"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve Martin

devel / comp.theory / Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

SubjectAuthor
* Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answerolcott
+* Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answerimmibis
|`* Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answerolcott
| `- Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answerimmibis
`- Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answerRichard Damon

1
Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

<urek5g$1mh2n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=54050&group=comp.theory#54050

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Richard_cannot_say_exactly_why_Ȟ_applied_to_
⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:45:20 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:45 UTC

Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
H.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt

Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
gets the wrong answer.

All of his answers are of the circular form that Ȟ
cannot do it because it cannot be done.

What exactly is it specifically about about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
that prevents Ȟ from deriving an answer consistent with its own
behavior?

I say that the reason is that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ is self-contradictory.
Richard disagrees yet cannot say what the reason is thus making his
rebuttal vacuous.

Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

<urfbvo$1rgp9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=54051&group=comp.theory#54051

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re:_Richard_cannot_say_exactly_why_Ȟ_applied_to_
⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:31:51 +0100
 by: immibis - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 12:31 UTC

On 25/02/24 06:45, olcott wrote:
> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
> H.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn   // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt
>
> Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
> gets the wrong answer.

If H is your x86utm halting decider function and Ȟ is your x86utm
counter-example function then I can tell you exactly why it gets the
wrong answer:

Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts. However:
H says that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt.
This proves that H gets the wrong answer. No further proof is needed.

> All of his answers are of the circular form that Ȟ
> cannot do it because it cannot be done.

It can be done. For example, this function gives the correct answer when
applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩:
int H2(ptr p, ptr i) {return 1;}

However, it gets other answers wrong. H2 gives a wrong answer when
applied to ⟨Ȟ2⟩ ⟨Ȟ2⟩, and when applied to ⟨infloop⟩ ⟨complete works of
William McGonagall⟩, and when applied to many other inputs.

Every program gives at least one wrong halting answer.

> What exactly is it specifically about about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
> that prevents Ȟ from deriving an answer consistent with its own
> behavior?

It's not prevented. See above. The only thing that's prevented is that a
halting decider gets ALL answers correct. Every halting decider gets at
least one answer wrong.

Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

<urfqv6$1uugn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=54069&group=comp.theory#54069

From: polcott2@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:47:34 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:47 UTC

On 2/25/2024 6:31 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 25/02/24 06:45, olcott wrote:
>> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
>> H.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn   // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt
>>
>> Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
>> gets the wrong answer.
>
> If H is your x86utm halting decider function and Ȟ is your x86utm
> counter-example function then I can tell you exactly why it gets the
> wrong answer:
>
> Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts. However:
> H says that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt.
> This proves that H gets the wrong answer. No further proof is needed.
>

>> All of his answers are of the circular form that Ȟ
>> cannot do it because it cannot be done.
>
> It can be done. For example, this function gives the correct answer when
> applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩:
> int H2(ptr p, ptr i) {return 1;}
>
> However, it gets other answers wrong. H2 gives a wrong answer when
> applied to ⟨Ȟ2⟩ ⟨Ȟ2⟩, and when applied to ⟨infloop⟩ ⟨complete works of
> William McGonagall⟩, and when applied to many other inputs.
>
> Every program gives at least one wrong halting answer.
>
>> What exactly is it specifically about about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
>> that prevents Ȟ from deriving an answer consistent with its own
>> behavior?
>
> It's not prevented. See above. The only thing that's prevented is that a
> halting decider gets ALL answers correct. Every halting decider gets at
> least one answer wrong.

Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt

What is it specifically about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ that
causes every implementation of Ȟ get the wrong answer.

I say that the reason is that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ is
self-contradictory for Ȟ.

Any disagreement requires an alternative reason. The reason
why cannot correctly report on its own behavior cannot be no
reason and it cannot be a circular reason.

Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

<urg0pi$3s35h$9@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=54079&group=comp.theory#54079

From: richard@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:26:58 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:26 UTC

On 2/25/24 12:45 AM, olcott wrote:
> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
> H.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn   // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt
>
> Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
> gets the wrong answer.
>
> All of his answers are of the circular form that Ȟ
> cannot do it because it cannot be done.
>
> What exactly is it specifically about about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
> that prevents Ȟ from deriving an answer consistent with its own
> behavior?
>
> I say that the reason is that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ is self-contradictory.
> Richard disagrees yet cannot say what the reason is thus making his
> rebuttal vacuous.

Non-existence doesn't need a reason. It can be just a fact.

Why is there no Russel's teapot in the asteroid belts?

Can we be sure?

Re: Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer

<urhgga$2e1bb$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/devel/article-flat.php?id=54102&group=comp.theory#54102

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ gets the wrong answer
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:01:13 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:01 UTC

On 25/02/24 17:47, olcott wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 6:31 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 25/02/24 06:45, olcott wrote:
>>> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
>>> H.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn   // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt
>>>
>>> Richard cannot say exactly why Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
>>> gets the wrong answer.
>>
>> If H is your x86utm halting decider function and Ȟ is your x86utm
>> counter-example function then I can tell you exactly why it gets the
>> wrong answer:
>>
>> Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts. However:
>> H says that Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt.
>> This proves that H gets the wrong answer. No further proof is needed.
>>

>>> All of his answers are of the circular form that Ȟ
>>> cannot do it because it cannot be done.
>>
>> It can be done. For example, this function gives the correct answer
>> when applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩:
>> int H2(ptr p, ptr i) {return 1;}
>>
>> However, it gets other answers wrong. H2 gives a wrong answer when
>> applied to ⟨Ȟ2⟩ ⟨Ȟ2⟩, and when applied to ⟨infloop⟩ ⟨complete works of
>> William McGonagall⟩, and when applied to many other inputs.
>>
>> Every program gives at least one wrong halting answer.
>>
>>> What exactly is it specifically about about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩
>>> that prevents Ȟ from deriving an answer consistent with its own
>>> behavior?
>>
>> It's not prevented. See above. The only thing that's prevented is that
>> a halting decider gets ALL answers correct. Every halting decider gets
>> at least one answer wrong.
>>

> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qy ∞ // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ halts
> Ȟ.q0 ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⊢* Ȟ.qn // Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ does not halt

You are mixing up two different programs here. Let me fix it:
Ȟy.q0 ⟨Ȟy⟩ ⟨Ȟy⟩ ⊢* Ȟy.qy ∞ // Ȟy applied to ⟨Ȟy⟩ ⟨Ȟy⟩ does not halt even
though it thinks it does
Ȟn.q0 ⟨Ȟn⟩ ⟨Ȟn⟩ ⊢* Ȟn.qn // Ȟn applied to ⟨Ȟn⟩ ⟨Ȟn⟩ halts even though it
thinks it does not

> What is it specifically about Ȟ applied to ⟨Ȟ⟩ ⟨Ȟ⟩ that
> causes every implementation of Ȟ get the wrong answer.

What is it specifically about 1-x that causes it every natural number to
not give the same value as x?