19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

devel / comp.theory / Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

SubjectAuthor
* Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
|`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
| +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|  `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
|   `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
| +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
| `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|  `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
|   +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
|   `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|    `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
|     `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|      +* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|      |`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
|      `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
|       +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
|       +* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
|       |`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
|       | `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
|       `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
 +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
 `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
  `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
   `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
    `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
     +- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
     `* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationFred. Zwarts
> [...]
       |     |+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
       |     ||+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationimmibis
       |     |||+* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
       |     ||||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
       |     |||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
       |     ||`- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
       |     |`* Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationolcott
       |     | `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
       |     `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon
       `- Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specificationRichard Damon

Pages:123
Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo2uuv$sh3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51398&group=comp.theory#51398

From: F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl (Fred. Zwarts)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:47:11 +0100
 by: Fred. Zwarts - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:47 UTC

Op 14.jan.2024 om 21:05 schreef olcott:
> On 1/14/2024 1:10 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Mike Terry agrees that every step of the older H that simulates
>>> itself simulating D is correct. He examined the x86 machine code
>>> to verify this.
>>>

>> Which makes it a correct PARTIAL simulation, not a correct simulation.
>>
>> Thus, your logic is still invalid.
>>
>> H has NOT correctly determined that a correct simulation of the input
>> would not halt.
>
> Anyone that is an expert at the C programming language
> can verify that this execution trace proves that D
> correctly simulated by H never reaches its own simulated
> line 06.
>
> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
> 02 {
> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 04   if (Halt_Status)
> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
> 06   return Halt_Status;
> 07 }
> 08
> 09 void main()
> 10 {
> 11   H(D,D);
> 12 }
>
> *Execution Trace*
> Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D);
>
> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted) > Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)

Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of that
"*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does not repeat".

> *Simulation invariant*
> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach past its own line 03.

And apparently he does not realize that that H, which is part of D and
therefore part of the input, does return, so that D continues with line 04.

I an afraid he will never understand this and just keeps repeating
(unless aborted).

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo34cg$tad2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51399&group=comp.theory#51399

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:19:44 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:19 UTC

On 1/15/24 10:47, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
> Op 14.jan.2024 om 21:05 schreef olcott:
>>
>> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted) > Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes
>> simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>
> Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of that
> "*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does not
> repeat".

Olcott's "aborted" means the outermost simulation layer chooses to abort
the simulation. Because of his design, the outermost simulation can
choose to abort, but the inner simulations know they are inner
simulations and will never abort. Of course, this leads to an incorrect
halting decision.

The outer H can be said to correctly decide the inner D doesn't abort,
but that means nothing since the inner D is a different program than the
one which it was asked to evaluate.

To put it in a way Olcott might understand, his simulator works like
this one:

void loop(ptr input) {
HERE: goto HERE;
} int H(ptr program, ptr input) {
begin_simulation(loop, input);
run_until_halt_or_loop_detected();
if(loop_detected)
return 0;
else
return 1;
}

It correctly simulates a looping program and detects a loop, but that
program isn't the one that was input so who cares?

> I an afraid he will never understand this and just keeps repeating
> (unless aborted).

Heh. Good one.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo38r9$3bks2$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51400&group=comp.theory#51400

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 07:35:53 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:35 UTC

On 1/15/24 12:26 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 06:23, immibis wrote:

>>> This state has an infinite loop appended, thus it is not a final state.
>>>
>> My bad. ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly simulated by embedded_H cannot possibly reach
>> its own simulated state of ⟨Ĥ.qy⟩.
>
> And ⟨Ĥ⟩ directly executed cannot possibly reach its own state of ⟨Ĥ.qy⟩
> or ⟨Ĥ.qn⟩

But if it fails to reach one of those states, the only possible reason
is that H failed to be a decider, which is a precondition for it being a
Halt Decider.

Seems you have proven that a machine can't be both a "Correct Simulator"
and a Decider, so a Correct Simulation based Halt Decider is merely a
contradiction of terms, like the Barber who shaves everyone who doesn't
shave themselves.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3ggl$v73u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51401&group=comp.theory#51401

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:46:45 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

On 1/15/2024 3:47 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> Which makes it a correct PARTIAL simulation, not a correct simulation.
>>>
>>> Thus, your logic is still invalid.
>>>
>>> H has NOT correctly determined that a correct simulation of the input
>>> would not halt.
>>
>> Anyone that is an expert at the C programming language
>> can verify that this execution trace proves that D
>> correctly simulated by H never reaches its own simulated
>> line 06.
>>
>> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
>> 02 {
>> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>> 04   if (Halt_Status)
>> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
>> 06   return Halt_Status;
>> 07 }
>> 08
>> 09 void main()
>> 10 {
>> 11   H(D,D);
>> 12 }
>>
>> *Execution Trace*
>> Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D);
>>
>> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted) > Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes
>> simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>
> Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of that
> "*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does not
> repeat".
>

>> *Simulation invariant*
>> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach past its own line 03.
>
> And apparently he does not realize that that H, which is part of D and
> therefore part of the input, does return, so that D continues with line 04.
>
> I an afraid he will never understand this and just keeps repeating
> (unless aborted).

The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3h7n$v9r6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51402&group=comp.theory#51402

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:59:03 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:59 UTC

On 1/15/24 15:46, olcott wrote:

> The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
> reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
> does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.

What is the definition of "correctly simulated by H"?

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3jt5$vpus$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51404&group=comp.theory#51404

From: F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl (Fred. Zwarts)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:44:37 +0100
 by: Fred. Zwarts - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:44 UTC

Op 15.jan.2024 om 15:46 schreef olcott:
> On 1/15/2024 3:47 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
>> Op 14.jan.2024 om 21:05 schreef olcott:

>>> Anyone that is an expert at the C programming language
>>> can verify that this execution trace proves that D
>>> correctly simulated by H never reaches its own simulated
>>> line 06.
>>>
>>> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
>>> 02 {
>>> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>>> 04   if (Halt_Status)
>>> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
>>> 06   return Halt_Status;
>>> 07 }
>>> 08
>>> 09 void main()
>>> 10 {
>>> 11   H(D,D);
>>> 12 }
>>>
>>> *Execution Trace*
>>> Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D);
>>>
>>> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted) > Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes
>>> simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>>
>> Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of that
>> "*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does not
>> repeat".
>>

>>> *Simulation invariant*
>>> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach past its own line 03.
>>
>> And apparently he does not realize that that H, which is part of D and
>> therefore part of the input, does return, so that D continues with
>> line 04.
>>
>> I an afraid he will never understand this and just keeps repeating
>> (unless aborted).
>
> The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
> reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
> does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.

Apparently, Olcott does not understand that the function H(D,D)
*correctly simulated by H* does return and therefore the function named
D *correctly simulated by H* reaches its own line 04 and then line 06.
This is the H that is included in D and therefore part of the input. The
H that does not return is not part of the input. H must decide on its
input, not on its non-input.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3l88$1000j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51405&group=comp.theory#51405

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:07:36 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

On 1/15/2024 9:44 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
> Op 15.jan.2024 om 15:46 schreef olcott:

>>> Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of
>>> that "*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does
>>> not repeat".

>>> And apparently he does not realize that that H, which is part of D
>>> and therefore part of the input, does return, so that D continues
>>> with line 04.
>>>
>>> I an afraid he will never understand this and just keeps repeating
>>> (unless aborted).
>>
>> The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
>> reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
>> does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.
>>

> Apparently, Olcott does not understand that the function H(D,D)
> *correctly simulated by H* does return

If that was true then you could show all of the detailed steps
with lines numbers of D how it does this.

It is impossible to show how it does this correctly
therefore you are proven to be WRONG.

[...]

No one can possibly provide the exact sequence of the line numbers
of D correctly simulated by H that differs from the above sequence.
*This proves that D correctly simulated by H does not halt*

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3nb2$109r9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51406&group=comp.theory#51406

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:43:14 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:43 UTC

On 1/15/24 17:07, olcott wrote:
> [something]

What is the definition of a correct simulation?

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3q26$10r23$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51407&group=comp.theory#51407

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:29:42 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:29 UTC

On 1/15/2024 10:43 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 17:07, olcott wrote:
> > [something]
>
> What is the definition of a correct simulation?

H executes the instructions of D as they are specified in D.

When HH does this it simulates itself simulating D until
it sees that this is a repeating state.

Begin Local Halt Decider Simulation Execution Trace Stored at:113027

machine stack stack machine assembly
address address data code language
======== ======== ======== ========= =============
[00001c42][00113013][00113017] 55 push ebp
[00001c43][00113013][00113017] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001c45][0011300f][00102fe3] 51 push ecx
[00001c46][0011300f][00102fe3] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08] ; D
[00001c49][0011300b][00001c42] 50 push eax
[00001c4a][0011300b][00001c42] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08] ; D
[00001c4d][00113007][00001c42] 51 push ecx
[00001c4e][00113003][00001c53] e80ff7ffff call 00001362 ; HH
New slave_stack at:14da47
[00001c42][0015da3b][0015da3f] 55 push ebp
[00001c43][0015da3b][0015da3f] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001c45][0015da37][0014da0b] 51 push ecx
[00001c46][0015da37][0014da0b] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08] ; D
[00001c49][0015da33][00001c42] 50 push eax
[00001c4a][0015da33][00001c42] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08] ; D
[00001c4d][0015da2f][00001c42] 51 push ecx
[00001c4e][0015da2b][00001c53] e80ff7ffff call 00001362 ; HH
Local Halt Decider: Infinite Recursion Detected Simulation Stopped

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo3vei$11lar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51408&group=comp.theory#51408

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:01:38 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:01 UTC

On 1/15/24 18:29, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 10:43 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/15/24 17:07, olcott wrote:
>>  > [something]
>>
>> What is the definition of a correct simulation?
>
> H executes the instructions of D as they are specified in D.

No it doesn't.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo40hq$11ri0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51409&group=comp.theory#51409

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:20:26 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 1/15/2024 1:01 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 18:29, olcott wrote:
>> On 1/15/2024 10:43 AM, immibis wrote:
>>> On 1/15/24 17:07, olcott wrote:
>>>  > [something]
>>>
>>> What is the definition of a correct simulation?
>>
>> H executes the instructions of D as they are specified in D.
>
> No it doesn't.

I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what these
steps should be.

01 int D(ptr x) // ptr is pointer to int function
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11 H(D,D);
12 }

When D correctly simulated by H reaches line 03
it is not allowed to simply jump to line 06.

When the simulated D calls a simulated H(D,D) the
it cannot possibly return to the simulated D.

If you can't understand this then you lack
sufficient skill in the C programming language.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo40s9$11ree$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51410&group=comp.theory#51410

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:26:00 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:26 UTC

On 1/15/24 20:20, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:01 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> H executes the instructions of D as they are specified in D.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what these
> steps should be.

They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if you
want it.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo43i7$12ca4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51411&group=comp.theory#51411

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:11:51 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:11 UTC

On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 20:20, olcott wrote:

>>> No it doesn't.
>>
>> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what these
>> steps should be.
>>

> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if you
> want it.

main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.

main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
of H thus not the simulated H.

Perhaps you lack sufficient software engineering skill to see this?
Exactly which computer languages are you an expert in?

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo43pl$12dm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51412&group=comp.theory#51412

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:15:48 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:15 UTC

On 1/15/24 21:11, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what
>>> these steps should be.
>>>

>> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
>> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if
>> you want it.
>
> main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.
>
> main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
> H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
> H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
> of H thus not the simulated H.

If you change it so main() invokes H1(D,D) you will get the execution
trace you are looking for.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo464o$12qel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51413&group=comp.theory#51413

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:55:51 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:55 UTC

On 1/15/2024 2:15 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 21:11, olcott wrote:

>>> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
>>> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if
>>> you want it.
>>
>> main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.
>>
>> main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
>> H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
>> H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
>> of H thus not the simulated H.
>
> If you change it so main() invokes H1(D,D) you will get the execution
> trace you are looking for.

I have decades as a professional C++ software engineer, it seems
that your skills are insufficient to understand what I am saying.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4gv1$149p4$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51418&group=comp.theory#51418

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:00:33 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:00 UTC

On 1/14/2024 11:23 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 06:17, olcott wrote:

>>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly simulated by embedded_H cannot possibly reach its
>>> own simulated final state of ⟨Ĥ.qy⟩.
>>>

>> This state has an infinite loop appended, thus it is not a final state.
>>
> My bad. ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly simulated by embedded_H cannot possibly reach its
> own simulated state of ⟨Ĥ.qy⟩.

⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly simulated by embedded_H cannot possibly halt.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4h90$149p4$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51419&group=comp.theory#51419

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:05:52 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:05 UTC

On 1/15/2024 5:19 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 10:47, Fred. Zwarts wrote:
>> Op 14.jan.2024 om 21:05 schreef olcott:
>>>
>>> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted) > Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes
>>> simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>>
>> Apparently, Olcott does not realize that H does abort. Because of that
>> "*keeps repeating* (unless aborted)" can be replaced with "Does not
>> repeat".
>
> Olcott's "aborted" means the outermost simulation layer chooses to abort
> the simulation. Because of his design, the outermost simulation can
> choose to abort, but the inner simulations know they are inner
> simulations and will never abort. Of course, this leads to an incorrect
> halting decision.
>
> The outer H can be said to correctly decide the inner D doesn't abort,
> but that means nothing since the inner D is a different program than the
> one which it was asked to evaluate.

The inner simulations never have enough information to abort.
The outer simulation is always one recursive simulation
ahead of the next inner one.

Introduction to the Theory of Computation 3rd Edition
by Michael Sipser (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Theory-Computation-Michael-Sipser/dp/113318779X

If I was wrong then the best author of the best selling
book on the theory of computation would not have agreed
with this.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4he4$149p4$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51420&group=comp.theory#51420

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:08:36 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:08 UTC

On 1/15/2024 8:59 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 15:46, olcott wrote:
>>
>> The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
>> reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
>> does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.
>>
> What is the definition of "correctly simulated by H"?

H correctly simulates the exact sequence of instructions
that D specifies until it correctly matches a non-halting
behavior pattern.

HH(D,D) goes ahead and simulates itself simulating D
until D tries to invoke another simulated HH(D,D).

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4hid$149p4$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51421&group=comp.theory#51421

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:10:52 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:10 UTC

On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 20:20, olcott wrote:

>>> No it doesn't.
>>
>> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what these
>> steps should be.
>>

> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if you
> want it.

When you try and show every single line number of D correctly
simulated by H then you find out that you are wrong.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4hmf$149p4$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51422&group=comp.theory#51422

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:13:03 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:13 UTC

On 1/15/2024 2:15 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/15/24 21:11, olcott wrote:

>>> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
>>> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if
>>> you want it.
>>
>> main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.
>>
>> main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
>> H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
>> H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
>> of H thus not the simulated H.
>
> If you change it so main() invokes H1(D,D) you will get the execution
> trace you are looking for.

You must show every single line number of D correctly simulated by
H. Then you can see that it cannot possibly be the same as D
correctly simulated by H1, BECAUSE D DOES DOES NOT CALL H1.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4q6e$3dgd5$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51424&group=comp.theory#51424

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:06 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:38 UTC

On 1/15/24 7:10 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what
>>> these steps should be.
>>>

>> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
>> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if
>> you want it.
>
> When you try and show every single line number of D correctly
> simulated by H then you find out that you are wrong.

Dishonest DODGE of a strawman.

D(D) Halts.

Therefore H(D,D) returning 0 is wrong

To deny that is to admit to being a LIAR as those are the definitions.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4q6g$3dgd5$3@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51425&group=comp.theory#51425

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:08 -0500
<uo0uo6$gc1s$1@dont-email.me> <uo19b4$i323$1@dont-email.me>
<uo1aff$i517$3@dont-email.me> <uo1bj6$38s0g$12@i2pn2.org>
<uo1epr$ir1v$2@dont-email.me> <uo2uuv$sh3e$1@dont-email.me>
<uo3ggl$v73u$1@dont-email.me> <uo3jt5$vpus$1@dont-email.me>
<uo3l88$1000j$1@dont-email.me> <uo3nb2$109r9$1@dont-email.me>
<uo3q26$10r23$1@dont-email.me> <uo3vei$11lar$1@dont-email.me>
<uo40hq$11ri0$1@dont-email.me> <uo40s9$11ree$1@dont-email.me>
<uo43i7$12ca4$1@dont-email.me> <uo43pl$12dm2$1@dont-email.me>
<uo464o$12qel$1@dont-email.me>

On 1/15/24 3:55 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 2:15 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.
>>>
>>> main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
>>> H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
>>> H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
>>> of H thus not the simulated H.
>>
>> If you change it so main() invokes H1(D,D) you will get the execution
>> trace you are looking for.
>
> I have decades as a professional C++ software engineer, it seems
> that your skills are insufficient to understand what I am saying.

You have proven that any claim you have made to be a software engineer
was likely done as fraud.

You are proving yourself to be an absolute idiot, claiming that things
that are different must be the same.

This just proves you are insane.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4q6i$3dgd5$4@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51426&group=comp.theory#51426

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:10 -0500

On 1/15/24 3:11 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what
>>> these steps should be.
>>>

>> They are the same steps that are simulated by your program when H1
>> simulates D. You can easily create the execution trace yourself, if
>> you want it.
>
> main() invokes D(D) that invokes H(D,D) that returns to D.
>
> main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D) that calls a simulated
> H(D,D) that cannot possibly return to its caller. When the invoked
> H(D,D) returns to main() this is an entirely different instance
> of H thus not the simulated H.

So, you are admitting that H's simulation doesn't match reality!

> Perhaps you lack sufficient software engineering skill to see this?
> Exactly which computer languages are you an expert in?

You seem to lack sufficient understanding of the basics of computing.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4q6m$3dgd5$5@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51427&group=comp.theory#51427

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:14 -0500

On 1/15/24 2:20 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:01 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> H executes the instructions of D as they are specified in D.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>
> I think that you know that it does otherwise you could show what these
> steps should be.
>
> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
> 02 {
> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 04   if (Halt_Status)
> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
> 06   return Halt_Status;
> 07 }
> 08
> 09 void main()
> 10 {
> 11   H(D,D);
> 12 }
>
> When D correctly simulated by H reaches line 03
> it is not allowed to simply jump to line 06.

No, it jumps to the first line of H, so your trace is just incorrect.

> When the simulated D calls a simulated H(D,D) the
> it cannot possibly return to the simulated D.

But since when ACTUAL D calls H(D,D) it does, that shows that H's
simulation is just incorrect.

> If you can't understand this then you lack
> sufficient skill in the C programming language.

Your failure to undestand shows that you just don't understand how
computers work.

Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification

<uo4q6n$3dgd5$6@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51428&group=comp.theory#51428

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:15 -0500

On 1/15/24 7:08 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 8:59 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/15/24 15:46, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> The function named D *correctly simulated by H* cannot possibly
>>> reach its own line 06 (final state) and halt. If a function
>>> does not reach its own final state then IT DOES NOT HALT.
>>>
>> What is the definition of "correctly simulated by H"?
>
> H correctly simulates the exact sequence of instructions
> that D specifies until it correctly matches a non-halting
> behavior pattern.
>
> HH(D,D) goes ahead and simulates itself simulating D
> until D tries to invoke another simulated HH(D,D).

And the "Correct Patterns" you claim are incorrect as they match correct
simulations that halt.

This has been pointed out to you, so you are caught in your lie.

devel / comp.theory / Re: Correction to of the error in the halting problem specification