The life of a repo man is always intense.

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.usenet / Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricNigel Reed
|+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricDavid Goodwin
||`- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricIndira
|`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
| `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricIvo Gandolfo
|  +- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
|  `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
|   `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricIvo Gandolfo
|    `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
|     `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricIvo Gandolfo
|      `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricAdam W.
> [...]
|      ||    |`- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricGrant Taylor
|      ||    `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricGrant Taylor
|      |+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricPeter Burns
|      ||+- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricRuss Allbery
|      ||`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricJohn
|      || `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicdavid
|      |`- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricScott Dorsey
|      `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricScott Dorsey
|       `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicnoel
+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricAndrew
|+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historiccandycanearter07
||`- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricEnrico Papaloma
|`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricAndy Burns
| `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicimmibis
|  +* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricWolf Greenblatt
|  |+* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricNomen Nescio
|  ||`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricR Daneel Olivaw
|  || `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricThe Doctor
|  |`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricDutch Spammer
|  | `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricDavid Goodwin
|  +* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricWolf Greenblatt
|  |`* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricScott Dorsey
|  | `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricPassing by
|  `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricAndy Burns
|   `* Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricR Daneel Olivaw
|    `- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. HistoricD
`- Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historicfloffy@gallaxial.com

Pages:123
Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<uril8f$2lhnp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5080&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5080

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:31 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

On 26/02/24 19:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> Indira wrote:
>>
>>>   <https://i.postimg.cc/RZkhn6bj/googlegroups.jpg>
>>
>> Notice it doesn't say historical content will remain 'searchable.'
>
> It does, if you follow the learn more link ...
>
> "You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content
> posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."

All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks before
deleting their search archive.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urioa2$3k20r$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5081&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5081

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:20:34 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:20 UTC

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:38:45 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:38 UTC

On 26/02/24 20:20, Ivo Gandolfo wrote:
> [...]
Doesn't really make sense to call it a full feed if you are filtering
99.9% of it, does it?

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<uriu6k$3k20s$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5087&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5087

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:01:08 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:01 UTC

subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable
> Doesn't really make sense to call it a full feed if you are filtering
> 99.9% of it, does it?

I have write 99,9%? No. I'm filter only the 6/7% of the total (I
excluded the group's for the user backup, and some groups clearly
useless/piracy).
But that's easy recover that group if you want it.

--
Ivo Gandolfo

<urj8eg$ssv$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5092&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5092

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:56:00 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:56 UTC

On 2/26/24 10:00, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Huh, I never heard of that. When did that happen?

Multiple times. I don't have dates.

--
Grant. . . .

<urj8ie$ssv$3@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5093&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5093

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:58:06 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:58 UTC

On 2/26/24 11:37, Jan K. wrote:
> Grant used to work at Google so much of what he knows is insider
> information. You're not an insider. Me neither. I'm just a somebody.

I heard about three instances before I was at Google where Google had
gotten rid of or severely down sized the team of system administrators.

Then I was one of the many that they got rid of last year in a
restructuring.

Google really values things differently than most people think they do
or would do so themselves.

--
Grant. . . .

<urkafe$34ior$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5097&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5097

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:36:46 +0100
 by: immibis - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 09:36 UTC

On 26/02/24 22:01, Ivo Gandolfo wrote:
> [...]

As I just cited, a full binary usenet feed is about 200TB per day, and
requires a dedicated server-to-server physical link to move that much
traffic. If your feed is only 100GB per day, you're not getting 99.95%
of the feed, so it's not "full". It may be all the binary content
available from whatever server you're getting it from, but it's still
not full.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urrnhs$3mt6d$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5191&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5191

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:02:52 -0500
logging-data="3896525"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 05:02 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:31 +0100, immibis wrote:

> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks before
> deleting their search archive.

What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which means
adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable posting.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<c373a5f23ca00d2530692cea8f499a7a@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5195&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5195

From: nobody@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:30:53 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:30 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024, Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> posted some

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:31 +0100, immibis wrote:
>
>> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks
>> before deleting their search archive.
>
> What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which
> means adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable
> posting.

It's not too late to make that suggestion to them.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<ursbug$g8vn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5197&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5197

From: Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:50:56 +0100
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:50 UTC

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2024, Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> posted some
>
>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:31 +0100, immibis wrote:
>>
>>> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks
>>> before deleting their search archive.
>>
>> What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which
>> means adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable
>> posting.
>
> It's not too late to make that suggestion to them.

It was the obvious way to go, but Google is pushing the narrative
"Usenet is dead so we're dropping it" rather than "we were the problem"
so I'd be surprised if that search-engine company still permitted
searching of new usenet content. They are throwing their toys out of
the pram.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urt2n0$26g9$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5201

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:19:28 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:19 UTC

In article <ursbug$g8vn$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
R Daneel Olivaw <Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> On 29 Feb 2024, Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> posted some

>>> What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which
>>> means adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable
>>> posting.
>>
>> It's not too late to make that suggestion to them.
>>

>It was the obvious way to go, but Google is pushing the narrative
>"Usenet is dead so we're dropping it" rather than "we were the problem"
>so I'd be surprised if that search-engine company still permitted
>searching of new usenet content. They are throwing their toys out of
>the pram.

The cry of incompetent liars!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

<urt9ko$3qgng$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5206&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5206

From: wolf@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:17:45 -0500
logging-data="4014832"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 14:08:48 +0100, s|b wrote:

> Good riddance.

You have a very bad attitude young man. <said in a scolding sort of way>
Your attitude is the same attitude many people with bad attitudes have.

People, like you, with a bad attitude, are terrible netizens because they
never think to search for an answer before they post their questions, or
they'd wrongly recommend a bad answer having never ever searched first.

I'd agree with you only if Google had killed the posting ability, but if
Google kept the incoming feeds being fed into their updated search engine.

The loss of a good (well, OK) search engine, is something to be sad about.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urti2k$1eto1$1@andyburns.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5210&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5210

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 21:41:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 21:41 UTC

immibis wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> "You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content
>> posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."
>
> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks before
> deleting their search archive.

Maybe ... I certainly don't expect they'll keep it around forever.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urtvta$nfs5$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5214&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5214

From: noreply@dutch.spammer (Dutch Spammer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering, news.software.nntp, news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:29:16 +0000
 by: Dutch Spammer - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:29 UTC

On 01/03/2024 05:02, Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
> What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which means
> adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable posting.
You can search for anything using google and 99.999% of the time you
will find the answer. There is no need to search Google Groups that was
ridden with 99% spam.

We now have Maori server to replace GoogleGroups sewer!!!!.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<MPG.404d63c3f749b8e98969a@news.zx.net.nz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5215&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5215

From: david+usenet@zx.net.nz (David Goodwin)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:27:22 +1300
 by: David Goodwin - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:27 UTC

In article <urtvta$nfs5$1@paganini.bofh.team>, noreply@dutch.spammer
says...

> On 01/03/2024 05:02, Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
> > What I wish Google had done was keep the search archive active, which means
> > adding all the new posts to the search engine, but just disable posting.
> You can search for anything using google and 99.999% of the time you
> will find the answer. There is no need to search Google Groups that was
> ridden with 99% spam.

There aren't that many websites around today that still contain all the
information they contained in 1996, if they even existed then at all.
And the Internet Archives wayback machine is not searchable in any way.

I've searched Googles usenet archives many times to find information
that the web has forgotten, or information that has never existed on the
web outside of old usenet archives.

> We now have Maori server to replace GoogleGroups sewer!!!!.

Maori server?

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<urulq2$odu2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5217&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5217

From: Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 08:51:30 +0100
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 07:51 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:
> immibis wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> "You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content
>>> posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."
>>
>> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks
>> before deleting their search archive.
>
> Maybe ... I certainly don't expect they'll keep it around forever.

Does their search archive include all the spam they helped inflict on us?

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<3443809f4cd95b519b6e4012f3c3e591@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5219&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5219

From: J@M (D)
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:43:32 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
 by: D - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:43 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 08:51:30 +0100, R Daneel Olivaw <Danny@hyperspace.vogon.gov> wrote:
>Andy Burns wrote:
>> immibis wrote:

>>> All this actually means is that Google will wait at least 2 weeks
>>> before deleting their search archive.
>>
>> Maybe ... I certainly don't expect they'll keep it around forever.
>
>Does their search archive include all the spam they helped inflict on us?

it could be that google has gathered and continues to gather every bit
and byte of information universally (globally), thus the infinitesimal
sector of usenet (<0.0...001%?) is also saved and stored in facilities
at locations undisclosed . . . so the short answer is yes, it probably
is complete and unabridged, including all usenet articles (since 1980)

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<us07i6$87s$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5225&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5225

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Date: 2 Mar 2024 22:00:38 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:00 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:
>People, like you, with a bad attitude, are terrible netizens because they
>never think to search for an answer before they post their questions, or
>they'd wrongly recommend a bad answer having never ever searched first.
>
>I'd agree with you only if Google had killed the posting ability, but if
>Google kept the incoming feeds being fed into their updated search engine.
>
>The loss of a good (well, OK) search engine, is something to be sad about.

It was a useless and totally broken search engine. Nearly a decade ago
they broke the indices so that you couldn't search effectively by text
in the body or by author, making it nearly useless. You needed to know
the message-ID to find any message. Then they broke THAT and you couldn't
search by message-ID. Then it was totally useless.

After the indices were broken, the "advanced groups search page" suddenly
disappeared with no explanation, and that's about the point where it
became clear that they weren't ever going to fix anything.
--scott

<2ce5a3b73d0416935096e814243b34e8@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5279&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5279

From: none@invalid.nut (Passing by)
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:25:15 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
 by: Passing by - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:25 UTC

On 02 Mar 2024, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) posted some

> Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:
>>People, like you, with a bad attitude, are terrible netizens because
>>they never think to search for an answer before they post their
>>questions, or they'd wrongly recommend a bad answer having never ever
>>searched first.
>>
>>I'd agree with you only if Google had killed the posting ability, but
>>if Google kept the incoming feeds being fed into their updated search
>>engine.
>>
>>The loss of a good (well, OK) search engine, is something to be sad
>>about.
>
> It was a useless and totally broken search engine. Nearly a decade
> ago they broke the indices so that you couldn't search effectively by
> text in the body or by author, making it nearly useless. You needed
> to know the message-ID to find any message. Then they broke THAT and
> you couldn't search by message-ID. Then it was totally useless.
>
> After the indices were broken, the "advanced groups search page"
> suddenly disappeared with no explanation, and that's about the point
> where it became clear that they weren't ever going to fix anything.
> --scott

Odd. I've used the following additional search options in every group in
the "Conversations" box, "v - Advanced search". It's still there now and
working fine.

Clicking it results in the following search options:

"Posted By"
"Subject"
"Has the words"
"POSTED WITHIN" -"Start Date" - "End Date"
"Has attachment"

Works like a champ except where posts have been deleted and content is no
longer available of course.

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<usqpkg$p4s$1$arnold@news.chmurka.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5283&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5283

From: aw@somewhere.invalid (Adam W.)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:48:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D6VlYO6H/SLER1gNCJjjFi7kB4g= sha256:2GG6paiyyz4HIq1AI+I6YkUd/eXoaTDL8Yj+LibDQOQ=
sha1:mV2QkmroYo+OilMe16HBdwh2fyI= sha256:LTrVaYMBlfpqiODXFuMpZ5qEneqfYE5KdmkDLUgyz+s=
 by: Adam W. - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:48 UTC

In news.admin.peering Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:

> I think most admins are using custom scripts to produce nocem messages.
> I know that I am. It's just necessary to produce a properly formatted
> and signed post, so not too complicated. I produce mine (i2pn2.org) with
> a php script, then post it with a bash script.

I just revisited this thread, so pardon me for resurrecting it after two
weeks.

It's the same in my case. A combination of Python, C++ and Bash code
filters articles and generates NoCeMs on my server (news.chmurka.net).

There's a standarized and ready-made way to process incoming NoCeMs, but
I don't know of any ready-made way to generate them (which doesn't mean
that it doesn't exist).

When adding custom filters to the server, one usually has to write some
code anyway, and NoCeMs, as Retro Guy said, aren't that complicated to
generate.

Here's a piece I wrote about NoCeMs on my server, if someone's interested.

http://news.chmurka.net/nocem.php

It's true that it's a way to automate spam filtering across servers that
trust each other, but:

a) technically nothing prevents ordinary users from using NoCeMs in their
own readers (public keys are public, everyone can verify NoCeMs), I just
don't think that there are readers that support it (but it can be added
with some amount of coding)

b) nothing prevents ordinary users from posting NoCeMs, publishing a
policy, and gaining reputation (leading to their NoCeMs being honored by
servers), although this mechanism works best if it has a realtime feed of
articles (so it's best to run it on a newsserver)

Adam

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

<ust07m$11ff$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5284&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5284

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:53:26 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:53 UTC

Hi Adam,

> There's a standarized and ready-made way to process incoming NoCeMs, but
> I don't know of any ready-made way to generate them (which doesn't mean
> that it doesn't exist).

There's a Perl module for that:
https://metacpan.org/pod/News::Article::NoCeM

use News::Article::NoCeM;
my $nocem = new News::Article::NoCeM();

$nocem->hide($type, $spam);
$nocem->make_notice($type, $name, $issuer, $group, $prefix);
$nocem->sign($keyid, $passphrase);
$nocem->issue($conn, $ihave);

Also, Paolo made public the tools he wrote in PHP to generate NoCeM
messages:
https://github.com/Aioe/acancelbot
https://github.com/Aioe/usenetools/tree/master/lib (see cancel.php)

I've not tested them, but they may be a good start.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Je ne suis ni pour ni contre, bien au contraire ! » (Coluche)

<f9abvid00d771t6b6ng3g0jr7dtqpauiu5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5287&group=news.admin.net-abuse.usenet#5287

From: floffy@gallaxial.com (floffy@gallaxial.com)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:14:22 -0400
 by: floffy@gallaxial.com - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:14 UTC

Good, Less Crappy Post

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 07:26:14 +0530, Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote:

>No longer can you "search before you post" at this URL for this newsgroup
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering>

> Historical content remains viewable."
> <https://i.postimg.cc/RZkhn6bj/googlegroups.jpg>
>
>The question to iron out in this thread would be what are the alternative
>web-based no-account Usenet-only search engines for general use which
>are updated and which provide a unique pointer to any given message post?

-
telnet://gallaxial.com BBS
irc://gallaxial.com IRC With Service
http://gallaxial.com:33333 Old Fashon torrent Tracker
ftp://gallaxial.com FTP server fidonet files +++
http://gallaxial.com:88 Web-FTP
-