From: confused@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: I think I figured out the Tor/Stunnel port problems after many Microsoft Patch Tuesdays
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 20:51:41 +0100
 by: Peter - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 19:51 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>> But I just want with this message to warn others in case they are having
>> their Stunnel/TOR ports being locked up on Wednesdays on Microsoft Windows.
>>

> Is it Wednesdays following second Tuesdays in the month?
> That sounds like what regulars here call "Patch Tuesday".
>
> Or is it every Wednesday?

Good question. I don't know. I will start checking. It happened today
though, and Microsoft updated something because I saw a message that
flashed by with a medium blue (not dark blue, not light blue) screen.

What I found out works most of the time is rebooting after rebooting.

My guess, which is unscientific and may very well be wrong, is that
Microsoft is allocating ports for "something" but it has to be a lot of
ports to constantly hit Stunnel & Firefox Tor so consistently.

I don't change the Tor ports as I have no idea what they are, but I tried
in the first dozen or two dozen times to use a bridge (which is what Tor
said it wanted) until I realized it had nothing to do with bridges.

For Stunnel, I would change the port by one or change it by ten thousand,
and that would work too, but now I think the best solution is to reboot.

For safety's sake, I'll be rebooting twice every Wednesday until I figure
this out, but now after a reboot the Stunnel & Tor problems disappeared.

I wish I understood it - but I don't - but I don't want anyone else to go
through the hell I went through. I'll check specifically, as you suggested,
if it's second Tuesdays too.