is survived by two children; Scott, of San Fransisco,
>> and Kristin, of Seattle; his mother, Emma; and a sister, Patti
>> Guberlet, both of Seattle.
>> Kildall, who was also race car enthusiast who collected and
>> rebuilt Grand Prix cars, will be cremated after a memorial
>> service later this week. Details are incomplete.
>> --
>> Greg Limes [not speaking for 3DO]
>> #include <disclaimer.h>
>> When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
>> PGP 0x1873DB65 // 12 8B 30 43 AA 88 8E F7 DD 50 97 D2 84 FD 5A 5C

That post was from 1994!

Tell me again why it was a good idea for Google to start mucking
around with Usenet?

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<l--cnbBrr9UbHJz4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4918&group=comp.os.cpm#4918

From: nemo@nowhere.org (Captain Nemo)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:31:50 +0000
 by: Captain Nemo - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:31 UTC

On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:25:03 -0700 (PDT), Aron Hoekstra wrote:

> Wow, talk about a necropost..

But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
Should Have Been Bill Gates".

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<udtl2p$13g4$1@mail.neurotica.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4919&group=comp.os.cpm#4919

From: mcguire@lssmuseum.org (Dave McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:45:13 -0400
 by: Dave McGuire - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 00:45 UTC

On 9/13/23 05:31, Captain Nemo wrote:
>> Wow, talk about a necropost..
>
> But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
> Should Have Been Bill Gates".

Hm. Almost forgivable, then. ;)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum
New Kensington, PA

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<udtlmj$2ba2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4920&group=comp.os.cpm#4920

From: dxforth@gmail.com (dxf)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:55:48 +1000
 by: dxf - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 00:55 UTC

On 13/09/2023 7:31 pm, Captain Nemo wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 20:25:03 -0700 (PDT), Aron Hoekstra wrote:
>
>> Wow, talk about a necropost..
>
> But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
> Should Have Been Bill Gates".

Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<1eb7837d-3bfa-424b-98b7-4b90ac630423n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4921&group=comp.os.cpm#4921

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: durgadas311@gmail.com (Douglas Miller)
 by: Douglas Miller - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 01:47 UTC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:55:49 PM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<udtqdc$1uc9$1@mail.neurotica.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4922&group=comp.os.cpm#4922

From: mcguire@lssmuseum.org (Dave McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 22:16:12 -0400
 by: Dave McGuire - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 02:16 UTC

On 9/13/23 20:55, dxf wrote:
>>> Wow, talk about a necropost..
>>
>> But Al's Geek Lab is about to do a 3 part YouTube video on "The Man That
>> Should Have Been Bill Gates".
>
> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.

Yup, he was neither sufficiently sleazy nor sufficiently willing to
take short cuts.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum
New Kensington, PA

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<x9WdnXZv6N4pT5_4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4923&group=comp.os.cpm#4923

From: nemo@nowhere.org (Captain Nemo)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:30:28 +0000
 by: Captain Nemo - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:30 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Douglas Miller wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:55:49 PM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
>> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.
>
> Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.

Correct. But a bad businessman.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<e0a50cbf-0241-456c-8127-e8b9d76cc99en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4924&group=comp.os.cpm#4924

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 02:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: paolo.amoroso@gmail.com (Paolo Amoroso)
 by: Paolo Amoroso - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:50 UTC

Next July, in 10 months, it will be 30 years since the death of Gary Kildall. Any upcoming books, press coverage, or other initiatives to remember him and his work?

As far as I know no biography of him is available. Any takers?

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<e8d0b22f-5502-4b75-9d52-cf57673c99acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4925&group=comp.os.cpm#4925

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 04:55:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: durgadas311@gmail.com (Douglas Miller)
 by: Douglas Miller - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:55 UTC

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 4:30:39 AM UTC-5, Captain Nemo wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Douglas Miller wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:55:49 PM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> >> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.
> >
> > Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.
> Correct. But a bad businessman.

Only in the sense that he didn't want to charge exorbitant prices for lousy product. He wasn't in it to be the richest man in the world. I wanted to provide a good product, and needed to charge for it in order to continue providing a good product. Sounds like the best kind of businessman to me.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<kmgeqlFcg04U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4926&group=comp.os.cpm#4926

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:06:28 -0400
 by: bill - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:06 UTC

On 9/13/2023 9:47 PM, Douglas Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 7:55:49 PM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
>> Clearly Kildall didn't have what it takes to be that.
>
> Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.

And his mother didn't work for IBM.

bill

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<ue3igf$3lol5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4927&group=comp.os.cpm#4927

From: dxforth@gmail.com (dxf)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:38:08 +1000
 by: dxf - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 06:38 UTC

On 14/09/2023 9:55 pm, Douglas Miller wrote:
> On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 4:30:39 AM UTC-5, Captain Nemo wrote:

>>> Correct, Gary was a good software engineer and a good human being.
>> Correct. But a bad businessman.
>
> Only in the sense that he didn't want to charge exorbitant prices for lousy product. He wasn't in it to be the richest man in the world. I wanted to provide a good product, and needed to charge for it in order to continue providing a good product. Sounds like the best kind of businessman to me.

To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<1d4c6c69-09a0-4662-8a48-8cce2c94579an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=4929&group=comp.os.cpm#4929

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 04:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: durgadas311@gmail.com (Douglas Miller)
 by: Douglas Miller - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:01 UTC

On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 1:38:10 AM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
> to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
> any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
> Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
> found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
> that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.

That's a rather grandiose rewrite of history, considering what actually happened. Gates didn't "drop" CP/M (especially considering that DOS started as a rip-off of CP/M), but circumstances (and IBM) dictated what happened. And to somehow say that DOS was great is really a failure to see it for what it was. The microcomputer market was blinded by the IBM name, and Gates was shrewd to tie himself to that post. True that he was able to escape the orbit around IBM, but it was IBM that launched him into that orbit in the first place.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<9cd2d5a6-15c6-4058-a9c8-60bb79dfbccan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5111&group=comp.os.cpm#5111

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jungletrain@outlook.com (KP2 KP2)
 by: KP2 KP2 - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:47 UTC

On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 4:01:17 AM UTC-7, Douglas Miller wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 1:38:10 AM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
> > To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
> > to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
> > any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
> > Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
> > found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
> > that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.
> That's a rather grandiose rewrite of history, considering what actually happened. Gates didn't "drop" CP/M (especially considering that DOS started as a rip-off of CP/M), but circumstances (and IBM) dictated what happened. And to somehow say that DOS was great is really a failure to see it for what it was. The microcomputer market was blinded by the IBM name, and Gates was shrewd to tie himself to that post. True that he was able to escape the orbit around IBM, but it was IBM that launched him into that orbit in the first place.
I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<b7e0014b-cd72-4aa6-a473-6f896cbdcdc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5112&group=comp.os.cpm#5112

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: durgadas311@gmail.com (Douglas Miller)
 by: Douglas Miller - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 17:06 UTC

On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 11:48:00 AM UTC-5, KP2 KP2 wrote:
> I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.

I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it. But, either way, I recall looking at the internals of the first version of PC-DOS and realizing that it was, architecturally, essentially CP/M. But just looking at what DRI did for the PC vs. the state of MS-DOS makes one wish that. Think about how long it took MS to actually get any OS that was truly multi-tasking, let alone stable.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<87v8cadnu4.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5113&group=comp.os.cpm#5113

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 17:34:11 +0000
<1d4c6c69-09a0-4662-8a48-8cce2c94579an@googlegroups.com>
<9cd2d5a6-15c6-4058-a9c8-60bb79dfbccan@googlegroups.com>
<b7e0014b-cd72-4aa6-a473-6f896cbdcdc9n@googlegroups.com>
 by: yeti - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 17:34 UTC

Douglas Miller <durgadas311@gmail.com> writes:

> I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS
> just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it.

"Quick and Dirty Operating System"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS

--
Fake signature.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2309161824120.7201@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5114&group=comp.os.cpm#5114

From: usotsuki@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:24:59 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 22:24 UTC

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023, KP2 KP2 wrote:

> On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 4:01:17 AM UTC-7, Douglas Miller wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 1:38:10 AM UTC-5, dxf wrote:
>>> To give Gates his due he was very good at forecasting trends and prepared
>>> to take risks. Seeing the IBM PC on the horizon, he dropped CP/M without
>>> any qualms. PC DOS 1.x - dated as it was - got his foot in the door.
>>> Within 2 years he produced MS-DOS 2.x and never looked back. Even IBM
>>> found itself in the back seat - just another supplier. It's Gates' name
>>> that was in lights and to whom the world was looking.
>> That's a rather grandiose rewrite of history, considering what actually
>> happened. Gates didn't "drop" CP/M (especially considering that DOS
>> started as a rip-off of CP/M), but circumstances (and IBM) dictated
>> what happened. And to somehow say that DOS was great is really a
>> failure to see it for what it was. The microcomputer market was blinded
>> by the IBM name, and Gates was shrewd to tie himself to that post. True
>> that he was able to escape the orbit around IBM, but it was IBM that
>> launched him into that orbit in the first place.
> I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it.
> Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.

Gates just bought what Tim Paterson produced, and if I understand
correctly, he just copied the APIs from the manuals.

-uso.

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<ue7b9p$tog$1@mail.neurotica.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5116&group=comp.os.cpm#5116

From: mcguire@lssmuseum.org (Dave McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 12:59:37 -0400
<1d4c6c69-09a0-4662-8a48-8cce2c94579an@googlegroups.com>
<9cd2d5a6-15c6-4058-a9c8-60bb79dfbccan@googlegroups.com>
<b7e0014b-cd72-4aa6-a473-6f896cbdcdc9n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Dave McGuire - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

On 9/16/23 13:06, Douglas Miller wrote:
>> I heard that Bill had reversed engineered CP/M and made DOS out of it. Only if Digital Research was Microsoft.
>
> I think Seattle Computer Products actually did the "dirty work" and MS just purchased their "rip-off" and ran with it. But, either way, I recall looking at the internals of the first version of PC-DOS and realizing that it was, architecturally, essentially CP/M. But just looking at what DRI did for the PC vs. the state of MS-DOS makes one wish that. Think about how long it took MS to actually get any OS that was truly multi-tasking, let alone stable.

"Stable". Yeah, maybe they'll get there someday.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum
New Kensington, PA

Re: Gary Kildall, dead at age 52

<7651fc2e-4572-4fde-af58-155972f49760n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=5118&group=comp.os.cpm#5118

Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:02:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: durgadas311@gmail.com (comp.os.cpm)
 by: comp.os.cpm - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:02 UTC

On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 11:42:42 AM UTC-5, comp.os.cpm wrote:
> Why are we still arguing who did what and when? its all very well documented :)
“History is Written by Victors.” but some of us remember things differently.