There can be no twisted thought without a twisted molecule. -- R. W. Gerard

devel / comp.theory / The directly executed D(D) does not halt

SubjectAuthor
* The directly executed D(D) does not haltolcott
`* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltimmibis
 `* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltolcott
  +* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltimmibis
  |`* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltolcott
  | +* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltimmibis
  | |`* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltolcott
  | | `* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltimmibis
  | |  `* Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltolcott
  | |   `- Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltimmibis
  | `- Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltRichard Damon
  `- Re: The directly executed D(D) does not haltRichard Damon

1
The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uorjma$1tgq8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52399&group=comp.theory#52399

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: The directly executed D(D) does not halt
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:08:09 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:08 UTC

01 int D(ptr x) // ptr is pointer to int function
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }

Any computation that only stops running because
some step of this computation has been aborted
DOES NOT HALT!

The directly executed D(D) only stops running
because the recursive invocation that it specifies
has been aborted.

On 1/20/2024 7:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> HH STILL Can't do a correct simulation of that input, as a
> correct simulation of that input takes an unbounded number
> of steps...

HH correctly detects that in N steps of correct simulation
which means this:

DD correctly simulated by HH cannot possibly reach its simulated
final state in 1 to ∞ steps of correct simulation.

HH correctly detects this after N steps of correct simulation.

Thus meeting the halt criteria that it is ALWAYS correct to
abort any simulation and report non-halting for any input that
would not otherwise terminate.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uork3q$1tg7s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52400&group=comp.theory#52400

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:15:22 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:15 UTC

On 1/24/24 19:08, olcott wrote:
> [nonsense]

The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uorkac$1tiu7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52401&group=comp.theory#52401

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:18:52 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:18 UTC

On 1/24/2024 12:15 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/24/24 19:08, olcott wrote:
>> [nonsense]
>
> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.

The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uormd0$1tusn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52404&group=comp.theory#52404

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:53:45 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:53 UTC

On 1/24/24 19:18, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 12:15 PM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/24/24 19:08, olcott wrote:
>>> [nonsense]
>>
>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>
> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
> BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
> Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
> a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
> then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).

A program which reaches a final state and exits normally halts.

A program which is aborted does not reach a final state and exit normally.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uormhf$1tt55$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52405&group=comp.theory#52405

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:56:47 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:56 UTC

On 1/24/2024 12:53 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/24/24 19:18, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>>
>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>> BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
>> Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
>> a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
>> then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).
>>

> A program which reaches a final state and exits normally halts.
>
> A program which is aborted does not reach a final state and exit normally.

Infinite recursion that has its second recursive call
aborted superficially seems to halt.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uormkm$1tusn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52407&group=comp.theory#52407

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:58:30 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:58 UTC

On 1/24/24 19:56, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 12:53 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>>> BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
>>> Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
>>> a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
>>> then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).
>>>

>> A program which reaches a final state and exits normally halts.
>>
>> A program which is aborted does not reach a final state and exit
>> normally.
>
> Infinite recursion that has its second recursive call
> aborted superficially seems to halt.

An aborted simulation returns normal control to the simulator.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uornar$1tt55$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52409&group=comp.theory#52409

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:10:19 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:10 UTC

On 1/24/2024 12:58 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/24/24 19:56, olcott wrote:

>>> A program which reaches a final state and exits normally halts.
>>>
>>> A program which is aborted does not reach a final state and exit
>>> normally.
>>
>> Infinite recursion that has its second recursive call
>> aborted superficially seems to halt.
>>
> An aborted simulation returns normal control to the simulator.

01 int Infinite_Recursion(u32 N)
02 {
03 Infinite_Recursion(N);
04 return 1;
05 }

When ONLY the recursive invocation is aborted
(H simply skips line 03) then Infinite_Recursion()
returns 1 to its caller.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uosgqm$e02s$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52422&group=comp.theory#52422

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:25:26 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 02:25 UTC

On 1/24/24 1:18 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 12:15 PM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/24/24 19:08, olcott wrote:
>>> [nonsense]
>>
>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>
> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
> BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
> Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
> a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
> then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).

I'E, you think if I kill John, then his twin brother James will fall
over dead.

The fact athat ONE copy of D had its simulation abborted does not affect
anothe rcopy of that same computation.

By your ending statement, yo are just announcing that you are not
working on the Hatling problem but POOP, as the Halting Criteria is NOT
about "correct simulation" needing to be aborted, but about the behavior
of the actual machine directly run and if it reaches a final state.

Maybe you have great POOP, but you don't know what it means to Halt.

So, I guess you life if just overflowing with that unending POOP.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uosgqo$e02s$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52423&group=comp.theory#52423

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:25:28 -0500

On 1/24/24 1:56 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 12:53 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> The directly executed D(D) reaches a final state and exits normally.
>>> BECAUSE ANOTHER ASPECT OF THE SAME COMPUTATION HAS BEEN ABORTED,
>>> Thus meeting the correct non-halting criteria if any step of
>>> a computation must be aborted to prevent its infinite execution
>>> then this computation DOES NOT HALT (even if it looks like it does).
>>>

>> A program which reaches a final state and exits normally halts.
>>
>> A program which is aborted does not reach a final state and exit
>> normally.
>
> Infinite recursion that has its second recursive call
> aborted superficially seems to halt.

If the outer copy halts because of that, it DOES.

DEFINITION.

You are just full of your POOP.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uotmus$2afjf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52450&group=comp.theory#52450

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:16:13 +0100
 by: immibis - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:16 UTC

On 1/24/24 20:10, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2024 12:58 PM, immibis wrote:

>>> Infinite recursion that has its second recursive call
>>> aborted superficially seems to halt.
>>>
>> An aborted simulation returns normal control to the simulator.
>
> 01 int Infinite_Recursion(u32 N)
> 02 {
> 03  Infinite_Recursion(N);
> 04  return 1;
> 05 }
>
> When ONLY the recursive invocation is aborted
> (H simply skips line 03) then Infinite_Recursion()
> returns 1 to its caller.

The CPU which directly executes Infinite_Recursion cannot skip line 3.

H is not involved. Why do you fucking talk about H? There is no H. There
is only Infinite_Recursion.

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uottah$2bcee$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52456&group=comp.theory#52456

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:04:49 -0600
 by: olcott - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:04 UTC

On 1/25/2024 7:16 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/24/24 20:10, olcott wrote:

>>> An aborted simulation returns normal control to the simulator.
>>
>> 01 int Infinite_Recursion(u32 N)
>> 02 {
>> 03  Infinite_Recursion(N);
>> 04  return 1;
>> 05 }
>>
>> When ONLY the recursive invocation is aborted
>> (H simply skips line 03) then Infinite_Recursion()
>> returns 1 to its caller.
>>
> The CPU which directly executes Infinite_Recursion cannot skip line 3.

It is a virtual CPU that the simulator can do whatever
it wants to.

> H is not involved.

H is the primary termination analyzer that analyzes most of
the same inputs.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: The directly executed D(D) does not halt

<uotuag$2bkba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=52458&group=comp.theory#52458

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:21:52 +0100
 by: immibis - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:21 UTC

On 1/25/24 16:04, olcott wrote:
> On 1/25/2024 7:16 AM, immibis wrote:

>>> 01 int Infinite_Recursion(u32 N)
>>> 02 {
>>> 03  Infinite_Recursion(N);
>>> 04  return 1;
>>> 05 }
>>>
>>> When ONLY the recursive invocation is aborted
>>> (H simply skips line 03) then Infinite_Recursion()
>>> returns 1 to its caller.
>>>
>> The CPU which directly executes Infinite_Recursion cannot skip line 3.
>>

> It is a virtual CPU that the simulator can do whatever
> it wants to.

No, it is a real CPU. That is what direct execution means. Direct
execution means execution on a real CPU.

>> H is not involved.
>
> H is the primary termination analyzer that analyzes most of
> the same inputs.

H is not my CPU.