From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: DOS and Firmware Card not in Slot 0
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:07:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

The other day I got my integer Apple II out of a box and set it up to make
sure it is still working, and also to fiddle around with it.

This Apple has a non-standard configuration which I learned makes it
incompatible with a lot of software, but I just recently read an explanation
of why. I have a Legend 64KC RAM card in slot 0 which is an extended,
multi-bank Language Card. Then in slot 2 I have an Applesoft Firmware card.
I have other cards in other slots too, but they're not relevant to this
discussion.

I found some notes in the Saturn RAM card manual that talk about the
problems with DOS and a Firmware card beyond slot 0. This is the problem I
have: most of my DOS disks will hang on boot. The notes in the Saturn manual
say:

---

The relocated DOS (provided by Saturn) has been designed to operate properly
with an Applesoft or Integer card during the boot process, and can therefore
be booted from either Integer of Applesoft. However, the standard DOS 3.3 or
3.2 (such as that present on the system master) does not have a provision
for use of an Integer or Applesoft card from a slot other 0. As a result,
the booting of a standard DOS 3.2 or 3.3 must take place from the main board
ROM BASIC (via PR#6, etc.) when the Integer or Applesoft card is being used
from a slot other than 0, with the relocated DOS. If the precaution is not
taken to return to the main board ROM BASIC prior to the boot in this case,
the firmware card will be left on after the boot with no way for DOS to turn
it off, and the system will hang.

---

I think the problem is a conflict with $C0x0 soft-switches. By the way, I
have a box with 13-sector PROMs, and I have a handful of 13 sector disks.
I'm tempted just to convert this Integer Apple II to a 48K, 13-sector system
and live like it's 1978.

:-/

--
]DF$