"Were there no women, men might live like gods." -- Thomas Dekker

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

SubjectAuthor
* need data backup program that writes to ext HDDbilsch01
+* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDGraham J
|+* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDZaidy036
||+- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDBig Al
||`* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDknuttle
|| `- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDAndy Burns
|+* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDBig Al
||`- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDZaidy036
|`* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDStan Brown
| +* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDJoerg Walther
| |+* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDPaul
| ||`* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDChar Jackson
| || `- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDPaul
| |`* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDwasbit
| | `- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDJoerg Walther
| `* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDChar Jackson
|  `- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDPaul
+* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDmick
|`* Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDwasbit
| `- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDAnt
+- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDVanguardLH
+* THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFObilsch01
|`* Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFOCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFOFrank Slootweg
|  +* Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFOCarlos E. R.
|  |`* Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFOFrank Slootweg
|  | `- Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFO...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  `- Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFOGeof Robin
+- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDCarlos E.R.
+- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDFokke Nauta
+- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDEGK
`- Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDDPaul

Pages:12
Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFO

<uuars6$1he50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5252

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INFO
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 22:21:08 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 05:21 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote on 3/30/24 12:29 PM:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-30 16:54, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, he did say thanks in the same thread (see 'References:' header),
>>> but it would indeed have been nice if he had used '(was: ...)' or some
>>> such construct in his 'Subject:' header.
>>
>> I don't know what happened, but Thunderbird in two machines does not
>> recognize the parenthood.
>
> Perhaps Thunderbird can/is_set_to sort by subject and then thread (by
> 'References:')? As there is no other article with the same subject, the
> article becomes an orphan, somewhere in the list of threads.

Or maybe another configured 'View' setting.

In Tbird - sorting by Subject, Threaded retains bilsch01's reply in the
same thread.

My view preference in TBird and SeaMonkey are Date, Threaded, Descending

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<uub8gh$1k5i5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5254

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:56:51 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 08:56 UTC

On 30/03/2024 17:02, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> Not if you assign it a drive letter. Windows will the remember and
>> use the same letter when you connect that drive, as long as you don't
>> create a conflict by assigning another drive the same letter _and_
>> connecting them at the same time.
>
> Things like that do happen, that's why I always have USBDLM installed:
> https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.

Nice programme but it's command line only.
No GUI (AFAIK) but there is a long help page.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<p2ai0jd6lr1bjk3aocgopot5hterokurmt@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5255

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 11:13:22 +0200
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:13 UTC

wasbit wrote:

>> Things like that do happen, that's why I always have USBDLM installed:
>> https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.
>Nice programme but it's command line only.

You do not have to use the command line (and if you had, wtf?); there is
one cmd file you can double click to install the service and one to
uninstall.

>No GUI (AFAIK) but there is a long help page.

There is just usbdlm.ini, basically a text file, in which you can make
entries about how drive letters are supposed to be handled, all well
documented.

-jw-

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<2eoi0jtkpiuktemc7kq8hrq2f7b1eg0hce@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5257

From: memyself@null.net (EGK)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 09:16:21 -0400
 by: EGK - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 13:16 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:54:06 -0700, bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

>I backup a 15 GB folder containing many files about twice per year.
>I use linux ddCopy for that but now I want to use a windows program.
>I want to do the backup to an external HDD.
>I'm willing to pay for the program, but prefer free.
>
>QUESTION: Please suggest a program for this kind of backup.

I like Amomei backupper. It backs up whole drives or partitions much faster
than doing a file by file copy. You can also browse the backup files
created and copy individual files from it. The basic version is free and
can even run on a schedule.

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<uuebma$2ghm4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5263&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5263

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:09:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:09 UTC

On 3/31/2024 1:05 AM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2024 23:35:14 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I have one computer, where almost all the drive letters are used up.
>> When I plug in the backup drive, it becomes T: because... that's
>> all that is left.
>>
>> On this computer, I'm using three letters (C,H,S).
>
> Are the drives named Cylinders, Heads, and Sectors?
>
> All of my drives are pooled so I just use a single letter, D:.

The busy computer is an "archive", with verbatim copies of historical interest.
It's on SSDs to make it faster to search. Some of the material has come
from motherboards that have died and left orphan disks.

The C,H,S is a coincidental joke. I didn't do that just for the
the reference. The S: is Shared. The H: was lifted enough to make
some room for some other activities. When I'm booted off H: , the lettering
isn't nearly as clever.

Paul

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<uuec55$2glc4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5264&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5264

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:17:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:17 UTC

On 3/31/2024 1:02 AM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:51:29 -0700, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:05:00 +0000, Graham J wrote:
>>> Be aware that the drive letter for an external HDD may change
>>> (apparently at random each time you connect it) so being able to change
>>> the destination drive letter in one easy edit is well worthwhile.
>>
>> Not if you assign it a drive letter. Windows will the remember and
>> use the same letter when you connect that drive, as long as you don't
>> create a conflict by assigning another drive the same letter _and_
>> connecting them at the same time. (I have three external drives, all
>> assigned the letter F, but I use them one at a time.)
>>
>> To assign a drive letter:
>>
>> 1. Open a Run dialog and type diskmgmt.msc (or type that in a command
>> prompt).
>>
>> 2. Right-click on the disk in the list and select "Change drive
>> letter and paths."
>>
>> 3. A dialog box appears. Click Change and choose a letter in the
>> dropdown that appears, then OK. (Assigned letters for other currently
>> mounted disks will not be included in the list.)
>
> For GUI users, right-click on This Computer (on the Desktop or in File Explorer,
> as two examples) and select Manage, then select Disk Management.

Disk Management is in the right-click Start menu.
That's an improvement over Win7. The nice thing
about launching it from the Start Menu, is you don't
have the Computer Management side bars.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/021nsG7v/disk-management-right-click-start.gif

Paul

Re: need data backup program that writes to ext HDD

<uuecde$2gned$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5265&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5265

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:21:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:21 UTC

On 3/30/2024 3:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been using a free program called Syncback Free.
>> https://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html
>> There are paid version, but only needed if you are using the program in
>> a commercial setting.
>
> The free version does not support VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) which is
> needed to backup locked files. Because of this, I had to pay to upgrade
> to a Lite* version that does support VSC**. I already have a many-year
> setup working with their free version, and paying to add VSC support
> meant I didn't have to change anything (other than no longer seeing
> errors in the logs on trying to copy files that were locked).
>
> * They no longer have their Lite edition ($20). The next step up now
> from their free version is their SE edition ($40). If I was to
> start again, free FreeFileSync would be more attractive than a $40
> solution although I find FreeFileSync's UI is clumsy.
>
> ** A solution is for you to use "vssadmin create shadow" to create a
> shadow copy of the source, and use that in the sync job. Most
> users are not comfortable using vssadmin, or learning about
> shadows. Plus, the "create" directive is not available in vssadmin
> in Home editions of Windows.
>
> https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/pdf/SyncBackFree.pdf
> "VSS is not available in SyncBackFree."
> (Only in SE and Pro editions)
>
> There are some other features missing in SyncBack Free that might be
> important to some users. While SB Free can sync using FTP, it doesn't
> support secure FTP (sFTP, FTPs). No file integrity check in free
> version (to ensure what landed at the target matches the source). Lots
> of features missing in the free version. See the comparison table at:
>
> https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
>
> I no longer have my comparison sheet when I first trialed both SyncBack
> Free and FreeFileSync to check which features were not common in both,
> or to compare SyncBack Lite (and their SE edition) with FreeFileSync.
>
> If locked files are not an issue, like the folders/files you intend to
> sync or mirror will be quiescent (not open for write access) at the time
> the sync job runs, free SyncBack will suffice. Sometimes users want to
> include their e-mails in backups, but without VSC those files are likely
> locked. They may be unaware some files are locked until and unless they
> review the job logs.
>
> Or use FreeFileSync, as you mention, for a freeware solution that does
> support VSC provided you don't need Syncback SE's other features now or
> in the future.

I believe you can manually issue a command, to VSS snapshot a volume.
Then pass the identifier to the sync program. As a breadcrumb of the
sphere of operation, vssadmin can show you the existing shadows...

vssadmin list shadows # administrator window

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {30b3692c-b3a3-4054-bbda-1f0656252692}
Contained 1 shadow copies at creation time: 3/17/2024 8:17:39 PM
Shadow Copy ID: {5c6088b4-ba72-4d64-b0ae-a8813204cd46}
Original Volume: (H:)\\?\Volume{bd4d69bc-6fbb-4f12-b804-f32c6b9e828c}\ <=== original volume
Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1 <=== pointer to [frozen] shadow copy
Originating Machine: TEN
Service Machine: TEN
Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
Type: ClientAccessibleWriters
Attributes: Persistent, Client-accessible, No auto release, Differential, Auto recovered

And for some reason right now, my Win11 Home is running a shadow on
the other OS partition, which is weird, as System Protection is turned off.
Hmmm. (This is likely a leftover from a quick Macrium run, some time ago.)

The OPs volume is a Data Volume, not the C: drive, so the risk
is a lot lower that a file will be open and have outstanding writes.
On the C: drive for example, there are a couple things that VSS
cannot quiesce (the VSS of C: is not "perfection").

Another way to do it, would be to do the backup operation from
a WinPE disc. Macrium RescueCD, 32-bit version, allows running
32-bit programs, as long as they don't involve too many regular
Windows subsystems. For example, VSS is missing in the subsystems,
but Macrium doesn't need it in that case (uses PSS), since all the target
file systems are at rest. The Rescue CD loads WinPE.wim into
RAMDisk X: and during the CD-based OS run, the OS is in X: .
This leaves the C: drive letter available to label the regular
Windows C: (that is at rest) that way. I have run HDTune 2.55 (free)
from there for benchmark purposes for example. The reason for doing
it there in particular, is a WinPE OS is "quiet" and doesn't interfere
with benchmarks.

These are all bar-bet material in terms of practicality,
but the point is, you don't have to "pay for VSS" in a case
like this. You can work around it.

Paul