Be consistent. -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

devel / comp.theory / Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

SubjectAuthor
* Some definitions for Olcottimmibis
+* Some definitions for OlcottMikko
> [...]
|  ||  |  |   `* Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartolcott
|  ||  |  |    +- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartRichard Damon
|  ||  |  |    `- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartimmibis
|  ||  |  `* Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartolcott
|  ||  |   `- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartRichard Damon
|  ||  `- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartRichard Damon
|  |`- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartolcott
|  `* Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartRichard Damon
|   `* Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartolcott
|    +- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartimmibis
|    `- Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smartRichard Damon
`* Some definitions for OlcottJeff Barnett
 +- Some definitions for Olcottolcott
 `* Re: Some definitions for Olcottimmibis
  `* Re: Some definitions for Olcottolcott
   `* Re: Some definitions for Olcottimmibis
    `* Re: Some definitions for Olcottolcott
     +* Re: Some definitions for Olcottimmibis
     |`* Re: Some definitions for Olcottolcott
     | `- Re: Some definitions for Olcottimmibis
     `- Re: Some definitions for OlcottRichard Damon

Pages:123
Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<unu8vg$3vchl$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51297&group=comp.theory#51297

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:07:28 -0600
 by: olcott - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:07 UTC

On 1/13/2024 5:56 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/12/24 17:46, olcott wrote:

>>> If that was false then the question of the halting paradox would be:
>>> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct
>>> execution of D(D) halt?"
>>>

>> I am simply using your own reasoning and putting the full context
>> of the question that H is being asked directly into the question
>> just like you did for the Barber Paradox.
>
> No, you are putting the incorrect context in.
>
> *The correct context is:*
> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct execution
> of D(D) halt?"

You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.

*You are denying reality, this is not a good sign*

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<unubs9$3sb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51298&group=comp.theory#51298

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:56:56 -0600
 by: olcott - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:56 UTC

On 1/13/2024 5:56 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/12/24 17:46, olcott wrote:

>>> If that was false then the question of the halting paradox would be:
>>> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct
>>> execution of D(D) halt?"
>>>

>> I am simply using your own reasoning and putting the full context
>> of the question that H is being asked directly into the question
>> just like you did for the Barber Paradox.
>
> No, you are putting the incorrect context in.
>
> *The correct context is:*
> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct execution
> of D(D) halt?"

So you are wrong about this?
On 1/6/2024 1:54 PM, immibis wrote:
> "Does the barber shave himself?" has a correct answer: it's one of
> "yes" or "no".
>
> "Does a barber who shaves every man who does not shave himself shave
> himself?" has no correct answer.

*Applying your same reasoning to the Barber Paradox*
When we know whether or not the barber shaves himself and
this barber shaves everyone that does not shave themselves
then we can answer: Does the barber shave himself?

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<unushs$35our$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51319&group=comp.theory#51319

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:41:32 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:41 UTC

On 1/13/24 10:56 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/13/2024 5:56 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> I am simply using your own reasoning and putting the full context
>>> of the question that H is being asked directly into the question
>>> just like you did for the Barber Paradox.
>>
>> No, you are putting the incorrect context in.
>>
>> *The correct context is:*
>> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct
>> execution of D(D) halt?"
>>

> So you are wrong about this?
> On 1/6/2024 1:54 PM, immibis wrote:
> > "Does the barber shave himself?" has a correct answer: it's one of
> > "yes" or "no".
> >
> > "Does a barber who shaves every man who does not shave himself shave
> > himself?" has no correct answer.
>
> *Applying your same reasoning to the Barber Paradox*
> When we know whether or not the barber shaves himself and
> this barber shaves everyone that does not shave themselves
> then we can answer: Does the barber shave himself?

And the problem in the Barber paradox was that the BARBER doesn't exist,
not that there was any problem with shaving.

In the same way, your HALT DECIDER doesn't exist, the one that
supposedly correctly decideds based on its correct simulation of the input.

So, nothing wrong with "Halting", everything wrong with trying to define
the criteria to be based on the deciders own simulation instead of the
actual behavior.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<unushu$35our$3@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51320&group=comp.theory#51320

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:41:34 -0500

On 1/13/24 10:07 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/13/2024 5:56 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> I am simply using your own reasoning and putting the full context
>>> of the question that H is being asked directly into the question
>>> just like you did for the Barber Paradox.
>>
>> No, you are putting the incorrect context in.
>>
>> *The correct context is:*
>> "When H correctly solves the halting problem, does the direct
>> execution of D(D) halt?"
>>

> You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
> opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
> to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
> not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.
>
> *You are denying reality, this is not a good sign*

But that only happens when the input isn't the input required of the
proof, naming an input that represents an ACTUAL PROGRAM.

And even then, the INPUT behaved the same, it was that H does an
incorrect simulation and aborted based on assuming the H that D called
was a different routine than it actually was.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo07to$cic5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51341&group=comp.theory#51341

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:01:44 +0100
 by: immibis - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:01 UTC

On 1/13/24 16:07, olcott wrote:

> You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
> opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
> to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
> not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.

H and H1 are different programs because they check for different machine
addresses. It is not surprising, or profound, that they have different
behaviour.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo109b$gc1s$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51351&group=comp.theory#51351

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:57:31 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:57 UTC

On 1/14/2024 3:01 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/13/24 16:07, olcott wrote:
>>
>> You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
>> opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
>> to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
>> not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.
>
> H and H1 are different programs because they check for different machine
> addresses. It is not surprising, or profound, that they have different
> behaviour.

We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
simulated by H cannot possibly halt, why is this so
difficult for you? Do you have no experience doing
actual programming?

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo187v$38s0g$5@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51357&group=comp.theory#51357

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:13:19 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:13 UTC

On 1/14/24 10:57 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/14/2024 3:01 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/13/24 16:07, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
>>> opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
>>> to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
>>> not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.
>>
>> H and H1 are different programs because they check for different
>> machine addresses. It is not surprising, or profound, that they have
>> different behaviour.
>>

> We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
> simulated by H cannot possibly halt, why is this so
> difficult for you? Do you have no experience doing
> actual programming?

But those are different "D", and you are just caught in your lie.

The D(D) That Halts is the D that is based on the decider that you claim
is correct, and that aborts its simulation (and thus doesn't do an
actually complete correcdt simulation) and that proves that it wasn't
correct.

THe D correctly simulated by H, by the definition, a diffferent program
D based on a different H, the H, that never aborts its simulation and
thus never gives an answer.

Why are you so supprised that different programs behave differently.
This just shows that you can't do "Halt Deciding" on "Templates" but
must do it on the actual individual programs, as Compuation Theory
actually says you should.

This just throws out your entire body of logic, as it seems to have been
based on an improper question.

I guess YOU are the one that doesn't have any real experience with
actual programming.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo2dqd$qhj2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51388&group=comp.theory#51388

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 05:54:36 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 04:54 UTC

On 1/14/24 16:57, olcott wrote:
> On 1/14/2024 3:01 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/13/24 16:07, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> You continue to deny the verified fact that an input that does the
>>> opposite of whatever Boolean value that H returns has been proven
>>> to have different behavior than this same input to H1 where D has
>>> not been defined to do the opposite of whatever H1 returns.
>>
>> H and H1 are different programs because they check for different
>> machine addresses. It is not surprising, or profound, that they have
>> different behaviour.
>>

> We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
> simulated by H cannot possibly halt

Definition of "correctly simulated":

X is correctly simulated by Y if the simulation of X by Y behaves
isomorphically to the direct execution of X.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo4ghu$149p4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51414&group=comp.theory#51414

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:53:34 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 23:53 UTC

On 1/14/2024 10:54 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/14/24 16:57, olcott wrote:

>>> H and H1 are different programs because they check for different
>>> machine addresses. It is not surprising, or profound, that they have
>>> different behaviour.
>>>

>> We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
>> simulated by H cannot possibly halt
>
> Definition of "correctly simulated":
>
> X is correctly simulated by Y if the simulation of X by Y behaves
> isomorphically to the direct execution of X.

The C programming language <is> a formal language of a formal system.

The execution trace that D correctly simulated by H specifies <is>
a formal proof of the behavior that D correctly simulated by H
specifies.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo4q6v$3dgd5$10@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51432&group=comp.theory#51432

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:38:23 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:38 UTC

On 1/15/24 6:53 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/14/2024 10:54 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
>>> simulated by H cannot possibly halt
>>
>> Definition of "correctly simulated":
>>
>> X is correctly simulated by Y if the simulation of X by Y behaves
>> isomorphically to the direct execution of X.
>>

> The C programming language <is> a formal language of a formal system.
>
> The execution trace that D correctly simulated by H specifies <is>
> a formal proof of the behavior that D correctly simulated by H
> specifies.

And proves that your H that does that doesn't answer.

And the H that does answer doesn't correctly simulate.

Your H is just like the barber, either it shaves itself because it
doesn't shave itself, or it doesn't shave itself because it shaves itself.

Re: Encoding the context directly in the question is smart

<uo77se$1lvls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=51465&group=comp.theory#51465

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:43:58 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:43 UTC

On 1/16/24 00:53, olcott wrote:
> On 1/14/2024 10:54 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> We already know that D(D) halts and that D correctly
>>> simulated by H cannot possibly halt
>>
>> Definition of "correctly simulated":
>>
>> X is correctly simulated by Y if the simulation of X by Y behaves
>> isomorphically to the direct execution of X.
>>

> The C programming language <is> a formal language of a formal system.

I didn't see cutm. Where is it?

> The execution trace that D correctly simulated by H specifies <is>
> a formal proof of the behavior that D correctly simulated by H
> specifies.

My H just writes completely random traces. I suppose that's a formal
proof too?