I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning. -- Plato

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

SubjectAuthor
* Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
+* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionVanguardLH
|`* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
| `* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionVanguardLH
|  +* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
|  |+* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionVanguardLH
|  ||+* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
|  |||`* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionVanguardLH
|  ||| +- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
|  ||| `- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  ||`- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
|  |`- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionAndy Burns
+* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionKen Blake
|+* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
||+- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
||`- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionKen Blake
|`* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
| `- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionKen Blake
`* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionNewyana2
 +* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 |`* Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionNewyana2
 | +- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT
 | `- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 +- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionAllan Higdon
 `- Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home editionT

Pages:12
Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<uvvcmc$3ett2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5342&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5342

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:27 UTC

Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:

https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases

I adore it.

Home edition still drive me nuts. But a little less so
with this utility.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<19pn93k9b9623.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5343&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5343

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 01:05:54 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 06:05 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>
> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>
> I adore it.
>
> Home edition still drive me nuts. But a little less so
> with this utility.

Correction: lusrmgr.msc, not lsurmgr.msc. "usr", not "sru".
Local USeR ManaGeR
^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^

All policies are registry entries. Microsoft publishes an Excel
spreadsheet listing all the policies, and where are the regkeys for
them. That's why you see many articles on policies giving you a regkey
and data item's name and its value.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=104678

By the way, the Github project says it uses WMI (instead of
DirectoryServices). WMI got deprecated in 2016.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/wmi-command-line-wmic-utility-deprecation-next-steps/ba-p/4039242
Starting January 29, 2024, you'll find Windows Management
Instrumentation Command line (WMIC) feature "disabled by default" on the
insider build of Windows 11.

PowerShell CIM (Common Information Model) cmdlets replaced WMIC (WMI
command-line interface). To see a list of the cmdlets, run "Get-Command
-Module CimCmdlets" inside PowerShell. No idea why Microsoft thinks
working with cmdlets inside PowerShell is easier than using WMIC
commands.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/learn/ps101/07-working-with-wmi?view=powershell-7.4

Not sure to the replacement lusrmgr.msc Control Panel applet (using the
Microsoft Management Console snap-in) you found will work in the future.
Looks like the Github project was started 4 years with the last update
was back in Feb 2021. You might want to contact the author to ask the
survival of his lusrmgr replacement. So far, the deprecation is only on
the CLI (Command-Line Interface) client to WMI (aka WMIC). No idea what
Microsoft plans for WMI itself.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<uvvuu3$3iiu9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5344&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5344

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 01:38:26 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 08:38 UTC

On 4/19/24 23:05, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>
>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>
>> I adore it.
>>
>> Home edition still drive me nuts. But a little less so
>> with this utility.
>
> Correction: lusrmgr.msc, not lsurmgr.msc. "usr", not "sru".
> Local USeR ManaGeR
> ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Stinking typos. Mumble, Mumble ...

> All policies are registry entries. Microsoft publishes an Excel
> spreadsheet listing all the policies, and where are the regkeys for
> them. That's why you see many articles on policies giving you a regkey
> and data item's name and its value.
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=104678

I love it! Thank you!

> By the way, the Github project says it uses WMI (instead of
> DirectoryServices). WMI got deprecated in 2016.
>
> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/wmi-command-line-wmic-utility-deprecation-next-steps/ba-p/4039242
> Starting January 29, 2024, you'll find Windows Management
> Instrumentation Command line (WMIC) feature "disabled by default" on the
> insider build of Windows 11.
>
> PowerShell CIM (Common Information Model) cmdlets replaced WMIC (WMI
> command-line interface). To see a list of the cmdlets, run "Get-Command
> -Module CimCmdlets" inside PowerShell. No idea why Microsoft thinks
> working with cmdlets inside PowerShell is easier than using WMIC
> commands.

No fooling! Hopefully, WMIC will probably be around for a while.

I read somewhere that I can not remember that Power Shell
has not been all that popular for administrative tasks.

> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/learn/ps101/07-working-with-wmi?view=powershell-7.4
>
> Not sure to the replacement lusrmgr.msc Control Panel applet (using the
> Microsoft Management Console snap-in) you found will work in the future.
> Looks like the Github project was started 4 years with the last update
> was back in Feb 2021. You might want to contact the author to ask the
> survival of his lusrmgr replacement. So far, the deprecation is only on
> the CLI (Command-Line Interface) client to WMI (aka WMIC). No idea what
> Microsoft plans for WMI itself.

Thank you for the insightful response!

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<uhl72jhun966ai2uq2udukdp8l640isqet@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5345&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5345

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 07:51:25 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:51 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>
>https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>
>I adore it.

Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v015t1$3r4rf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5346&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5346

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:43:28 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:43 UTC

Ken Blake wrote on 4/20/24 7:51 AM:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>
>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>
>> I adore it.
>

> Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?

Hi, Ken.

Not 'T' but a few reasons.
Windows Home does not include the GPO for Local User and Group
Management(LUSGM) policy settings/changes.
- the github program, if understanding correctly, provides a tool that
Home does not have for managing Local and Group policies, in addition it
can also be used on Windows Pro as an alternative to Pro's included and
built-in GPO LUSGM.

Additionally Microsoft periodically release ADX templates that update(add
new, remove old, modify) existing policies.
- in the business(Enterprise arena) its quite common for Admins to use
and keep their ADX supported policies updated.

Thus even in no-Enterprise environment, individuals or businesses that
support non-Server admin managed devices(Windows Home) can use the github
tool for managing policies on those devices, and a bit easier than single
or multiple created entries in the registry.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v01ach$3ru95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5347&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5347

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:00:01 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:00 UTC

On 4/20/24 07:51, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>
>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>
>> I adore it.
>

> Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?

It is far easier to create and configure users and groups
than the awkward tools that Home users are forced to use.

My customer base is small business and home users.
Now-a-days, I never come across a Windows Server.
Windows Server are of no use to small business and
home users. Even the software that runs on my customer
base that act as a server will run on a workstations
just fine and a TON more reliably.

So the tool is great for setting up users and groups
when the customer buys a bunch of Home editions
because they are two cents cheaper than Pro

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v01ar2$3ru95$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5348&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5348

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:07:46 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:07 UTC

On 4/20/24 12:43, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote on 4/20/24 7:51 AM:
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>>
>>> I adore it.
>>

>> Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?
>>

> Hi, Ken.
>
> Not 'T' but a few reasons.
> Windows Home does not include the GPO for Local User and Group
> Management(LUSGM) policy settings/changes.
>  - the github program, if understanding correctly, provides a tool that
> Home does not have for managing Local and Group policies, in addition it
> can also be used on Windows Pro as an alternative to Pro's included and
> built-in GPO LUSGM.
>
> Additionally Microsoft periodically release ADX templates that
> update(add new, remove old, modify) existing policies.
>  - in the business(Enterprise arena) its quite common for Admins to use
> and keep their ADX supported policies updated.
>
> Thus even in no-Enterprise environment, individuals or businesses that
> support non-Server admin managed devices(Windows Home) can use the
> github tool for managing policies on those devices, and a bit easier
> than single or multiple created entries in the registry.

Everything you need is just right there. Saves tons of time.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<3ziq7alm45u2.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5349&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5349

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:15:32 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:15 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I read somewhere that I can not remember that Power Shell
> has not been all that popular for administrative tasks.

I've not bothered to learn it. I get online snippets of code. My
public library has some PowerShell books, so I'll eventually get those.

The WMIC tool (command line interface to WMI) got deprecated.
PowerShell still uses WMI. Programs can still use the WMI API, too. I
don't what your lusrmgr alternative uses: calls to CLI or API.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v01ccm$3s3f7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5350&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5350

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:34:14 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:34 UTC

On 4/20/24 14:15, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that I can not remember that Power Shell
>> has not been all that popular for administrative tasks.
>
> I've not bothered to learn it. I get online snippets of code. My
> public library has some PowerShell books, so I'll eventually get those.

There are something like four command I user from PowerShell.
I have them written down in my keepers.

The first thing that drives me nuts about Power Shell is
that I have to highlight the output with my mouse to be
able top actually read they dim obscure red outputs
on black backgrounds. Does not make a good impression.

> The WMIC tool (command line interface to WMI) got deprecated.
> PowerShell still uses WMI. Programs can still use the WMI API, too. I
> don't what your lusrmgr alternative uses: calls to CLI or API.

I use lusrmgr all the time in Pro editions. Everything
is just right there to set up users and groups. It is
nice now have the same option in Home edition too.
It saves me a bunch of time. But if the tool does
not synergize with you, then obviously, do not use it.

There are a lot of things I just do not like, especially
in Windows 11, that I just do not use. In 11, I typically
will just <win><R> and write in what I want rather than
suffering the Chromebook interface. I have a cheat sheet
of msc and cpl commands I just copy and paste.

It is an individual thing. Whatever works for you.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<jn9hlam9os9f.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5351&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5351

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:55:33 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:55 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> The first thing that drives me nuts about Power Shell is
> that I have to highlight the output with my mouse to be
> able top actually read they dim obscure red outputs
> on black backgrounds. Does not make a good impression.

Just like with the cmd shell, click on the left-mode icon in the
titlebar of the shell window. That's the Control menu. Select
Properties. You can change fonts, colors, buffer size, window size,
etc. Both shells have a ton of customization settings.

> There are a lot of things I just do not like, especially
> in Windows 11, that I just do not use. In 11, I typically
> will just <win><R> and write in what I want rather than
> suffering the Chromebook interface. I have a cheat sheet
> of msc and cpl commands I just copy and paste.

In Windows 10, I created a shortcut in the Start Menu tiles to a folder
that has all the old Control Panel shortcuts. For example, one of the
folder's shortcuts is to sysdm.cpl (System Properties). I created a
folder (Control Panel shortcuts) in which I created shortcuts to the CP
tools, and then pinned the folder to my Start Menu's tile pane. Did the
same for SysInternals and Nirsoft tools: create a folder, put shortcuts
in it, and Pin To Start.

Alternatively, and still available in Win10's taskbar, you can add
toolbars (folders), and within each you can add shortcuts. When the
QuickLaunch toolbar disappears, I created a new folder called
QuickLaunch that was added as a toolbar in the taskbar, and which had
the often-used shortcuts. I have toolbars for: QuickLaunch, Web,
E-mail, Entertain, Security, Veracrypt, and the included Address Bar (so
I can enter URLs or special strings, like shell:appsfolder) without
having to open File Explorer to use its address bar. I have 6 toolbars
in my Taskbar, all on the bottom row of a 2-row height Taskbar (which
also makes the Clock and Systray larger).

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v01j86$3tn5i$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5352&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5352

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:31:17 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:31 UTC

On 4/20/24 14:55, VanguardLH wrote:
> Just like with the cmd shell, click on the left-mode icon in the
> titlebar of the shell window. That's the Control menu. Select
> Properties. You can change fonts, colors, buffer size, window size,
> etc. Both shells have a ton of customization settings.

Did that, didn't work, got pissed, exited. Now
I just go into cmd shell and enter "PowerShell.exe ..."
so I can see it.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v01j9q$3tn5i$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5353&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5353

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:32:09 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:32 UTC

On 4/20/24 14:55, VanguardLH wrote:
> In Windows 10, I created a shortcut in the Start Menu tiles to a folder
> that has all the old Control Panel shortcuts. For example, one of the
> folder's shortcuts is to sysdm.cpl (System Properties). I created a
> folder (Control Panel shortcuts) in which I created shortcuts to the CP
> tools, and then pinned the folder to my Start Menu's tile pane. Did the
> same for SysInternals and Nirsoft tools: create a folder, put shortcuts
> in it, and Pin To Start.
>
> Alternatively, and still available in Win10's taskbar, you can add
> toolbars (folders), and within each you can add shortcuts. When the
> QuickLaunch toolbar disappears, I created a new folder called
> QuickLaunch that was added as a toolbar in the taskbar, and which had
> the often-used shortcuts. I have toolbars for: QuickLaunch, Web,
> E-mail, Entertain, Security, Veracrypt, and the included Address Bar (so
> I can enter URLs or special strings, like shell:appsfolder) without
> having to open File Explorer to use its address bar. I have 6 toolbars
> in my Taskbar, all on the bottom row of a 2-row height Taskbar (which
> also makes the Clock and Systray larger).

Awesome!

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<vt2fa4o2hp9n.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5354&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5354

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:11:47 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 03:11 UTC

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Just like with the cmd shell, click on the left-mode icon in the
>> titlebar of the shell window. That's the Control menu. Select
>> Properties. You can change fonts, colors, buffer size, window size,
>> etc. Both shells have a ton of customization settings.
>
> Did that, didn't work, got pissed, exited. Now
> I just go into cmd shell and enter "PowerShell.exe ..."
> so I can see it.

I loaded PS from the Start Menu instead of from an existing command
shell. I changed the background color from blue to red. Nothing
changed in the current console window; however, once I exited that
shell, and reloaded it, the background color changed. The changes
appear to pend until the next instance of the PS shell.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v027ot$56cb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5355&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5355

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:21:33 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 05:21 UTC

On 4/20/24 20:11, VanguardLH wrote:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Just like with the cmd shell, click on the left-mode icon in the
>>> titlebar of the shell window. That's the Control menu. Select
>>> Properties. You can change fonts, colors, buffer size, window size,
>>> etc. Both shells have a ton of customization settings.
>>
>> Did that, didn't work, got pissed, exited. Now
>> I just go into cmd shell and enter "PowerShell.exe ..."
>> so I can see it.
>
> I loaded PS from the Start Menu instead of from an existing command
> shell. I changed the background color from blue to red. Nothing
> changed in the current console window; however, once I exited that
> shell, and reloaded it, the background color changed. The changes
> appear to pend until the next instance of the PS shell.

Seen that on some cmd shells too. When I tried
with PowerShell to do what you stated, it did not
work the second time. I probably gave up too easily.

Since I issue a lot of stuff to the system when
I am programming, I just stay in cmd so I can
troubleshoot it. My calls to the system are all
cmd calls (when I am not doing API calls), so it
works for me.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<l8jv22F8gllU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5356&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5356

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:54:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 07:54 UTC

On 20/04/2024 22:34, T wrote:

> The first thing that drives me nuts about Power Shell is
> that I have to highlight the output with my mouse to be
> able top actually read they dim obscure red outputs
> on black backgrounds.

Try running stuff from within the Powershell ISE

You can change colours in Tools/Options if required.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<h59a2j5i3t9eaqq8l3jr5h6kq4ahlujc84@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5357&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5357

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 07:38:09 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:38 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:43:28 -0700, ....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
<winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote on 4/20/24 7:51 AM:
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>>
>>> I adore it.
>>

>> Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?
>>

>Hi, Ken.
>
>Not 'T' but a few reasons.
>Windows Home does not include the GPO for Local User and Group
>Management(LUSGM) policy settings/changes.
> - the github program, if understanding correctly, provides a tool that
>Home does not have for managing Local and Group policies, in addition it
>can also be used on Windows Pro as an alternative to Pro's included and
>built-in GPO LUSGM.
>
>Additionally Microsoft periodically release ADX templates that update(add
>new, remove old, modify) existing policies.
> - in the business(Enterprise arena) its quite common for Admins to use
>and keep their ADX supported policies updated.
>
>Thus even in no-Enterprise environment, individuals or businesses that
>support non-Server admin managed devices(Windows Home) can use the github
>tool for managing policies on those devices, and a bit easier than single
>or multiple created entries in the registry.

Thanks, Winston.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<u69a2j90ak7f2ko8oabu49neir5d2u96d0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5358&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5358

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 07:39:04 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:39 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 14:00:01 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 4/20/24 07:51, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:27:07 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>>
>>> I adore it.
>>

>> Can you tell us why? What do you like so much about it?
>
>It is far easier to create and configure users and groups
>than the awkward tools that Home users are forced to use.
>
>My customer base is small business and home users.
>Now-a-days, I never come across a Windows Server.
>Windows Server are of no use to small business and
>home users. Even the software that runs on my customer
>base that act as a server will run on a workstations
>just fine and a TON more reliably.
>
>So the tool is great for setting up users and groups
>when the customer buys a bunch of Home editions
>because they are two cents cheaper than Pro

Thanks, T. Since I use Pro, it's probably not for me.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<l8knpaFbji8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5359&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5359

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:56:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:56 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> I don't

[know?]

> what your lusrmgr alternative uses: calls to CLI or API.

The VB source is available, can see plenty of windows API calls, can't
see any spawning of wmic.exe

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<fc0c84b2-1868-2d07-448b-81d37b96b736@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5360&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5360

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:22:08 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:22 UTC

On 4/19/2024 11:27 PM, T wrote:
> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>
> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>
> I adore it.
>
> Home edition still drive me nuts.  But a little less so
> with this utility.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to help, but it doesn't load
for me. I get a window that says "loading". ProcExp says
it's eating progressively more memory. But it just hangs there.

I do have gpedit for Home Edition. (Pro has always seemed
like a silly moneymaking scam to me, and I'm not interested
in BitLocker.)

But you do realize the even gpedit is just a wrapper for IT
people who don't know how to use the Registry? What sorts
of user settings do you need to set that you can't just do in
the Registry? I don't understand why Home "drives you nuts".

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v03kda$e7ac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5361&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5361

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:03:20 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

Newyana2 wrote on 4/21/24 9:22 AM:
> On 4/19/2024 11:27 PM, T wrote:
>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>
>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>
>   I do have gpedit for Home Edition. (Pro has always seemed
> like a silly moneymaking scam to me, and I'm not interested
> in BitLocker.)
>
>   But you do realize the even gpedit is just a wrapper for IT
> people who don't know how to use the Registry?

That's a far cry from being accurate.
In and IT managed Admin environment GP Editor plus MSFT available ADMX
files provides the ability to change policies for multiple items in on
single instance across image without the need to create scripts or reg
files with the necessary changes for all Windows(Home, Pro, Enterprise,
Education).

ADMX files include options not included in the base GP Editor snap-in
In an IT Admin environment deployment of multiple GPO changes and latest
ADMX files can be done to a base image for deployment to new or existing
devices. Also, the ability to deploy ADMX files to domain controller
across a domain controller then replicated to all domain controllers in
the domain.

Another benefit, when updating hardware and Windows, the GPO/ADMX changes
can be isolation tested on a group of devices before deploying to an
image or domain across existing devices in the entire fleet(hundreds,
thousands).

I.e. in an IT Admin environment, use of regedit for changes across an
image for use on multiple clients or domain or domain controller is path
of poor execution, lower productivity, and potential error.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v03mni$empb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5362&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5362

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:42:56 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:42 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 4/20/24 8:11 PM:
> T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> Just like with the cmd shell, click on the left-mode icon in the
>>> titlebar of the shell window. That's the Control menu. Select
>>> Properties. You can change fonts, colors, buffer size, window size,
>>> etc. Both shells have a ton of customization settings.
>>
>> Did that, didn't work, got pissed, exited. Now
>> I just go into cmd shell and enter "PowerShell.exe ..."
>> so I can see it.
>
> I loaded PS from the Start Menu instead of from an existing command
> shell. I changed the background color from blue to red. Nothing
> changed in the current console window; however, once I exited that
> shell, and reloaded it, the background color changed. The changes
> appear to pend until the next instance of the PS shell.

Another route, just open Powershell in its GUI/Full Menu bar mode -
Windows Powershell ISE, then use the menu bar item 'Tools/Options' to
make the necessary changes.

Powershell ISE provides the same command type console but adds more
flexibility and both an interactive and execution approach than just a
commad console....including the entire array of powershell commands(that
can be searched, scrolled, selected and inserted into the command console
without having to type(the command).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<op.2mlecfek1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5363&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5363

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:13:17 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:13 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:22:08 -0500, Newyana2 <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> On 4/19/2024 11:27 PM, T wrote:
>> Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition:
>>
>> https://github.com/akruhler/AccountManagement/releases
>>
>> I adore it.
>>
>> Home edition still drive me nuts. But a little less so
>> with this utility.
>
> I'm not sure what this is supposed to help, but it doesn't load
> for me. I get a window that says "loading". ProcExp says
> it's eating progressively more memory. But it just hangs there.

I was interested enough to try it, but the same result for me.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v040l2$gnbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5364&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5364

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:32:18 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:32 UTC

On 4/21/24 09:22, Newyana2 wrote:
> I do have gpedit for Home Edition.

Where did you get it?

Also Pro has one license for RDP server. A lot
of my cyusotmers use it. It automatically descales
your screen to your monitor, which is a wonderful
feature. Plus, it is fast.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<12c7dd7f-3fe8-4a0f-2f15-b9437ca376c1@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5365&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5365

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:03:07 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 00:03 UTC

On 4/21/2024 2:03 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:

> I.e. in an IT Admin environment, use of regedit for changes across an
> image for use on multiple clients or domain or domain controller is path
> of poor execution, lower productivity, and potential error.

I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with managing a fleet of
computers in corporate environment. I'm just talking about
working with one computer at a time, like most of here are doing.
I've never found any useful purpose for gpedit. It's easier just
to understand the Registry and know the settings.

Re: Tip: Local Users and Groups (lsurmgr.msc) for Windows Home edition

<v04ctf$j263$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5366&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#5366

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
edition
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:01:35 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 01:01 UTC

On 4/21/24 17:03, Newyana2 wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 2:03 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>

>> I.e. in an IT Admin environment, use of regedit for changes across an
>> image for use on multiple clients or domain or domain controller is
>> path of poor execution, lower productivity, and potential error.
>>

>    I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with managing a fleet of
> computers in corporate environment. I'm just talking about
> working with one computer at a time, like most of here are doing.
> I've never found any useful purpose for gpedit. It's easier just
> to understand the Registry and know the settings.

I like the built in explanations and the fact
that the settings take effect immediately
without having to reboot.